S&V good, AUTHOR sucks

Lusty robotic mayhem from the creator of JOE AVERAGE!

Moderator: Aaron M. Holm, esquire

S&V good, AUTHOR sucks

Postby Tired-o-crap on Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:02 am

If you can't update it, pull it. Give the space to an artist/author that cares enough to actually do something rather than continuously apologize for lack of updates and give false promises. :x :x :x :x
Tired-o-crap

Postby CougRon on Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:42 pm

hey, that's uncalled for.

Space and memory is actually quite cheap and getting cheaper. They're still working on the 'Bandwidth' costs, but overral it's getting better.

One of the great things about the web is that you are free to come and go as you please. If you don't like it there is absolutely nothing forcing you to read it...

In other words that means leave already! And don't come back!
Ronald Kinion aka CougRon aka The Shadow
aka "He who Lurks a Lot and Posts little"

"Dang it, I've Lost my signature again!"
CougRon
Keenspotter Supreme

I agree

Postby RangerLee on Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:21 am

I hate to say it but for the most part I agree with the context of what t-o-c was saying.

However the comics author does not suck or else I would not keep checking once every couple of weeks to see if there happends to be an update to the comic.

However it just seems to get worse and worse and, well S&V is about to loose another reader.

There are plenty of other authors out there that would love a chance to put their comics on Keenspots site I am sure, so you should either use it or loose it. Lets see some more S&V before you loose all your readers.
RangerLee

Grow up :evil:

Postby 2amcoffee on Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:16 pm

Let's get a few things straight here.

Aaron Holm is a great artist and really good at what he does.

But let's not forget that he is also human. He also does not do this strip for a living. What does this mean? This means he may have a long, hard day at his real job and he may be too tired to make the next strip. Or, something may happen. Like his computer taking a nosedive to PC hell. If you've been keeping up with his news, he's been trying to get his computer back up and running so he can put up strips for you.

And really, you guys are the readers. It's <b>not</b> your place to threaten him about his place on Keenspot. That's just plain immature and stupid.

Lets show him some appreciation for once. He doesn't HAVE to put up a strip at all. He doesn't have to do anything for you. You are reading his comic strip for FREE.

The whole fucking world is not put here for YOU. Not Aaron Holm either. So stop whining. If you have nothing better to do than to hit your refresh button every two minutes, hoping that S&V / JA updates then start reading some other strips. Keenspot offers 51 other comic strips and Keenspace offers many, many more.

<hr>

Aaron: I'm sorry you've had computer trouble lately, but I have faith in you, I look forward to the return of S&V and JA. Keep up the good work.
2amcoffee

Postby RangerLee on Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:54 am

First off read the previous posts, nobody has threatend, it is not my place to do that!

Second, it is funny how some of the other artists with keenspot have had massive computer problems however they were able to update their comic at least once a week. (Ubersoft for example). He also stated the computer is almost up and his scanner will be working!?!? You are telling me if all you needed is a scanner to get your pics on the web that he does not know anyone else that owns a computer? Hell hit kinkos and do it there!

As much as I wish I can be fanboy like you, I am not finding the reasons to keep coming back here, his comic was enough to draw me in when I read the past issues but hell it i has been what a month?? The point is what is an artist with out people to see hiw work, obviously you will always come back here waiting for the bi-annual update.

In case you have not notices this is by far the slowest forum out of any of the comic strips in keenspot, why is that? Aarons comic is superior to 99% of the comics out there by far, so why can you hit Real Life and see a massive audience there? Hell it took a week before anyone replied to my post in this topic. As I stated before alot of readers are gone not to come back and I am close to following suit.
RangerLee

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:37 am

OK, Look...

I don't ask anything of anyone, except for patience and understanding when it comes to my work. I don't put paypal links up, I don't shill for shirts (yes, I've had links up to them in the past, but I never push them on anyone.), and I don't beg for anything, except a little mellowness.

Jesus, the constant sniping and bitching made me hate doing these stupid things, but I keep doing them to please the loyalists. I could give a shit about whether or not it pleases these "chop-chop" folks; I don't care anymore if it reaches a mainstream audience. Do Roger Sims, Corey Kitley, or any other folks who miss massive amounts of deadlines get this kind of abuse? Life gets in the way a lot of times, and though I feel bad about not updating (and I do, make no mistake about that, Chief), were I actually doing these where the income was even at least clost to the amount of time love, energy and care I put into my work, it would be more of a high priority.

Jesus, if your life is so bereft of joy that your feel so compelled to snipe and bitch to people about the timeliness of something that you're getting for free, then I feel really sorry for you. I really do.

Cheers,

A.
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Inverted Saint on Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:55 pm

Fuck ladies calm down. Aaron is a brilliant artist and the comics he has drawn are of amzingly good quality... Try to take into consideration that he managed multiple comics and thus has more than 1 community of viewers to keep happy. Take a chill pill and go read his other comics while you wait for S&V to be updated.
Inverted Saint

Updates, Aaron...

Postby Lrvman on Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:55 pm

What's the status on the computer? It would help if you let us know what's up...I may be able to help on the hardware side...Jest let me know.

John in OKC.
Lrvman

Slow Posts?

Postby dfmock on Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:43 am

Like many of you, I have a list of about 20 E-comix I read daily... :D

It doesn't hurt me to check this one daily. Yes, I am a bit disappointed, but since I pay NOTHING for this artwork, I just consider myself lucky when any of them post. :o

To you whiners - KNOCK IT OFF, BITCH! :evil:

Aaron, you rock, baby. Lemme kinow if I can help.
dfmock
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TheMike on Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:44 am

It's really hard keeping a web comic up. I haven't tried it, but I can only imagine the amount of work someone has to put in. A comic of this quality probably takes a couple hours just to <i>create</i> (i.e., drawing and coloring). Then you have to scan it and upload it - neither of which the artist is currently capable of doing, nor does he have the resources to accomplish this.

I'm always irritated when I see people complaining about the timeliness of a comic or whatever. Like so many have said before: just <i>leave</i> if you're tired of waiting. And if you really insist on bitching, then show me where your regularly updated web comic is. Show me the hours of work you put in <i>weekly</i> to make sure that you don't "loose" readers and please total strangers. After that, I'll hop on down to your message board and read what will probably be loads of shit you get instead of praise for sharing your stuff with people, sacrificing your time, and all the rest that goes with making a web comic.

-Mike
TheMike
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Meganeguard on Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:51 am

it take like only a few seconds to check to see if the comic is up, and if there isn't a new one so waht? Aaron does his best to entertain us for free.
Meganeguard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DronkenDennis on Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:10 am

I come in from time to time and go catchup, wait a while and catchup again... I just wanna say I love this comic...
DronkenDennis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Mage on Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:58 am

Isn't there some kind of gizmo that you draw on, and it puts the drawing to the computer automatically? It's like a pad that you place paper on, and it transmits whatever's drawn onto the paper to the computer. I know there's one for the palm pilot, I can't imagine there wouldn't be one for windoze..... Get one of those and a scanner, and you'd NEVER be out! :)
The Mage

damn

Postby dreamlord on Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:59 am

damn man damn!

its been more than a month for pete's sake

man i will never get any closer on these story lines i mean shit a month between pages
dreamlord

Postby Big Thor on Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:53 pm

Yeah- the nay sayers have a point, after a fashion. Sure, neither JA or S&V have been updated for six weeks or so. Yes, it's annoying to keep seeing the same damn strip every time I go to the site, when the other 20 or so webcomix update daily, or at least on some sort of regular schedule. The same thing happened for a while with Road Waffles, and that's why I don't visit that site anymore.

However.....

What do you expect for FREE? Hell- I've expected a lot less from several other webcomix- and I've gotten less and subsequently dumped them. But those other sites aren't even 10% as good as JA and S&V. The strips I eventually DO get to see on this site are usually worth the wait, and they more than make up for the downtime.

As far as space for other artists goes, it's really not terribly difficult to add one, two, or even ten more artists to a site from a technical standpoint. All that's needed is a bit more drive space (well- a few more gigabytes) for the new strip's directory, a couple of changes to the Web server, and a bit of time updating the main Keenspot site to add the new strips to the lineup. It's not as if Aaron's strips are even taking up a lot of bandwidth or space, either.

It's disappointing to see the same strip every day, but it's really only a few seconds of my time. I'd rather wait to see a handful of strips once in a while than see this site go belly up like a few others (Cool Cat Studio comes to mind).

Good luck with things, Aaron. There are still a lot of us looking forward to the next few strips- and I for one will be among them.
"A sticking gear could cause your M203 grenade launcher to fire unexpectedly. This could make you very unpopular in what's left of your unit."- US Army Maintenance Manual
Big Thor
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Sex & Violence