WarpKeen's BACK!

The forum for PREEMIES to feel special, give feedback, talk about PREMIUM, and generally feel snootier than the freeloaders. Only PREMIUM subscribers may post, but all may read.

WarpKeen's BACK!

Postby Gav on Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:32 pm

Whew!

So it turns out that WarpKeen is very difficult to transfer to a new server, especially across operating systems. It took a whole lot of reprogramming and bug fixing to get it moved when the hard drive failed on the old server. But today, I worked out the last kink and it's back online. Sorry, everyone, that it was down for so long.

I'm hoping all this work will also give me the drive needed to maybe work out some of the more semi-permanent kinks that have been there all along. I didn't program WarpKeen, so I had to learn a lot about it while I was trying to fix the problems during the move. Now that I know more about it, there's less of a learning curve to try to edit it in the future.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby bryann on Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:45 pm

Hi Gav, - nice work!

one minor kink, only http://crfh.warpkeen.com/ works :)
Sysop: warpkeen.com, gallery.r3v3ng.net
The definitive CRFH!!! fanart archive : http://gallery.r3v3ng.net
My CafePress Store http://www.cafepress.com/alteredimages
bryann
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:04 am

Hrm... looks like the other comics are working, but may not be syncing correctly. For example, I've got both GPF and Newshounds on my warpKEEN start page, but both are giving me a "No Comic Displayed" error even though both strips have updated today. However, clicking on the link takes you to the archive, which seems to be working correctly. So it looks like the sync routine didn't run correctly today.

In addition, I should point out that for some odd reason, warpKEEN is showing the same GPF strip on the page twice for the dates between March 23 through 29. (March 30 hasn't updated properly.) I'm guessing it's because that's when I started a new filenaming schema to cut down on inlining and comic leeching, since March 23 is the first day that went into effect. They're still acceptable AutoKeen filenames, but with a random suffix after the date. Looks like strips for March 22 and earlier are okay, though.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby damp_dave on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:46 am

Well, all the comics are showing, today. Sadly, none of them are today's comics... (Well, I wasn't expecting SSDD to have a comic just for today, but CRFH!!!, Nukees, Sinfest, etc. should.) :(

Ooooh! I know how to fix it!
GABH--Get A Bigger Hammer! :D

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:38 pm

There's still some kinks to work out in the synching routines, but unfortunately, they are all bugs that I can't test completely until a new day comes and goes. I'm 93% certain it should work tomorrow. I've been synching them myself when I wake up in the morning.

If some of the sites didn't seem to work at first, you may have needed to wait for your DNS to update.

The GPF problem will take further research. At this moment, I want to focus on mission-critical items, but I won't forget.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby damp_dave on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:17 pm

Well, I just checked again and all seems good! :) Must be a Very Big Hammer you hit the server with. ;)

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:53 am

Hmm... It seems the synching is working now, as I'm now seeing GPF and Newshounds on the start page, and strips I know haven't updated are properly showing up as "no comics". The only one I know that updated that's still showing as "no comic" is Superosity, but Chris has been updating late a lot lately, so he may have updated after the sync usually takes place.

However, I'm still getting some DNS issues. melonpool.warpkeen.com, crfh.warpkeen.com, and gamingguardians.warpkeen.com are all coming back as unknown hosts, so the comics appear broken on the start page. I'm not sure if this is something that still needs fixed or if my local DNS hasn't caught up yet, but since I'm seeing GPF and Newshounds, I'd guess it might be the former.

As for the GPF issue, if you need to, just e-mail me privately if we need to work on it together. (I should also note that today's strip (April 1) will be updated again tomorrow, for... ahem... obvious reasons. I'm not sure if warpKEEN will catch that or not, so I thought I'd point that out just in case a cattle prod to the server is needed.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Gav on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:10 pm

jtdarlington wrote:Hmm... It seems the synching is working now, as I'm now seeing GPF and Newshounds on the start page, and strips I know haven't updated are properly showing up as "no comics". The only one I know that updated that's still showing as "no comic" is Superosity, but Chris has been updating late a lot lately, so he may have updated after the sync usually takes place.

It resynchs every hour, so if there's a comic on Superosity and none on WarpKeen after an hour, there's a problem.

However, I'm still getting some DNS issues. melonpool.warpkeen.com, crfh.warpkeen.com, and gamingguardians.warpkeen.com are all coming back as unknown hosts, so the comics appear broken on the start page. I'm not sure if this is something that still needs fixed or if my local DNS hasn't caught up yet, but since I'm seeing GPF and Newshounds, I'd guess it might be the former.

I'm seeing the same thing, but with totally different domains. I'm at a loss to explain it, though. It just seems random. I guess it's just a waiting game. I'll update the DNS serial number, just in case, though.

As for the GPF issue, if you need to, just e-mail me privately if we need to work on it together. (I should also note that today's strip (April 1) will be updated again tomorrow, for... ahem... obvious reasons. I'm not sure if warpKEEN will catch that or not, so I thought I'd point that out just in case a cattle prod to the server is needed.)

Well, it's supposed to be able to handle that, but I didn't program WarpKeen, so I can't say what will actually happen. It'll be a good idea to check tomorrow and see.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Gav on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:00 pm

Okay, the duplicate comics problem has been fixed, but there are no guarantees it won't happen again. Let me explain what happened, though it's a little involved.

Your comic is on a specific server, as you know. This server is now "giantrobotant.keenspot.com."

