Obviously, you pillage first

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Obviously, you pillage first

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:53 am

How could you pillage a place after it had burned?
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Obviously, you pillage first

Postby JGatsby on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:15 am

when was this joke done before?
JGatsby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gav on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 pm

Not sure. I just seem to recall a "second panel joke" when Gav said "Pillage, THEN burn..." But I can't remember and it's not showing up in OhNoRobot. But only about half of the strips are transcribed in OhNoRobot.

At the moment, I'm not compelled to reread 1,600 strips just to find it, though. Maybe it doesn't exist. Too late to do anything about it anyway.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Jeffery McLean on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:29 am

I remember the "Pillage then burn" joke as well just not sure where I heard it.

PS. Circuit City add is annoying. Pops out of the banner to fill screen just as I click on the text area to type. Pops up ad. When I click out of the pop up the banner fills screen again. Irritating bullshit.

Even more so when the surge center (my pet name for circuit city) is closing the local store so I won't be able to shop and not find what I need there.
(I was shopping for a surge protector when the store first opened and they didn't have one. I ended up going to the small computer shop I planned to visit in the first place and got one there. Every time I visit CC they have exactly the wrong part or the right part for too much money)
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lareth on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:13 am

"Rape, Pillage, then burn!" has been a common joke in the Society for Chreative Anachronism for decades, found on T-shirts, bumper stickers and uttered frequently by people who think they're being clever.

The SCA was founded in Berkeley, and has had a pretty strong presence there ever since, so it's entirely possible you saw or heard it from one of them, or at any number of conventions where medievalesque people can be found, etc.

I don't think anyone can claim ownership of the joke at this point.

(Yea, Verily, and all that.)
Lareth
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ostracee on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:31 pm

(Cough, Schlock, cough...)

EDIT: Oh, you'd found it already. I should point out, then, that that phrase is the first of the "Habits of Highly Effective Pirates," from a book referenced throughout the series.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby yumitori on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:35 pm

Ostracee wrote:(Cough, Schlock, cough...)

As Lareth has already pointed out, this joke was old and hoary long before Schlock Mercenary ever put it on a T-shirt. It's been in common use for years, at least among fen, and I myself used the line well before that particular webcomic had even been created. So Gav is simply going to the classics.
yumitori
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Yeah, I've been using the phrase for years and I don't remember getting it from Schlock Mercenary. In fact, racking my addled brain, I seem to remember seeing Howard's use of it in Schlock lo those many years ago and thinking, "Hey, he stole that from me!"

An old friend of mine used to be pretty heavy into the SCA back in those days, too (used to make his own chain and plate armor). So sure, maybe I stole it from them.

So yeah I think it's just a common joke, or more likely, it's so obvious that we all thought of it independently and figured everyone else stole it from us.

I ended up scanning through the first five years or so of Nukees the other night, eventually giving up at 4am, and never saw it. So maybe I just assumed I'd made the joke before.

It's possible that I was *going* to use it, then after Howard did it, gave it up. Then forgot about it seven years later.

In the end, I'm glad I chose to present it in a slightly different way so it looks like maybe I was just putting a different spin on an old joke. Although at this point, I think I'll just try to forget I ever went there at all.

Oh, and since I'm no longer with Keenspot, the ads on the forum are beyond my control. The Circuit City ads annoy the crap out of me, too. Dealing with stuff like that is why I've removed the ads from my site completely and not replaced them with my own (though I think I still have to trim them out of a lot fo subpages). I've just been too lazy to set up a new forum.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby bloodeye on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 am

......if you're looking for gold in a wooden house, very possible to be easier to burn first.....

...not the common order, but just saying nuthin's set in stone....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby jnielsen on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:30 am

Did some digging and couldn't find anything dated earlier then http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20020207.html doesn't mean its not a lot older joke but thats nearly 7 years of your own archive you don't have to check. Would not get all that hung up on it though since we all just remake former works, wouldn't blink if you told me Shakespeare told that one first.
jnielsen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Freak on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:55 am

Gav wrote:Not sure. I just seem to recall a "second panel joke" when Gav said "Pillage, THEN burn..." But I can't remember and it's not showing up in OhNoRobot. But only about half of the strips are transcribed in OhNoRobot.

Most (all?) of the early years of Nukees are transcribed; Mar 2006 - Aug 2007 is transcribed but awaiting your approval. (http://www.ohnorobot.com/archive.pl?com ... =1&page=36). Maybe you could find someone you trust to approve the pending transcriptions?
Freak
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Freak wrote:Most (all?) of the early years of Nukees are transcribed; Mar 2006 - Aug 2007 is transcribed but awaiting your approval. (http://www.ohnorobot.com/archive.pl?com ... =1&page=36). Maybe you could find someone you trust to approve the pending transcriptions?

Unfortunately, I'm a control freak (no relation) and don't trust anyone. I'm extremely grateful for everyone who has helped out, but have found typos and spelling errors in at least 75% of the transcriptions, so my confidence in the accuracy of anyone's efforts but mine is kind of low. Of course, I'm far from perfect--I'm constantly finding my own mistakes upon re-reading. And who knows how much stuff I think I've spelled correctly? But I can deceive myself that I'm perfect despite evidence to the contrary through the infinite power of pure self-adoration.

Still, I've hit the point where I don't even think about OhNoRobot anymore. I definitely need to change that. Let's see, I've approved of 829 strips thus far, and have 556 left to approve. There are about 1650 total strips, leaving only about 300 untranscribed. Hey, that's not bad! Not long ago, it was closer to only half transcribed. That gives me a temporary impetus to get approving again... Think I'll spend another hour tonight...
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Gav on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Gav wrote:Think I'll spend another hour tonight...

Did I say 75%? I meant 95%. :-?

An hour later, and I'm down to 527 pending transcriptions... *sigh* Just 18 more hours to go...

Unfortunately, laundry now takes precedence.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Mr. Bill on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 am

I go with the SCA story myself, but I think this escaped the SCA in the form of "the Barbarian Birthday Dirge", which has been sorta viral and floated around all over...
Code: Select all
Happy Birthday!  <Grunt>
Happy Birthday!  <Grunt>
May the Candles on your cake,
  Burn like cities in your wake.
Happy Birthday!  <Grunt>
       :
   (Innumerable other verses)
      :
This one lesson you must learn
  first you pillage THEN you burn.
Happy Birthday! <grunt>
Mr. Bill
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Argus100i on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 am

The joke ran about 40 years ago in The Wizard of Id. I'm not sure that was the origin, but it's the way I'd bet.
Argus100i
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:I go with the SCA story myself, but I think this escaped the SCA in the form of "the Barbarian Birthday Dirge", which has been sorta viral and floated around all over...

huh. We actually sang this song (well, maybe 1/3rd of it--it never stops!) at a friend's birthday in... I want to say July. I wonder if it got reinforced in my subconscious then?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees