Foolhardy Wikipedia edit

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Foolhardy Wikipedia edit

Postby Ambi on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:56 pm

A few days ago, I've started to change the EGS Wikipedia page, first little stuff like moving secondary characters around and putting them in groups, then progressed to change and add some snippets of data about them...

Tonight I went and changed the head. The new one is larger than the previous one, but to put it together most of the old went out of the window, though I tried to preserve parts. Can some of you look at the EGS entry and make sure that I didn't edit vital stuff out and wrong stuff in?

Thanks!
Ce mobol nyumja cho julpmoais, quo cgyura sum hyumja u quui
umja mechot rucgec helobol, obom serja mebonvol luyum

ImageImageImageImageImage
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
And what's with all the carrots
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies, bunnies, it must be bunnies
Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:23 pm

The mention of 9/11 and the Iraq war could be construed as ambiguous (albeit unfortunately). I see what you're aiming at however; matching current events with comic events, such as a militant fanaticism in the real world with a similar fanaticism in EGS; it's just that I'm not sure if it's really an objective reference in regard to Wikipedia's (admittedly arbitrary) rules. But that's just my opinion, I don't think it's necessarily bad to leave it.

Personally, I like the change. There's been a need for a bit larger introduction. Good job! :)
Last edited by Tuitsuro on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Matty88 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I saw that earlier, I thought that the Goo should be moved to 'other dimention characters' instead of 'other strange characters' that was the only thing I saw though.
Waffles versus lesbians... there just isn't any contest!- Tedd
Matty88
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambi on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:The mention of 9/11 and the Iraq war could be construed as ambiguous (albeit unfortunately). I see what you're aiming at however; matching current events with comic events, such as a militant fanaticism in the real world with a similar fanaticism in EGS; it's just that I'm not sure if it's really an objective reference in regard to Wikipedia's (admittedly arbitrary) rules. But that's just my opinion, I don't think it's necessarily bad to leave it.
I didn't know how to put it... I originally just wanted to say EGS was set in a sort of present-day world, then realized that the real present is deeply influenced by 9/11 and Iraq, and then remembered that while EGS has neither, it still had dangerous fanaticism which was even religious in nature... I wish I could have put it better.

Personally, I like the change. There's been a need for a bit larger introduction. Good job! :)
Thanks a lot.

Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GA Jedi Knight on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:31 pm

I do believe that the part about the Iraq war and 9/11 needs to be edited out. It would be sufficient to simply say that the comic is similar to the present day world, but does not take real-world events into account. Once that is established, then you can mention that the EGS universe has its own set of fanatics (not just religious).
Eternal Legends - Chapter 8 (8/12/06) Read it or the owl will eat you!
*Apprentice of the Keeper of the Flowery Backgrounds* :D
This thread should be mandatory reading for all potential Jedi bunnies.
GA Jedi Knight
Keenspot Despot

Postby eternaljwh on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Recalls: "No Original Research"
eternaljwh
Keenspot Transcendent

Location: Utilizing cartoon physics to stay hanging one foot below the end of my rope.

Postby Joeldipops on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:36 am

I know that now it's been edited out, this is no longer relevant, but what evidence is there to say that there was no 9/11 in EGS Dimension? It's not like there have been any news reports or anything on-panel.
I'm really puzzled as to where you got that from,
How much XP do I get for being mentioned, by very vague reference, in an EGS news post?

Ex Host of The EGS/CRFH!!!/EOU Crossover Comic!

El Goonish Shive: Not too many series manage to succesfully pull off belonging to the Fantasy/Action/Sci-Fi/ Romance/Comedy/Drama Genre...EGS does.
Joeldipops
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby somercet on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:38 am

Ahh... Wikipedia.

Lemme ask something. Has Dan mentioned the Shoah? Stalin's planned famines and purges? The Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution? Francis Gary Powers and the U-2? Vietnam? The Iranian Hostage Crisis? Chechnya? Space Shuttle disasters? Earthquakes? Tsunamis? Floods?

No?

Elections? Trials? Wars?

No?

Then put down, "EGS is neither an editorial strip nor does it comment upon current events."

You know: a neutral point of view.
About me.
"Is that Alien v. Predator?"
"Nah, that's for wussies; I'm reading Bene Gesserit v. Jedi Order."
somercet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jake R on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 am

Whatever you do, make sure you keep a back-up. Apparently, wikipedia is kicking out webcomic pages all over the place.
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Not that again.

Postby Kizor on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:48 am

For the last several months, a few editors have been nominating webcomic articles that don't match verification and notability requirements for deletion. The problem is that verification is very hard to attain for an exclusive online art form that's about twelve years old, but this process has been slow and more or less limited to low-profile targets.

Over the last week or so, there's been a chain reaction: someone nominated Ugly Hill, so its author sent a horde of fanboys over to the deletion discussion, full of sound and fury and with no idea about the things they were supposed to be discussing, so they did such things as writing "this is my vote and you demand that you count it" under a great big red "THIS IS NOT A BALLOT" banner. This really got up the nose of a new editor, who nominated three others (two of which are surviving and the third one hardly deserves an article yet anyway), so now the word is that there's some sort of massive action against webcomics going on.

Anyway, as a prominent Keenspot comic, with print collections on Amazon etc., EGS is safe. If it somehow isn't we can still retrieve a copy even after it's deleted for migration to Comixpedia.
Kizor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambi on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 am

Umm Kizor - they have even deleted the article of Misfile, which is still listed under "OK comic entries" in the WikiProject Webcomics (now pointing into the void) and is most of the time in the top 10 of thewebcomiclist (on which there are over 8300 webcomics). If Misfile isn't notable, how many webcomics are left?

Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:26 am

It might be a good idea to go ahead and fork it and put it over on Comixpedia. Because Evil Inc. and Superosity (it still has a deletion notification, take a look! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superosity ) were deleted at one point in time in the past week or so. They also deleted the Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Cartoo ... oice_Award ) to facilitate deleting webcomics.

They've also deleted Semi-Pro Football in the past, and there still isn't a page that points to it, though you can try to find out information on it.

I'm afraid we're starting to see the ugly side of wikipedia.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby B.T. Isaac on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:30 am

The Dark Side. They have fallen to the dark side.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby eternaljwh on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:37 am

Ubersoft Inc ran a strip on theirs being deleted, ya might've caught in the newsbox.

Okay, now deleting the WCCA just seems mean.

Sneaky, underhanded suggestion [may or may not work]:

Catch and archive webcomic wikipedia entries before deletion.

Wait until this blows over, a few months down.

Put them back up.
eternaljwh
Keenspot Transcendent

Location: Utilizing cartoon physics to stay hanging one foot below the end of my rope.

Postby eternaljwh on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am

Ambi wrote:Umm Kizor - they have even deleted the article of Misfile, which is still listed under "OK comic entries" in the WikiProject Webcomics (now pointing into the void)
Actually, this seems like a better starting point, pointing out that they've deleted stuff that those in charge of the section thought important.
eternaljwh
Keenspot Transcendent

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:49 am

Well, I backed up the most recent one, if anyone else wants to it'd probably be a good idea.

Actually, the Webcomics deletion thing may be just the tip of the iceberg; Wikipedia's been mass deleting lots of articles in order to conserve their server space. There's been news articles flying about the 'net recently saying that they may even have to shut down in another 3-4 months due to financial problems, but that's neither here nor there with the EGS article.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambi on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 am

Tuitsuro wrote:Well, I backed up the most recent one, if anyone else wants to it'd probably be a good idea.

Actually, the Webcomics deletion thing may be just the tip of the iceberg; Wikipedia's been mass deleting lots of articles in order to conserve their server space. There's been news articles flying about the 'net recently saying that they may even have to shut down in another 3-4 months due to financial problems, but that's neither here nor there with the EGS article.

That seems to be a very valid reason... but the way cutbacks are done, with inconsistent decisions on notability without mentioning the crisis only leads to Wikipedia losing more sympathies.

I'm playing with the idea to split up the EGS article, into "El Goonish Shive" with reduced, more concentrated info about the main characters and events and "Cast and world of El Goonish Shive" with the remaining information from the current article. Would Wikipedia react to that with deletion of at least one of the then two articles, and would Comixpedia tolerate two articles for the same webcomic?

Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby cidhighwind767 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:11 am

They're deleting all of them and I still see useless entries in wikipedia.
The other day I actually saw one explaining the history of the "Pie Vs Cake" rivalship (Don't ask!).
cidhighwind767
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 am

Ambi wrote:That seems to be a very valid reason... but the way cutbacks are done, with inconsistent decisions on notability without mentioning the crisis only leads to Wikipedia losing more sympathies.

I'm playing with the idea to split up the EGS article, into "El Goonish Shive" with reduced, more concentrated info about the main characters and events and "Cast and world of El Goonish Shive" with the remaining information from the current article. Would Wikipedia react to that with deletion of at least one of the then two articles, and would Comixpedia tolerate two articles for the same webcomic?

That's just asking for easier deletion on Wikipedia.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby xyzzy_n on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:04 am

eternaljwh wrote:Sneaky, underhanded suggestion [may or may not work]:

Catch and archive webcomic wikipedia entries before deletion.

Wait until this blows over, a few months down.

Put them back up.
If your goal is to have the articles deleted without discussion and protected against reposting, it
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ambi on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:07 am

xyzzy_n wrote:
Ambi wrote:I'm playing with the idea to split up the EGS article, into "El Goonish Shive" with reduced, more concentrated info about the main characters and events and "Cast and world of El Goonish Shive" with the remaining information from the current article. Would Wikipedia react to that with deletion of at least one of the then two articles,
Yes, the second one would be deleted. For that matter, if the current article goes to AFD, the first thing I do will be to remove the lists of stuff that is only interesting to those who have already read the comic. Right now, the only thing in the article showing any kind of objective importance is that EGS is hosted on Keenspot and finding reliable secondary sources about EGS is rather more important than making sure every character is documented. (The article does not even have a

Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:11 am

I think if wikipedia continues along the road that it's going, it's going to edit itself into... what's the word that I'm looking for... nonrelevance.
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby xyzzy_n on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Ambi wrote:I was going to try to improve the EGS entry by a series of changes, attempting to bring it closer to Wikipedia rules. Splitting up the entry in a main entry and an expansion entry was meant to make the main entry much shorter and easier to document while keeping only information in the expansion entry that was part of the old article anyway.
I understand; however, in summary style, each detailed article must actually be a proper article. I do not see how that could work in this case (but you
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lomgren on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Some people believe that wikipedia should be about information. And I am one of them. Why shouldn't people want to go to wikipedia to learn about webcomics? And what happens when they don't find them there, because wikipedia editors delete them?
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Sqauto on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Didn't Dan say that the after party is part of HG?
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive