Page 1 of 1

201, 250, 237...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 am
by Ostracee
...what kind of first year grad student takes all 200-level courses (and one ridiculous gut)? He didn't even take Quantum as an undergrad? What the hell did he take? Also, is "hair rubberbands" actually said?

...I'm just going to go off wondering why everyone thought of Irene Joliot-Curie before Ada freaking Lovelace...

Re: 201, 250, 237...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:42 pm
by Gav
200 level courses are graduate level courses. It's what most Nukees I know take their first year. Are "200" courses different at your college? Different colleges have different numbering conventions, I believe.

As for Quantum, again the "237" indicates a graduate-level course. He would have already taken 137, the undergraduate course.

Of course, now that I look it up, graduate-level Quantum at UC Berkeley is actually 221A and 221B. Unfortunately, I never made it that far.

Re: 201, 250, 237...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:41 am
by CodeGuy
The system I'm used to is that 100 is Freshmen, 200 for Sophomore level courses, 300 for Junior level courses, and 400 for Senior level courses. Grad courses started at 500 and moved up from there.

Re: 201, 250, 237...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:33 am
by bloodeye
100, 200, 300, 400, 500+ is the system I'm used to as well. Though rather, 100 is the first level course, 200 is the second level couse. As such, a freshman might take 101 the fall semester, 231 in the spring, and 307 as a sophmore the following fall.
Though they also get intresting by throwing in name differances. Advanced Calculus 101 is the equivelant to plain ol' Calculus 201. basically, the numbering system is arbitrary, can pretty much ignore it....