"Mysterious Ways"

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

"Mysterious Ways"

Postby sun tzu on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:39 pm

So...he tells her about the polytheistic pantheon, and she just ignores it?
Believable, but anti-climactic.
"The problem with History is that it can't have a happy ending." -Ouri Maler.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Re: "Mysterious Ways"

Postby towr on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:24 am

sun tzu wrote:So...he tells her about the polytheistic pantheon, and she just ignores it?
Believable, but anti-climactic.
The obliviousness of true faith.

If you told them you saw god do a striptease, they'd just say he reveals himself in mysterious ways ;)
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:00 pm

It's dark, they're drunk, and she's touching his face now.

I think they might not be concentrating at the moment.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:59 am

I'm sure this isn't going to end how it seems like it might.... because it seems enough like it won't that if it does will still be unexpected.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Silver Adept on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 am

Well, if she does kick the ethanol into the dying flame, Gav might get to meet Ma'at again.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I really would like it if they got together. Whether we see the, uh, "consummation" or not, it would be neat to see Gav in a relationship. The comic started that way, but it didn't last long. I think there are some interesting stories to be had from seeing how Gav handles a relationship.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby hatehatehatehate on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:15 am

I don't know, I think I'd prefer to see some minor supporting character kick over the ethanol bottle. On the one hand, the girl is an effective foil for Gav now that Suzy is gone and Luca is a bit down, and a relationship of some kind would give The Author an excuse to keep her popping up in the strip (not that he really has a problem with that). On the other hand, I really hate to see characters get together like this--I'm sort of an anti-shipper, I guess. I think the best way to give characters relationships is to add new faces, rather than pairing up existing ones. Not only is it more realistic (since real life has a much larger cast than any comic strip), but it alleviates the need to change characters to make them more "compatible" (witness the change in Slick and Monique in Sinfest since they started pining for each other, or that of Aubrey and Jason in Something Positive).

If, however, this just turns out to be a one-time thing and they both wake up tomorrow horrified at themselves, and each other, then it has my full approval.
hatehatehatehate
Junior Keenspotter

Postby KevinHall11 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 am

It seems unlikely to me that they'll "consummate" the relationship, since she is apparently a somewhat-devout Christian. I would really like it if they got together though, that would be a nice relationship.

I was a bit shocked at the fourth-wall breakage though; they're so rare in this comic. In fact I can't remember the last one, unless you count that time Jesus showed up in a hawaiian shirt to explain the story line.

And who still reads Sinfest? It's one of those comics that makes you marvel at how long they can take at nothing happening. No story line, and the exact same characters bumping into eachother in the exact same, non-interesting ways.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:52 am

I think the best way to give characters relationships is to add new faces, rather than pairing up existing ones

Jez is a new face. It may not seem that way because of the pace of the comic, but she is definitely a new face.

Looking at the timeline of the comic, they haven't known each other that long. The comic moves very slowly compared to real time, so it just seems longer.

The number of times they've actually met isn't that many.

The times they have seen each other have kinda been building towards this. The first time they met Gav was clearly interested in what he could manage to do with the four hot chicks showing an interest in him. The time they recently got together in a bar and argued seemed like classic romantic pigtail pulling.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:46 pm

KevinHall11 wrote:I was a bit shocked at the fourth-wall breakage though; they're so rare in this comic. In fact I can't remember the last one, unless you count that time Jesus showed up in a hawaiian shirt to explain the story line.

I don't really consider that strip a "fourth wall breakage." It's more of a "fourth wall scratch." In fact, I was tempted to make Jezebel's line, "Then what is it? A Broadway musical? A harlequin romance? A geeky webcomic?" But I decided against it because... well, it was just too obvious.

Gav's statement isn't meant to be a predictor of the future, but rather his observation of what presumably Jezebel had just done.

The Jesus stuff... Well, yeah, that was just blatant. But I didn't use any of the mortal characters in that bit.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:55 pm

Gav wrote:Gav's statement isn't meant to be a predictor of the future, but rather his observation of what presumably Jezebel had just done.

That part confused me a bit. Gav made his statement, Jez responded, and then we saw an explosion. If Gav had seen her kick the bottle onto the fire before he made his statement, it seems like the explosion would have happened first.

I kinda thought there was a little fourth wall breaking, too. Not the kind where the characters know they're fictional. The Wile E. Coyote kind where once somebody tempts fate (in this case by outlining a bad thing that could happen), then the universe screws him.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:36 pm

CodeGuy wrote:That part confused me a bit. Gav made his statement, Jez responded, and then we saw an explosion. If Gav had seen her kick the bottle onto the fire before he made his statement, it seems like the explosion would have happened first.

There is some degree of "comic timing" in Nukees that is perhaps not 100% realistic--sort of like a "lite" version of Wile E. Coyote stepping off the edge of a cliff and taking a few moments of realization before he falls.

In this case, it would probably have been impossible for Gav to get out that entire sentence, and for Jezebel's response, before the explosion. However, the explosion would not be instantaneous, either, I don't think. The bottle would need a few seconds to heat up and burst before exploding. I just exaggerated what could be said in that amount of time.

Also, I'm surprised the nitpickers didn't swoop in on the exaggerated size of the explosion. That was just for drama's sake. Cartoonists' license.

I think. I've never thrown a bottle of ethanol on a fire before.

I kinda thought there was a little fourth wall breaking, too. Not the kind where the characters know they're fictional. The Wile E. Coyote kind where once somebody tempts fate (in this case by outlining a bad thing that could happen), then the universe screws him.

Oh, well that sort of thing happens in Nukees all the time:

http://www.nukees.com/d/20030219.html
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Heng on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:42 pm

rest assured, there is plenty of time.

from the second you light an open bottle of ethanol standing in a little puddle to the time it takes to get out of bed, grab a small blanket, realize it's synthetic, grab somthing turning out not-at-all to be a blanket nor of any use, take up said bottle and just blow it out there is no explosion.

there will be a nasty burnmark on the carpet, though. but that shouldn't be gav's concern right now.

that said, what is cecilias' tune? i tried, doesn't seem random, but i couldn't recognise it...
Heng
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Gav wrote:Also, I'm surprised the nitpickers didn't swoop in on the exaggerated size of the explosion. That was just for drama's sake. Cartoonists' license.

Steven Spielberg blew up a shark with an airtank. The Simpsons makes empty trash cans burst into flames when knocked over. I have a high tolerance for explosions being over-sized.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 am

Heng wrote:from the second you light an open bottle of ethanol standing in a little puddle to the time it takes to get out of bed, grab a small blanket, realize it's synthetic, grab somthing turning out not-at-all to be a blanket nor of any use, take up said bottle and just blow it out there is no explosion.

Hm. From experience?

Even if an open bottle of ethanol doesn't "explode" per se but only burns, I would expect a *closed* bottle (implied in the comic) would definitely explode (or, technically, "fireball"). The pressure inside the bottle would build up until it burst open, spreading little drops of ethanol far and wide to burn rapidly due to the increased surface area in contact with oxygen.

that said, what is cecilias' tune? i tried, doesn't seem random, but i couldn't recognise it...

There's a link in one of the "Phenomenon" threads, if you haven't already discovered it.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees