EGS Color reference topic: beta v1.3.1, 04 - 09 - 2006

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

EGS Color reference topic: beta v1.3.1, 04 - 09 - 2006

Postby Jake R on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Done because I couldn't find one. Date is DD / MM / YY, European standard, because it makes more sense than MM / DD / YY (European standard gets progressively bigger, instead of going smaller, then getting bigger).

I constantly see people ask for color references, especially in story comic topics, usually for colorizations of panels in the latest installments. The aim of this topic is to make those questions obsolete, by finding all official (Dan's) colorizations of EGS characters, be it in story comics, NP, fillers, or elsewhere (wallpapers?).

The references will be devided into categories; the most important ones (in general this means the ones where 4 or more people are shown in color) will be set aside in 'Groups!', if the colorization you're looking for isn't in there you should try looking in the category with the name / title of the character (or something similar) you are looking for. Categories might be devided into sub-groups, like 'Elliot -> Elliot, cat-Elliot, v5-Elliot (before he touched the diamond and became separated from Ellen), party-Elliot, Elliot-misc (fillers and the like which show him clearly different from what he normally looks like)'. On the bottom is a category called 'Special!', in which I put all the colorizations which I think are... well... special and should be looked at if that's exactly what you're looking for.

Some colorizations, like the first one in 'Special!', might not be listed in more than one category despite having multiple characters in them because they're just copy/paste or at least super-similar to others already listed; these will usually just be put into 'Special!'.

The references in each (sub-)category will be put in chronological order, so for the latest edition of colorschemes, you should look at the bottom of the category.

PLEASE NOTE: I JUST STARTED THIS TOPIC. THERE WILL BE MUCH TO ADD AFTER I POST THIS, AND I KNOW IT, BUT THERE IS ALSO A THING CALLED 'TAKING A BREAK'. IT IS NOT USEFUL TELLING ME SO UNTIL I ASK FOR MORE SUPPORT. Thanks in advance for not being an annoying little know-it-all-brat =)

(... this doesn't apply to errors. Please point those out if you find any. Thanks...)

CURRENTLY FINISHED:

- Story Comics: 2002

Collections! Look here first for general-use coloring!

A big collection of bits of pictures done by ProfessorTomoe, perfectly usable as color reference for most common characters!

Captain Z's collection of colors on various characters and outfits!

===============================================

Groups!

Elliot, Tedd, Sarah and Grace; disguising a B&W-addicted Grace!
Elliot, Sarah, Tedd, Grace, Squirrel Grace, and Grace as complete Squirrel; why and how Grace got to Tedd
Elliot, Sarah, Tedd and Grace; Grace transforms back to normal, Elliot picks up Sarah for martial arts class
Elliot, Sarah, Justin and Nanase; introductions of Justin and Nanase!
Elliot, Sarah, Justin, Nanase and Sensei Greg; Elliot vs Nanase, GO!
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Sarah, Justin and Sensei Greg); part 6
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Sarah, Sensei Greg, Lucky Bunny Bounty Show castmembers!); part 7
Elliot, Sarah, Tedd, Nanase, Justin, Squirrel Grace, Sensei Greg and Jeremy (+ Shady Ellen); 100 Comics!
Sarah, Tedd, Squirrel Grace and Mr. Verres; they are watching bad television while sleeping?
Elliot, Sarah, Tedd, Squirrel Grace, Nanase, Justin and Sensei Greg (+ Shady Ellen); sister BEGINS!
Ellen, Cat-Elliot, Sarah, Tedd and Grace; first colored version of the true Ellen!
Ellen, Tony, Sarah and Principal Verrückt; Hitler's rug makes kids cry
Sarah, Ellen, Panicked Schoolgirl, Omega Goo and Susan; I'll help as well! Please? Please???
Sarah, Grace, Sensei Greg, Omega Goo and Ellen (+ her beam!); if you can hit goo so hard it explodes, you're pretty insanely powerfull.
Sarah, Sensei Greg, Ellen and Omega Goo; frustrated beam-less Greg
Sarah, Grace, Sensei Greg, Ellen and Omega Goo; oh, and Susan yelling from off-panel
Sarah, Susan, Grace and Sensei Greg; wow, look at that bad-ass hair-in-the-wind effect!
Sarah, Susan, Grace and Sensei Greg; usual shirts fade in color as they get older, Sarah's got brighter!
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Nanase, Unusagi and Travis; I think I missed a bit, could you repeat it just once more?
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Nanase, Sensei Greg, Ellen, Omega Goo and Green Nanase-clone; Nanase mastered the art of whispering with mouth wide open
Ellen, Omega Goo, Pink / Green / Blue Nanase-clones; Nanase looks like she's got a disco inside of her...
Ellen, Omega Goo, Grace, Susan, Sensei Greg and Yellow / Blue / Red Nanase-clones; poor green...
Ellen, Omega Goo, Nanase and Red / Teal Nanase-clones; tearing out all those eyes must take like... an eternity or so
Susan (+ magical sword), Sensei Greg, Justin, Omega Goo, Nanase, Ellen and Grace (+ magical antennae); okay, just where the HELL did Sarah go?
Sarah, Grace (+ magical antennae and transformation glow), Susan, Justin, Sensei Greg, Nanase, Ellen and Omega Goo; ah, THERE she is! <3 Sarah...
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Sensei Greg, Ellen, Nanase, Omega Goo and SCJ Legion-form Grace (+ loads of funky transformation bits and lighting goodness!); introduction of the Legion Form!
Sarah, SCJ-form Grace, Sensei Greg, Justin, Nanase, Omega Goo and General Shade Tail; I find it funny that nearly 4 years after this comic, Omega Goo's statement 'that creature...' is still being discussed...
Ellen, Nanase, Justin, Sensei Greg, Susan and Omega Goo (+ red steam); ever noticed that whenever someone says 'try to stop me!', they ALWAYS mean the exact opposite?
Sarah, (Slime-covered) Venus Ellen, SCJ-form Grace, Sensei Greg, Nanase, Justin, Susan and Goo Cell #0012 (... I think); I simply love Sarah's remark in this one...

Elliot

Elliot, 2002
Elliot, Tedd and the Stereotypical German Scientist in front of Moperville North
Elliot and the Goo; Pointy Fork Attack!
Elliot, Tedd and the Goo; Lighter + Goo = Boom!
Elliot and Tedd; apologies and the vicious bubble-pipe!
Elliot vs Nanase; part 1
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Red / Green / Blue Nanase-clones); part 2
Elliot vs Nanase; part 3
Elliot vs Nanase; part 4
Elliot vs Nanase (+Sensei Greg); part 5
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Sarah, Sensei Greg, Lucky Bunny Bounty Show castmembers!); part 7
Elliot and Sarah; sometimes you just have to have an ice cream sundae.
Elliot and (Female) Tedd; you can’t really blame Tedd for getting angry at that comment, can you?
Elliot, Ellen and Tedd; guess who's back, back again? (Also; the weirdest colorization so far... only Tedd has somewhat normal colors ^_^)
Elliot (+ ... a flashlight?); "Bad duplicate! Bad!"
Elliot and Tedd; jailhouse rock! *Dances*
Elliot, Tedd, Ellen and Phill!; actually, it's the women in my family that never dare asking anything to strangers...
Elliot and Tedd; although Elliot is an awful actor, I wonder how he managed to turn green like that
Elliot, Cat-Elliot and Tedd; first of hundreds of reasons to love Elliot.

Cat-Elliot
Cat-Elliot, Tedd and Cow Grace (+ a random cow sillouette); second of hundreds of reasons to love Elliot, "Stat!"
Cat-Elliot and Tedd; "Holy Crap, I think I see Mexico!"
Cat-Elliot, Tedd and Hedge; Hedge's 'not-introduction'

V5-Elliot (Pre-Ellen)
V5-Elliot, Tedd and Sarah; the first view we ever got at what Ellen was going to look like
V5-Elliot, Tedd and Sarah; getting ready for school
V5-Elliot and Tedd (+ Tony, a teacher, and some extra's!); a super-pathetic cover story

Tedd

Tedd, 2002
Elliot, Tedd and the Stereotypical German Scientist; in front of Moperville North
Tedd, Grace and Mr. Verres; the introductions of Grace and Mr. Verres
Elliot and Tedd; apologies and the vicious bubble-pipe!
Grace and Tedd; MULTI-FORM GRACE!
Tedd, Grace -> Jere-Grace; Grace is sooooo bad-ass! =o
Tedd, Sarah and Grace; sitting on the couch after watching topless Grace
Elliot and (Female) Tedd; you can’t really blame Tedd for getting angry at that comment, can you?
V5-Elliot, Tedd and Sarah; the first view we ever got at what Ellen was going to look like
V5-Elliot and Tedd (+ Tony, a teacher, and some extra's!); a super-pathetic cover story
Elliot, Ellen and Tedd; guess who's back, back again? (Also; the weirdest colorization so far... only Tedd has somewhat normal colors ^_^)
Elliot and Tedd; jailhouse rock! *Dances*
Elliot, Tedd, Ellen and Phill!; actually, it's the women in my family that never dare asking anything to strangers...
Elliot and Tedd; although Elliot is an awful actor, I wonder how he managed to turn green like that
Cat-Elliot, Tedd and Cow Grace (+ a random cow sillouette); second of hundreds of reasons to love Elliot, "Stat!"
Cat-Elliot and Tedd; "Holy Crap, I think I see Mexico!"
Cat Grace, Sensei Greg and Tedd; the 'scary' Tedd movie-file

Female Tedd
Female Tedd; posing in front of the mirror... if you ask me, (s)he looks kinda hot in that first panel...

Sarah

Sarah, Grace and the Mugger; Grace goes Squirrel first time!
Elliot and Sarah; sometimes you just have to have an ice cream sundae.
Ellen and Sarah; waking up around mid-day is never a good sign
Ellen and Sarah; the amount of times I wished someone had come after me when I had ran off without telling anybody why...
Ellen and Sarah; 'This is a tricky situation, I've only got myself to blame...'
Ellen, Sarah and Omega Goo; tackling the one you were running away from a second ago... moodshifts much?
Sarah, Ellen and Omega Goo; 4 oversized mouths and 9 misformed eyes, imagine his dentist and optician bills...
Sarah, Ellen and Omega Goo; 'Proceeding with a prepared set of curse words to imitate anger. Damn, Crap, F...'
Sarah, Grace and Sensei Greg; 'What the hell just oozed into the gym??'

Grace

Grace, 2002
Grace and Ellen; time for a little fun!
Cat Grace, Grace and Sensei Greg; Superman Grace swears like a sailor
Grace, Sensei Greg and Liz (+ some extra students); very highly skilled at not giving a crap, making her one of the most awesome EGS characters ever
Susan, Nanase and Grace (holding a cute squirrel plushie!); I agree with the statement in the title

Squirrel Grace
Sarah, Squirrel Grace and the Mugger; Grace goes Squirrel first time!
Mr. Verres and Squirrel Grace; Lycantrope project explanation

Cat Grace
Cat Grace and Sensei Greg (+ the Horny Skull!); yeah Sensei Greg, you're just a beast, and stop hurting Grace like that!
Cat Grace, Sensei Greg and Jeremy; awww, look at how cutely Jeremy tries to comfort Grace!

Jere-Grace

Grace in other forms

Grace as complete Squirrel
Elliot, Sarah, Tedd, Grace, Squirrel Grace, and Grace as complete Squirrel; why and how Grace got to Tedd

Ellen

Ellen, 2002
Ellen, Cat-Elliot, Sarah, Tedd and Grace; first colored version of the true Ellen!
Grace and Ellen; time for a little fun!
Ellen and Liz (+ some random MNHS girls!); awww, no hot lesbian action inside the girls dressing room? ='(
Ellen and the Science Teacher; "I ain't staying for this crap, you hear me?"
Ellen, Demonic Duck, and 'Female Teacher 2'; probably the only time PMS was chosen as first choice by any girl, ever.
Ellen and Tony; power-fisting ahead!
Ellen and Sarah; waking up around mid-day is never a good sign
Ellen and Sarah; the amount of times I wished someone had come after me when I had ran off without telling anybody why...
Ellen and Sarah; 'This is a tricky situation, I've only got myself to blame...'
Ellen, Sarah and Omega Goo; tackling the one you were running away from a second ago... moodshifts much?
Sarah, Ellen and Omega Goo; 4 oversized mouths and 9 misformed eyes, imagine his dentist and optician bills...
Sarah, Ellen and Omega Goo; 'Proceeding with a prepared set of curse words to imitate anger. Damn, Crap, F...'
Ellen and Omega Goo; Ellen : 1, Omega Goo : 0
Ellen and Omega Goo; ready... aim... FIRE!
Ellen and Omega Goo; logic has nothing to with EGS!
Ellen, Susan and Omega Goo; well, at least she got what she wanted... a do-over where she could use attacks with pointless Japanese names

Venus Ellen
(Slime-Covered) Venus Ellen and (... bits of...) Omega Goo; OMGWTFBBQ SHE-HULK!
Goo Cell #0012, (Slime-Covered) Venus Ellen and Lord Tedd; he looks angry, doesn't he?

Nanase

Elliot vs Nanase; part 1
Elliot vs Nanase; part 2
Elliot vs Nanase; part 3
Elliot vs Nanase; part 4
Susan, Nanase and Grace (holding a cute squirrel plushie!); I agree with the statement in the title
Ellen and (... bits of...) Omega Goo; OMGWTFBBQ SHE-HULK!

Justin

Susan

Susan, V5-Elliot and Sarah; Susan's first colored appearance!
Ellen, Susan and Omega Goo; well, at least she got what she wanted... a do-over where she could use attacks with pointless Japanese names

Mr. Verres, master of the art of hiding aliens

Mr. Verres and Squirrel Grace; Lycantrope project explanation

Dr. Germahn, the Stereotypical German Scientist

Elliot, Tedd and the Stereotypical German Scientist; in front of Moperville North

Sensei Greg, Martial Arts Anime-addict

Cat Grace and Sensei Greg (+ the Horny Skull!); yeah Sensei Greg, you're just a beast, and stop hurting Grace like that!
Cat Grace, Sensei Greg and Jeremy; awww, look at how cutely Jeremy tries to comfort Grace!
Grace, Sensei Greg and Liz (+ some extra students); very highly skilled at not giving a crap, making her one of the most awesome EGS characters ever

Hedge, bad-ass owl attractor

Jeremy, the creature nature never intended

Elliot, Sarah, Tedd, Nanase, Justin, Squirrel Grace, Sensei Greg, Jeremy (+ Shady Ellen); 100 Comics!

The Demonic Duck

Ellen, Demonic Duck, and 'Female Teacher 2'; probably the only time PMS was chosen as first choice by any girl, ever.

The Goo, schoolproject gone wrong

The First Goo
Elliot and the Goo; Pointy Fork Attack!

Omega Goo
Ellen and Omega Goo; Ellen : 1, Omega Goo : 0
Ellen and Omega Goo; ready... aim... FIRE!
Ellen and Omega Goo; logic has nothing to with EGS!
(Slime-Covered) Venus Ellen and (... bits of...) Omega Goo; OMGWTFBBQ SHE-HULK!

Goo Cell #0012 (?)
Goo Cell #0012, (Slime-Covered) Venus Ellen and Lord Tedd; he looks angry, doesn't he?

Lord Tedd

Tony
Ellen and Tony; power-fisting ahead!

Special! (Non-frequent / first-time appearances in bold)

Grace, Mr. Verres, and... a whole lot of colorizations most of which are WAY too small to identify! I believe I can see Sarah and Amanda in there...
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Red / Green / Blue Nanase-clones); part 2
Elliot vs Nanase (+ Sarah, Sensei Greg, Lucky Bunny Bounty Show castmembers Unusagi and Travis!); part 7
V5-Elliot and Tedd (+ Tony, 'Female Teacher 1', and some extra's!); a super-pathetic cover story
V5-Elliot, Matt and Rat!; "I'll take my chances!"
Dewitchery Werewolf; the Wizard's Journal
Ellen and Liz (+ some random MNHS girls!); awww, no hot lesbian action inside the girls dressing room? ='(
Ellen and the Science Teacher; "I ain't staying for this crap, you hear me?"
Ellen, Liz, Tony and Tony's Friend!; 'Za' is a Harvard-worthy rebuttal fo' sho'
Ellen, Tony, Sarah and Principal Verrückt; Hitler's rug makes kids cry
Sarah, Ellen, Panicked Schoolgirl, Omega Goo and Susan; I'll help as well! Please? Please???
Sarah, Grace, Sensei Greg, Omega Goo and Ellen (+ her beam!); if you can hit goo so hard it explodes, you're pretty insanely powerfull.
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Nanase, Unusagi and Travis; I think I missed a bit, could you repeat it just once more?
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Nanase, Sensei Greg, Ellen, Omega Goo and Green Nanase-clone; Nanase mastered the art of whispering with mouth wide open
Ellen, Omega Goo, Pink / Green / Blue Nanase-clones; Nanase looks like she's got a disco inside of her...
Ellen, Omega Goo, Grace, Susan, Sensei Greg and Yellow / Blue / Red Nanase-clones; poor green...
Ellen, Omega Goo, Nanase and Red / Teal Nanase-clones; tearing out all those eyes must take like... an eternity or so
Susan (+ magical sword), Sensei Greg, Justin, Omega Goo, Nanase, Ellen and Grace (+ magical antennae); okay, just where the HELL did Sarah go?
Sarah, Grace (+ magical antennae and transformation glow), Susan, Justin, Sensei Greg, Nanase, Ellen and Omega Goo; ah, THERE she is! <3 Sarah...
Sarah, Susan, Justin, Sensei Greg, Ellen, Nanase, Omega Goo and SCJ Legion-form Grace (+ loads of funky transformation bits and lighting goodness!); introduction of the Legion Form!
Sarah, SCJ-form Grace, Sensei Greg, Justin, Nanase, Omega Goo and General Shade Tail; I find it funny that nearly 4 years after this comic, Omega Goo's statement 'that creature...' is still being discussed...
Ellen, Nanase, Justin, Sensei Greg, Susan and Omega Goo (+ red steam); ever noticed that whenever someone says 'try to stop me!', they ALWAYS mean the exact opposite?
Sarah, (Slime-covered) Venus Ellen, SCJ-form Grace, Sensei Greg, Nanase, Justin, Susan and Goo Cell #0012 (... I think); I simply love Sarah's remark in this one...
Science Teacher and Principal Verrückt; if I were that teacher, I'd have kicked him from behind and say a very lively mural did it

Noteworthy for looking up more info;

Character statistics for every character ever to appear in EGS, including links to a search engine to find the EGS comics with those characters in them. Not limited to colored comics, still very useful. Also for me for looking up the names of characters I want to describe here.
Last edited by Jake R on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 am, edited 11 times in total.
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:50 pm

[placeholder]This is a placeholder![/placeholder]
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:50 pm

So, you people think I need another placeholder?

[edit:] Btw, without realising it I stopped EXACTLY at the end of EGS Volume 1! Next comic to do is http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020902.html, which is the first one in Volume 2. I think this is really funny, mostly because I never actually READ either volume completely, just the stuff that wasn't already online (I like the pretty colored versions better =P) so I didn't even know this until I checked how far along in the volumes I was.

Please note that I have only done story comics (and everything that, according to the archives, belongs in this category) so far. No NP, no fillers, or anything else.

And comments are now also welcome as long as you don't start about 'you haven't done ... yet!'. Nor do I need help at this moment; I feel like doing this on my own, it makes me feel useful for a change. [/edit]
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Future plans;

- Adding more references. Duh. (After I'm done with Story, I'll start with NP and the fillers).
- Color-coding the main characters for easy searching.
- Adding more dates and arc-names to devide the bigger lists (Tedd and Elliot in 2002 in particular; I'm not even done with 2002 yet and the list is getting huge already).
- Looking for a bit of colored fan-art which can be used as secundary color reference.
- Getting more people to look at this. ;_;
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dayantis on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm

OOh, nice colour reference. That must've taken a while...
Dayantis
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Dayantis wrote:OOh, nice colour reference. That must've taken a while...

A VISITOR! =D

Yes. Hours. Stopped counting at 3. Please continue visiting every once in a while, I shall be updating this until I'm either done, or have given up. Chances are devided 50/50, more/less respectively if enough people tell me to continue!
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 pm

would anyone be interested in me doing an 'EGS swatch' with all the current characters colour schemes shown? coz I've got one for my own stuff and I can probably whip one up if there's enough interest (god knows there are enough people doing their own colourizations to warrant it)
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:52 pm

There's been some work done in that direction earlier. I put together a reference image that's available here:

http://www.captainz.net/professortomoe/EGSColorKey01.png (warning - very large)

CaptainZ has also done some swatches. Contact him for details.
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:34 am

That's the kind of replies I was looking for! That collection is definately going to be linked. However, it doesn't show everything people might want to know (for instance, there's only 1 mono-color 'Goo' on there), so for the sake of making this complete I'll just finish the list anyway.
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mythos on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:15 am

I've put together swatches on my own. Little things in Photoshop, to help with the colorings, but yeah, I based it on the colored pics. Mostly from the later stuff.
Reader of It's Walky! since May 17, 2002
Member of the IW! community since around October / November 2002
Survivor of the Great Keenspot Forum Crash (Febuary 2003)
Father of IW! Fanfiction
Fanfics in EGS:
Fantasmas en la Nieve
Christmas in the Snow
The Happy Pure Fics - Overheard Again
Angels
The Fate of Hearts
Mythos
Keenspot Despot

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 am

'Tis excellent work. I have bookmarked it for easy access in future.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:17 am

Jake R wrote:That's the kind of replies I was looking for! That collection is definately going to be linked. However, it doesn't show everything people might want to know (for instance, there's only 1 mono-color 'Goo' on there), so for the sake of making this complete I'll just finish the list anyway.

Yep, the png is definitely not complete. I keep subdirectories with all of the colorized versions in my image directory, just as a precaution.

Please let everyone know when you're done!
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:26 am

ProfessorTomoe wrote:
Jake R wrote:That's the kind of replies I was looking for! That collection is definately going to be linked. However, it doesn't show everything people might want to know (for instance, there's only 1 mono-color 'Goo' on there), so for the sake of making this complete I'll just finish the list anyway.

Yep, the png is definitely not complete. I keep subdirectories with all of the colorized versions in my image directory, just as a precaution.

Please let everyone know when you're done!

Don't worry, I most certainly will. In the meantime, I've got a question to ask people experienced with coloring EGS panels;

I noticed that most of you keep Dan's shading, but just add color to the greyscale pictures. If I try putting a 'semi-transparant' ('multiply' or 'overlay' mode or the like) colored layer over the original comics (in GIMP), whatever I do, the grey from the original will make the final result dull. Do you all simply replace the original colors and only keep the outlines, or is there a way to keep using the original pic for the shading without making the colors dull? Please let me know. Posting it here might be the best option for people interested in coloring will most likely look here anyway, and it will prevent me from double-posting as soon as I've got beta v1.2 of this topic done =P
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:32 am

If the gray is light enough, it's not a problem. If it's darker, like on hair, I have to use a different layer type to get the color I want, usually.

Also, there is the option of getting rid of all the gray on the original image, making it black and white with only the lines being black, and then coloring using layers. It's not one I usually take.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:00 am

I use a separate layer for each colour, and choose the layer mode depending on how dark or light the colour is.

For light colours, I find "Multiply" usually works best.

For dark colours, it pays to experiment a bit. Usually "Overlay" or "Soft Light" works best, but it's worth experimenting to find the best result.

Sometimes adjusting the layer's "opacity" setting can help, too.

(I use Photoshop Elements as my program of choice, but most programs are fairly similar in this regard.)
Image Image Image Image

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Captain Z on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:04 am

ProfessorTomoe wrote:There's been some work done in that direction earlier. I put together a reference image that's available here:

http://www.captainz.net/professortomoe/EGSColorKey01.png (warning - very large)

CaptainZ has also done some swatches. Contact him for details.

Yup: here's the link

I started work on it several months ago, but unfortunetly I haven't done much of anything over last semester and the summer. Regardless, I was able to catalog most of the colors used on many of the common outfits worn by the main characters.
Image Image - Bunny with 6,595 XP

More EGS Avatars than you can shake a stick at! - (Last Updated 1/21/06, total 421 avatars)
Have an EGS avatar you'd like me to color? Private Message me, and I'll see what I can do, or learn how to do it yourself!

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God, Futurama
"So you see, my lad, the true moral of the Battle of Trenton is if you party to hardy, George Washington will kick your ass. Any questions?" - Mr. Verres, El Goonish Shive
[blog] - but you don't have to read that...
Captain Z
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 am

Here's how I've been handling the greyscale shading lately, in a step-by-step format. I'll use panel six of this installment as a reference. All color values will be in RGB format. I use PSP 8, so you may need to find equivalent tools/commands in your program for this to make sense.

NOTE: before you do anything else (except for possibly erasing background bits you aren't going to keep), promote the image to 24-bit color.

Now, begin by checking the RGB values of the image sections that require color. Break the image down into sections according to the base colors you intend to use (flesh tone, hair color (purple here), clothing, mouth, etc.).

If a section has a noticable instance of pure white (255/255/255), then don't change anything. For example, fTedd's skin in the above installment has large areas of pure white, so for those I make no adjustments. If a section does not have a significant area of pure white, you'll need to make some adjustments. fTedd's hair is a good example of this - it has multiple grey shades, but no visible white.

Start by selecting a single section you wish to color on the base/background layer (don't create other layers until later). If you have a magic wand tool, you can start with that, but you may need to hand-select (or hand-deselect) things at times. Make sure you stay inside the boundaries. Over time, you'll be able to tell by eye how close to the boundaries you can come, but for starters try to select as many pixels as you can up to the pure black (0/0/0) outline.

It's a good idea to save at this point, and perhaps save the selection to the alpha channel as well (just for good measure, in case you need an emergency recovery file).

Once your section is selected, adjust the RGB values so that the lightest pixels are converted to pure white. In PSP 8, you can do this by using the Adjust | Brightness and Contrast | Levels dialog, with the channel set to RGB. This lets you define a minimum and maximum input level (with an adjustable median), which you can then map against a desired output scale. For fTedd's hair, the lightest color is 120/120/120, so I plug 120 into the maximum input level number (all three values will be mapped identically). I leave the minimum set to zero and the median set at the default. I map the output to a scale of 0-255, which means that anything with a value of 120 will be changed to 255, and so on down the scale. It's a purely mathematical function, but it's a lot faster than replacing things by hand.

Your end result will look like this:

Note that I did not select any of the hair that was already pure black (behind the neck, shoulders, etc.). You don't need to color this, so don't waste time selecting it. Just pick out the grey values.

Once you've adjusted one section, move on to the next. (BTW, There aren't any other sections that need adjusting in the example - just the hair.) When you've finished adjusting all of the sections, save a copy as a baseline reference and then start applying colors to layers on top of the background (not to the background itself). Set the layers to a Multiply blend setting at first - that's usually the only setting you'll need for colorizing people, but be ready to improvise if things don't look right.

You can apply this technique to backgrounds (i.e., non-people) as well, but most of the time it's not required - there's usually some white to be found somewhere in the background. Just keep in mind that the technique is available if you ever do need it.

I hope I haven't left out anything (curse bedtime and going past it for the third straight day), and I hope at least some of this helps. If anything doesn't make sense (possible - bedtime, remember?), please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks!

ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am

I more meant an actual swatch image that you could open in photoshop and then just use as an eyedropper template for drag-and-drop colouring, rather than a 'reference'...
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 am

thereisnosaurus wrote:I more meant an actual swatch image that you could open in photoshop and then just use as an eyedropper template for drag-and-drop colouring, rather than a 'reference'...

Anything new is always helpful when it comes to this stuff! Lay into it! :D

ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jake R on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:50 pm

thereisnosaurus wrote:I more meant an actual swatch image that you could open in photoshop and then just use as an eyedropper template for drag-and-drop colouring, rather than a 'reference'...

If anybody posts one / links me to one, I'll include it in the list ^_^

Many thanks to ProfessorTomoe for the very nice tutorial, and Captain Z for the digital color list.

Furthermore; beta v1.2 is done up! Story comics up till (and including) this comic have been added and some minor additions / tweaks have been made to that which was already there, now I will move away from my computer and go to bed early for my back is KILLING ME.

Thanks for the continued support and shown interest, if my back-ache disappears somewhat I will continue tomorrow!
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby OzLionHeart on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:01 am

With that reference page, you have two options that I can suggest:

1) Use the "web colour" values - copy and paste the text into the appropriate box in the colour selection dialogue box;

2) Take a screenshot (or several, depending on how much of the page your monitor will accommodate), and open that in Photoshop.
Image Image Image Image

OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Steven Jester on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:56 am

ummm..... Kaoli's color's can be found here
Inventory! One Noob Pack containing...
Chocolate-Chip Cookie
Dead fish.
A six-pack of MountianDew
One Squirrel Teddy.
A TF Gun! -- I can have fun with this! ^_^
A Quantum Singularity from FaweFC44!
My Kidney....
TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On
A Roasting Spiquet and portable fireplace courtesy of my Quantum Singularity. (I can't vouch for the permance of this item or any item that spews from the QS)

Official Provider of the Champagne for Major Storyline Celebrations.

Official Ellen/Nanase Shipper

Unofficial Justin/Susan Shipper

July 21, 2007 - The Saga concludes... Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Steven Jester
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:45 am

Steven Jester wrote:ummm..... Kaoli's color's can be found here

Even though that's the official color, some bunnies seem to have a problem with it. They prefer a shade that's a bit more pastel pink. Several versions of this have been incorporated into fanart and avatars. Not sure how (or if) this should affect any color key project.

I personally got yelled at when I used the official color. Go figure. :-?

ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Steven Jester on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:48 am

I don't know why.... I like the color..... and I like that colorization! :D
Inventory! One Noob Pack containing...
Chocolate-Chip Cookie
Dead fish.
A six-pack of MountianDew
One Squirrel Teddy.
A TF Gun! -- I can have fun with this! ^_^
A Quantum Singularity from FaweFC44!
My Kidney....
TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On
A Roasting Spiquet and portable fireplace courtesy of my Quantum Singularity. (I can't vouch for the permance of this item or any item that spews from the QS)

Official Provider of the Champagne for Major Storyline Celebrations.

Official Ellen/Nanase Shipper

Unofficial Justin/Susan Shipper

July 21, 2007 - The Saga concludes... Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Steven Jester
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jake R on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:00 am

Thing is... it's PINK. And with that I mean... REALLY PINK. As gay-supportive as most of the people here are, most are still (or due to the aforementioned fact) not really positive about a pink that bright. It buuuurns!

Anyway; yeah, I knew where to find that. More interesting for me is the mentioned fact that Nioi can change her appearance, including color. Since the difference between her and Kaoli is, if I'm correct, limited to just the difference in appearance (and not the magic which caused it, because it was described as her magic, not the magic of some sort of item)... Kaoli should be able to change her color to a less bright form of pink as well.

So... unless contradicted by one of Dan's occasional posts (or in a comic somewhere), I don't think there's anything wrong with coloring her with a somewhat different color. Or something else entirely. Like bright green with blue spots. But I digress...

Still got pain in my back, but I will now continue with writing beta v1.3! Expect to see at least... 20 or so comics (probably loads more) added to the list in an hour or two... three... dinner break... 4, 5, 6... dunno. Before nightfall (...tomorrow)?
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive