Donation scheme

One funny strip per case of 12!

Moderator: Walky

Donation scheme

Postby Bobthespirit on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:32 pm

I think you might get people to pay, but I think your approach is off. People are going to feel 'my donation would only be a small fraction of the amount needed to get a strip, and even then, it wouldn't be worth it for just one strip anyway.'

What seems to work more for webcomics is ask for generic large sums of money in exchange for some sort of special bonus material combined with the vague threat of scaling back the schedule. (That worked for Sluggy!)

If you made It's Walky a weekly subscription strip, that's when I'd consider paying, depending on the price.

(And just my two cents, I'm much more interested in your new Shortpacked venture than your frozen-in-time Roomies strips -- though both are funny)
Bobthespirit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby orochi527 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Yes, but then he's not trying to get money. If anything I think he was actually trying to get people to stop asking him for more IW! strips, although that seems to have backfired now that donations are already up to almost $200 after only 2 days.
orochi527
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Bobthespirit on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:41 pm

True, I did consider maybe he's looking for a way out of doing a lot of IW strips. If he made it a membership thing, he'd probably get a lot more money, but then he'd have to do one every week.

A spike at the beginning is to be expected. They'll taper out in a week or two.
Bobthespirit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:46 pm

Seeing how he made 3 weeks worth of money in two days, I am quite sure he'll be busy for quite some time.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nick 101 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:31 pm

They'll be an IW! strip every Saturday if this keeps up. :)
AKA - NinjaNick, Proud Member and Head Ninja of the People Who Hate People Club!
My Livejournal - my DA gallery
Nick 101
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm

Either that, or he ups the price to $1000 :)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Scotty on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:18 pm

Even then there'd be at least one a month.
There is no method to my madness. Neither is there madness to my method. I prefer to keep work and pleasure separate.
If you play Guild Wars, feel free to add Scott the Green to your friends list.
Scotty
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ozor on Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:43 pm

Who else is wondering how much money it will take to get him to ditch those old gray golems and do six Shortpacked! per week?
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Ozor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Bobthespirit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:24 pm

To get him to do six Shortpacked a week we'd probably have to outbid what the syndicates are paying him. :wink:

Just thought I'd briefly brag that I was right about the Walky money petering out. We might not even get one next Saturday at this rate.

Edit: Okay. At the time I wrote this it was down below $100. It seems that people were just waiting until it was necessary to make sure there *was* a comic to donate more. Now, it's back above $350. Thus, it seems my bragging may have been premature, and this actually may last for a while.

So...Davis Willis gets $5200 a year to draw one extra comic a week. Not too shabby. Maybe he should have set the price higher, because it seems people are only really motivated to donate when the tally drops under $100.
Bobthespirit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Shortpacked!