I declare this forum dead

The ongoing story of Chelsea Chattan, a witch, who after a three year absence, returns to her hometown only to find out that things are not always what they seem.

Moderator: Jamie

I declare this forum dead

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:48 am

So, when is a good time for the memorial service or should we just skip that and scatter the ashes?

:wink:

Seriously, in general I think forums are dying out anyway due to the blog and other social networking. I kind of wish I could put my blog back up on the site, but that would make the front page even bigger. Since this forum is dead, I'm not getting rid of the tagboard and I pretty much need the ads that's on there. It is a quandary.

Jamie
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Silver Adept on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'd say scatter the ashes at oceanside, myself, but that's just me. If there's a better commenting way, then so be it. I just kind of like forums for their ability to archive previous thoughts for recall later. But if it's not being used, it's not being used.

You get to hear my opinion through other channels, anyway.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ShardZ on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:52 am

The Tagboard has ads? I figured it was all Google-type stuff, or set up by Keenspot.

And I seriously doubt that forums in general are dying. You've just provided the lazyman's way of commenting, which is what people use when they don't care about lengthy discussion or posterity (both of which I also value). :roll: (I'm not joking, but I'm not trying to be mean, either. It's just the truth of your particular situation.)

And honestly, the Tagboard isn't terribly active, either. It seems that advertising the comic is a good bet, to try and build a more active fanbase. But yeah, if it'll save money I guess you should close (delete?) the forums.

Hold the memorial service on the next major update day, on the Tagboard of course. And maybe the blog(s).
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers and eldritch vapors.

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am

ShardZ wrote:The Tagboard has ads? I figured it was all Google-type stuff, or set up by Keenspot.

Sorry. The webpage has ads, not the tagboard. If the tagboard had ads it wouldn't be on the site.

Closing the forums wouldn't save any money, so unless it starts collecting spam I'll keep it in a vegetative state.

Take care,

Jamie
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
NCWCCC

"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Klyfix on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:54 pm

Hmm, so am I the only person in the universe who prefers forums (even if I'm just lurking)
to those on page comment thingies, which are kinda hard to follow and read?

Oh well....
V. S. Greene : klyfix@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...
Eckzylon
Klyfix''s Journal Thingy
"Death and Poverty love me so much they brought
friends!"-Vash in "Trigun"
Klyfix
Keenspot Despot

Vegatative state

Postby HiFranc on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 am

I'm kinda busy these days.

From what I remember of years gone by the forums are active when something unexpected or dramatic happens. With the amount of foreshadowing there's been, the current sequence [in Hell] doesn't feel unexpected.

There'll probably be a lot more comment when Dracula & Chelsea are resurrected together.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ShardZ on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:43 am

Klyfix wrote:Hmm, so am I the only person in the universe who prefers forums (even if I'm just lurking)
to those on page comment thingies, which are kinda hard to follow and read?

No, you most certainly are not. :D

ShardZ wrote:You've just provided the lazyman's way of commenting, which is what people use when they don't care about lengthy discussion or posterity (both of which I also value). (I'm not joking, but I'm not trying to be mean, either. It's just the truth of your particular situation.)

I've expressed this view elsewhere, too, and Silver Adept seems to think likewise. It's just not a good system for fostering a community, but apparently neither is registering for a free forum. :roll: This forum used to be very active, but I guess that's the definition of a "heyday." C'est la vie.

Franc: I'm sad to say I'm sort of doubting that prediction. But with my luck I'll be proven wrong. :nervous: Here's hoping.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Placeholder Subject

Postby Silver Adept on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 am

Some part of it may also be an increasing specialization of sorts - Keenspot has a wide variety of comic authors and artists, and they're all obviously very good, but people who read, say, Ozy and Millie (also have Define Cynical, I know, I know) may not read Clan of the Cats. Or College Roomies From Hell! Or Nukees. If you only read one comic in the sequence, then the tagboard is great. If you read four-five or more of the Keenspot lineup, then registering for the forums makes a lot more sense.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: I declare this forum dead

Postby Renee Katz on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Jamie wrote:Seriously, in general I think forums are dying out anyway due to the blog and other social networking.
Another reason I think forums are dying is because of spammers and bots. I remember when you didn't even have to register to post on a forum, now you have to register an wait for an e-mail or for an admin to approve you and some forums are STILL closing down due to spamming. They just aren't as fun anymore. :cry:
Renee Katz
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Klyfix on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:37 pm

It seems to vary; some forums are at least somewhat busy.

Oddly, well, there are comics I read where I don't much look at the forums for whatever reason;
some for no real reason and some because I'm not hugely fond of the forum culture
(Errant Story for instance; a little more on the vulgar side than my taste). And there are
forums I read but never register to post; the forums for "The Wotch" and associated comics for instance.
In those cases they're fairly busy and I figure I'd just get drowned out in the crowd plus I'm getting an
aversion to registering over and over again.

Here I look if there's something I'm curious about in the strip, to see what other folk think
or if in my arrogance I figure I have an insight and thus want to post something..
Eckzylon
Klyfix''s Journal Thingy
Klyfix
Keenspot Despot

Postby ShardZ on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 am

I sympathize about the reluctance to join new forums (mostly because it's a hassel). However, eventually I just bit the bullet (and created the same identity everywhere I went, to keep things simple :) ) I suppose beacuse I felt I had something worthwhile to say. Arrogance is wonderful isn't it?

I, too, wasn't sure it would be worth it just to post on one comic's forum (though there are plenty who do that, as well). But I eventually realized that I liked more than one comic enough to comment on them, like Clan of the Cats and Bruno the Bandit, and found that the main forum was an interesting place as well. While all of my most frequented forums have dipped in activity at one time or another, it's still a nice place over all, and I'm thankful to be a part of it. (And I eventually branched out to other forums, discovered other comics, etc., mostly because I hoped to share my favorite comics with others. It didn't always work out, but learning is a part of life.)

Overall, it was a growing experience for me, and one I don't regret. :) [/shameless exposition]

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kabbalist on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:57 pm

But...but...I like forums. I just don't post much. :P

Three words: Lazy and busy.
Master Zen-Dao Meow and the Napping Cat's Dream: Come see the webcomic, and then peruse the forum that it spawned.

Click here for the big picture!
Kabbalist
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jamie on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 pm

I suppose I could be narcissistic about the whole thing and post my own threads. :shifty:

"Hey Cats, Chelsea is Naked Again!!"

:roll:

Uhhhhh ... no.

<snark>

I guess the sad truth is COTC is just not worth talking about. Oh woe is me. *sniff* I am doomed to obscurity, (the sign of a true artist), unless I kill myself. Then everyone will talk, especially if I do it creatively or add sex to it somehow. Maybe go clutching a photo of Paris Hilton. That'll do it!

</snark>

Speaking of snarks, it used to bother me that Eric Burns of Websnark didn't like my comic. If he didn't like a comic it was considered crap by the community. I knew that wasn't true and even Eric went so far as to state that as fact , but people will be people and they chose their own gods to worship. It doesn't bother me any more. I don't need the validation. I don't even want it. Part of me wants to live the life of an hermit/artist and just do the comic for myself, letting no one else see it. But there's a problem in that COTC is actually making money and readership keeps steadily growing. I must be doing something right.

Anyway, as far as this place goes, I'll check in every so often to clean out the spam and the cobwebs. You guys just make sure to turn out the lights when you leave.

Take care,

Jamie
Clan of the Cats
NCWCCC

Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Klyfix on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Jamie wrote:Speaking of snarks, it used to bother me that Eric Burns of Websnark didn't like my comic. If he didn't like a comic it was considered crap by the community. I knew that wasn't true and even Eric went so far as to state that as fact , but people will be people and they chose their own gods to worship. It doesn't bother me any more. I don't need the validation. I don't even want it. Part of me wants to live the life of an hermit/artist and just do the comic for myself, letting no one else see it. But there's a problem in that COTC is actually making money and readership keeps steadily growing. I must be doing something right.

I've been to something like three or four panels featuring Eric Burns at the Arisia SF Con and perhaps
the most consistent thing has been that the strips the panelists praise are almost all strips I'd not
read and that even after the con I mostly never got around to looking at or wasn't impressed
when I did (I know I'm supposed to be impressed with "Achwood" or whatever it is,
but I'm not). And this despite generally enjoying the discussions and half-way getting
their points. Go figure.
Eckzylon
Klyfix''s Journal Thingy
Klyfix
Keenspot Despot

Postby ShardZ on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 am

There are a lot of comics that I'm sure Burns will never be interested in, but I was under the impression that he preferred humor over drama, anyway. (I could be wrong, but I thought it was something like that.)

It's great to hear that the readership is increasing! It could be that people either don't have time to comment (yeah, it's been mentioned before--I just couldn't fathom it because there had been so many people posting back in the day, which wasn't that long ago), or have difficulty finding what they might have wanted to comment on in the massive archives.

Which is why I tried to provide links as often as possible back when I was asking questions.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Drooling Iguana on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 pm

It's just mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.
I used to think I was a child; now I think I am an adult -- not because I no longer do childish things, but because those I call adults are no more mature than I am.
Drooling Iguana
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby KLCtheBookWorm on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 am

I LOVE Clan of Cats! I'm just horrible with keeping up on forums. I think I got burned out with rapid fire comments in other ones I read and then got a real job so I only have time for the comic or a forum community. The comic wins.

Also, I get annoyed when signing into KeenForums. When I do, it's because I have something to say in a particular comic's forum. It dumps me into the index and then I have to search. Why can't it sign me in where I clicked the sign-in link?

I'm not crazy about tagboards. Maybe because my first experience was on Elf Life and they weren't using it to talk about the comic strip at all. I admit I don't look at your tagboard. But I do have all the LiveJournals in my Bloglines list to see when they are updated. I just suck at commenting on them too.

I'll try to drop in more for you guys that want to dissect the comic.
I love anticipation, except when I have to wait for it. -- Dusty668

ImageImageImage
KLCtheBookWorm
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:42 am

You don't "Log In" to a certain forum, just "Quote" or "Post Reply" in the thread you want to post in. Enter your name and password, and you're good to post.

This whole develpment with draco-Chelsea reminds me of that one person who made a rant about how predictable Jamie was making Dracula, whereupon Jamie hinted that he intended to do something very different with his version of Drac.

Drac "helping" Chelsea might not have seemed that out-of-character (since he was still serving his own means) but maybe we'll be seeing something different now. He hasn't actually done anything for a while aside from slice demons... that we know of. :)

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:24 am

Considering the locale they're in, and most people's wish to remove themselves [forbidden word] that locale, I'd say Dracula protecting his ride out of there is a perfectly logical thing to be doing.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ShardZ on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am

Agreed. Which is something the aforementioned person would probably, from what I recall, have been offended/bored by.

But would one expect Dracula, historical or fictional, to give a boon to his arch enemy (the form of a dragon) when she could--probably--easily use it against him and leave him stuck in hell?

Well, maybe. If there was a chance he could get out. I'm just speculating that he had a hand, maybe even subconsciously, in this latest development. But that's mostly because there aren't any other remotely logical reasons for a European-style dragon. Middle-eastern dragons looked different (and wasn't Ereshkigal defeated?), and did dragons really play that large a role in Pagan, or even Celtic lore? (At least, the Celtic myths I've read seemed to focus more on humans and regular animals such as dogs and horses...)

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Klyfix on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:38 pm

ShardZ wrote:
Well, maybe. If there was a chance he could get out. I'm just speculating that he had a hand, maybe even subconsciously, in this latest development. But that's mostly because there aren't any other remotely logical reasons for a European-style dragon. Middle-eastern dragons looked different (and wasn't Ereshkigal defeated?), and did dragons really play that large a role in Pagan, or even Celtic lore? (At least, the Celtic myths I've read seemed to focus more on humans and regular animals such as dogs and horses...)

Perhaps since Dracula can mean "Son of the Dragon" he figures he'll have some control
or advantage over Chelsea Dragon.

Hmm, wait, a dragon is a symbol of Wales. So there's at least some
presence of dragons in Celtic lore if not specifically in Chelsea's heritage.
Eckzylon
Klyfix''s Journal Thingy
Klyfix
Keenspot Despot

Postby Silver Adept on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:54 am

Chelsea is also a child of stories of the modern era, which means she's probably had a few exposures to dragons and the awesome power that they carry. So when letting go of things and going for raw magical and physical power, a dragon might very well have been the first thing that came to mind. That it would then be a European-style Western Dragon is more a matter of which stories Chelsea's been exposed to.

If she'd been raised on other stories, we might see her turning into a storm giant, or a Valkyrie, or perhaps a nine-tailed kitsune, all of which are powerful.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kabbalist on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:15 am

Uber-witches are practically required to turn into dragons at some point, especially if they're letting their dark side roll. Seriously, it's in the Witch of the Month handbook. :lol:

On a more serious note, Chelsea really did manage a thoroughly creepy dragon. I'm guessing that if she and Drac really go at it hammer and tongs there's going to be some nasty collateral damage to the Inferno.
Master Zen-Dao Meow and the Napping Cat's Dream: Come see the webcomic, and then peruse the forum that it spawned.

Click here for the big picture!
Kabbalist
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Greg on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:38 am

Jamie wrote:"Hey Cats, Chelsea is Naked Again!!"

:roll:

Uhhhhh ... no.

<snark>

I guess the sad truth is COTC is just not worth talking about. Oh woe is me. *sniff* I am doomed to obscurity, (the sign of a true artist), unless I kill myself. Then everyone will talk, especially if I do it creatively or add sex to it somehow. Maybe go clutching a photo of Paris Hilton. That'll do it!

</snark>

OK, I realise it's been a while since I dropped in, but you're not allowed to go thinking the comic is not worth talking about! I've spent the last two nights catching up on the previous years comics, so don't quit on me now I'm up to date.

However, naked Chelsea pics are always appreciated. ;-)
-------------
Sir Gregory of Melbourne, KCI
Knight of the Order of Jubal
"What I tell you three times is true..." - The Bellman
Greg
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Valentine on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:51 am

Oh my. I actually feel kind of guilty. I still read, but there has been so much happening, that I have little time for forums - I used to be quite active on Livejournal, too (as Jamie and SilverAdept might know), but there my activity has ceased, too.

I think back very fondly to the old times, when we were active and had posts every day...

So long,

Valentine
-Proud to be a Sharply Shining Point!
Don't mind my orthography, it confuses me more than it does confuse you.
Valentine
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Clan of the Cats