Weep's artstuff. (New: EGS music video preview, page 11)

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Weep's artstuff. (New: EGS music video preview, page 11)

Postby Weep on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Surprise surprise, this thread's meant to be a home for my ...stuff. What's stuff? Well, originally it was fanstuff - avatars, banners, colored comics, drawings, music videos...pretty much anything EGS-related that I make. Now I'm diversifying a bit, and it'll also be a general artsy stuff thread. :P Comments welcome.

Knowing me, new stuff will come relatively infrequently, and likely in bursts. I have a number of larger projects in mind, too, though I hesitate to say much about them since whenever I announce something I'm working on, it tends to jinx my actually completing it... :shifty:

If you wish to use any of the available avatars or banners, please download them and host them using your own webspace, or an image hosting service such as Photobucket.com or ImageShack.

[b]
Last edited by Weep on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 am, edited 23 times in total.
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby KiKadet on Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:21 pm

Those are some really good colorings. Any special technique you'd be willing to share? Especially the "XP omg" one... that's nice.
KiKadet
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:49 pm

those are quite good, now you need to do more, heh.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Weep on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:49 am

Thanks for the compliments! :D

KiKadet wrote:Those are some really good colorings. Any special technique you'd be willing to share? Especially the "XP omg" one... that's nice.
That one was particularly complicated, since the original was screentoned instead of shaded, and becuse I wanted to do more than a color-fill colorization. The description of how I did it is pretty long and possibly confusing, especially without illustrations...I'm going to PM what I'd written up to you, since I don't necessarily think it's as clear as I'd want it to be to post as a public walkthrough...

If anyone else really wants to know, let me know. I might make a better writeup later on, though.

Lomgren wrote:those are quite good, now you need to do more, heh.
Heh, yeah...I probably will, once I'm moved back into my dorm room. At least, I want to...
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Re: Weep's Fanstuff (now featuring: avatars and banners!)

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:02 pm

Weep wrote:Image
While reading 10.0.0.1's Susan avatar thread I had an idea for how I'd go about making a pixel-art version of that image - this is the result. (Method, in Photoshop: resize, sharpen, threshold, clean up with a 1-pixel pencil tool, paintbucket for filling in color.)

Looks good, I like your take on that same base image as my bored Susan avatar. You defiantly put more detail on the books.
I will be taking another pass at it myself, have a bit more experience I am certain it will look better.
I am also planning to make it look like it has moving hands, but that is going to take some work with the layers and frame timing.
Once the fairy alarm clock is updated (and a possible hammering) I plan to start on Susan from a clean slate.
Once the updates (before update time tonight) are explained the possible hammering will be clear, but feel free to guess in the mean time.
Weep wrote: Yes, I wrote the text one pixel at a time... :roll:

hmm... :o wow :o ...I can think of no other words on that one so, hmm... :o wow :o

Weep wrote:I have an idea for an EGS "music video" which would seriously be the Saddest Thing Ever. Gotta live up to my username, after all... (Ironically, it's not meant to be the word "weep", it's a short version of my nickname.) It would be based on a concept that will most likely not happen in the comic, but hasn't been definitely resolved yet - do you guys think there would be a problem with this? Dan's expressed some reluctance regarding fanstuff that addresses possible future story points, I believe. Also, I'd expect to get comments like, "how could you make something so horrible?"... :roll:

unless Dan has a problem with it go for it, any bunnies that do not like it can simply not watch.

Weep wrote: Knowing me, new stuff will come relatively infrequently

I highly doubt that, creating these thing is addictive. I was planning only one avatar and nothing else, so much for that plan :lol:
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Hey, That's some nicee work.
What is that font used for all the bunny-banners? I wanted to try my hand at making some of this "fanart" stuff. :wink:
Current Avatar: Drayco, new and improved. Thanks Sanchay!
And it's a link too! Adawwable.
And random links:
This, my friends, is why I use a Mac.
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Lomgren on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:14 pm

The font used for the original Bunny banners is Georgia Italic.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:30 pm

Lomgren wrote:The font used for the original Bunny banners is Georgia Italic.
Cool, I was sort of wandering myself. A rather basic font fits broke bunny but I want something a little better for my next one.
But I an improved bored Susan, including a 16 layer animation (Susan's watch), to do first.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Re: Weep's Fanstuff (now featuring: avatars and banners!)

Postby Weep on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:03 pm

10.0.0.1 wrote:going to take some work with the layers and frame timing.
Once the fairy alarm clock is updated (and a possible hammering) I plan to start on Susan from a clean slate.
Once the updates (before update time tonight) are explained the possible hammering will be clear, but feel free to guess in the mean time.
I'll look forward to them. As for guessing? Hm, something to do with the latest filler? [edit] I'd swear I had written more to this post, something along the lines of, "Ah, you'd already updated. Ah, heh. :evilgrin:"

Lomgren wrote:The font used for the original Bunny banners is Georgia Italic.
Is that what it is...thanks for letting us know. :) I just used something that looked similar - Times New Roman, italic.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Pixelnator on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:14 am

I like the XP one. Great colouring in that one.
*steals your skills and replaces them with stickmen*
Bwhahahahahaaa!
Pixelnator
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Finland Finland Finland. The country where i like to be.

Postby Weep on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Pixelnator wrote:I like the XP one. Great colouring in that one.
*steals your skills and replaces them with stickmen*
Bwhahahahahaaa!
Nothing doing, I've spent too much time acquiring said skills. :evilgrin: Though I have created a few amusing stick-drawing images in the past...

Update time! A few from recent comics. I'd be making more right now (or maybe working on another idea for a not-the-Saddest-Thing-Ever EGS music video) if I weren't so tired due to a recent...incident... :shifty: You're right 10.0.0.1, it is addicting. :)

[01-21-2006]
Who doesn't love panels about that dawning moment of realization...
Nanase: I did NOT just get hit square in the face with a featherduster...
Grace: Ohmygosh, I guess they ARE that big!
:lol:
Sayu commented in the story thread that I perhaps should put a border of contrasting color around it so it would show up on different-colored backdrops; I crafted it for use on the EGS forums but perhaps I'll create a thusly-modified version when I'm not about to keep over asleep. ;)

[01-21-2006]
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am

Mm, double-posting.

[3/10/06] New stuff! Also, a better format to the main index post.

An avatar of a photo taken in this comic. I meant it to look a bit like a slide in a slide holder. Hey, Justin(e) did say to Elliot and Sarah that they didn't need their mushiness on film, despite shooting with a digital camera... ;)

Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lomgren on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Great avatars, and I had forgotten about that hammering pic, hehe.
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Deiwos on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:41 pm

Mmmm, those are some very interesting shadowing effects you've got going on. Very nice ^_^~
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Weep on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:59 pm

Jumping comments about my Sanchay fanart from that thread over to here where it's probably more appropriate...
Edit: image replaced with secret ninja it's-not-6-AM improved shading version.

common svensson wrote:@weep: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE :o ?!? Now that's a surprise! I look at your artwork, and I'm really impressed! The poses (especially Tigergryph's), the expressions... everything seems in its right place. Do you have a fanart thread (if yes, it must have escaped me)? Please do more art, this looks so promising! (And BTW: using references is not a problem, it's good practice, and you'll eventually stop using them, I'm pretty sure!)
LOL, your reaction... :P

Thank you! I don't draw very much at all so I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, especially for direct-from-tablet work! Still, in all fairness, it's more drawing skill of the "drawing what you see" variety than the creative variety, the latter of which I value more, especially when it comes to cartooning. It's not too far from being reposed versions of my references, this and this.

This *gestures* is my fanstuff thread...not much in the way of drawings, at least yet.

You should see my pathetic, failed attempts to draw EGS characters without reference...no wait, no you shouldn't. :oops: I have no personal style yet so I don't have much of anything to go on unless I'm somewhat familiar with a certain pre-existing style...which I'm not, at the moment. :P

Q99 wrote:
Weep wrote:Well whaddayaknow, I can draw... Um, reference used quite heavily. ^_^;
And better than me, it seems!
I wouldn't say that...I've got nothing when it comes to drawing anything stylized from imagination. :-| You succeed at that, so props definitely deserve to go to you.
Last edited by Weep on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:12 pm

I officially have to say this is great stuff, Weep..^^ keep it up.
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby ravenb on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:29 pm

I am both delighted and terrified by the sight of Sanchay with those frickin' huge eyes. :lol: Nicely done, mate.
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby Beacon on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:36 am

Weep wrote:You should see my pathetic, failed attempts to draw EGS characters without reference...no wait, no you shouldn't. :oops: I have no personal style yet so I don't have much of anything to go on unless I'm somewhat familiar with a certain pre-existing style...which I'm not, at the moment. :P

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. I know I started by copying off of comics and cosplay photos. Photos being my preference, but it can be hard to find good ones. I only started drawing without a base less than a month ago.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby common svensson on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 am

ah so this is your fanart thread, eh?... pretty nice thread you got here...
You should definitely draw more (*believes in the powers of encouragement through repetition*). As I said before, references aren't evil. When I try to draw new recognizable egs characters, i usually make a handfull doodles based on references, asking myself the question: what makes the character recognizable? Is it the curve of the hair? The roundness of the eyes? etc... When you remember these recognizable features and start working without references, your own style usually comes along after a while.
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 am

Well, my fanart, except for the piece I did for Dan's birthday, was all done from memory. Unfortunately, it shows, heh.
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Platinum Dragon on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 am

When I get the time, I'm making an imageshack account for the sole purpose of using that banner... *grin*
I have a signiature. Look, isn't it shiny?
Thanks Weep for the banner.

More valuable than gold,
Shinier than dark-iron,
More chemically resilient than silver,
Less hard edges than adamantine....
Frickin' mithril... some kinda ubermetal, why I aughtta!.
Platinum Dragon
Keenspot Despot

Location: South. No, further south. No, souther than th- too far! Too south, you're going north again! *slap*

Postby Weep on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:42 am

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. :)

Beacon wrote:Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. I know I started by copying off of comics and cosplay photos. Photos being my preference, but it can be hard to find good ones.
Well, drawing from stuff isn't so much a problem - that's what basic drawing classes teach after all - but lacking the practice in order to be able to smoothly, quickly, and precisely draw the lines where my mind knows they should go is. :P The other half is lack of experience with cartoon styles, so even if my mind knows when something looks (more or less) correct when it sees it, it can't typically come up with those on its own ahead of time very well. Just gotta practice, I guess. Stupid 24-hour days with requirement of sleep...

common svensson wrote:You should definitely draw more (*believes in the powers of encouragement through repetition*). As I said before, references aren't evil. When I try to draw new recognizable egs characters, i usually make a handfull doodles based on references, asking myself the question: what makes the character recognizable? Is it the curve of the hair? The roundness of the eyes? etc... When you remember these recognizable features and start working without references, your own style usually comes along after a while.
Thanks for the encouragement. Thing is, since I have other skills (that I haven't shown to the EGS community...yet) I hold pretty much anything that I produce that I care about much at all to a decently high standard...and in some cases, higher than I can fluidly produce. Therefore, if I'm going to finish something like, for example, a drawing, I currently have to take a long time and redo it and zoom in to 400% zoom in Photoshop and slow way down. I dunno if that's the kind of practice that would lead to doing it faster and more smoothly and more expressively, or whether it'd be better to persistently try to do it that way and fail until the practice builds enough skill to succeed. To draw now (and I don't tend to take the time if it's only for practice, not to create a finished product) means to practice doing it slowly. :-|

Platinum Dragon wrote:When I get the time, I'm making an imageshack account for the sole purpose of using that banner... *grin*
:D
Last edited by Weep on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:02 am

Case in point: I drew this based on pretty much the second or third thing that came to mind after learning Susan's choice of song for the party karaoke. It took...a while, and I even decided to "ink" it using the pen tool, which is most definitely not anything that would build hand-eye coordination nor muscle skill. :roll: But it produces smooth, clean lines and allows for revision/tweaking faster than deleting and redrawing, and that's what I wanted here. I started with a sketch, though, a stone's-throw away from tracing panel 4 of this comic - not actually tracing, of course, but I put it in the background and sketched the different angle and pose on top of it for detail and proportional reference.

The hands turned out a bit mangled, especially compared to Sanchay's right hand in the birthday gift art - that hand, I felt, turned out quite good. ^_^

Anyway, after learning Susan sang Sweet Dreams, this image popped into my head. If you don't get it, it might do you well to see the original and continuation of this particular Conan O'Brien internet meme...

OBEY SUSAN! (Changed to a link for file size reasons)
[original post]

Well...I think it's funny. :roll:

And, from pseudo-request by Pixelnator and for full effect, the STPNB* version. Synchrony seems decent in Firefox.
*Susan's The Parody Now, Bunnies. Sound and format and text-generation code shamelessly taken from YTMND.
Last edited by Weep on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby common svensson on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 am

Yeah, that's the spirit! Go create, little bunny! A very clean drawing, it reminds me a lot of Dan's style (which is good) - me likes! I also approve of the animation: the hands&arms movement, the little shaking, the eerie fx, it's just right (you DID a lot of fine-tuning, didn't you?). As for the facial expression, in connection with the music - yes, definately comically scary!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Thing is, since I have other skills (that I haven't shown to the EGS community...yet) I hold pretty much anything that I produce that I care about much at all to a decently high standard...and in some cases, higher than I can fluidly produce. Therefore, if I'm going to finish something like, for example, a drawing, I currently have to take a long time and redo it and zoom in to 400% zoom in Photoshop and slow way down. I dunno if that's the kind of practice that would lead to doing it faster and more smoothly and more expressively, or whether it'd be better to persistently try to do it that way and fail until the practice builds enough skill to succeed. To draw now (and I don't tend to take the time if it's only for practice, not to create a finished product) means to practice doing it slowly.

Ah well, the curse of the perfectionist, we're trading productivity for quality... As for your other skills, you're really making me curious... is it something visual? Anyway, just keep on doing stuff!

On a sidenote: Your work reminded me of the time when http://www.elgoonishshive.com/d/20060320.html (panel 1) somehow reminded me of a terminator parody... it's the way susan takes notes. so robot-like...
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Malachy19 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 am

Hahahah Future Susman takes controll!
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---