Azerisii Fan artyness

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Azerisii Fan artyness

Postby Azerisii on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Taddaa! I have a banner!

*blink blink blink*

I am practicing my drawing so that I can doodle a comic of my own (as there is no way I am getting actors to act out the scripts I have written as they are harder to direct than doodles are ^_^ plus you dont have to pay doodles and doodles dont have egos... unless the artist gives them egos, which makes you wonder whether or not the artist has a whole basket of apples or if they are missing a few... uhm. What was I talking about?)

Oh yeah, these are my El Goonish Shive related doodles all kepted here. There is a link to this thread in my sig, and another to the one I just started in the Candi forum ^_^ xx comments are always read and appreciated xx Risi Sky Alani

Table of Contents
Dan Shive Rockout, first fanart
Early attempt at Ellen
Grace (An experiment with colouring)
A reworking of "Dan Shive Rockout"
The First Justin Fanart
Justin and My Cat Avatar
Nanase Fairy Doll
Tutorial on how to draw hands
Ninteen Twenties Susan
Pounce (Not fanart as such)
Cartoon Crossover

So here is my first fanarty thing which I decided to show to you. This is what I think Dan would look like had he attended the party (and if I had picked out his clothes). Hes singing a rawk song of some description, and since I felt like having a ninties relapse with reguard to the clothing, yes he IS wearing jeans and a skirt.

PS its not that good > . < sorry!

Comments, critiques and tips please. And yes I am aware that I cant draw hands.
Last edited by Azerisii on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kraggi on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:03 pm

It's awsome, except for the hands, which you mentioned. I'm no great judge of art, but I like it a lot! I hope to see more of your work!

And is it wrong the first thing I read in the title was fart?
Kraggi
Keenspot Deity

Postby Azerisii on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:08 pm

ooosh, that is worrying (about the fart thing)

Though Fan Flatulance threads generally involve comments about spelling and rants about how its not fair their suggestion didnt get into the plot ^_^ so I am hoping that this Art... does not become Fart

ooo wordplay is fun

xx thankies for the commentingness so soon after posting xx
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MOOMANiBE on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 pm

I like it! Sure it may have flaws, but it's very expressive, and that's what matters most in the end. ^_^
MOOMANiBE
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Hee! :) Very nice indeed.
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm

MOOMANiBE wrote:I like it! Sure it may have flaws, but it's very expressive, and that's what matters most in the end. ^_^
Seconded! It's very lively, and aside from the way it looks like it was drawn in MS Paint (pixelated lines) it's pretty nice! Show us more! :)
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenshisama on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 pm

I love the style! This is one where if you are happy with it as an writer, I would be happy with it as a reader. I could see myself reading a comic drawn in that style very easily.
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Bored? contribute to the FAQ or go comment on my fanart!
The jokes aren't that bad, I promise!
Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 am

Squirrels in bell bottoms. The mind boggles. :wink:
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MolTARE on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:18 am

Weep wrote:
MOOMANiBE wrote:I like it! Sure it may have flaws, but it's very expressive, and that's what matters most in the end. ^_^
Seconded! It's very lively, and aside from the way it looks like it was drawn in MS Paint (pixelated lines) it's pretty nice! Show us more! :)

Clearly it is Benday dot-art, in the style of the great Lichtenstein.

:D
MolTARE
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Azerisii on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:41 am

He he, it looks like it was drawn in paint cos it was drawn in paint. Same with my avatar. I used to draw by mouse but my dad decided to save me from insanity by getting me a graphics tablet for Christmas. Problem is the instruction manual for the fancy program I got with it for drawing is written in Engrish.

Similar to English, but juuuust different enough to confuse you...

Incidentally if anyone could tell me how to use Serif PhotoPlus I will love you forever and have your babies ^_^
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jake R on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:45 am

Azerisii wrote:He he, it looks like it was drawn in paint cos it was drawn in paint. Same with my avatar. I used to draw by mouse but my dad decided to save me from insanity by getting me a graphics tablet for Christmas. Problem is the instruction manual for the fancy program I got with it for drawing is written in Engrish.

Similar to English, but juuuust different enough to confuse you...

Incidentally if anyone could tell me how to use Serif PhotoPlus I will love you forever and have your babies ^_^

... I can't remember ever hearing of that program before. If it's really that tough finding help for that problem, you might wanna try something with a bigger userbase, like the free picture editing program GIMP... just google it for a link. No I haven't used it myself but apparently it's similar to Photoshop (except for the price that is... Photoshop is insanely expensive ><).
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Azerisii on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:14 am

Uhm, thankies for the kind suggestion... but I would rather not google the word "gimp"

Not ever again... > . < the last time I looked for that program my jaw dropped through the floor and I had trouble getting it loose from the joists.
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jake R on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:23 am

Azerisii wrote:Uhm, thankies for the kind suggestion... but I would rather not google the word "gimp"

Not ever again... > . < the last time I looked for that program my jaw dropped through the floor and I had trouble getting it loose from the joists.

You need to learn how to properly google! =P

Here you go:
http://www.gimp.org/
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Azerisii on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 am

OO coolies I will take a looksee.

Uhm, I just finished this and it took me about 45 minutes-ish. I still dont know how to stop it from pixelleting, but I have seen proof that it can be done.

Damn Engrish!

Noway near as good as MOOMANiBE's art tho > . <
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jake R on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 am

Lookin' good =)

And don't compare yourselves with those better than you, except when trying to find out how to become better: practice makes perfect.
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby xyzzy_n on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:54 am

Azerisii wrote:Uhm, I just finished this and it took me about 45 minutes-ish.
I think that
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Jake R on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:24 am

xyzzy_n wrote:
Azerisii wrote:Uhm, I just finished this and it took me about 45 minutes-ish.
I think that
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bignutter on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:00 am

Azerisii wrote:ooosh, that is worrying (about the fart thing)

Though Fan Flatulance threads generally involve comments about spelling and rants about how its not fair their suggestion didnt get into the plot ^_^ so I am hoping that this Art... does not become Fart.

Image Both Ant "Neil Pumpcannon" McPartlin and Neil Buchanan have managed to combine Flatulance and Art in a series of Shorts called F'art Attack. Let me tell you it was funny. Great Parody of Neil Buchanan's own show Art Attack. (Ant with Dec is currently starring in: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466664/ )

If I was you try using the custom pallette option for your Gifs That should reduce the patterns and your colour possibly custom pallette option on the Gif, or a higher qualitly Jpeg.
Started as a Bunny in 23 Aug 04... It's taken me over a year to join.

The story behind that avatar.

Beaware I do art, as much as I fart... (Note to self: Don't produce flatulant Rhymes..)

AC:WW, Mario Kart DS/Wii, StarFox DS, FF3, Pokémon D/P/PBR, and Brawl - PM me for a FC swap.
bignutter
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:06 am

^^ nice pics...I'd say you may be a far cry from Moom's style, but you're definitely a step above mine..^^; link in my sig if you want to know what mine is like...>.> I haven't updated much yet, so there's hardly much to see. ><
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby Azerisii on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:15 am

This is proof I am a fast learner:

AN hour and fourty five minutes worth of doodling, smoothing, and colouring ^_^ Once I figured out how it worked it was like christmas!! So many colours and all of them for me!

She origionally had legs and high heels, but I was unsure about how to use the colouring tools when I drew the blue line version, so I scribbled them out. Wish I hadn't now though...

If I was you try using the custom pallette option for your Gifs That should reduce the patterns and your colour possibly custom pallette option on the Gif, or a higher qualitly Jpeg.

Uhm... I deliberately did it that way *shifty eyes* honest, I thought it made it look slightly better than plain flat shades of grey ^_^

*makes note of tip and curses self for forgetting*

Anyway: what I meant to say is that the program used doesn't matter when it comes to saying if a drawing is awesome or not; it's the skills.

Oo... troo datt...

^^ nice pics...I'd say you may be a far cry from Moom's style, but you're definitely a step above mine..^^;

I am completely self taught on account that the Art teacher in school hated me and kept sending me out of lessons for like, nothing.

Oosh I am diggin on those drawings, darlen, muy coolies!

---

Edit: Cos I dont like double posting... erm. Several drawings later and I have redone the image at the start of this thread. Hope Dan likes it! xx

The lines are smoother, and its now got colour!

I still cant draw landscapes for the life of me, though, and I am also having trouble making the doodle look three dimensional. I was thinking maybe with a ten percent opaque black and a ten percent white to do the highlights and lowlights... what do you think?
Azerisii
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby unlucky_days on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Azerisii wrote:This is proof I am a fast learner:

I actually made an annoying 'that's sooo cute" noise when I saw this! And that's a good thing! (cause you can't hear me)
not sure if the fur color is completely accurate, but mebbe when you picked out her clothes you blitzed her with a hair color change. :evilgrin:

annnd, cause I'm in the mood to avatar blitz Image
Just what would we be missing from the land of poorly scripted melodramas? Recycled plot lines, tiresome self-realizations. You throw in the occasional downward spiral of a dear friend, and maybe baby here and a death there and all you really got is a recipe for some soul-sucking, mind-numbing, ennui on wheels. And I for one could skip it.
unlucky_days
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CK on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:23 pm

Given your program, you've done an impressive job. They don't remind me much of EGS, though; they seem to be more cartoonish that Dan's creations. Of course, I wouldn't want exact replicas or anything.
CK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby common svensson on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:36 pm

Whoa, you're a quick little bunny artist, aren't you? Your lines are indeed very dynamic, something that a cartoony drawing can always benefit from - I like that! Especially your cleaned-up & coloured version of dan. As for Ellen and Grace, well, there isn't that much similarity to the original characters, but anyway, it all lies in the artist's interpretation :D. You definitely have talent!!
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:52 pm

Yes, I agree... your artwork is good. I also agree that it isn't quite like Dan's, which is also a good thing. I'm still trying to get my drawing abilities up to what I consider to be good, but coursework is keeping me away from it.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:46 pm

o O wait, that was just a few hours!! >< daang, and my art borders close to yours in some cases....>.> anyways, well done on the improvements. I look forward to seeing more. As for the shading and highlights, I'd go with those just to see how it turns out....remember, experiment first, THEN show off.^^
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive