The comic until now! (08/14/19)

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

The comic until now! (08/14/19)

Postby Sonoran_Simpleton on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Holy Shit, is it weird to be back. Just absolutely chilling, honestly..... And im not even the first back since Yad beat me to it back in July! (Atleast i get to actually say something about the content.)

Mookie finally gave in and drew a penis. Hell has frozen over *twice*.

Comic is not offensive so far, and weirdly harkens back to Mookie's original more..... *subdued* writing, though this is probably much more on the fact that Dominic isn't around and Snout is mute, rather than Mookie changing as a writer.... I guess well have to see where it goes?
Last edited by Sonoran_Simpleton on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shari wrote:you're Mexican,etc...
Sonoran_Simpleton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The comic until now! (09/14/19)

Postby babus on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Definitely following once more. A lot of time has passed, so it'll be neat to see possible improvements.
I don't enjoy your sanity.
babus
Keenspot Despot

Re: The comic until now! (08/14/19)

Postby Juhn on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm

I will never escape this hell so I may as well just start posting in these threads again.

To add an actual opinion, these strips seem fine to me so far. Dominic not being present in the strip may be helping it. There's no awful dialogue (helped by there being no dialogue at all), and the one currently-existing female character has yet to die in a distressingly-sexualized manner and leave a corpse with its ass sticking up in the air.
Juhn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sonoran_Simpleton on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Juhn wrote:I will never escape this hell so I may as well just start posting in these threads again.

To add an actual opinion, these strips seem fine to me so far. Dominic not being present in the strip may be helping it. There's no awful dialogue (helped by there being no dialogue at all), and the one currently-existing female character has yet to die in a distressingly-sexualized manner and leave a corpse with its ass sticking up in the air.

All this being true i think thats a 1/10 on the Mookie scale.
Sonoran_Simpleton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Juhn on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:23 pm

This is where we get to find out if he's improved in the last six years.

I confess that despite begging on these forums for him to just end the damn comic and start up the superhero comic he'd clearly been wanting to write instead ever since the SuperGreg arc, I bounced hard off of Star Power the few times I tried to read it, so I have no idea how he's changed or what he's like now.

Of course, even then resurrecting Dominic Deegan means he may still fall into DDisms regardless of any growth as an author/artist. I remember him saying that leaving the snouts and cheek-teeth in, even in the newer strips, was a deliberate artistic decision because they were part of DD's "style" and without them it "wouldn't feel like Dominic Deegan anymore".

The fact that he's literally named this character Snout means he may be more self-aware about what he's doing this time around, though.
Juhn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sonoran_Simpleton on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Juhn wrote:*snip*

That's because starpower was absolute shit with no charm, sense of originality or likeable writing.... Which Dominic Deegan all had at one point.... Holy *fuck* i forgot how wild and long this ride has been someone kill me.
Sonoran_Simpleton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Juhn on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 pm

It's more that I straight up said "Just put DD out of its misery already and start writing the superhero comic you'd clearly rather be writing and I swear I will read it" a number of times.

Which I did, admittedly, for a while, until I realized I just... wasn't interested in it, so I stopped. And I'll probably never actually go back and read it. But I hope it made him happy and he enjoyed writing it.

In the meantime, I'm actually enjoying these DD updates. I hope that keeps up, but even if not I'll enjoy shooting the shit with you folks as updates come out.

And yeah, I started reading during Storm of Souls, which at the time I was pretty sure was being built up to be the climax of Dominic Deegan and it'd be ending soon.

Hell, there's still a strip from somewhere in 2006 during the denouement to Storm of Souls which I'm convinced would have made a better ending than the following 8 years of comics we got. DD certainly never would have gotten infamous, in that case, although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing looking back on it now. We got a lot out of snarking on DD after it turned sour (although from what I remember that was even starting to be the case during SoS).
Juhn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Xijiy on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:46 am

With the lack of embarrassing dialogue I feel like Snout may be the hero DD always needed. He still makes every character mug to the reader, which I feel is never going away.
Mahatma Gandhi said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Xijiy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sonoran_Simpleton on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 am

It just occurred to me how hilarious it would be if i make all this effort to come back, and Mookie sees and and just... Decided to stop drawing. Wouldn't that be a kick in my balls :V
Sonoran_Simpleton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Dominic Deegan