Oblivion

The ongoing story of Chelsea Chattan, a witch, who after a three year absence, returns to her hometown only to find out that things are not always what they seem.

Moderator: Jamie

Oblivion

Postby scooby2 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Okay, I'm missing something here. Cynthia asks how they know that dead vampires have no souls given that the vampires are dead and can't tell anyone.

But if you can send a person's soul to hell or bring them back you must have some way of finding or detecting or measuring souls. So why can't a third party, such as a contributor to the books Paul's reading, tell if vampire souls are destroyed?
scooby2
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 pm

As far as I can tell, all they've got the power to do is kill people and bring them back to life. The disposition of souls is managed by a higher power. If your resurrection spell doesn't do anything when cast on a dead vampire, how can you tell if it's because it's the wrong spell, because vampires can't be resurrected, or because vampires don't have a life after death?
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that vampires can be resurrected as depicted HERE.

:D

Jamie
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby scooby2 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:12 am

C'mon, if I could remember comics from 5 years ago I wouldn't bother reading the forums. Yeah, I know, that's what archives are for...

As far as I can tell, all they've got the power to do is kill people and bring them back to life. The disposition of souls is managed by a higher power.

That's all they've done, but any good plot involves having some kind of secret power. Jamie is sending people to hell and they remember who they are while they're there. But I guess that in hell they give you a mind and they can put what they want in it, within some arcane limits. So he's
still being coy about how it works. The Vatican used to claim that corpses weighed slightly less after death and that the missing mass was the soul. The idea is that the soul is physical, which is how I suspect it works in COTC, and I suspect that there's a conspiracy at work in the ancient texts. You'll have to expound on this higher power; in the meantime I'll put my cards on the table.

The concept of an immortal soul has some big problems, aside from the notion of torture / rapture for eternity. It made more sense before modern science, but now we've figured out what most parts of the brain do and can even replicate the individual functions in machines. I suspect that it's mostly an engineering challenge between what we know and a human-like intelligence.

So if the soul is what can't be detected by modern science it must be the tiniest spark of awareness. In that case, there's no practical difference between oblivion and any other kind of afterlife. And if you can resurrect someone, you could swap in a new soul just as easily or, as Gustav (??) seems to be doing, use a piece of your own. No one would notice the difference, even the resurrected person would be fooled.

If for souls time is only an issue in the mortal realm that would mean a soul is only connected to physical experiences, not part of them. In that case life after death would be indescribable, but it wouldn't be oblivion either.

The "vampires have no soul" would mean that the dead vampire's soul is destroyed for all time, which would be interesting because someone in the past who could detect a soul would see a soulless child.
scooby2
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Clan of the Cats