Lum stripper

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Lum stripper

Postby bloodeye on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:27 pm

.....that may be the geekiest fanservice thing I have ever seen.... and it is utterly awesome.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Re: Lum stripper

Postby Javelin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm just trying to figure out what club they're in... Centerfolds, maybe?
main(i){putchar(340056100>>(i-1)*5&31|!!(i<6)<<6)&&main(++i);}
Javelin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:06 am

What's Lum?
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Who.

Briefly put, Lum is one of the stars of a rather long running anime series of which I fail to recall the proper name. Basically, she's an alien girl who falls in love with a clueless earthboy, many many hijinks insue. A google image search will pop up many many examples if more information is desired.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Oh come on, surely *I* can't hold the title of "geekiest fanservice?" That's absurd. :p

The series is called Urusei Yatsura. And the girl electrocutes the boy every time she touches him. And she's also very huggy, hence the hijinks. At least that's how it was in the episodes I saw a long time ago. Maybe that's changed in modern episodes (wasn't sure if it was still running).

Once when I was in Japan, I bought one of the Mangas of Urusei Yatsura just for fun (even though I can't read it). I use it for artistic reference material sometimes. So while drawing this week, I was thinking, "ok, I need to draw a stripper..." and looked over at Lum in her tiger-stripe bikini staring back at me from a nearby shelf and thought, "Yeah, there ya go!"

For the record, I imagine it's not really that an electric bikini-clad alien has become a stripper in San Francisco, but that a stripper in San Francisco is doing cosplay fanservice. Which is geekier?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm

It seems more likely that she grabbed the costume out of a box. So she may not have any idea what she's dressed as.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Gav wrote:Oh come on, surely *I* can't hold the title of "geekiest fanservice?" That's absurd. :p

True. But geekier I have not seen. To be fair, I havn't really looked, but still.....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 am

Gav wrote:Oh come on, surely *I* can't hold the title of "geekiest fanservice?" That's absurd. :p

The series is called Urusei Yatsura. And the girl electrocutes the boy every time she touches him. And she's also very huggy, hence the hijinks. At least that's how it was in the episodes I saw a long time ago. Maybe that's changed in modern episodes (wasn't sure if it was still running).

That's a really old one; it was the series Rumiko Takashi did before Ranma 1/2 (which lasted an absurdly long time), which she did before Inu Yasha (which has also lasted a very long time and is just about wrapping up).

Basic plot was she was in love with him, he wanted pretty much every other girl, she was both jealous and an alien with electric powers, so the obvious happened. Lum was going to be a one-off character from one of the first stories (original concept was more of 'main character runs into many different wacky situations) but became far more popular than anyone expected and became a main character.

For the record, I imagine it's not really that an electric bikini-clad alien has become a stripper in San Francisco, but that a stripper in San Francisco is doing cosplay fanservice. Which is geekier?

Not sure; does Nukees have electric bikini-clad aliens running about?
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gav on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Q99 wrote:That's a really old one; it was the series Rumiko Takashi did before Ranma 1/2 (which lasted an absurdly long time), which she did before Inu Yasha (which has also lasted a very long time and is just about wrapping up).

That makes more sense. I misinterpreted bloodeye's comment of "long running" as "still running." I would be surprised indeed if it was still running.

Basic plot was she was in love with him, he wanted pretty much every other girl, she was both jealous and an alien with electric powers, so the obvious happened. Lum was going to be a one-off character from one of the first stories (original concept was more of 'main character runs into many different wacky situations) but became far more popular than anyone expected and became a main character.

The episode that sold me on it was when this short, blue, bugged-eyed, jester-looking thingy with a gigantic overbite showed up and started hijinks. Now, I don't know exactly what the story was before translation, but the subtitles seemed to indicate this bizarre blue imp was "the spirit of Jesus Christ." AWESOMENESS!

Not sure; does Nukees have electric bikini-clad aliens running about?

It has giant electric zombie squid. That's close. But aliens? That's just silly.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Q99 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Gav wrote:That makes more sense. I misinterpreted bloodeye's comment of "long running" as "still running." I would be surprised indeed if it was still running.

There are some insanely long running manga out there, but I don't think any *quite* that long, and not UY at least.

Ranma and Inu Yasha are spiritual successors.

The episode that sold me on it was when this short, blue, bugged-eyed, jester-looking thingy with a gigantic overbite showed up and started hijinks. Now, I don't know exactly what the story was before translation, but the subtitles seemed to indicate this bizarre blue imp was "the spirit of Jesus Christ." AWESOMENESS!

That might be wrong, but it's weird enough that it's hard to say for sure :)

I've only seen one or two episodes plus one of the movies (Urusei Yatsuri: Beautiful Dreamer. Which was REALLY good and the director went on to do a lot of other famous stuff, iirc).

It has giant electric zombie squid. That's close. But aliens? That's just silly.

That was roughly my thinking too ^^
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bloodeye on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Q99 wrote:
Gav wrote:

That might be wrong, but it's weird enough that it's hard to say for sure :)

I've seen about 30 random episodes over the years. That particular charecter I don't recall, but I have to agree, is utterly possible.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Return to Nukees