FanMusic - Grace's Theme: Finished for Dan's B-day

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

FanMusic - Grace's Theme: Finished for Dan's B-day

Postby Cyril on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Forgive me for being as pretentious as to make a theme for good old Grace, but the inspiration received from this comic is too great. With that said!

Here is my take on a theme for Grace.

EDIT: Links usually help my cause.

EDIT EDIT: All the updates will be shown here. Next up... Is up to you!

Grace's Theme
Last edited by Cyril on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chessrook44 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:04 pm

It is indeed a very nice piece of music.

Personally, I can hear it more as the theme for a peaceful little town in one of those old RPGs like Zelda, but that might just be the gamer inside me talking.
Chessrook44
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Estelendur on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:18 pm

I sort of agree. Sounds like town music, sort of.
My newbie pack: a cookie, a dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, squirrel teddy, TF gun, some brain glue and a rusty hacksaw.

My gender=none of your business. Use whichever pronoun you like when referring to me.

Image Image
As of Aug. 10, I have 1100 exp
Estelendur
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:22 pm

AUUGH! What did I do?

Darn, I know it sounds like a town theme, but hey, it's about the purpose of the music rather than the... a whatever.

Thanks alot for the responses.

EDIT: Reflecting on this... I think that this isn't very good character theme. Though a good theme and pretty good musically, it doesn't do Grace Justice... so... I dunno. If you think it should stay as Grace's theme, you have until tomorrow to tell me so. I will make a better one, more suited to the quality.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:46 pm

Very cool. Sure, it's a little towny, but the towns are always peacefull, which fits Grace quite well. You may want to make a piece for "Squirel Grace" that's more active (read as: hyper). But in any case, I can't not like a piece with a major flute part. *gives Cyril one of his special wooden flutes*
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:55 pm

Nice, it does sound like game music. (But I like those calm instrumental songs so that is a compliment.)
It has a calm whimsical tune that works well as a theme for Grace.
It is a very nice piece, the perfect BGM for Grace the Goddess
Oddly WMP (version 8 ) reads the length wrong though, it reports it as 1:14 rather than ~3:40.
I will download another copy tomorrow and see if it has the same problem.
Last edited by 10.0.0.1 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sanchay on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Chessrook44 wrote:Personally, I can hear it more as the theme for a peaceful little town in one of those old RPGs like Zelda, but that might just be the gamer inside me talking.

I think you would be very good at the music aspect of the game Windzarko's working on. Check out that thread, and maybe suggest doing the midis for it. I think they would like to have you on the team. ^_^
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:49 pm

Indeed. Though Windzarko seems to have been to busy to post in the forums recently... and I agree with what has been said. It does sound like town music in an RPG :).
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Cyril on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:45 am

Well... maybe you're right. I think I will keep this now that I have had a good nights sleep. So, until someone presents a hugely strong arguement otherwise (or Dan says other wise ^_^) I will keep this as Grace's err... 'normal' theme, in a very loose sense of that word.

I have looked into Windzarko's thing, it seems that they have Joan already... but well. I dunno.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:01 am

I'm getting very strong Final Fantasy vibes from this. That's not a bad thing, however. Final Fantasy music is the third best game music, in my opinion. It comes after Castlevania and F-Zero, but before Megaman and Zelda.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:21 am

Nice work, but sadly I can't use it to make a Music Video (something I've wanted to do with a song by a fellow Bunny).

10.0.0.1 wrote:Oddly WMP (version 8 ) reads the length wrong though, it reports it as 1:14 rather than ~3:40.
I will download another copy tomorrow and see if it has the same problem.

I didn't see that problem (on version 10). So it must be the older software.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Cyril on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 am

Well, I have had that problem as well, you should get Winamp.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:29 am

I will just live with it, WMP 8 serves me well. I was just wondering if it was just a corrupt copy.
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:42 am

Ok, I've listened to it a lot more, and I can give a more thourogh annalisis of it. Yes, still best described as town music, or music for a non-combat area, which I still say suits Grace. However, it ain't for a boring human town. There is a defenite sense of humor or whimsy in it. I might imagine hearing this type of music in a non-combat grassy field with little critters running around, or a town of animals or fairies, or something along those lines.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sanchay on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:16 pm

To me it sounds most like dancing. Or a gala of some sort.
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Weep on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Nice! I was listening to it for a while today.

Yeah, it doesn't quite seem like a "theme" for Grace - maybe because I usually think of themes as having a somewhat catchier and more defined main melody. (Woah, I'm having d
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cyril on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Hmm...
Dang. I will work on this. I think I have an idea that will still push it to 3 minutes but make it a bit catchier. I always have this problem!
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xiroth on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:55 pm

Very nice piece :) Just for the sake of my own curiousity/research, what program did you use to arrange this?

As for the content of it, I'd agree that it probably could use a little work to represent Grace. While the lightness and happiness does suit her usually, there's...well, more to her. The combination of a tragic past and a natural tendency to happiness is one of the interesting things about Grace, and ignoring that doesn't really do her justice. Still, you make enjoyable music, even if it needs a little work to properly be a theme :)
Xiroth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:58 pm

10.0.0.1 wrote:I will just live with it, WMP 8 serves me well. I was just wondering if it was just a corrupt copy.

How long have you been using it?
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Cyril on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Xiroth wrote:Very nice piece :) Just for the sake of my own curiousity/research, what program did you use to arrange this?

I used Cakewalk to compose the MIDI. I used Synthfont to get the sounds. I mixed it in Cakewalk as well.

Yeah, I know, I am now making a better one... (man that sounds so toolish) It's gonna be a bit more... all encompassing.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:26 pm

Sqauto wrote:
10.0.0.1 wrote:I will just live with it, WMP 8 serves me well. I was just wondering if it was just a corrupt copy.

Since this XP was installed on this PC, my system runs XP home SP0 with no updates at all.
This install is several years old and I have never had any real trouble out of it that was not at least partially my fault.
I deal with my own security and consider the "updates" useless and annoying handcuffs at best, but that is a different topic.

Keenspot Deity

Postby Sqauto on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:46 pm

10.0.0.1 wrote:
Sqauto wrote:

Since this XP was installed on this PC, my system runs XP home SP0 with no updates at all.
This install is several years old and I have never had any real trouble out of it that was not at least partially my fault.
I deal with my own security and consider the "updates" useless and annoying handcuffs at best, but that is a different topic.

Me thinks this is a time you need to bite the bullet, and get an upgrade.

Hell, you only need to get programs like WMP 10 (which is much esailer to use then version 9 (or older). But I know about your problem (running a x64 bit XP, with some programs that haven't even worked out when they will write the software for it, long after it was given to them).
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:41 pm

Sqauto wrote:
10.0.0.1 wrote:
Sqauto wrote:

Hell, you only need to get programs like WMP 10 (which is much esailer to use then version 9 (or older). But I know about your problem (running a x64 bit XP, with some programs that haven't even worked out when they will write the software for it, long after it was given to them).

Well I have seen updates kill way to many PCs for me to risk mine with them (I was on a support forum during SP1 and 2.)
updating would provide me no benefit and bring significant risk, so I have nothing to gain and everything to loose.
Not to mention that on dial up it would take an eternity, and I have better uses of my bandwidth.
What I have works well and changing a working system is an invitation for trouble IMHO.
I simply chose to take care of my own security, and no program I have needs SP1 or 2.

Keenspot Deity

Postby Cyril on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Well... Here is the MIDI for you.

http://www.acelie.com/cyril/temp/Grace.mid
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 pm

10.0.0.1 wrote:
Sqauto wrote:
10.0.0.1 wrote:
Sqauto wrote:

Well I have seen updates kill way to many PCs for me to risk mine with them (I was on a support forum during SP1 and 2.)
updating would provide me no benefit and bring significant risk, so I have nothing to gain and everything to loose.
Not to mention that on dial up it would take an eternity, and I have better uses of my bandwidth.
What I have works well and changing a working system is an invitation for trouble IMHO.
I simply chose to take care of my own security, and no program I have needs SP1 or 2.

Ah, thats better info (I wasn't thinking that). But like I said, you may need to get version 10 one of these days (just leave the download on over night if on Dial-up :lol: ).

As to being on Dial-up, I say nothing :evilgrin: .
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive