Plot Something

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Plot Something

Postby Wafath on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Quick show of hands.

How many of you actually tried to think of a way to plot the nutritional info of H.N.Cheerios vs the Fourier Transform of "Cruel Summer"?

No cheating.

W
Wafath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Plot Something

Postby Eyeless Blond on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Huh, when I try to think about it I seem to be having the opening sequence to Dexter running through my head.
Eyeless Blond
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:11 am

Gav as a teacher is kind of terrifying.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:34 am

Very nice little plotline! I just had some fun going back through the recent comics and finding all the pics of Suzy holding a book over her head in the background.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 pm

...and how many of those people actually curve fit the Philippines? (I've been meaning to try that one of these days).

Actually, I'm surprised no one pointed out the extreme disparity between the ranges of each dataset. :smug:
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:33 pm

We don't all want to work at Pixar. Most of us want to make video games.

It's the digital artist who want to work at Pixar.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:35 am

Pixar? I tried my hand at 3D modeling, and it ended in tears. I'm too much of a perfectionist to deal with the quirks of 3D animation. After spending hours on a model that looked aweful, I knew I didn't have the patience nor the talent for it.

Give me a logical problem to work at, and I'm happy.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby loperspest on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Reading today's comic, I can see an interesting, and happy, implication, though it may get some in a snit. If they could create viable sperm and do this with ADULT stem-cells, then lesbian couples could have fully biological families, having a mother and. . . another mother who are both fully your parents. Though they would all be girls.
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:21 pm

I thought of that, too. It didn't occur to me that they'd all be girls, but I doubt many people would mind. Single women who adopt kids favor girls very heavily. I don't remember exactly, it might be that they pretty much always choose girls.

The research is pretty early days, though. Some other scientists have disputed the claim that sperm was produced, saying they produced something with sperm-like features, but pretty far from viable sperm.
Last edited by CodeGuy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Progress is progress, and even if the process doesn't create viable sperm yet, they will probably soon be able to do so. Just a matter of time and funding. Whatever the results, it is certainly facinating.
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 am

Curious..... wonder.... assume for a moment that a singular female had one of her stem cells undergo the process, and is fertilized by said sperm. Would the resulting embyro qualify as a clone of said female? Naturally, I'm assumeing a lot here, but makes for an intresting thought experiment....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 am

No, that wouldn't make a clone. The child would have a subset of her genes, but almost certainly not the full set.

Every egg has half the genes of the mom, randomly selected. Every sperm has half the genes of the dad, randomly selected. That's how siblings don't all look the same, they each get half their genes from mom and half from dad, but it's not the same set.

Now assume that you form a sperm from a woman's DNA, which ends up with half of her genes, randomly selected. Then you take an egg from her that has half her genes, randomly selected. There's probably going to be a lot of overlap between the two random samples and a lot of stuff left out. So all of the child's genes will come from the mom, but not all of the mom's genes will be in the child.

Genetically, it's like incest, except much worse. I'd imagine that the probability of of a birth defect would be higher than for a brother and sister mating.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:39 pm

That was overly explanatory, wasn't it? Everyone who would read this comic probably knew what I meant long before they finished my post.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:24 pm

CodeGuy wrote:That was overly explanatory, wasn't it? Everyone who would read this comic probably knew what I meant long before they finished my post.

Well, apparently bloodeye didn't know, so it doesn't hurt to be thorough. Hmm, I wonder if they will ever be able to create viable eggs from stem-cells. Then homosexual male couples could have biological kidlets. Anyone know of anyone following this line of research?
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 pm

The kinda have that with cloning. They take out all the DNA in the egg, then reprogram it with the new DNA. However, that produces a full set of DNA, which is why you get a clone of the DNA donor. I don't believe I've heard anything about research into producing an egg that uses donor DNA to get an actual, unfertilized egg with half the donor's DNA, like a real egg.

It would be quite useful if someone did develop that. Let's say they got to human level, which seems like it would be really far in the future. Let's also say it was allowed for humans, which seems unlikely. A mother who is sterile would be able to get a surrogate egg and actually add her own DNA to it. So almost any fertility problem would have a work-around.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:13 am

loperspest wrote:Well, apparently bloodeye didn't know, so it doesn't hurt to be thorough.

I was leaning more towards a definition unto the word 'clone'.

But I do remain curious. But I'd probally be better just finding a book on recessive genetic expression and reading that rather then experimenting.... though certainly not all bad to 'refresh' a few lines of recessive traits, though other recessive traits are best left in recession....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Return to Nukees