Truthiness to the second power

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Truthiness to the second power

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:44 am

I love the Colbert Report bit! This should be fun.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Truthiness to the second power

Postby bloodeye on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I was somewhat expecting an April Fool's joke..... I'm not certain I didn't get one....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:07 pm

We've got a comedian named Stephen Colbert pretending to be a pundit named Stephen Colbert...

interviewing a physicist named Gav drawn by a physicist who signs his cartoons as Gav...

Maybe it's an April Fool's day joke or maybe reality just warped in on itself so much that we only *think* it's April Fool's Day.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I am instantly regretting this story line. Drawing Steven Colbert is way more of a challenge than I thought it would be. The April Fool's joke is on me...
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Well, the results are good.

It's funny, the night before the first comic in this story, I was looking watching Colbert and thinking about how I'd draw his hair. It's a very interesting shape.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 am

Gav wrote:I am instantly regretting this story line. Drawing Steven Colbert is way more of a challenge than I thought it would be. The April Fool's joke is on me...

Well the fact that you are trying to draw him "realistically" as opposed to a more simplified version makes it quite a challenge.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:59 pm

CodeGuy wrote:Well, the results are good.

Ah, well, thanks! (Always embarrassed when I realize a statement I made ends up being a fish for compliments). Actually, I'm fairly happy with how he ended up turning out. It's the five hours it took to do one simple pencil drawing that irritated me...

MaxJenius wrote:Well the fact that you are trying to draw him "realistically" as opposed to a more simplified version makes it quite a challenge.

Actually, I'm not convinced of that. I mean, I'm not a characaturist or anything, but after getting frustrated, I did a few web searches and found very few cartoon depictions ("realistic" or "exaggerated") of Colbert that even reminded me of him. I think we all think of him as cartoony because of his personality, but in reality, he has quite an average mug.

Check out these two Spiderman comics, for instance. This guy looks like a more professional artist than me (not fishing! no objections!), but if you didn't already know it was Colbert, would you guess that by looking at him? Contrast that with any characature of, say, Obama or Bush, which are usually instantly recognizable even out of context.

Or maybe I'm just trying to feel better for getting in over my head. ;)
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Looking closely at those Spidey comics, they could do more with the hairline. Colbert's hairline at the forehead is actually very asymmetrical. He's kinda got an upside down trapezoid from the curl in the middle and the part on one side.

They do a pretty good job, though. Realistic styles make it much tougher to make someone recognizable when the drawing of the face is less than an inch high. I think I could recognize them even without knowing ahead of time who it was.

The greatest caricature I've seen was Steve Bushimi's appearance on the Simpsons. I hadn't seen any commercials for it or had any advance warning that he would be on the show. I just turned it on, watched Marge walk into the bank, and thought, "Hey, that's Steve Bushimi standing in line." He had the yellow skin and the Simpson's overbite, but it was obviously him. Now that's a guy with a cartoony face.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 pm

It also helps that he has eyes the size of... well, Simpson eyes.

This is the best caricature I found of Colbert (Tim Sheppard):

I found it really hard to figure out exactly what it is about this image that looks so much like Colbert, when others don't look anything like him... And also why it's hard to reproduce even when tracing it. It's like if a single feature is even a millimeter off, it's no longer him.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Life just imitated art. Stephen Colbert, in an interview, called for the outlawing of Atheist marriage.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:51 am

It'd be cool to see even more imitation. I wonder if Colbert's people would fly you out to NY for an interview? :)

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees