Nukee time

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Nukee time

Postby JGatsby on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:50 am

Maybe this is just a bad estimation, but in the last four years of real-world time, it appears to me that 3 or 4 days have passed for Gav, etc.

Any confirmations?
JGatsby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby towr on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:00 pm

I think there were more. I can remember at least three nights, and I'm sure there's a few I can't recall atm.
Don't worry though, someone will be obsessed enough to meticulously get to the bottom of this, I'm certain. :P
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby KevinHall11 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:46 am

well, Nukees usually takes quite a few liberties with the passage of time, as it would have to, being so storyline based as it is. the only thing that confuses things is when the characters do something timely like celebrate holidays, or discuss the death of Pricess Di. i think you have to suspend disbelief a bit to fully enjoy this comic.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:19 am

Think that's pretty true with most comics, isn't it?
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:07 am

Most daily comics don't really mention time at all, so it's hard to notice. Sluggy Freelance is very unusual in having holiday events every year for so many years. That even confuses the author sometimes. Pete once wrote something assuming that not as much comic time had passed as real time. He had to go back later and fix it.

Nukees has the odd thing of having the time passage be slow, but also having the annual Agnostica party that emphasizes that the characters to keep track of time. In that way it's more like comic books, where Superman has a Christmas issue once every several years.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby John Campbell on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Possibly Danny's annual Agnostica miracle involves bending space-time sufficiently to make the scheduling work.
John Campbell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Oh, it's not that bad guys! In fact, I usually only do an Agnostica story every 3-4 years, specifically because I wanted to adhere to "Nukees time" and not run into the problems that Pete does with Sluggy.

Four years ago, we were in the middle of the "Danny's Inferno" storyline. Gav had a mullet at that point, from having his head shaved in the hospital. It had grown out a bit during that storyline, indicating that several weeks had passed.

Then, if you continue to watch Gav's hair, you'll see that some time passes immediately in the strips that follow Danny's Inferno, as it grows out some more (but is still short and fuzzy). We then proceed through a number of different storylines, such as when Gav and Suzy don't go clubbing, then do go clubbing exactly one week later. We then proceed through some more strips, each of which could be on a different day, until we get to King Luca's Agnostica Party, in which Gav's hair has grown out even more. Months have easily passed at this point.

Then there is lunch with new potential grad students, in which we meet Suzy Gee's sister, then some more time passes (though not too much since Cindy Lee is still in town, but I figured she visited for at least a month) before they all get together for a poker game. Later, she leaves, and we meet the goths. At this point, two years have passed in real time, and at least half a year to a full year may have passed in strip time (Gav's hair is back to normal by this point).

Things may slow down a bit by this point, as that storyline took me nine months to get through.

But afterwards, King Luca and Cecilia hook up, which could be a week or more later. Gav meets up with one of the Goths the same day, but more time passes after that when we see Cecilia making King Luca breakfast in bed (at this point, it would appear they've been dating for at least a few weeks).

And that brings us to the current story, which took a full year of real time to get through, but it at least takes place over the course of 3-4 days.

So the estimation that only 3-4 days have passed in the past 4 years is pretty far off. At least a year has passed in Nukees time. In fact, we can count 3-4 days in this current storyline alone. And there has only been one Agnostica in the past four (real) years. There have been only three Agnosticas in the entire history of the strip, in fact.

Believe me, I think about this all the time...

So there. ;)
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby bloodeye on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:40 am

Gav wrote:Believe me, I think about this all the time...

Which is frightening in it's own way. But still, pretty impressive to keep track of all that.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:44 am

And suddenly we find ourselves in 2007.
That brings comic time to ~10 years as well ( http://nukees.com/d/19970606.html http://nukees.com/d/20070124.html )
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:16 pm

I view that kind of thing the same way I view time in comic books. Sure, they mention the date every now and then, but eventually you just have to start ignoring the old dates. If you don't, eventually you have to accept the fact that Spider-Man started college in the 60s.

It's all a sliding timeline. Sure, Gav said it was 1997 in that comic, but if he flashed back to it today he'd probably say that happened in 2003 or something. 10 years form now he'll say it happened in 2011.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:48 am

CodeGuy wrote:If you don't, eventually you have to accept the fact that Spider-Man started college in the 60s.

:shifty:

...and what's wrong with 40 some years of college? Some people just take a little longer to earn their degrees... quit looking at me like that... I havn't been in college for 40 years....

......only 10......

:nervous:
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 am

bloodeye wrote:
CodeGuy wrote:If you don't, eventually you have to accept the fact that Spider-Man started college in the 60s.

:shifty:

...and what's wrong with 40 some years of college? Some people just take a little longer to earn their degrees... quit looking at me like that... I havn't been in college for 40 years....

......only 10......

:nervous:
That makes me feel a bit better about being in my ninth year..
And I'd happily look to spiderman for an excuse. "I'll finish my master's thesis once I've rid the world of supervillains, ok?!"
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:56 am

I've just realised that Spider-Man is younger than me.

Heck, I'm getting pretty close to being older than Batman. Black Lightning is 40 or almost, I'll hold onto that.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:54 pm

Yeah, I wrote Wednesday's strip as kind of a "comic time" joke--the same way the Simpsons is always doing flashbacks to different eras, most of which now are within the real-life timeframe that the Simpsons has been on. Virtually all comics have to deal with this kind of "comic time" paradox. Even if you don't state the time outright, you can't really ignore the existence of things like "MySpace" just because the "strip date" might be five years in the past. You just have to kind of turn the other way and ignore the giant mastodon sitting in the butter every so often.

So I figured on the tenth anniversary, I'd embrace the mastodon.

Ew, that sounds a lot like strangling the wallabe.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Jeffery McLean on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:03 am

Some comics seem to have what I call "Nothing happend" time.

The comic happends a few min per day but not everything that happends shows up in the comic.

Between "days" we don't see people getting ready for work.
Between stories we don't see events at all or we only get hilights like Dannys comments but there seems no commitment to the passage of time.

Some comics do commit to a passage of time like EGS dose,
Even in nothing happends we know when the day ends and the next day starts. Seldom do weeks pass between comics and even so we know exactly how many weeks pass.

Right now we don't know if Dannys making those observations in the same hour or years apart. It's just random events right now.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees