November 31st?

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

November 31st?

Postby damp_dave on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:41 am

Amusing minor error: "Updated 11/31", and the calendar view also shows the 31st of November.

My calendar shows the day after November 30th as December 1st... ;)

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: November 31st?

Postby Gav on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Pff! You and your primitive 30 day Novembers! Where I come from, we have advanced to the point of 32 day Novembers!
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:29 pm

I mock your 32 day Novembers! They are nothing before the might of my 13 month years!
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jeffery McLean on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:40 pm

You and your fancy smancy calendars.
Back in my day we used the Mayan calendar.
Nothing wrong with it. Works perfectly.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ostracee on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 am

This is why we should all switch to decimal time. Updates every 200 ± 20 ks. No, that does not remotely correspond to times of day, hence the margin of letting-cartoonists-sleep.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Ostracee wrote:This is why we should all switch to decimal time. Updates every 200 ± 20 ks. No, that does not remotely correspond to times of day, hence the margin of letting-cartoonists-sleep.

Shouldn't something termed "decimal" time update on some factor of ten? Like every 100,000 seconds? And what's with the uncertainty?

Codeguy, I'll be sure to update my calendar system some time next Smarch.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby suicide junkie on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:40 am

The factor of two is because the comic updates MWF, rather than every day, I imagine
Wielder of the 30-inch sniper rifle.
suicide junkie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:16 pm

suicide junkie wrote:The factor of two is because the comic updates MWF, rather than every day, I imagine

AH! I assumed he meant the calendar was updating on that cycle--in other words, the days.

Geez, your way makes a lot more sense.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby damp_dave on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 am

No big deal, it's only off by a factor of two. Just right-shift one bit and it's cool. :D

-soD
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:15 pm

You know, I've always said that my body appears to work on a 27 hour clock (which has made every weekday morning a horror and a half my entire life). Given no next-day commitments, I naturally stay awake about three hours later before thinking about sleep. Keep me in a room with no windows, and I'm sure I'd hit a 18/9 hour awake/sleep cycle.

But suddenly, now that you've pointed all this out, it all makes sense. I'm not just a "night person." I'm digital! I'll bet if I did the room-with-no-windows experiment, it would turn out I actually function naturally on a 100,000 second clock.

I was just born 618 million years too early.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm

I used to think that I worked on a longer clock than most. I always had a hard time falling asleep and wanted to stay up late.

Then I had a long period of not working, so I thought I'd try actually keeping to a longer schedule. The first few days went fine, I stayed up about 26 hours at a time. After that it got unpleasant. I didn't want to stay up more than 24 hours, but my schedule was stuck with being asleep during daylight hours, which was very inconvenient.

I started having to force myself to stay up 25 hours at a time. Only about the middle 18 of those hours were good ones, the first three hours of each day were slightly more of a struggle than normal mornings and the last five hours I was quite useless. By the time I got back to the point where I was waking up in the morning and going to sleep at somewhat normal hours, I couldn't come close to staying up an extra hour. It took a couple weeks to feel normal again.

I repeated the experiment a couple more times with the same results. Perhaps things would be different if I was completely cut off from sunlight, but right now I don't think my natural schedule is as much more than 24 hours as I originally thought.

Since then I've switched to diet/caffeine free sodas. With less sugar and no caffeine, I don't seem to be as inclined to push my bedtime further and further.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 am

The windowless domicile is key, of course. Even if I have to pull an all-night shift at the cyclotron (it's fun to say that), I find I can't sleep at all once the sun comes back up unless I can find some way to block it all out.

And in truth, I probably wouldn't adjust to digital time. This weekend, for instance, I found myself staying up until about three thirty (instead of twelve thirty) before getting tired and going to bed (and sleeping eight hours). Then the next night, I got equally tired at about three thirty again. So my body is just itching to stay up three hours later, but it doesn't then immediately shoot for another 27 hour cycle from there.

Of course, my miseries might also have something to do with the fact that it's now 1am and I have to be awake at 7am and instead of going ot bed like a good little boy, I'm typing boring tidbits about my sleep schedule on this forum. I am a stupid, stupid man when it comes to sleep. Nighttime Darren and morning Darren hate each other.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees