EGS FAQ

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

EGS FAQ

Postby Tenshisama on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:41 pm

In response to one of my silly questions about EGS, someone remarked how it had been asked and answered many times over, and that there should really be a FAQ for this sort of thing.

And I thought.....yes....there should!

I haven't been around long enough to know what the "Frequently asked questions" are, so I'm counting on you all to post any questions that seem to pop up over and over again, along with the answers (or a link to a topic with the answer) and I'll incorporate them into this first post.

1) How exactly are Tedd and Nanase related?

Tedd's mother and Nanase's mother are sisters. There is a rival theory, although far less subscribed too, that Tedd's mother is Nanase's father's sister. Dan's input on the matter (thank you, 10.0.0.1, for digging up the link)

2) If you shoot a male with a F5 ray, then try to turn them into a cat...what happens?

Transformation effects don't stack. They overwrite. So no matter how many times zapped, the final result would be as if the person had been zapped once, by the final ray. Only Grace can compound forms.

3) What is the greyscale picture in the background of this comic?

It's Ellen crying. Very sad. Call it foreshadowing.

4) When did X event happen in relation to Y event?

Here's the timeline I plotted:
Day 1 (Friday): Goo created, fought for the first time. I assume this happens on a Friday, becasue the newspaper article on it is in the Saturday paper.
Day 2 (Saturday): Sarah, Tedd and Elliot go to the movies. Enter Grace.
Day 3 (Sunday): Elliot and Sarah meet Grace. Sarah and Grace go clothes shopping.
Day 4 (Monday): Elliot Takes Sarah to Martial arts class. Much awkwardness.
Day 5 (Tuesday): Tedd V5's Elliot. Elliot and Sarah officially start going out...I believe.
Day 6 (Wednesday): Elliot goes to School as Ellen.
Elliot and Tedd travel to PTTAOLUTASF.Ellen Created.
Day 7 (Thursday): The goo fight, and the resolution of "Sister"
Day 9 (Saturday):Justin and Nanase at the Comic shop
Day 14 (Thursday):Lady Mysterious
Day 22 (Friday): Ellen and Elliot's groups night out.
Day 23=>24 (Saturday=>Sunday morning): Tam eh Tedd and Painted black (Busy day!)
Day 27 (Wednesday): School Uniforms Announced.
Day 28 (Thursday): Susan and Nanase conspire.
Day 29 (Friday): Uniform Pickup.
Day 30 (Saturday): Grace's Birthday Party.
Day 31 (Sunday) Aftershocks from Grace's Birthday Party.
Day 32 (Monday) Grace and Ellen's first day of school (and The Susan Pants Rebellion).

There are certain things that don't have a specific time frame (such as canon EGS:NP strips) that you could reasonably throw in at several points in the timeline. (Credit goes to Nimelennar for digging up the links)

5)
JONJONAUG wrote:If Ellen's middle name is Danielle, is Elliot's middle name Daniel?

DarkShive wrote:Did I at some point reveal Ellen's middle name without revealing Elliot's? I can't recall off the top of my head... in any case, Elliot's middle name is Daniel, and Ellen's is Danielle, so you were correct.
Last edited by Tenshisama on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Bored? contribute to the FAQ or go comment on my fanart!
The jokes aren't that bad, I promise!
Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Deiwos on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:57 pm

Hehehe, what an excellent idea!... and if it wasn't 2:47Am I might have been able to offer an idea or two for your FAQ ^-^;;;
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 am

I would like to nominate this as a sticky thread, or an inclusion in the archive thread.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby Wereon on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:43 am

Is the Nanase-Tedd relation canon? I see to remember that it was ambiguous as to which of the parents were related exactly...
Comme je c
Wereon
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Tenshisama on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:50 am

Wereon wrote:Is the Nanase-Tedd relation canon? I see to remember that it was ambiguous as to which of the parents were related exactly...

Dan stated specifically on the forums that the relation was on Tedd's mother's side. From previous forum discussions, it seems the people here are about 90/10 in favor of Nanase's mom being the relation, as opposed to her father.
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Deiwos on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:51 am

I seem to agree, athough I should also state that I have no idea why that is. *Curses his memory*
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:15 am

Dan's answer is canon as far as I am concerned.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nimelennar on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:17 am

Dan answered what side of Tedd's family the relation was on, not what side of Nanase's family. It could be either. I think, though, from the context of that post, it seems like it's on Nanase's mother's side, too.
<Nimelennar> No, it's not Nime, it's Nim.
ImageImageImageImage
Umichot ceamjic seerol yum Uryuomoco.
DDCC banner shrunk by request.
Nimelennar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tychomonger on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:47 am

It's easily provable that Nanase and Tedd's mothers are sisters.

In the comic, Mr. Verres refers to Nanase's mother as his sister in-law.

In the aforementionred post, Dan stated that the relation was on Tedd's mother's side.

So the only way for Nanase's mother to me Mr. Verres's sister in-law is if his ex-wife was her sister.
I am a Dragon Quest fanboy.
Tychomonger
Keenspot Despot

Location: Beside myself (astral projection or emotion? you decide!)

Postby Tenshisama on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:52 am

Meh. I added some room for specualtion on the first answer. Reading back over some of the previous discussions on the issue, I couldn't find where someone definitively proved it one way or another. While the term "sister in law" makes a whole lot more sense as "Wife's sister" as opposed to "Wife's brother's wife", there still may be someone out there who applies the term that way.

On a side note, It is becoming increasingly difficult to resist putting joke questions in there! It flies completely against my personality! Stuff like:

6) Namingway: Would you like to change your name?

For the hundreth time, NO, dammit!

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AlmostReadytoFly on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:16 am

I meant to post this a while ago, but was waiting until I got my book back (I lent it to a friend) and could find the comic more easily.

6)What's the secret in the last panel of this comic?

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, it's a picture of Ellen.

7)Where, exactly?
I'm not sure.
Image Image
There's no 't' in ARF, just tea.
'When you visit Raldore and Erasmo, you should ALWAYS bring your G-M tube, kids!'
AlmostReadytoFly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Weep on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:23 am

AlmostReadytoFly wrote:7)Where, exactly?
I'm not sure.
:lol: Yeah, same here.

Wait a sec...is that it right below the ellipsis following the "Um"?
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitehawk on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:45 am

I think that the pictures in that panel are a bunch of stuff from his previous strip mixed in with some test panels of all the new characters of this strip, including people we haven't seen yet.

Just a guess.
nitehawk
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: A quantum mechanic, I'm everywere! Homebase Chino Calif.

Postby Arkantim on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:36 pm

I always thought that the secret in that panel was the question mark in the upper right quadrent.
<delurk>
Javascript.makePost();
</delurk>

Newbie pack:
1 cookie wrapped in shiny plastic, 1 dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, 1 squirrel teddy, TF gun, and a demonic duck plushie (Lomgren's special addition)
Arkantim
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tenshisama on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Maybe it's one of those magic eye things, where if you look past the picture, you see a demonic duck of some sort.... :o

One way or another, I'll add that to the FAQ if we can come up with some sort of definitive answer. I'd hate to put up a "we think it's this, but we don't really know" answer.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AlmostReadytoFly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:49 am

Someone suggested putting this in, and I think this thread is a good idea, so:
Code: Select all
[quote="JONJONAUG"]If Ellen's middle name is Danielle, is Elliot's middle name Daniel?[/quote]
[quote="DarkShive"]Did I at some point reveal Ellen's middle name without revealing Elliot's? I can't recall off the top of my head... in any case, Elliot's middle name is Daniel, and Ellen's is Danielle, so you were correct.[/quote]
Image Image
There's no 't' in ARF, just tea.
'When you visit Raldore and Erasmo, you should ALWAYS bring your G-M tube, kids!'
AlmostReadytoFly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to El Goonish Shive