Joe and University?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby kelvin on Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:26 am

Am I the only person that thinks Joe isn't planning on going at all? <P>Between money (which is probably stretched to the limit for his family) and the fact that he's never shown huge academic drive, I can't see him choosing to spend tons'o'cash that isn't there!<P>Maybe he'll choose a good college program! There's lots of them out there and the full year tuition is 2k-2.5k rather than the whopping 3-4k PER SEMESTER that you pay (in Ontario).<P>-Kelvin
kelvin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Anh Minh on Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:49 am

What do you mean, he doesn't show any accademic drive? He's very stressed before the exams, and isn't ashamed to show it. That's already a lot.<P>
Albatross-Minh
Anh Minh
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ollie on Sat Nov 17, 2001 3:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anh Minh:
<B>What do you mean, he doesn't show any accademic drive? He's very stressed before the exams, and isn't ashamed to show it.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that doesn't count for anything, I'm never stressed before exams, and my way of showing it is by turning up at the wrong time, a few hours early (yey, you might think, no, not if there's a pub next door resulting in drunken exam taking) or just going to the wrong ones, doing and passing them anyway..<P>if he's worried/stressed (as that's the new chapter title) about academic stuff generally (or whenever he remembers it's about time to start revising etc) then he might not relish going into an expencive further education program, if he were naturally good (ie easily good, no stress) or just didn't let it get to him, it'd be a lot easyer to choose which/where to go to...<P>for a worrier (academic/relationship) like Joe, this isn't the point at which Ceilidh should be adding to his problems...<P>------------------
ollie.
<A HREF="http://www.drownedinsound.com" TARGET=_blank>www.drownedinsound.com</A>
Music news, reviews and more
ollie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Anh Minh on Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:06 am

In my experience, being naturally good has nothing to do with it. There are all the config: good/worried, good/relaxed, bad/worried, & bad/relaxed.<P>As for wanting or not an expensive university... Why not? He might actually be addicted to stress. He wouldn't be the first.<P>And Ceilidh... She probably shouldn't stress him more. It's not going to make him happy with her. But it might be good for him. Keep him from being obsessed with one thing.<P>Albatross-Minh
Anh Minh
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sterling on Sun Nov 18, 2001 6:50 am

It may be worth noting that Josh has not, in any strips I can remember, mentioned Joe's academic performance. From where do you draw the conclusion that he doesn't do well? I got the impression that he was at least an average student, if not better.<P>Did you assume he was a poor student because he and Alan skip classes? Because he's got a tendency to slack off? Because he asks Ghada for help studying?<P>Maybe he's worried about tests in general, and wants to make sure he doesn't screw anything up on something as "important" as a high school exam. I used to get stressed around exam time, too.<P>------------------
-Sterling
Present day.............
...........Present Time!
Sterling
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kelvin on Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:57 am

I didn't say Joe didn't do well in school, just that he doesn't seem to exhibit academic drive. More important things on his mind, that sort of thing. Or not, maybe he just hasn't really gotten around to thinking about it. <P>God knows, you have to be some kinda brilliant to get by in University without being REALLY motivated to do well. <P>Now, I'm trying to figure out from todays comic if he means his mother's forcing him to go or can't afford to send him.
kelvin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby SabrStrykMkII on Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:02 am

Joe's the sort that worries "about the (tests|exams)"&"scores a near perfect"&"destroys the curve"&"has the rest of the class pissed off at him because they're too 'st00pid' to realize that their grades result from their 'lack of intelligence'|'poor study skills'".<P>There. I think I used Boolean algebra for all operators. If !(Boolean=1), then (1->sorry).
SabrStrykMkII
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby K A H on Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SabrStrykMkII:
<B>Joe's the sort that worries "about the (tests|exams)"&"scores a near perfect"&"destroys the curve"&"has the rest of the class pissed off at him because they're too 'st00pid' to realize that their grades result from their 'lack of intelligence'|'poor study skills'".<P>There. I think I used Boolean algebra for all operators. If !(Boolean=1), then (1->sorry).</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Story of my undergraduate career. I generally fared well on the exams - yes, sometimes I got the top mark in the class, once by quite a wide margin - but going into the exams (and usually coming out of them) I'd be convinced I was going to fail, or had failed. (Getting a 45% on my first university exam wasn't exactly a good trendsetter.... of course, the marks in that class were curved more sharply than an acute angle, so I still passed with flying colours.) And everyone else in the class would struggle to refrain from beating me to death with blunt instruments. Which I probably deserved!<P>Not to mention the many times we would go into our Fourier series quizzes every week in my second year, and everyone who had not even <I>looked</I> at the problem sheet that covered the material on the quiz until an hour before the quiz itself would spend the entire day complaining about how difficult the class was while I stood there trying not to throttle them while shrieking "<I>Well maybe if you <B>studied</B> it wouldn't be so difficult!! Ever think'a <B>THAT</B>!?!</I>"<P>K.A.H.
These days I'm the one who should be throttled!
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Friggin' Cornflakes on Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SabrStrykMkII:
<B>
There. I think I used Boolean algebra for all operators. If !(Boolean=1), then (1->sorry).</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>GAH! I'm driving here! I wrote my trig term paper in high school on Boolean Algebra... neat stuff, but the fact that I had to write ten pages on it... It's a good thing I had so many footnotes. Heheh.<P>[rant]
But now I'm in the same jam again... I've got a 10 page Psych paper due in 12 hours... and I'm going to be up for the rest of the night writing the last 9. Crap! I always do this. I prolly shouldn't have gotten wasted this weekend. Yeah, that would have helped. Now I'm going to turn in a crappy, unsophisticated review instead of a in-depth argument and critique on <I>The Natural Mind</I>. And that's a really interesting book... It's just the paper that's getting to me. And guess what, I'm posting in a forum instead of writing. Oops.[/rant]<P>Oh yeah, back to the topic. Well, I say his problem is that Canadian monopoly money. He needs to get some green bills with dead presidents and politically incorrect statements about trusting God despite the fact that there's separation of church and state so that Hindus and Buddhists should be offended.<P>Or he could try prostitution! It worked for Deidre.
Friggin' Cornflakes
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Friggin' Cornflakes:
<B>[rant]
But now I'm in the same jam again... I've got a 10 page Psych paper due in 12 hours... and I'm going to be up for the rest of the night writing the last 9. Crap! I always do this. I prolly shouldn't have gotten wasted this weekend. Yeah, that would have helped. Now I'm going to turn in a crappy, unsophisticated review instead of a in-depth argument and critique on <I>The Natural Mind</I>. And that's a really interesting book... It's just the paper that's getting to me. And guess what, I'm posting in a forum instead of writing. Oops.[/rant]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In my Japanese Fiction class, I was in the unpleasant position of having put off the final essay WAY past the deadline. If I didn't get it in at all (or emailed it to him after the end of his final office hours for the semester), I'd get a D in the class. I came up with a topic (which was comparing the plotting of Natsume Soseki's novel "Kokoro" with the formal structure of classical Noh drama) <I>nine minutes</I> before his office hours were over, wrote the entire thing (including looking up quotes to support my position, since I obviously hadn't done so before I came up with the topic), and sent it off to him one minute before he closed up his office. I got an A on the essay, marked down to a B for lateness. I also nearly gave myself a heart attack.<P>By the way, if you ever get the idea to read the Tale of Genji, don't. Unless you're having problems with insomnia.<P>------------------
"My work here is done...
I go now, to mess with the Watchmen..."<P> - Darryl a.k.a. the Kingdom Come Baby, "Age of Crisis on Infinite Clones Saga - Chapter One Million: Onslaught of the Secret Genesis Wars Agenda", <I>Plastic Man Special '99</I>
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:41 am

2 out of 3! Not bad...<P>Well, maybe 2 1/2 out of 3.
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Nov 20, 2001 6:49 am

/me starts cheering
<B><I>U of S! U of S! YEAH!</B></I><P>Umm, sorry.
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Terra on Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:03 am

*note to self, don't use SM42's real name, it's taken be someone else...*<P>Is that where you wanna go Ke-uh... SM42? Or are you just being patriotic to your home province? Or perhaps you're just being your normal crazy self?<P>------------------
"MOMENTAI!"<P>"He drew his sword and said 'Take this!' So I did."
Terra
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Avalon