question...

It's funnier if you're drunk.

Moderator: John Myers

Postby John Myers on Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:32 am

Check this out...<P>This comic is the lowest performing comic on keenspot in terms of "pageviews" (not counting the comics that have ended, God bless 'em). Generally, this has never really bothered me. Seriously. I've been doing this thing for 4+ years. I would have quit long ago if I was worried about the popularity of the comic. It also has never really bothered me that the other keenspot artists generally don't correspond with me (which may partly be my own fault, since I tend to sorta keep to myself). It also has never really bothered me that the handful of you who actually read this comic have never really corresponded with me either (which again is probably somehow my own fault). When you add all of these things up, it paints kind of a bleak picture, at least it seems that way. Anyhoo, here's my question...<P>Should these things bother me? I'm beginning to think that they should...<P>If anyone has any thoughts on any of this, I'd like to hear them...
John Myers
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John Myers on Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Tom:
<B>Some nice points and perspectives there, Kozmo.<P>Questions back at ya, John: (1) Why do you do the comic?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Technically, you're not supposed to answer a question with a question, but I'll cut you slack since you're on the verge of your 1000th post... I can say that I draw it because it is fun and challenging, and I post it because it creates a forum to get feedback and gives me the opportunity to make new friends. In general, there hasn't been much of the latter lately...<P>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>(2) Why do you think that maybe these things should bother you?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
It should be disappointing to know you are at the bottom. Somehow, this doesn't really bother me. I'm beginning to think I'm an idiot...<P>
Now let me hear your thoughts...
John Myers
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Major Tom on Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:56 am

Thanks for the slack, I just couldn't even give you a bad/stupid opinion without a little more to go on.<P>In terms of action on the forum (if I understood this part right), I wouldn't let it get you, cuz I've seen alot of the boards that I look at running 'lighter than normal traffic'. I haven't looked at the stats to back that up, but that's been my impression.<P>Some other boards have banged up their board action with some interactive efforts -- words games, contest-type-stuff and with more threads from 'The Man' asking questions and whatnot (y'know, like this one).<P>But that's just the board. The comic is the meat and potatos, here, and I don't really think I've got the experience in the comix area to expect you to care about my thoughts in this area. Don't know if that was really part of your question, either ("Should I change the comic in any way?"), so I won't go there.<P>If I had your skill and I was still having fun, I would probably stick with it. If you're curious about whether more traffic would make this more worthwhile, maybe you can look into promotional tactics (crossover week, whatever...)<P>If you're wondering if there are any perks in popularity, per se, that's a different matter -- getting more folks to look at Mr. Chuck would be a good start.<P>Opinion poll? (actually, I'm in that business, and whenever you ask a question, you have to be ready for the answer, even when it's not the one you hoped for, so this could be a bit dicey if your confidence or whatever is on the rocks...)<P>net/net - I'd miss Mr. Chuck.<P>Thanks again for the slack -- I was looking around for something worthwhile to do with my 'post 1000', but everywhere I looked the conversations were basically "I just farted" and "So's your mother.". Besides, if you had smacked me for asking questions, I probably would have replied with "Piss off, booger." or something -- this was more substantial.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby haemon78 on Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:20 am

Tom and Koz both have excellent (and well-articulated) points, so I'm not sure how much I have to add. However, being a somewhat long-time fan, I figured I'd weigh in on this one.<P>It's a bit of a "Dr. Phil"-type answer, but I honestly think that if it doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother you. However, if you think it should bother you, perhaps it really does. Confused yet?<P>The bottom line is that, by admission, you didn't begin drawing MCS as an entry in a popularity contest, so I wouldn't worry about what the statistics seem to say. <P>However, one of the benefits you mentioned was feedback, the lack of which you also noted. Here's where it becomes a bit of a cost/benefit analysis. Does the lack of feedback negate the pleasure you derive from drawing and posting the strip? If so, how much?<P>I suppose the numbers are only really relevant if they accurately measure success as you define it. If not, they're just someone else's numbers. <P>Finally, at the risk of being accused of blowing sunshine up your ass, I still really dig the strip. I'm not sure how that plays into the intangible income you derive from this pursuit, but I thought I'd tack that on there for good measure.
haemon78
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby PsychoAg98 on Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:46 am

John, first let me say I love the comic. "I love the comic." Glad it is back, and I can't believe I strayed from the message board for so long. Got caught up on wrestling message boards and college football message boards mostly.<P>I know how you feel about lack of feedback. The only way I can get anyone to send me an email about my site is when they are answering a trivia question. I know people read it because I check the stats, but I want to know if they are laughing or groaning. (By the way, I sent you several emails over the past few months, not knowing your account was down.)<P>438 hits per day aint bad. My entire site has 2200 in about 6 months. Of course I only update weekly (Weakly), but even then the scale difference is huge. My last Friday's addition, to date, has gotten 11 hits. Pretty bad considering I have an email list to notify people of updates and there are about 75-80 people on the list.<P>Don't let things get you down, you draw a great comic and should be proud of it. Now, don't make me choke-slam you. (Or post a picture of you and ruin the mystique, I have one you know...)<P>PsychoAg<P>------------------
PsychoAg98
<A HREF="http://theretort.com" TARGET=_blank>The Weakly Retort</A>
PsychoAg98
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kozmo on Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:44 am

According to your stat page, you are averaging 483.5 pageviews per day for the last 28 days, not counting the number of hits for the rest of today. If you reach the projected number of hits for today, that average will increase to 492.393 hits per day for the last 28.<P>Given the fact that you've been running re-runs and reimaginings, and have been MIA for nearly 2 months at the end of last year, that's not too bad. Also notice that your busiest day was on 18 October 2001 which is a week or two before the sabbatical. The MCS forum, although having fewer new posts (not coincidently congruent with the hiatus ) is still enjoying a modicum of success due to loyal readers.<P>As for MCS's performance relitave to other Keenspot comics, the words of Max Ehrmann's poem - <A HREF="http://acadia.bu.edu/johnk_html/Philosophy/Desiderata.html" TARGET=_blank>Desiderata</A> - comes to mind.....<P>"...If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons then yourself..."
kozmo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Major Tom on Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:12 pm

Some nice points and perspectives there, Kozmo.<P>Questions back at ya, John: (1) Why do you do the comic?<P>(2) Why do you think that maybe these things should bother you?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby haemon78 on Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:14 am

I actually have nothing of relevance to add in this post. I just noticed that things seem to have slowed on the board, which I'm guessing is due to the gravity of the subject. At first, I was going to see how long the silence would prevail on the board, but it started to get creepy.
haemon78
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jesoes on Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:46 am

I frequent the comic and the boards, I must admit though during your dissapearance I only checked in here every couple of weeks. But now that the comic is back up...and if I may say so, it is on fine form! I am here every day, and if I ever miss a day, I read back...I haven't missed an episode since the bucket scenario and I'm still waiting to find out what was in it...
Jesoes
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kozmo on Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by haemon78:
<B>I actually have nothing of relevance to add in this post. I just noticed that things seem to have slowed on the board, which I'm guessing is due to the gravity of the subject. At first, I was going to see how long the silence would prevail on the board, but it started to get creepy.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wanted to offer an off-topic observation of my own as well. I didn't think it merited its own topic so I figured I'd just leech off another.<P>Has anybody went to buy condoms and after they got done at the checkout counter the clerk says "have a good day"? I found that rather amusing...
kozmo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby haemon78 on Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kozmo:
<B> I wanted to offer an off-topic observation of my own as well. I didn't think it merited its own topic so I figured I'd just leech off another.<P>Has anybody went to buy condoms and after they got done at the checkout counter the clerk says "have a good day"? I found that rather amusing...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, that's never happened to me, but I do have something close. I have this dream where I go to buy condoms and Leah Remini is the clerk at the checkout counter, and she says, "<I>Wanna</I> have a good day?" and takes off her shirt. I won't tell you the rest, but it involves fondue, a Slip-'n-Slide, and a plastic pink flamingo.
haemon78
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MikeM on Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:41 am

John,<P>I don't post much, but I am a fan of the comic and I truely missed it while you were on sabbatical. I think your page views will increase now that you are back, so I wouldn't be worried.<P>As for the forum activity, I think that it is a function of the audience. If you look at the really active forums (CRFH, for example), they seem to be populated with "younger" types (high school age) who have a lot of time on their hands. Actually, the activity on this forum is (or was prior to the hiatus) as great as that on Gav's forum, so I wouldn't be discouraged.<P>I hope you keep drawing the comic and participate in the forum when you have something to say.
MikeM
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby NornaGest on Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:39 am

Another factor to consider:
How much does Quickkeen skew these page counts? Except for Soap on a Rope and Fat Jesus*, I do all my Keenspot viewing via
Quickkeen. Would that not show up as my not putting forth <I>any</I> pageviews?<P>For that matter, am I in a miniscule minority or does enough of your viewship lie in Quickkeen accessers to render the "pagecount" less than meaningful?
NornaGest
Keenspot Despot

Return to The Mr. Chuck Show