Your comics are synched to a central server now known as Ashfield. This is done with the option to "do not delete files that exist on Ashfield but do not exist on GiantRobotAnt." The reason for this is that we want Ashfield to act not only as a centralized depot of data, but also as a backup server. A few months ago, when I had the "delete" option on, I almost lost the Nukees site completely, because it accidentally got erased on one server, which caused the synching to erase it from the backup server.

Autokeen runs on Ashfield. This is because Keenspot.com and other pages run on Ashfield. When Autokeen runs, it updates all the comics on this central server, including GPF.

Warpkeen gets its comics from the central server, Ashfield.

So a while back, you had a bunch of comics uploaded with one name, then deleted those comics and replaced them with another name. These comics hadn't even updated to your site yet, but they were copied over in your depot comics directory to Ashfield.

Autokeen on Ashfield has been dutifully updating your site there with both sets of comics, which are later synched to Warpkeen.

So, I've deleted the excess files on Ashfield, which will solve the problem this time, but I'm not sure how to go about restructuring this setup so it doesn't happen again. I still want the Ashfield site to serve as a real backup server--and if something is accidentally deleted, it doesn't get erased on Ashfield. But I can't get Warpkeen to sync from anything other than a single centralized server without a hell of a lot of reprogramming to let it know which server every comic is on (which is prone to breaking, especially when we move things around, as we often do--that was the point of the central server). I'll have to think about this one some more...
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby STrRedWolf on Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:18 pm

You have to remember to *ALWAYS* increase the serial number so DNS is updated correctly. 'Space has it's records for the third party domains done like that -- whenever we touch 'em, we up the serial number.

BTW, when are you going to resync those domains off of 'Space? We've been asking about that for some time. Oh, and help@keenspace.com needs to be forwared back to us *OR* the MX record of keenspace.com needs to point to the KS server, so we can control the mail (and forward stuff to other folk, I just set that up some time ago).
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis (Mallet Swinging Penguin Wrangler at Large)
Artist, Stalag '99 (Canmephians. 'nuff said.)
Free malleting for posting CG questions on 'Spot forums! Ask them on ours instead.
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:22 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:You have to remember to *ALWAYS* increase the serial number so DNS is updated correctly. 'Space has it's records for the third party domains done like that -- whenever we touch 'em, we up the serial number.

Yes of course, I know that. The number was increased, but there were still DNS problems, so I increased it again, just to be sure.

BTW, when are you going to resync those domains off of 'Space? We've been asking about that for some time. Oh, and help@keenspace.com needs to be forwared back to us *OR* the MX record of keenspace.com needs to point to the KS server, so we can control the mail (and forward stuff to other folk, I just set that up some time ago).

This is all Nate's area. I forwarded your emails to him. These are not PREMIUM issues, so this discussion doesn't belong here.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby STrRedWolf on Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:36 pm

I know. Getting a hold of Nate however is another problem.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis (Mallet Swinging Penguin Wrangler at Large)
Artist, Stalag '99 (Canmephians. 'nuff said.)
Free malleting for posting CG questions on 'Spot forums! Ask them on ours instead.
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:42 pm

Well, hey... Things were bad again for a while, but this morning the page actually loaded up correctly. Eventually... (And I mean about 3-5 minutes 'eventually', not the ~10-30 seconds that it used to take.) It appeared as if it were the individual subdomains (e.g., crfh.warpkeen.com) that were taking so very long, as the rest of the page loaded up nice and quick. The comics took a long time, but at least they loaded up in order down the page....

Methinks a Yet Bigger Hammer is needed.

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:11 pm

They're all on the same machine, so I'm not sure what the problem would be. Maybe if this was the first time your computer's DNS was updated with the new information, it was simply a matter of doing DNS re-lookups on everything. I'm guessing it'll go faster from then on.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby damp_dave on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:14 am

Yup, it certainly did this morning!! :) Thanks, Gav!

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:47 pm

And this evening, slow again... :? 6:45 PDT, and I just finished about a 4 minute page load on that page. Again, everything but the comics came up quickly, but the comics themselves took quite a while. Mozilla simply told me "downloading from http://www.warpkeen.com" (I think it was), not from the individual sub-domains.

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:18 am

I just tried again, and got no comic images at all. :( I clicked on the link to the individual comic (http://nukees.warpkeen.com) and got a DNS lookup failure.

If this isn't helping troubleshoot, please feel free to tell me to STFU. :D

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:01 pm

Huh.

Actually, I'm seeing similar problems. I don't understand it at all. The domains affected seem random each day.

I just poured through our DNS records looking for errors and I found our two domain name servers listed as:

NS ns1.keenspace.com.com.
NS ns2.keenspace.com.com.

Obviously, that's a problem... But I'm not sure if it would lead to the sort of problems we're seeing. I fixed it, but DNS is the sort of thing that you always have to wait a while before any changes are apparent, so I probably won't know for sure if it helped for several hours--maybe tomorrow.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Gav on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:06 pm

Well, I think that did it! I'd appreciate some feedback from folks letting me know if the domains are all regularly resolving now (no comments about the whole site crashing, however...).
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby damp_dave on Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:05 am

Yup, all the ones that I read are working. They've worked for two or three whole days in a row, now!! (They've been good for about one day in a row in the recent past.)

--dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bryann on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:24 am

and if you signed up for it, the daily mailout should be back up and running.... I hope *crosses fingers*

:)
Sysop: warpkeen.com, gallery.r3v3ng.net
The definitive CRFH!!! fanart archive : http://gallery.r3v3ng.net
My CafePress Store http://www.cafepress.com/alteredimages
bryann
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Keenspot PREMIUM