1/30 - Justice League

One funny strip per case of 12!

Moderator: Walky

1/30 - Justice League

Postby TruLifeGuy on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:28 pm

Y'know, Mattel really learned nothing from the way Hasbro used-and-abused Batman during the '90's. Of course, having six-inch comic-style, traditional animated, JL-animated, and The Batman versions of the caped crusader on the shelves at the same time isn't quite as bad as 1996. Back then there was Total Justice, Animated (which, if I remember correctly, had two different card-styles), the five-inch Legends leftovers, the six-inch Legends, the few remaining Batman Returns leftovers, and the Batman Forever figures, all taking up more space on 7C than was allotted for Star Trek and the Ninja Turtles put together.

Uhm, yeah. Don't get me started on super-hero figures. :roll:

Wow ... Willis is pretty good at faking that Bruce Timm style. For an added laugh, has anyone else tried reading "I can breathe in space" in a Kevin Conroy voice?
An unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys.
The only plug you'll see outta me.
TruLifeGuy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ganthorion on Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:56 am

Hey don't knock Total Justice, apart from the excessively useless 'weapons' and frustrating body poses, it was the first glimpse of some characters/costumes that haven't been 'glorifyed' in plastic since Super Powers (and haven't been seen since too)... I just wish that I could have gotten the 2nd wave of characters over here in Australia (I couldn't even get them off ebay without selling a kidney or 2). It's a shame they did bomb so badly, because some of the proposed characters further on down the line would have been awesome :/ I just wish I could have afforded to get the JLA spin-off series as well, the Evil Holograms looked awesome, so did Red/Blue Electric Supes.

And yeah, I just tried a mock Conroy voice doing the lines.. it's a riot ;)

p.s. The "& Robin" movie figures were possibly the worst of the bunch.
Fanboy Crossing Missing, presumed Inhumed.
Ganthorion
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TruLifeGuy on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:38 pm

I'm not knocking Total Justice. I loved Total Justice. JLA, too, even if I couldn't quite justify the cost of the boxed sets either. After all, aside from the holo-villains, I already had most of the characters I wanted.

I'm not sure I'd say really bombed, either. Beyond the boxed sets, single-carded figures with various recycled/tweaked parts were a longtime staple at KB Toys (and included the hard-to-find figures from TJ3, minus Parallax). Single-carded Sparky the Wonder Ohm figures weren't translucent, though.

The only real complaints I had about the line in any form were a lack of villains in JLA, the silly-looking Superboy, the hopelessly out-of-scale Wonder Woman that was part of the TRU-exclusive last gasp of the line, and Blue Beetle available only as part of an overpriced two-pack I didn't get either.

And the B&R line gave customizers the single best basic male base figure ever with the Dick Grayson figure, so I'd say the line wasn't nearly as bad as, say, Knight Force Ninjas.
TruLifeGuy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ganthorion on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:49 pm

Oh man, I seriously envy you.. all we could get here was wave 1 (GL, Flash, Robin, Batman (and HE was the rare one), and Darksied), but then again I bought about at least 6 Flashs and about 2-3 GLs and Aquamans because I found they were great for customising.

A lot of reports I heard was that the line did indeed tank, but I think that's mainly due to the expectations that it'll be as popular has Super Powers (am I the only person in the world that though that the Secret Wars line produced a better looking toy.. just going slightly OT there), but that's mainly not including the JLA line that resurrected most of the sculpts.

Yeah, the WW looks so supremely out of place in the shots I saw (the first thing I thought was it was a joke made by a prankster), but I never did see the Superboy toy (the MOS line produced a pretty good version of him and Steel actually... and I'm not talking about the surfer varient). I barely remember the Blue Beetle figure, but again it was impossible to get over here, which is a shame because I like the character.

Yeah, i'll agree with the Dick Grayson figure, I'm using him to customize a Dave Jones Superhero figure (CRFH!!!), but the rest looked pathetic... especially the Poison Ivy figures (which they are STILL trying to sell them at the Toys R Us store in town, and at full price *shakes head*). I've only ever seen one decent custom of that figure, and even THAT didn't inspire me enough to pay any money for it.

Going back to the B:TAS line, I actually bought a 'varient' batman for the express purpose of turning him into the current Dr Midnite, and it's so far looking alright, but thats only because it was just a repaint and not a resculpt... thus proving they DO serve a purpose ;) then again I was nearly in shock when I saw a normal costumed batman in the stores (this is before the JL line). Actually there is a two pack of Batman and Nightwing (comic versions) out at the moment and the Nightwing figure looks great, I think it's to counter balance the 'Yet Another Varient' Batman.

There is an argument in favour of the multi costumed batmen, there is a 60s Batman comic (which my dad owns) which shows the 'various' costumes Batman had in the Batcave, of course this is now no longer canon thanks to Crisis thank glod.. I mean there was things like 'Bullseye' Batman (which was a totally white costume with a BIG RED BULLSEYE on the front) and 'Rainbow' Batman ffs... but it does make you think ;)
Ganthorion
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TruLifeGuy on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:48 pm

Any Batman was a rare figure? :o I'm not sure I can believe that.

Have you ever seen http://www.toyotter.com? It's got as close to a complete archive of TJLA figures as anyone's probably going to get, plus a bunch of other figures that kinda sorta fit the style.

I finally settled the Wonder Woman issue by putting a couple of legitimately taller figures (Shaq Steel and Plastic Man) between her and the others, and steadfastly refusing to admit a problem.

A lot of reports I heard was that the line did indeed tank, but I think that's mainly due to the expectations that it'll be as popular has Super Powers

The first wave did very well, at least at my store, except for Darkseid. Superman did very well in the second wave. We never actually received the third wave, but the distribution went somewhat FUBAR. There were plenty of toy lines out there that did far worse than that, so I still think tanked may be a bit harsh.

(am I the only person in the world that though that the Secret Wars line produced a better looking toy.. just going slightly OT there)

Not necessarily.

You're a customizer, huh? Got any pics to share?
TruLifeGuy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ganthorion on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:58 am

I haven't been looking (let alone discussing) this stuff in YEARS!!!

I'm sorry, I meant over here (namely Perth, Western Australia), you sometimes had to pay $20 for the Bats figure, but you could pick up 5 flashes for roughly $6 a pop. I never liked the Darkseid figure anyway, so I never bought him, but he was also more available then bats (and only slightly less expensive).

The only examples of my work online atm are on my fan site The Jade Page, but there are some stuff hidden in my gallery.
Ganthorion
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Shortpacked!