The best way to stop Cecilia

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

The best way to stop Cecilia

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:34 pm

In the latest comic, Cecilia has asked Gav to get on stage and talk about why Atheists should be allowed to marry. His best strategy would be to ignore the question and tell the crowd what's really going on. Tell them that Cecilia was dating an atheist, then ran away with another atheist but got mad when he didn't sleep with her.

It's basically the Ted Haggard approach. Don't fight their logic (or what they think is logic), just humiliate their leader and watch the crowd disperse.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The best way to stop Cecilia

Postby towr on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 am

Or use reverse psychology. Like, "You're right, atheists shouldn't be allowed to marry, because they would tacitly be accepting God by doing so."
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:59 pm

towr wrote:Or use reverse psychology. Like, "You're right, atheists shouldn't be allowed to marry, because they would tacitly be accepting God by doing so."

I don't get it.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:36 pm

I think towr is suggesting something akin to Jezebel's reaction to Gav's blaspheme in this strip.

In other words, if marriage is a godly thing, then atheists who marry de facto must believe in God. So marriage could be seen as a covert recruitment tool.

Something like, "Fine with us! We don't want to be married! Every time we get married, we become one of you!"

Yeah... quite clever.

But I'm sure his actual strategy will be just as good... ;)
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby kevinjameshall on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:20 am

Since I don't live in California, could somebody clarify for me: Is Atheist marriage an actual issue right now? I know you had that Prop 8 debacle, but I haven't heard anything about this.
kevinjameshall
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 am

Well, his actual strategy certainly fulfilled my expectations. Gav has the same ability at handling situations that he's always had.

It reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Homer is put in a van that has a mock-up of his work station. "Meltdown? How could he have caused a meltdown with no fissionable material?!"
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 am

kevinjameshall wrote:Since I don't live in California, could somebody clarify for me: Is Atheist marriage an actual issue right now? I know you had that Prop 8 debacle, but I haven't heard anything about this.
I think it is probably just a way of commenting on prop8 under the guise of fiction. Like how in the original star trek the Klingons represented the Soviet Union.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:40 am

Hmm... Isn't it a criminal offense to call in a prank call to the police?

Cecilia's actions may have some long term repercussions, once her call is determined to be a prank call.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 am

MaxJenius wrote:Hmm... Isn't it a criminal offense to call in a prank call to the police?

Cecilia's actions may have some long term repercussions, once her call is determined to be a prank call.

She may have planned ahead to make sure she doesn't get caught. There are ways to get a cheap cell phone that isn't in your name. Prisoners smuggling pre-paid cell phones into prisons is actually a significant problem.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Heh, even as a God fearing hominid, I have to agree with Gav on Wednesdays comic. Thanks, Gav your works makes me think and ponder. I don't always agree with you, but you make me ponder.
Thanks for that. :D
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ostracee on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:13 pm

kevinjameshall wrote:Since I don't live in California, could somebody clarify for me: Is Atheist marriage an actual issue right now? I know you had that Prop 8 debacle, but I haven't heard anything about this.

Everyone from California should know, that from up heah, this becoming a hot button issue ova theah seems completely plausible.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:54 am

Well, I think it's nuts. I could, sadly, see it happening, but it's nuts.
"Judge not or you will be judged"
And yes Gav, I agree, "he is without sin, cast the first stone."
"Love thy neighbour as yourself" That's the important part. Everything else is just extra baggage.
I am a Christian, and I am seriously offended by the actions of the fictional followers of my faith. (hee, hee alliteration is fun!)
Though *sigh* for some people, oh heck, a great many people, they are only barely exaggerated.
Thanks Gav, this story has really made me think.
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 am

First, in other news, I am really not digging on this "new users' posts have to be approved by Gav before they are posted" feature.

Thanks, guys. I've been hoping I'm not so heavy-handed with this "parody" to actually offend any actual god-fearing Christians to the point of stopping reading. That would ultimately defeat the whole point, after all.

The fact that there's any confusion over whether there actually is an anti-atheist-marriage movement in California or not just leads me to think I'm doing the right thing here...
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Well, you're on pretty safe ground here since almost none of your comic is directly making the religious folk look bad. Other than a few random lines from people in the crowds, all the characters in the story are established characters. Having the Christians follow Cecilia is more indirect, which makes the parody less confrontational. There's no big, stupid Christian speaker that people can point to and claim is just a strawman you created to make the other side look bad.

That's a good thing. Most of the best satire is insidiously subtle, sneaking into the brain without setting off alarms. That's why allegory is so powerful, people are more willing to read a story about communism when it stars barnyard animals or a story about bigotry that stars mutant superheroes.

Plus, let's face it, the audience for this comic is probably the most likely people in the world to get the joke. I'll go ahead with the obvious pun and say that you're preaching to the choir.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kevinjameshall on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 am

Well I'm a Christian and I don't find this offensive at all. There are a lot of Christians who say some very stupid, non-Christian things, then try to back it up with very stupid, non-Christian arguments. But let's do try to remember that Prop8 was largely pushed through by the Mormons, not the Christians.

loperspest, you should learn to Bible. Read 1Thessalonians ch.2 if you want a quotable passage about ministry.
kevinjameshall
Junior Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am

Thanks I will look that up. I admit I am not the most, eh, proficient, with the good book, but I do know my way around.
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Wafath on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 pm

kevinjameshall wrote:the Mormons, not the Christians.

Oh No. Not Again.

W
Wafath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby loperspest on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Let's all just calm down, and stop a flame war before it happens.
Loper the Pest says: Only You Can Prevent Forum Fires! :D
loperspest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Freak on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:07 am

The Catholics also pushed Prop 8.
Freak
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ostracee on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:22 am

Not to the same degree, financially...and it helps their case that California actually has Catholics in it.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm

What, you think there aren't any LDS here in CA??

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:08 am

The figures seem to be 33% Protestant, 31% catholic, 2% LDS, 2% Jewish, 1% Muslim, 4% otherwise religious, 21% non-religious. And apparently 6% unaccounted for; maybe agnostic?
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees