marlett.ttf

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby elmo on Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:40 am

can you do a search on your HD to see if you have multiple, incompatible copies of that
one font? delete all of them and then reload from the CD ?
elmo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sterling on Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:47 am

Coldacid:
More of a good reason to keep all your data on a seperate partition from your OS, so you can do a format and a clean reinstall. As much as I hate to admit it, there's some people (like artists) who really don't have a choice about using Microsoft software. Few of the programs they use have Free equivalents, or their hardware isn't supported. (Scanners are especially evil in this regard.)<P>Interface isn't as much of a problem anymore. KDE 2.x is at least as friendly as Win95 or 98, and far more functional and stable.<P>------------------
-Sterling
Present day.............
...........Present Time!
Sterling
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Taragas on Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:14 am

That file must be a true type font. If you simply tried to put the file into the fonts directory it won't work. To properly install such fonts, go into the control panel and select fonts. Then go into the file menu and select "Install new font." <P>Hope this helps.
Taragas
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nrg Spoon on Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:21 am

i can see why that font would cause a problem, seeing as it's the font that is used for the minimize/maximize/close buttons, scrollbars, and such.
Nrg Spoon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:08 am

Okay, here's the deal... I got this problem once before (about a year ago), and managed to fix it, and then completely forgot the solution. And it seems that a lot of people get this problem on their Windows machines, but no one knows how to fix it (heck, Microsoft has made it apparent they don't even know what error 0016 is).<P>I've discovered that the problem is not with marlett.ttf. Windows can't load *any* TrueType fonts, and it's because of a memory/protection error. Windows can't just say "Memory/protection error," no, it has to prevent you from loading your fonts. :-)<P>In my case, I moved my PCI cards around before doing The Reinstall on Friday (here's a tip: NEVER MOVE WORKING PCI CARDS). And now my sound card is conflicting with the PCI controller.<P>So, I moved things back to where they were, and I'm currently in the process of reinstalling everything *again*. I'll be finishing up tonight, in time to upload some comics. In the meantime, I had been mooching Internet access off my friends.<P>JOSH.<P>------------------
Josh Phillips - <A HREF="mailto:josh@avalonhigh.com">josh@avalonhigh.com</A>
Avalon - <A HREF="http://www.avalonhigh.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.avalonhigh.com</A>
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby elmo on Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:51 am

Josh<P>when it says starting windows 98, can you hit f8 select logged startup
and post that? I suspect you have a corrupted font. I just want to see what
errors it comes up with if any.
I'm also curious as to the exact error msg
elmo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elmo:
<B>Josh<P>when it says starting windows 98, can you hit f8 select logged startup
and post that? I suspect you have a corrupted font. I just want to see what
errors it comes up with if any.
I'm also curious as to the exact error msg</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've done the bootlog thing, but I don't have it with me. I can, however, post it from memory:<P><B>LoadFail = c:windowsfontsmarlett.ttf (load error 0016)</B><P>Something like that. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q127/9/70.asp">This Microsoft Knowledge Base article</A> describes it in gory detail.<P>And nobody will believe that the font itself is okay, but I have deleted/moved/replaced the font directly from the Win98 CD in various different ways. The font is not the problem (nor is any of the other TrueType fonts that generate the exact same error).<P>JOSH.<P>------------------
Avalon - <A HREF="http://www.avalonhigh.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.avalonhigh.com</A><p>[This message has been edited by Josh Phillips (edited 07-30-2001).]
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:07 am

More reason not to use any M$ products. Like there weren't enough reasons already.<P>Nothing I code would be so evil...
<P>------------------
coldacid (formerly The Evil Beaver) < <A HREF="mailto:coldacid_@hotmail.com">coldacid_@hotmail.com</A> >
<A HREF="http://meldstar.hobbiton.org/~coldacid/" TARGET=_blank>coldacid's icepit</A> | <A HREF="http://brettandmike.keenspace.com/" TARGET=_blank>Brett and Mike</A><P>Supreme commander of the AFM (Avalon Fan Militia)

Postby gwalla on Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sterling:
<B>As much as I hate to admit it, there's some people (like artists) who really don't have a choice about using Microsoft software. Few of the programs they use have Free equivalents, or their hardware isn't supported. (Scanners are especially evil in this regard.)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought a lot of artists still preferred Mac. BeOS is also small but growing in popularity among artists.<P>------------------
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."
- Tom Waits, "Step Right Up"
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby dacut on Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:45 am

<B>Originally posted by Josh Phillips:</B>
<I>In my case, I moved my PCI cards around before doing The Reinstall on Friday (here's a tip: NEVER MOVE WORKING PCI CARDS). And now my sound card is conflicting with the PCI controller.</I><P>Reset the PCI configuration data in the BIOS. This is a good idea any time you move/add/subtract cards from your computer.<P>The only time this could screw things up is if you have old non-PNP ISA cards. If this is the case, you'll have to configure some interrupts manually.
dacut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dacut:
<B><P>
Reset the PCI configuration data in the BIOS. This is a good idea any time you move/add/subtract cards from your computer.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Whoa, never thought of the BIOS settings. Thanks.<P>Although, I do have things working again. I was *mostly* right about the soundcard... it turns out that my SoundBlaster Live's SB16 emulation was causing the boot failure (since it was trying to use the same IRQ as the PCI controller). I got in through Safe Mode and disabled it... moving the cards around physically actually would have made no difference. And all I miss out on is sound support in old DOS games. :-)<P>JOSH.<P>------------------
Avalon - <A HREF="http://www.avalonhigh.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.avalonhigh.com</A><p>[This message has been edited by Josh Phillips (edited 08-01-2001).]
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darth Avatar on Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Phillips:
<B>And all I miss out on is sound support in old DOS games. :-)
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What??? No cheesy (yet high-grade cheese) sound effects for 688 Attack Sub???<P><P>------------------
<B>Darth Avatar</B><P><UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>"Try this. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings. Too sweet?"
<LI>"What is it?"
<LI>"I don't know - I found it in one of the labs..."
</UL>
Darth Avatar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rob on Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:15 am

Eh, the SB16 emulation sucks anyways. (For example, it doesn't work with U7 and some other games, and is screwed up in others.) I installed a cheapo $20 SB16 compatible card alongside my SBLive for that purpose, and I got an extra gameport in the process. Now, all Windows and Linux sound goes through my SBLive, and all DOS sound goes through my ES1869.
Rob
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Quasispace on Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Phillips:
<B>Although, I do have things working again. I was *mostly* right about the soundcard... it turns out that my SoundBlaster Live's SB16 emulation was causing the boot failure (since it was trying to use the same IRQ as the PCI controller). I got in through Safe Mode and disabled it... moving the cards around physically actually would have made no difference. And all I miss out on is sound support in old DOS games. :-)<P>JOSH.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So the environment setting in config.sys wasn't working? weird...
Quasispace
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sterling on Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gwalla:
<B> I thought a lot of artists still preferred Mac. BeOS is also small but growing in popularity among artists.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>BeOS is an option, although its got the same lack of good artist-type programs as Linux does. And while Mac OS X may qualify as a Real OS, you need expensive (and relatively fragile, especially the now-discontinued G4 cube) hardware to run it on.
<P>------------------
-Sterling
Present day.............
...........Present Time!
Sterling
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby saturn on Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:55 am

Speaking as an artist... I've never, ever, ever, never thought to myself "Damn, I wish I had a MAC to do this on"<P>I've used macs.. in fact there's a G4 with a 21" monitor sitting right beside me. Really, they're nothing special. Not anymore, anyway.<P>Regarding this problem Josh was having (whether it's since been resolved or not).... most motherboards have a PCI slot that has a shared IRQ. Usually slot 4 or 5. Try not to use that one.... I've always had problems that were fixed simply by moving the card to a different slot.<P>------------------

Daryl MacInnis
<A HREF="http://www.north-comic.com" TARGET=_blank>NoRTH</A> - A M/W/F updated comic strip.
saturn
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Avalon