Agnostica decoration...

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Agnostica decoration...

Postby Heng on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 pm

i don't get it.

could someone explain the first panel with a little bit more detail?

i _think_ i got it right in the second folding but everytime i cut it, it just falls apart...
Heng
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:06 pm

Yep, I just tried it three different ways myself. I'm definitely doing it wrong.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Agnostica decoration...

Postby Gav on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:11 pm

Heng wrote:i don't get it.

could someone explain the first panel with a little bit more detail?

i _think_ i got it right in the second folding but everytime i cut it, it just falls apart...

I was intentionally brief on that panel because it's exactly how you would fold paper to make a paper snowflake, which I figured most people had learned as kids and would basically be "review."

Basically, fold a square sheet diagnonally, then in "thirds" across the opposite diagonal. Then in half. Those websites will probably explain it better than me.

Maybe the first step is confusing? It's meant to represent a paper being folded in half (with the first half pointed into the air, partway through the fold). But maybe it looks like something more complicated in 2D?

Note that the next step is two folds (represented by the two arrows), folding about a third of the way. The "original" triangle of paper is represented by the dots.

If it falls apart but the pieces look right, make sure you are cutting so that the left side of the figure in the comic is the fold (I kept the paper oriented the same way in each step). This was a common mistake I had making snowflakes as a kid.

I'll be working on a better description when my experiment at the cyclotron is over.

Any better? Was anyone able to make one?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Heng on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:31 am

so the cruel kindergarten time which never granted me scissors after i accidently stapled some girl's thumb finally takes its toll...

takes some trial-and-error...
think i got close enough now...
the secret lies in aligning the orbitals... the curvature needs to be just right.

anyway. thanks! the first link of yours helped... a lot!

sooo... what are we building? three orbitals... lithium?
Heng
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:41 am

Success! Thanks for the clarification.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Heng wrote:so the cruel kindergarten time which never granted me scissors after i accidently stapled some girl's thumb finally takes its toll...

Ha! I only accidentally stapled my own thumb in grade school.

takes some trial-and-error...
think i got close enough now...
the secret lies in aligning the orbitals... the curvature needs to be just right.

Yeah, it takes some practice. I got the idea last year and it took a few tries before I got the template just right, but after I did, I made a dozen easily. It helped to draw the dashed "cut" lines first, then unfold the paper and draw in the whole atom as you'd like to see it and see how your "estimated" lines aren't quite lined up right and fix them. Once you've done one perfectly, you can fold it back up and use it as a guide/template for others. You can also adjust the thickness of the orbital lines to your liking. Sometimes, it helps to start with thick lines, unfold, re-draw thinner lines with pencil that line up correctly, refold and adjust.

anyway. thanks! the first link of yours helped... a lot!

Great! Can you tell me what your main sticking point was? That way, I can be sure to describe it more clearly later.

sooo... what are we building? three orbitals... lithium?

Yeah, I guess it is lithium, isn't it? I always call this the "Corporate Logo atom."

Oh, and one more thing you can do: You can create a little "bridge" between the orbitals and the nucleus by cutting straight down from just before the "top right" (on the drawing) of the orbital lines to the "bottom right" (again, on the drawing) of the nucleus (the "point" of the paper when folded). Then, when you unfold, there will be six thin connections between the nuclear and the orbitals. You can cut away all but one of them to make it look prettier.

That way, the nucleus will be attached to the oribitals if you want to hang the whole free-standing shebang from the ceiling, for instance.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Two main sticking points for me.

1) The second figure in the first panel looks like a tent, as if you're pushing out the paper to make a pirate hat. I knew that wasn't right, but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to represent. Even now that I know the correct answer, I still can't see it in that shape.

2) The third figure in the first panel is confusing me with the dotted lines. To me it looks like you're supposed to start off with a triangle of paper that has the point at the bottom and the hypotenuse facing upward. It looks like you're supposed to fold the corners down from that, leaving a shape that looks like the fourth figure, but with three spikes at the bottom instead of two.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:43 am

CodeGuy wrote:Two main sticking points for me.

1) The second figure in the first panel looks like a tent, as if you're pushing out the paper to make a pirate hat. I knew that wasn't right, but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to represent. Even now that I know the correct answer, I still can't see it in that shape.

Yeah, I was a little worried about that

2) The third figure in the first panel is confusing me with the dotted lines. To me it looks like you're supposed to start off with a triangle of paper that has the point at the bottom and the hypotenuse facing upward. It looks like you're supposed to fold the corners down from that, leaving a shape that looks like the fourth figure, but with three spikes at the bottom instead of two.

Hm. I added the dotted lines later to try to clarify it, but I guess they accomplished the exact opposite. I think I'll redraw this particular strip and take out the dotted lines and just make the second step a simple triangle.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:21 am

That would help. Even without the dotted lines, the bottom left figure is still a little confusing. It looks like you're folding the triangle into a shape with three points at the bottom.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Okay, this is a version that makes sense to my brain. I make no guarantees about other brains.

CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stig Hemmer on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:06 am

Gav wrote:Yeah, I guess it is lithium, isn't it? I always call this the "Corporate Logo atom."

Well, litium has two tightly bound electrons and one loosely bound one (or one exited one if you prefer) The corporate logo atom looks like it has three equivalent electrons.

A better answer would be element 5, boron, which has 2+3 electrons. Then the two innermost could be the small circle. (The nucleus is too small to be seen, after all)

On the other hand... while I have no idea how the exited orbitals of boron look, it is probably not like this. So we should perhaps stick with corporatium. (I guess that would be corporatum in American)
"Force is all-conquering, but its victories are short-lived." -Abraham Lincoln
Stig Hemmer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Corporatium, the element that is the building block for greed, foul play, and nougat.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Agnostica decoration...

Postby anjelicax on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:59 pm

What are some good decoration ideas for an orange cake? I'm making an orange cake with a basic orange flavoured icing for a friend. I was wondering what to decorate it with though? Last time i tried to put some fresh orange slices on top, but they made the icing runny. I have lots of oranges to use up, so what could i make out of them for decoration for my cake?
anjelicax
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Nukees