Premium Suggestion

The forum for PREEMIES to feel special, give feedback, talk about PREMIUM, and generally feel snootier than the freeloaders. Only PREMIUM subscribers may post, but all may read.

Premium Suggestion

Postby Duggan on Mon May 24, 2004 6:53 pm

While it's nice to be able to mark Keenspot comics and then view them as WarpKeen comics, the comics I have trouble remembering to view aren't the Keenspot ones, but the Keenspace ones. Have you ever run into a truly wonderful Keenspace comic, read all the way through the archive, then realized that either you'd have to keep remembering that URL, or it's be another one on the mess of URLs in your bookmarks? Either way, you find yourself forgetting and before you know it, you're behind again.

What I propose is, for Keenspot premium members, have a little button up in that standard toolbar that allows one to mark a strip as one you plan to read. I don't ask for any automation, automatic displays of pictures. I don't even ask for a drop-down listbox of them like the Keenspot comics. It would just be nice to have a standard place to keep track of all of these comics.
Duggan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gav on Tue May 25, 2004 9:09 am

Actually, this is a planned feature for the future. The intention is to make the "Select a Spot!" dropdown customizable for PREMIUM members. You'll be able to remove Keenspot comics that you don't read, and add Keenspace or not-as-Keen comics.

Of course, once you leave Keenspot, the dropdown will cease to exist and you'll have to hit "Back" to get back to your list, but I might work out a selectable option that keeps the Keen titlebar around and loads the other pages in a frame, or that pops out a "Remote Control" in a separate window.

I'm planning yet another feature as part of this that will remain secret because it's so nifty that I want it to be a surprise, but it should make regular webcomic surfing even easier. Hopefully, these features will be of benefit to all webcomics, as the faster you can get from site to site, the more comics you can squeeze into your day.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby STrRedWolf on Tue May 25, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm also futzing around with the idea of doing links to webcomics, maintained in a database, for personal users. That way, you'll have a bar up top with a link or four to comics, and a "Next" or "Previous" link for the next set. The comic links load into the bottom.

I have actuall code, but it's all in-house stuff.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis (Mallet Swinging Penguin Wrangler at Large)
Artist, Stalag '99 (Canmephians. 'nuff said.)
Free malleting for posting CG questions on 'Spot forums! Ask them on ours instead.
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Wed May 26, 2004 8:22 am

Oooh, kewl!! :)

Hey, while we're brainstorming... Is there any decent way to get more than one year's sub at a time? Hopefully for ever-decreasing rates? I wouldn't mind ponying up for 2 or even 3 years if the per-month price kept going down.

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Duggan on Mon May 31, 2004 11:53 am

damp_dave wrote:Hey, while we're brainstorming... Is there any decent way to get more than one year's sub at a time? Hopefully for ever-decreasing rates? I wouldn't mind ponying up for 2 or even 3 years if the per-month price kept going down.

Honestly, the biggest thing I could see with this is that they may be leery of doing this because Internet companies tend to be historically mildly unstable. While this business seems to have found success, they seem like the kind of honest, honorable people who'd resist taking money up front for a long time period that they may not be able to guarentee.

^_^ That said, I'd be willing to subscribe for more than a year. If it doesn't work out, at least I know the money's going to a good cause.
Duggan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:55 am

Since we are talking about subscribing and such... I was wondering...
Do you still get stuff for suscribing a whole year?
I was thinking of buying the back issues I don't have yet, but if I am going to get one or two for suscrbing, then I'll should get something else... :-?

Back on topic... I wouldn't mind subscribing for several years and I like the idea of a dropdown menu with all the Keenspace and other comics I read... 8)
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:29 pm

The thing is, we're already offering the PREMIUM 1-year subscription at a very low cost. Anything lower, and the cartoonists are not going to see very much money for their efforts--and it starts to get less competitive than advertising. If we were to offer multi-year subscriptions, it wouldn't be at a lower price, so there's not much point (other than locking in the existing price).

We survived the worst parts of the Internet bubble burst when 99% of Internet companies went under, due to fierce expense control, so I have the fullest of confidence that Keenspot will be around for a long time to come. However, I'm still not personally sure I'm confortable taking more than a year's worth of cash from someone at once. I mean, who knows, one day we might eliminate PREMIUM entirely for some revolutionary new can't-currently-be-imagined system? You never know.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Gav on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:31 pm

Tanukitsune wrote:Do you still get stuff for suscribing a whole year?
I was thinking of buying the back issues I don't have yet, but if I am going to get one or two for suscrbing, then I'll should get something else... :-?

I believe we've discontinued that, but don't quote me on that. I know that we no longer offer free sketches, because the artists just weren't submitting enough free sketches to cover all the subscriptions.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Tanukitsune on Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:55 am

Oh well, I better get some of the newest swag just to be on the safe side...
But I will wait for FCBD to make the order anyway, since the only reason I wanted to make an order was to get the FCBD comics.... (Which, oddly enough, are not free):P
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Return to Keenspot PREMIUM