A diffrent solution

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

A diffrent solution

Postby Jeffery McLean on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Use a cell phone that supports AIM and then make new code that sends an AIM instead of a text message.

So far you haven't had the "Text messages go down the hole" issue my mom gets when her boss tries to send her text msgs.

The text msgs don't go away exactly they just get delayed by a week.

There is more than one way to cause a giant robotic ants nuclear generator to melt down.

Edit
By text I mean SMS texting :)
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Eh, then something would go wrong with AIM at some point and I'd have the same problem...

Actually, it'd be nicer if I knew how to get a computer to send an SMS message rather than muck about with email and email-to-TM services, but I don't know if that's possible. Probably not, as it would make cell phone spamming easier.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Jeffery McLean on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:03 am

Gav wrote:Actually, it'd be nicer if I knew how to get a computer to send an SMS message rather than muck about with email and email-to-TM services, but I don't know if that's possible. Probably not, as it would make cell phone spamming easier.

I think it's doable but I seriously doubt you could get a signal out of the server farm where the Keen spot servers are located.
Likely way too much magnetic interference and years ago an early chat BBS admin complained that he couldn't get any radio signals inside the office building due to the buildings construction.

You'd get a cell phone laptop card (PC card) and put it in a PCI-PC card adapter. But there is the question of finding one with Linux drivers (if any exist) and so on. Not at all an easy task and all for the payoff of not getting a signal because the server farm interference.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees