[3/27/09] Whiteboard

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

[3/27/09] Whiteboard

Postby Lareth on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:32 am

I laughed for nearly a minute straight when I saw this.

Seldom have I seen such a perfect blend of slapstick and geekthink.

I know you always put multiple jokes into each comic but you have outdone yourself. "Basic planetary safety rules", "buy milk, drink milk, finish to-do list", the signature and, of course, the punchline. I can't make out the math but I'm betting you slipped a gag in there too.

Bravo. That punchline belongs on a T-shirt.
Lareth
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: [3/27/09] Whiteboard

Postby Gav on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Hee. Thankee! :D

There are no hidden jokes in the equations themselves. I mostly just copied them from an astrophysics paper I happened to have in my backpack. The only slightly interesting one is one of my favorites of nuclear physics "R=Inx(sigma)" which is the accelerator beam rate equation. I can always remember it because of the band INXS.

Oh, and the figure in the upper right of the second panel is the neutron spectrum expected out of the National Ignition Facility (where I now work). My boss keeps having the same conversation with everyone he meets these days, which involves referring to this spectrum. As such, everywhere we go, we see this same spectrum drawn on every whiteboard, so we've taken to joking about it. When we see it, we know he's been that way...

I guess that's kind of an inside joke, so I just lied when I said there were no jokes in the equations.

Another fun fact about this comic strip: I had to finish it by candelight because of a blackout in my neighborhood last night.

I might like "Everything in my office is made of whiteboard" on a T-shirt myself. What do the rest of you think?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Q99 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 pm

I can't decide if a real office like that would be awesome or turn out to be really horrible in practice. :D
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bloodeye on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Horrible. Because you just know you'd never be able to find an eraseable marker....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Javelin on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Gav wrote:I guess that's kind of an inside joke, so I just lied when I said there were no jokes in the equations.

Ahh, but then you explained it, thereby negating it, thereby undoing the lie. So it's okay.

I might like "Everything in my office is made of whiteboard" on a T-shirt myself. What do the rest of you think?

OOH! OOH! NO! A T-SHIRT MADE OF WHITEBOARD!!! :o
main(i){putchar(340056100>>(i-1)*5&31|!!(i<6)<<6)&&main(++i);}
Javelin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees