Baked donuts?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby steveha on Sun May 06, 2001 9:17 am

Okay, I'm being pedantic. Sorry.<P>But I don't think you can bake doughnuts; aren't they always fried?<P>I figure Dierdre was probably just being loose with her terminology. (<B>She's</B> not pedantic!) So she probably is going to fry them.<P>Unless this is an <I>I Love Lucy</I> sort of thing and she is about to be fired for the wacky antics that ensue when she tries to sell baked doughnuts and the customers freak out...<P>Josh always keeps us guessing, so it could happen!
steveha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nrg Spoon on Sun May 06, 2001 9:42 am

mmm.... zoo doughnuts...<P>Yes... I know it's 200, that's how I saw it the first time.. but you have to admit, the only way you KNOW they aren't Z's is because Josh put lines through his.
Nrg Spoon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Strangeone on Sun May 06, 2001 9:45 am

No, doughnuts are baked. All pastries in general are, unless I'm mistaken.
Strangeone
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby steveha on Sun May 06, 2001 10:21 am

Trust me: doughnuts aren't a pastry, and they are deep fried. After deep frying, the excess grease is drained off and the doughnuts are glazed, frosted, powdered with sugar, or whatever.<P>There are recipes for baked "doughnuts"... mainly for people like me who try not to eat deep-fried food. But I'll bet a quarter that Tim Horton's doesn't sell any!<P>I did a quick web search. Here is one of many pages I found with doughnut recipes. You will see the word "fry" many times on this page but you will search in vain for the word "bake".
<A HREF="http://www.quick-easy-recipes.com/doughnut_recipes.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.quick-easy-recipes.com/doughnut_recipes.html</A>
steveha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Quasispace on Sun May 06, 2001 10:46 am

You can bake doughnuts. But they won't taste the same.<P>If you look in most Donnut Shops (the smaller ones, not the bigger ones) you'll generally notice the big deepfryer filled with oil. Most larger establishments keep the thing in the back.<P>Though it's more than likely that people in the biz, are probably going to say bake rather than fry, simply to avoid the stigma associated with deep fat frying...<p>[This message has been edited by Quasispace (edited 05-06-2001).]
Quasispace
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wildmartin on Mon May 07, 2001 4:32 am

Most of the yeast doughnuts I've seen are fried but the cake doughnuts are baked.
Wildmartin
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Mon May 07, 2001 6:18 am

Raised donuts (and their kin, such as jelly donuts, donut holes, and apple "fritters") are always fried...you can't make them any other way. Cake donuts are generally baked, I think. Not sure about buttermilk bars, or those oddly-shaped cake-like donuts.<P>------------------
"If it doesn't have humor, it's deficient. Anyone can make beauty."
- Clayton G. Bailey, "Clayton Bailey's Mad Science" in Rhino Records' <I>Brain in a Book</I>
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby lostfactor on Mon May 07, 2001 6:21 am

I'm not eating them, regardless.
-Eliot "Eliot "Eliot "Eliot Lefebvre" Lefebvre" Lefebvre" Lefebvre<P>------------------
We're only given a little time in our lives to waste. Make the most of it.
<A HREF="http://www.lostfactor.net" TARGET=_blank>Electronic Transcendence Productions</A>
And if that one doesn't work, try the <A HREF="http://members.fortunecity.com/lostfactor" TARGET=_blank>mirror site.</A>
lostfactor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby aardvark on Mon May 07, 2001 8:52 am

Oddly (since they're <I>all</I> fried), in some parts of the US a distinction is made between "doughnuts" and "fried cakes"; the former are puffier (aka "raised" in the style taken to extremes by Krispy Kreme).<P>------------------
aardvark
"Sloppy thinking gets worse over time" - Jenny Holzer
aardvark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Mon May 07, 2001 9:09 am

I've seen a few places that has both 'baked' and 'normal' donuts. Baked don't taste as good , in my opinion.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sparkling Melrose Pool on Mon May 07, 2001 9:17 am

Well, speaking as someone who works as a baker at Tim Hortons, I can say that absolutely all of the doughnuts there are fried, cake and yeast.<P>What I find more troubling about DD's line is that she clearly works as a cashier / front-counter person, and they don't actually make any doughnuts - that's the baker's job. Maybe it's just a *really* small shop that only has one person working there at night. Maybe I'm just a pedant...<P>------------------
Ooh... Pancake stuff...<p>[This message has been edited by Sparkling Melrose Pool (edited 05-07-2001).]
Sparkling Melrose Pool
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Avalon