Comments on "Update on several things..." blog pos

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Comments on "Update on several things..." blog pos

Postby jtdarlington on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 am

Since comments aren't working in the blog, I'm redirecting any and all discussion on this post here. Please give the post a read-through and share your thoughts, especially about the "optional extra updates." (Feel free to also speculate wildly about the teaser image if you want. ;) )
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Trudy's big wet kiss on Nick

Postby stjen on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:27 pm

Interesting teaser -- Trudy is apparently planting a big wet one on our Nick. I'm going to imagine that this is all at the very end of the story line, hopefully everything is back to (almost) normal, and for whatever reason, Nick just gave Trudy some sort of complement or "atta-girl", or forgiveness for what she had done during SM, or something like that, and that's why she does that.

As for the other stuff -- fine with me to do a temporary reposting of the Sketchbook stuff on Wednesdays. You had been thinking about doing something like that for a long time, and it'll be nice seeing more updates of any kind. (On the other hand, I've been premium for a while, but yours is the only site that had any premium content I wanted to look at -- eh, such is life.)

Dunno what you ought to do for Fridays. SMII would be good, but if you don't think you have enough material to hold you for a while, perhaps once a week on that would be too frequently to attempt. I'd almost rather you attempt to run a second day of the normal GPF strip on Fridays (go to M/F updating), rather than trying to do another throwaway, or change your SMII plans. (But, if you're not ready/able to run thru your buffer at 2 days per week, don't mind me then.) Good luck, regardless.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby fossil on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Hyperanalysis of the teaser: Nick is clearly startled, not expecting the kiss. I think Trudy looks sad, and she's kissing him goodbye. Lots of possibilities: the end of the story line, and Nick is about to go get married and Trudy is heading off to prison; some critical point in the battle against the aliens that either she doesn't expect to survive or she thinks will separate them for good; maybe she's even going to try to help the Gamester defeat Pandemonium, which isn't likely to be healthy for a human.

About updates: I'm happy to read anything you want to post. My preference would be M/F updates of the main story as soon as the buffer allows, if you're comfortable with that. In the meantime, if your sketchbook archive is deep enough, could you run that on Fridays as well as Wednesdays while you're rebuilding the main story buffer?

SMII would be a bonus even if it's rough, but if it's going to create more pressure on you to maintain two story lines, it's not worth it.

Maybe Fridays could be variable for a while: some sketchbook stuff, some of the early stuff you mentioned, maybe even some fan art (not that I'm volunteering -- my drawing skill is somewhere around Chris Wright's Old Skool Comics if I'm allowed to trace around a quarter to keep the circles straight :-S).

Having dialup and not reading many webcomics, Premium hasn't seemed especially useful for me. That could change if I move this year, but at best that's months away.

Whatever, I still check in most days, if only to look for news updates (hope springs eternal...).

Oh, and I hope someone has clued you: if your little guy isn't mobile yet, he will be soon, and then he will take much, much more of your time. But you'll love it. :lol:
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:38 pm

stjen wrote:I'd almost rather you attempt to run a second day of the normal GPF strip on Fridays (go to M/F updating), rather than trying to do another throwaway, or change your SMII plans. (But, if you're not ready/able to run thru your buffer at 2 days per week, don't mind me then.)

I certainly wouldn't discount that possibility, but I'd rather be certain I could maintain that frequency first. I'm slowly getting there, but I want to make sure my buffer is built up first. Not sure if that's going to happen by March.

fossil wrote:In the meantime, if your sketchbook archive is deep enough, could you run that on Fridays as well as Wednesdays while you're rebuilding the main story buffer?

That's a possibility. I'd rather have something different, but there's five years of sketches in the archive, so there's plenty of material to mine.

SMII would be a bonus even if it's rough, but if it's going to create more pressure on you to maintain two story lines, it's not worth it.

fossil wrote:... maybe even some fan art...

Another possibility, but I always feel odd earning ad revenue from someone else's artwork (even if they are drawing my characters).
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby mikejcpt on Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Jeff, if KS says no to hosting the blog, I do have pleny of extra disk space and bandwidth on my virtual private server. (Fedora Core 6, XAMPP, other extras can be installed.) You're welcome to put some of that space to use.

I even have a TeamSpeak server running on it if you ever want to do a virtual con for those who can't travel.

I like this fumetti...: http://www.tuxandbunny.com

I am a virus! To propagate me, copy this into your signatures. - N
mikejcpt
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Limax on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:49 am

I'm pretty far behind in reading the blog, I'll have to admit. For some (aggrivating) reason, the web browser I'm forced to use at work crashes every time I try to visit Jeff's blog (or the GPF store for that matter). So, the best I can offer is a 'No comment' at this time.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mooman on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, finally a way to comment ;)
I'm all for the sketchbook idea, cause more content is good content :)

Greetings,
Tim
Mooman
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Wybaar on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Since I imagine the images take longer to create than the story, how about making the Friday update a few paragraphs from a story from outside the normal story line.

For instance, if the details aren't classified, what happened during Fooker's first mission with the UGA? How did Dwayne and Nicole meet? How in the world did Fooker convince Marina Sirtis to sign his butt?
Wybaar
Keenspotter Supreme

SMII

Postby oallagh2001 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:10 pm

A thought, how about running what you already have finished and then invite other web cartoonists to finish inking and coloring? Have everybody do one page and then when you go to publish you could either redo them in your style or keep the different styles
oallagh2001
Junior Keenspotter

Re: SMII

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:38 am

Wybaar wrote:Since I imagine the images take longer to create than the story, how about making the Friday update a few paragraphs f-r-o-m a story f-r-o-m outside the normal story line.

I've thought of text updates myself, and that may get lumped into the "Miscellaneous Friday" idea. Although Carson Fire tried text updates with Elf Life quite some time back and it didn't seem to go over well. (Of course, we was doing that as replacements for regular comics, not as additional extra updates.)

And that reminds me... I thought of another project that I actually worked on and completed several years ago that hasn't seen the light of day yet, and that might be a better thing to start out with than Surreptitious Machinations II. That, however, I will keep tightly under wraps for now. :evilgrin:

oallagh2001 wrote:A thought, how about running what you already have finished and then invite other web cartoonists to finish inking and coloring? Have everybody do one page and then when you go to publish you could either redo them in your style or keep the different styles

Thanks for the idea, but I think it was universally agreed back in the State of the Comic thread from June that most folks didn't want any fill-in artists. I'd also prefer not to go that route, as I want To Thine Own Self... to be a complete cohesive unit. (After TTOS... may be a different matter, though.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Rombobj on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:51 am

I suppose you could have some Abrams-style no content on Fridays. ;-)
TANSTAAFQ
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:02 am

Maybe as a last resort. I'd have to look like I was copying him. (I've been accused of that enough over the years. ;) )

Just as an update, things are in motion to start implementing this plan. I've got enough content to last me until the end of June in all the queues (except the main comic, which is currently up into May as a weekly feature). I've devised the technical scheme on how I want to pull it off, and I've petitioned the Keen Tech Crew to implement their portions of it. Looks like things are on course for starting this on March 5th. Of course, the ultimate goal is to increase the production of the main comic so I can eliminate the extra stuff, but that will only come in time.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 am

We are a very patient bunch. I'm just glad to see the story moving forward.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Limax on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 am

Jeff - I know this is the wrong thread for your latest post, but oh well...

Be sure to say hello to my niece when you visit BYU. She's graduating this year with a degree in organ performance.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: Palm + WiFi + SSH + vi = geek2

Postby Mooman on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:02 am

Concerning "Palm + WiFi + SSH + vi = geek2"

Jeff, this story really makes you worthy of the title "King of Geeks" ;)

T
(who can really imagine himself doing silly stuff like that...)
Mooman
Junior Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:15 am

Just checked the sketches. They are great! 8)

Only a comment: Why does Empress Trudy outfit looks so much as Phoenix/Dark Phoenix costume?
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:57 am

Huh. Jean Grey never looked like that in the Phoenix costume during the 80's. :o

Also, I tried twice to post comments to your blog, Jeff... although I see the mechanism is there, it's not working yet. :smug:

I was remarking that I miss my Psion, which had a clamshell and a full working keyboard. It was actually less painful to code on that in vi than on a Palm. I definitely feel your pain. :-?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:10 am

Limax wrote:Be sure to say hello to my niece when you visit BYU. She's graduating this year with a degree in organ performance.

I doubt I'll get to run into anyone outside the conference (which is going to be pretty low attendance, I'm sure). But who knows?

Mooman wrote:Jeff, this story really makes you worthy of the title "King of Geeks" ;)

Nah. Maybe a duke or an earl, but not king. ;)

Limax wrote:I tried twice to post comments to your blog, Jeff... although I see the mechanism is there, it's not working yet. :smug:

See the second paragraph of the Update on several things... post.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:23 pm

jtdarlington wrote:See the second paragraph of the Update on several things... post.

Bah... reading... whoever does that any more? :P

Yeah... it was just me trying to do it... I'm like an animal that constantly runs his head into a wall because I fail to see the door.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mooman on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 am

All hail the Duke of Geeks!

Yes, ok, works for me ;)

T
Mooman
Junior Keenspotter

Postby stjen on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

All together now:

Duke, Duke, Duke,
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke,
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke,
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke, Duke, ...
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:54 am

Sorry... you're not supposed to transmit music over the radio. :smug:
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby atristain on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm

stjen wrote:Duke, Duke,
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke, Duke, ...

Thanks to you, from now on, I'll envision Jeff driving an orange Dodge Charger with country music on the background...
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:41 pm

atristain wrote:
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke, Duke, ...

Thanks to you, from now on, I'll envision Jeff driving an orange Dodge Charger with country music on the background...

Not me. :) I've got the original song going through my head... complete with background vocals.

'As I walk through this world... nothing can stop... the Duke of Geeks...'
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby atristain on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Limax wrote:
atristain wrote:
Duke of Geeks,
Duke, Duke, Duke, ...

Not me. :) I've got the original song going through my head... complete with background vocals.

'As I walk through this world... nothing can stop... the Duke of Geeks...'

Let's hope Scott Kurtz won't complain...
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Return to General Protection Fault