[RP Discussion/Signup] Something about Hyperspace

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

What dost thou thinkest?

It's cool.
71%
Meh.
29%
DESTROY IT!
No votes

Total votes : 7

[RP Discussion/Signup] Something about Hyperspace

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:23 pm

This RP shall be referred to as "the Hyperspace RP" until someone comes up with a better name for it. Now. The background.

BACKGROUND:
The year is 2150, and things have changed a great deal since the early 21st century. The century that had begun with bright dreams for the future was shattered by a nuclear disaster in the year 2054 that left the Northern Hemisphere uninhabitable and the nations of the Southern Hemisphere reeling. After careful discussion, they realised that their only hope of survival was to band together into a single World Government, which first convened in 2100, at the beginning of the 22nd century. "This," proclaimed the first President of the Earth, Jack Nolan, in his inauguration speech on the 1st of January, 2100, outside Earth Parliament House in Sydney, Australia, "is the beginning not only of a new century, but a new era for the planet Earth and humanity."
He was right. Just twenty years later, scientists working in a Johannesburg laboratory announced an astonishing discovery. The Universe, they said, was not flat. It was the skin of a massive cosmic sphere, inside was complete nothingness. The scientists dubbed this nothingness the "Intravoid", though it was coloquially called "hyperspace".
"But," people cried, "how come none of our spaceships have ever penetrated the Intravoid? Surely travelling towards the interior would eventually take you there!"
The answer was simple. One cannot reach the Intravoid by travelling through the conventional four dimensions. Or, to quote Douglas Adams, one cannot travel "at right-angles to reality". It required a special method.
One that the scientists eventually came up with five years later. It involved cutting a hole in the fabric of space-time and sealing it with gates that could open and close. These gates were made of a special material called "Continuonium" which was actually partly made up of the fabric. When sets of gates were set in a line, one could move through the first gates, then after they closed, through the second and into hyperspace. However, one required a special vehicle to safely travel through hyperspace or else they would die in the void. To this end, the same scientists constructed the TRAnsport via INtravoid machine, or TRAIN. The TRAINS were also constructed of Continuonium, and could thus safely navigate the Intravoid, cutting normal travel time through regular space-time drastically.
In 2135, a massive space station was put in geostationary orbit above Sydney. This was Earth's Grand Central TRAIN Station, and all across the universe, at every human outpost, similar satellites were going up. This was the beginning of the era of the TRAIN as the standard for interstellar travel.
The gates had to be placed on space stations because if placed on a planet's surface there was a very slight chance that the gravity would muck up the process and send said planet spinning into the Intravoid. A very slight chance, true, but the scientists weren't willing to take any.
And so, we come to today. All across the universe, humans are travelling from star to star via hyperspace. From Earth to Alpha Centauri to Betelgeuse, TRAIN stations link outposts together. And who knows what the next day will bring?

SETTING: Various TRAIN stations scattered across the universe. Ultra-modern space stations with artificial gravity. The largest are similar to major airports.
That goat came to me of its own free will.

ImageImage

My buttons have imploded the universe 4 times.
Author of Do the Seconding!
(I take no credit for the Seconding itself; that belongs to ProfessorTomoe.)
Not to mention The Ed Bunny Mysteries!
Hey! I do MSTs! Check 'em out now, funk soul siblings!

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:49 pm

El Bumpo.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:47 pm

*waits for response*

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Berk on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:29 pm

What's the plot, and how's Ed Bunny going with his murder mystery?
Berk: Logically breaking the laws of logic.
Epic Bunny: 11910 Bunnypoints

Cool Ellen quotes:
Is that all you noticed while in my shirt?
Yo Piggy! Get away from my brother 'fore I make you squeal!
Ah Yes, The Wonder Twins... They do complicate matters don't they?
That crazed look could have meant any number of things!
I feel significantly less menacing.
Blasphemy!
Given that I'd be in the closet with another girl, I don't think I'd be doing a very good job.
I'm supposed to know how magic works?
I thought I was ready for man-on-Ellen loving.
Mom told me to wake you. She was unspecific as to how.
Excuse me, I need to find something heavy and blunt to kill you with.
You can make marbles even more shiny?
Well, that, or "Mind your own business, jackass!"
Magnet!
Dammit, she can thumb-type every word, but she can't bust out the emoticons?
Berk
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:53 pm

The plot I haven't entirely decided on yet. I'm figuring we just see how it goes, maybe throw in an evil conspiracy.

As for Ed, he's on his way to see Troy.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ciennas on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:24 pm

My question: Okay, you've got your FTL (or more accurately, BLS) Drive set up nicely, and I'm diggin' the Doug Adams quote, but what other technologies have advanced in the years human kind has been hobknobbing across the very stretchy fabric of space time, and can someone time travel with the BLS Drive?

I would love to hear about androids and artificial intelligences, for one thing. :)

Weapons technology takes a second place. this includes defensive implements.

And are there aliens, or just rampant Genome Mods?

Sounds intriguing otherwise.

...nuclear disaster in the year 2054 that left the Northern Hemisphere uninhabitable and the nations of the Southern Hemisphere reeling...

heh heh, whoops. I knew I shouldn't have tried charging my TF gun with a cell phone jack. :oops: :wink:
I told you. Humans only see what they're looking for.
Drayco wrote:I always make sense! Do not ask questions of my sensemaking!

Ennesby wrote:> About this life thing: > If I screw it up I can revert to a saved game, right?

Inventory- A stylish bag of Emuholding +8, containing all the standard fixins, and an emu from Squato. I should really cut some airholes for the poor guy.
Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In a room of Golden sunlight streaming and leather armchairs, Talking with my characters...

Postby Cameo on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:53 pm

I second the request regarding aliens... although if we haven't met any, odds are we just haven't found 'em yet (the odds of us being the only sentient life in the universe are, excuse the pun, astronomical).

What kind of modifications can be done to humans? Cybernetic augmentation and genetic engineering both seem likely as general fields, but what kinda stuff can you turn yourself into?
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:23 pm

One can not travel through time with a TRAIN, and nobody has yet figured out how to travel through time at all. If they could, then they might just go back and stop the Cataclysm from happening, now wouldn't they?

We have found alien life, but unfortunately not much of it is particularly bright.

Genetic engineering has progressed to the point where most genetic diseases have been wiped out. No super-soldiers yet.

People can and do have implants such as flexible wrist-panels for watching television and the like. Everybody has an ID chip under the nail of their right index finger which contains details about them and their money. Nobody uses cash anymore.

People were uncomfortable with the idea of androids, so most robots are just small roverbots that run around on caterpillar treads cleaning up garbage and the like, and hoverbots that use repulsion fields to levitate off the ground and clean windows and what-have-you.

Artificial intelligence has progressed somewhat, but has not yet reached human intelligence.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ciennas on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:55 pm

Okay, no super soldiers, Human class AI's or paradoxes that would dwestroy the whole universe.

Can we have powered armor and Mechs? a basic Idea for what you're looking for in a character sheet would be nice too.

Ennesby wrote:> About this life thing: > If I screw it up I can revert to a saved game, right?

Inventory- A stylish bag of Emuholding +8, containing all the standard fixins, and an emu from Squato. I should really cut some airholes for the poor guy.
Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In a room of Golden sunlight streaming and leather armchairs, Talking with my characters...

Postby Piebunny on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:06 pm

I suppose so, but they're experimental and only for military use.

As for the character sheet:

Name
Age (preferably somewhere in the teen years)
Planet of birth (Though the characters will be human, they may have been born on worlds other than Earth.)
Appearance
Personality
Background

That's the bare minimum.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ciennas on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Name: Sebastian
Planet of birth: I'm'a gonna call him a martian or an Alpha centaurian, whichever one he can get away with...

Appearance: Standard human, athletic build, blue/green eyes. He normally wears a green army jacket. he is almost ubiquitously followed around by Jack, his personal robo bin/ hacker system.

Jack is a blue Hovering robot that closely resembles a half log with two miniports/manipulators in front, and a large maneuvering 'jet' on the back. He weighs about 20 pounds without the 'jet' not counting objects he's holding. The jet has the power cells, as well as te accelerators- he can surge dash for short distances or glide forward at high speed, only costing a little extra energy. His personality (such as it is) is extremely childlike.

Personality: Intelligent, kind of detached. Loves sharing obscure jokes. collects pre-apocolypse earth junk, mostly books and old electronics equipment. has a problem with shinies and exremely noisy people.

Background: Meh, he's a human. He grew up on a TRAIN station,alhough he himself is technically a native of Mars, coming into heavy contact with all cultures across the terran sphere of influence. This has left him extremely cosmopolitan, and maybe just a little reclusive.

He spends much of his time tinkering with junk, accompanied by his assistant hover bot, Jack, who performs a useful function as a floating semi sentient backpack. He also performs a useful function as a brute force hack machine, which is what a majority of his containment capacity is filled with. one of the few cybermods in Sebastians possession is a transponder link to Jack. Any others are incidental, such as reading data streams hidden from the naked eye in the station.

As he spends a lot of time on a station, he's fairly comfortable with spacewalking- he just doesn't enjoy doing it very much. He reads a lot of books on old Terran culture and history, usually in one of the park sections. He is also quite familiar with the TRAIN facility that he's living on.

He works part time as a librarian, and wishes to run a shop that sells various interesting things, like those neat little wingy things.

Items in his possession: Several books, Jack, a green army jacket he got from the military surplus store, a space suit with autoseal and many piton line launchers in the gauntlet.

Side Note: Jack isn't the robots real name. It is Kameniichiwaru, although Sebastian is unsure of what that translates into, so he commonly refers to it as jack as a play on the phrase 'hackjack', a universal multitap. He doesn't often times use the hack function either, usually to try and recall data from old computer drives.
Last edited by Ciennas on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cameo on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:38 pm

What year is it now?

And it's nice to know that most of the genetic diseases are gone, but would it be possible to do something more along the lines of Ciennas' character (animal-ish parts without having any other animal features)? 'Cause if it is, I want wings and I really don't care whether they can actually get a human into the air or not!

...yes, I'm mildly obsessed with wings. How could you tell?
I continue to be female!
How devious.
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Mewtarthio on Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:30 pm

You just couldn't resist blowing up America, Europe, and Asia and establishing the One World Government HQ in Australia, could you?

...Is it even possible to have a geosynchronous orbit over Sydney? I thought it had to be around the equator.
Mewtarthio
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ciennas on Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:38 pm

Cameo wrote:...yes, I'm mildly obsessed with wings. How could you tell?

Just a guess ;)

Oh, I actually have some pictures of him, which also show his feet getting wierdly shaped as well.
maybe you should settle for miniature wings, more like temperature adjustors then anything. and they can act like a wind shield in freezing winds!
Only If Pie Bunny agrees to it, of course.

Since we're using super teleport stations, i'll assume that this will be free o join whenever?

And a cgaracter specific question! has mars been terraformed?

Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: [RP Discussion/Signup] Something about Hyperspace

Postby Piebunny on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:46 pm

To answer Cameo's question about what year it is:

The first post wrote:The year is 2150, and things have changed a great deal since the early 21st century.

I'd prefer no animal parts, genome technology hasn't advanced that far yet.

Mars has been terraformed, yes. Hell, it was the first planet to be terraformed.

Your character can have small detachable cybernetic wings which flap when the brain tells them to. Nifty for cosmetic effect, but otherwise pretty much useless.

Maybe you can't put it into geosynchronous orbit above Sydney NOW, but we're talking the future here.

This is a totally open-ended RP, yes. Join whenever.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cameo on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Piebunny wrote:Your character can have small detachable cybernetic wings which flap when the brain tells them to. Nifty for cosmetic effect, but otherwise pretty much useless.

Those would be shiny :D
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piebunny on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:09 pm

As shiny as you want them.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Vanigo on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:43 pm

Piebunny wrote:Maybe you can't put it into geosynchronous orbit above Sydney NOW, but we're talking the future here.
Uh, it's an inevitable consequence of orbital mechanics. You could concievably get something hovering over Sydney, but it wouldn't be orbiting. You'd need some sort of antigrav technology or something. Or maybe if you had another satellite at the same longitude and opposite lattitude, with some sort of force beam keeping them a constant distance; then you'd effectively have one very very tall satellite in geosynchronous orbit.
Sometimes, the only way to stay sane is to go a little mad.
Vanigo
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piebunny on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Fine. It's HOVERING above Sydney then, using the same repulsion technology as the hoverbots, just on a much larger scale.

It's still in space though.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ciennas on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

I have a name suggestion: Whatever station we all wind up running into each other on would be a fine name.

'the cosmic guppy' RP... Zonked Out. (Z.O.!)

Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Piebunny on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:28 pm

Well, see, different characters could be running into each other at several stations simultaneously.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ciennas on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:06 pm

I thought that would be a distinct possibility.

I'd like to ask for more chunks of history, but what you;ve got should be enough to get started on. Instead, I'd just like to ask how many governments there are now- we have a one world Earth, but it probably wouldn't reamin functioning too far outside of it's own sphere of influence, Although I'm sure all human governments are set up with the same rules and guidelines- just different administrations.

Ciennas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby catldr24 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:23 pm

Hey, could my character possibly have a cat tail? Just responsive to brain waves, not very useful, just for cosmetic purposes. ...please?
Drayco: ((Oh yeah, I forgot he's been repeatedly used as a weapon during the fight. ^^; ))
At least when I'm multitasking, I know where I can go to retrieve my mind.
My Inventory

Current form: So zetta slow!
catldr24
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piebunny on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Cat: Sure. Cheap cybernetic junk from Taiwan will do nicely. :P

Ciennas: There is one administration per continent. Antarctica remains unsettled.

ImageImage

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cameo on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:19 pm

How have attitudes towards homo/bisexuality changed in the last century and a half?

Have they changed much, for that matter? I mean, based on the amount of social change we've had in the last century - and that's without any really major disasters to change our path - I'm assuming they would. But I'm not entirely sure how.
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Mayhem