[YAFT] Nikolai's Sketchitarium (9/23/07) (56K GO BOOM!)

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[YAFT] Nikolai's Sketchitarium (9/23/07) (56K GO BOOM!)

Postby Nikolai on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:00 pm

I decided to make a thread dedicated to my, well, drawings that I make every so often.

First off, a sketch from my cottage vacation, of one of my cats sleeping:

Here's Grace, plus the linart
Image Image

Nanase, looking a bit distressed! +Lineart
Image Image

Squirrel Grace, running away! (Requested by Kalga) (NEW!)
ImageImage

What's Next?
    Damien (Requested by Taylon, Strip 4/17/04 frame 2) On the shelf

Squirrel-Grace (+ Vlad, maybe) (Requested by Kalga, Strip 2/4/04 frame 4) (Going to be tough! It's a small picture. :lol:) Done!

Something from Loztein! He hasn't gotten pictures of it to me yet. :P

"Return of the Squirrel" Squirrel-Grace. (Grace's birthday after PB, Strip 5/13/05 frame 14)

Want to make a request? Post if they're open, and I'll give it a try!

Current request status: Open-ish.

If you would like to point out glaring errors in my work, please do so through the use of a picture! I like to see my mistakes pointed out, so I can avoid doing them in the future! Please copy the picture, and circle the mistakes with red, so they're easy to see. Finally, get some text in there to specify the error. Please send these pictures via PM, or post them here. Thank you in advance. :D

Why does it seem like I've seen this picture before?

You probably have. My art, as much as I would like it to be, is not original. I am a very visual person, and it's currently tough for me to think up something, and draw it on paper just after thinking about it. When I draw, I'll look at a picture of something (for instance, a recent EGS comic), find a subject I would like to draw, and I draw it. I do not trace the picture, I eyeball the picture, and actually enlarge it on the paper. I am able to do this with just about any picture I see. I figure, if I master getting what I can see on paper, maybe I can move on to things I can't? Any criticism about my technique should be directed to me via Private Message.
Last edited by Nikolai on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Inventory.
I also have an art thread!
Assign me dinoriders, help me take over the world of dinosaurs, MUHAHAHAHAHA!
Current form: Normal, Human Male
Now Playing: Kingdom Hearts 2, World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3.

"No! Don't you get it? If you die in Canada...You DIE IN REAL LIFE!" -xkcd
Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Taylon on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:11 pm

From what I see, it looks good. You should not put yourself down. =)
Taylon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 am

I call this art.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Amon Star on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:08 am

Illusionist wrote:I call this art.
As would I. It looks good.
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kalga on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:57 am

I called it art when I enlarged it. The thumbnail looks like smudges. You should also try inking it...
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nikolai on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:51 am

Kalga wrote:I called it art when I enlarged it. The thumbnail looks like smudges. You should also try inking it...

I WAS thinking about inking it, but I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good picture if I messed up. :P

What it is, is that I sat down near my sleeping cat and started drawing. It took me about 15 minutes to get the outline, with a little improvisation towards the back end after my cat moved. I then tried to see if I could get the colouring of his fur down, but that failed so I went with a 4-stripe design. The little bit by the eye is his colouring though, as are the rings on the tail. The background is just...bleh.:-|

Inventory.
Now Playing: Kingdom Hearts 2, World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kalga on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 am

Hmmm.... scan it and ink it on the computer. That's what I do, if I need to ink something.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby catldr24 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Kalga wrote:I called it art when I enlarged it. The thumbnail looks like smudges. You should also try inking it...

I WAS thinking about inking it, but I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good picture if I messed up. :P
Make a copy of it, and try to ink the copy. Look at the original as a reference.
Drayco: ((Oh yeah, I forgot he's been repeatedly used as a weapon during the fight. ^^; ))
At least when I'm multitasking, I know where I can go to retrieve my mind.
My Inventory

Current form: So zetta slow!
catldr24
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kalga on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Yeah. I was gonna suggest making a copy, but I thought it would all disappear in the sketch....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby cidhighwind767 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Yeah, make a copy before you try inking it.
My attempts at inking anything which I've smudged the pencil didn't turn out too well.
cidhighwind767
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby fesworks on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

cidhighwind767 wrote:Yeah, make a copy before you try inking it.
My attempts at inking anything which I've smudged the pencil didn't turn out too well.

TRACE PAPER!!!!
fesworks
Keenspotter Supreme

subject

Postby Nikolai on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Funny you should all suggest making a copy, since I actually started one (Read: got ready to start one) earlier today before work. I'm not using trace paper, just a piece of paper from the 50-sheet tablet I use, a clipboard, and a nice, bright light. I also decided to try a more line-y approach to the colouring, which looks a LOT better than smudging for a cat.

Oh, and the reason I fear inking would be because I want to do it with a sort of gel-like pen, and because it's pretty much a one-shot thing. I'd hate to take the time to make a copy, then screw up right at the beginning, or right near the end.

In any case, scanner status = AUGH!

Edit: Wait, did I say augh? I meant UP! and scans are imminent!

Edit 2: New stuff! The following sketches were all done on the same sheet of paper, edited ensued to take out the junk.

My first good sketch, done in grade 12 university-level chem with a substitute teacher, I got so bored I drew my hand. This was also the first time I experimented with the smudging-style colouring. Yes, I realize I missed the finger underneath for bottom support on the pencil. No, I'm not going to fix it. :P

This guy has been around since around grade 11, when I drew him in flash from just messing around. I occasionally give him a try, as he's not too hard. Drawn in another grade 12 chem class on the same sheet of paper. I gave him the name "Orbin."

Finally, the guy I call the "Square Reaper." He's been sketched every once in a while, as it's incredibly simple to do. I'm actually confident when I ink this guy, and regularly do so.

Happy? Now don't expect another scan for ages...:roll:

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nikolai on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 pm

Hate to double post, but I just want to make sure what I'm seeing is right...

Everyone can see all of the pictures, right?

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ein on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:20 pm

Yup
Ein
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nikolai on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:37 pm

Ok, so it's a problem with my browser then...wierd.

EDIT: I figured it out! just had to clear my cache...
Last edited by Nikolai on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:23 am

Orbin sounds like a type of mint.

Good art, BTW.
Last edited by Illusionist on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nikolai on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Illusionist wrote:Orbin sounds liek a type of mint.

Good art, BTW.

I googled Orbin, but only found references to the Orbin family tree.

And thanks! I'm going to put up another sketch I just found, but not right now. Going through a water-related crisis right now. :-|

(We just had a torrential downpour and, despite the sump pump's best efforts, we were flooded. Nothing got damaged, but a lot of cleanup needs to be done.)

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Loztein on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Orbin sounds liek a type of mint.

Good art, BTW.

I googled Orbin, but only found references to the Orbin family tree.

And thanks! I'm going to put up another sketch I just found, but not right now. Going through a water-related crisis right now. :-|

(We just had a torrential downpour and, despite the sump pump's best efforts, we were flooded. Nothing got damaged, but a lot of cleanup needs to be done.)

It sounds like Orbit. :P , the fluffy kitty and the two fingers holding the pencil impress me. The two little Guys, Orbin & the Square Reaper I just find adorable.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby Nikolai on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks Loztein, I didn't think the cat or hand drawing would really impress anyone. :D

I'm actually working on getting a sketch of Grace and maybe Elliot up and around. I'm working on getting the drawing down, so I probably won't get anything original up for a while. Maybe, a week if I really work at it.

(Probably 2...WoW is just so darn addicting. I'll try and get up a sample sketch up soon. :P)

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Loztein on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:43 am

Nikolai wrote:Thanks Loztein, I didn't think the cat or hand drawing would really impress anyone. :D

They impressed me. I have a completely different drawing style than you and those are hard to draw for me. The kitty has some noticeable problems but I KNOW it's a cat and can tell what pose it's in and everything, whenever I draw a cat it looks like a Mummy Demon or something.

As for the fingers, I just can't manage it, I've gotten good at dreadful claws but can't draw fingers worth much at all... I'm really thinking of making an art thread some day so I can show people why I'm impressed with certain aspects of their art.... I can't wait to see your Grace & Elliot pictures but I geuss I'll have to so they can actually be made, eh?
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:22 am

Pretty good art.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nikolai on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 am

Loztein wrote:I can't wait to see your Grace & Elliot pictures but I geuss I'll have to so they can actually be made, eh?

Indeed, and it might take longer than the few weeks I said. It's tough getting Grace down on paper the way I want her! :P

It's tough because I seem to only be able to draw what I can see, unless it's something relatively simple (Orbin, or whatever). For my fingers, I would just look at them as I was drawing them, and draw what I see. I might have to invest in one of those posable dummies or something. :-?

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Loztein on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:58 am

Nikolai wrote: I might have to invest in one of those posable dummies or something. :-?

{I assume you mean the wooden ones.} Ah, I was looking at those awhile ago but.... I realized I'd need one, scratch that, three specially made for me, one male, one female, and one genderless, if I ever were to get any (Because the differences are THAT noticeable to me) and get them designed with fully functioning fingers & Toes. Aside from all that, there actually quite useful when it comes to pose designing....

I've fiddled with them in the stores abit, when I noticed they can't do everything a Human Can, I noticed this while playing with the arms, it's not too noticeable but for me I took quick notice of it while trying to mimic a picture I remembered from the cover of one of those weird Yoga Movies you see in the stores.

The main thing I don't like about them however is that you can't fiddle with the feet & hands, those parts are static. Which is really crippling when your making a character who walks like a Digitrade, or when your trying to figure out how someone's hand would look while holding something...

Like I said I'm very picky when it comes to these things, and I wouldn't recommend them (or atleast not alone) for people encountering the tough problems, but for working on and getting to see basic poses alone, there is no better tool out there that I've seen, and if that's where your problem lies, you should definetely get one of them.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nikolai on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Ok, so I don't have Grace stuff yet. I do have some other random sketching-stuff though!

My attempt at eyes, and a bunch of random stuff. You'll notice the top pair of eyes aren't the same, but the bottom two are. This is due to me drawing one eye (The right one) first, then trying to duplicate it without any tracing. As you can see, I failed. However, I like the left-side eye better, for some reason. The bottom eyes are traces of the top-right eye, with more of a face going on there. I am horribly confused by Dan's eyes, as noted by the question mark. They seem so...simplistic!

This is a whole page, so it's pretty big...I didn't really do much on this page besides try heads. Heads and cat-ears. The head in the bottom right is supposed to look like they're looking away, and I'm absolutely horrible at hair. Even stickman-pirates agree! The picture in the top-left is that of my stick (or a "staff" if you will), hand carved by me during a vacation a few years ago. It's got a nice, wild curve in it that straightens back out to the stick's natural line, almost spot-on too, as you can see in the picture. It sits in a corner of my room, always ready for a walk.

Inventory.

Nikolai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kalga on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 pm

I'll give you a couple hints at drawing cat ears. Just let me draw a few. I'm good at catears.... no particular reasons..... I just used to draw a lot of catgirls, due to my inability to draw masculine men, and up till recently, human ears.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive