For Blasphemy

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

For Blasphemy

Postby Symok on Fri May 04, 2007 5:25 pm

So, is Gav aiming to get himself a copy of The God Who Wasn't There? (I got mine a few months ago :D) Or is it just some freaky coincidence?
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby mad_marx on Tue May 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Well, when it comes to blasphemy itself, I figure a potential reply to the religious chick's argument would have been to point out that if it isn't really blasphemy (which is an offense towards god) because Gav doesn't believe in god, then why do atheists get punished for any other sin (which are all supposed to be against god)?
mad_marx
Junior Keenspotter

Postby KevinHall11 on Wed May 09, 2007 5:05 pm

I don't think she was so much saying that blasphemy is impossible for a non-believer, since that would be pretty bad theology. I think she was trying to convince Gav that he already is a believer, but doesn't realize it. Pretty common for that type of discussion actually, since most non-believers talk about God as if they think he exists, which will sometimes lead Christians to think they're believer-nonfollowers.

Not really a good arguing technic to try to tell people that they already agree with you, so they should stop disagreeing. Important to keep in mind that this comic is drawn and written by an Atheist trying to imitate what he thinks a Christian would say, as apposed to an actual Christian saying these things.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 am

God is an athiest.

An athiest is one who does not believe in a higher power. As God is all powerful, there can be no power which is higher. As God does not believe in a higher power, he is an athiest.

And as God is all knowing, and to have faith is to believe without knowing, God also has no faith.

And finally, as immitation is the sinceriest form of flattery, I follow God's example by being a faithless athiest myself. :smug:
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Thu May 10, 2007 2:44 pm

KevinHall11 wrote:I think she was trying to convince Gav that he already is a believer, but doesn't realize it. Pretty common for that type of discussion actually, since most non-believers talk about God as if they think he exists, which will sometimes lead Christians to think they're believer-nonfollowers.
Of course the problem with such arguments is that most people also talk about Santa, Spiderman, Harry Potter and any number of other acknowledged fictional characters, as if they exist.
Frankly, talking about fictional characters while continually explicating their fictionality is rather problematic. It's easier to take it as a tacit assumption; or perhaps mention it once at the start.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby KevinHall11 on Thu May 10, 2007 10:07 pm

bloodeye wrote:An athiest is one who does not believe in a higher power. As God is all powerful, there can be no power which is higher. As God does not believe in a higher power, he is an athiest.

And as God is all knowing, and to have faith is to believe without knowing, God also has no faith.
Terms like "atheist" and "faith" don't actually apply to God, being as those terms are applied to only to issues of belief and religion, and for Him, nothing is a belief, but either true or untrue. And atheism is not a belief in a higher power, but a belief in a God, and since God obviously knows Himself to exist (does not believe) He is not an atheist. Good try being clever though.

I'm not even going to touch your fallacy that faith is belief without knowledge, because that would spark a religious debate, and I'd like to keep all of the arguing on this site as purely grammar-based.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gav on Tue May 22, 2007 4:15 pm

KevinHall11 wrote:I'm not even going to touch your fallacy that faith is belief without knowledge, because that would spark a religious debate, and I'd like to keep all of the arguing on this site as purely grammar-based.

Actually, sticking strictly to grammar may be your downfall:

From Merriam-Webster:

FAITH noun, [fayth]
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

(The other entries are for the other definitions of the word, like having "faith in someone" which is different than what we're talking about, but the religious use and the "belief in something for which there is no proof" are grouped together in the same definition).
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby KevinHall11 on Tue May 22, 2007 11:33 pm

damn dictionary; always screwing me over.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Nukees