Master Nick?

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Master Nick?

Postby atristain on Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:57 pm

What would be Scott's reason to call Nick by this name?

Besides Nick's experience in GPF, I thought his zealotry was reserved for Fooker & Sharon since they are supposed to be "The One" parents.

It could get annoying, like a lot of secondary characters call the main character "fearless leader", unless...

...somebody here already theorized that the shadowy charactercalling nega-Nick "Sire" is Scott. Perhaps we have some psychos... :shifty: I mean... psychics in the Forum.

Or perhaps the Evil Cartoonist needs to upgrade his server's security and lock his notes somewhere besides the cookie Jar.
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:04 pm

I thought that was Fooker actually, but bald. Like in the SM alternate future.
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby kiga on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:56 pm

It could be Scott just uses names that sound like they mean a lot more than they do. In old-fashioned usage, "Master" is to "Mr." as "Miss" is to "Mrs."
Kevin Iga
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
kiga
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illjwamh on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:06 pm

kiga wrote:It could be Scott just uses names that sound like they mean a lot more than they do. In old-fashioned usage, "Master" is to "Mr." as "Miss" is to "Mrs."

That's been my assumption. I keep wanting to give him a British accent in my head. :P
EGS Bunny since July 28, 2002

Illjwamh
Keenspot Despot

Postby HackOfAllTrades on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Master," as an honorific title (in the same vein as "Mr." or "Mrs."), usually used to refer to boys (as opposed to full-grown men)?

Either way, though, his whole "By the source!" outburst should be proof enough that Scott has his own, unique manner of speaking. ;)
"There's nothing wrong with falling down, as long as you end up just two inches taller when you pick yourself up off the floor." - John Sheridan
HackOfAllTrades
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby fossil on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 pm

Just a guess: calling Sharon "Milady" makes Scott sound like he may be in the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). For any not familiar with it, they're into recreating medieval history, "the Middle Ages as they should have been", with the arts and crafts and tournaments but without nasty stuff like the plague. I'm not a member but have had friends and colleagues who were. As I understand it, they use the title "Master" for those who have mastered an art or craft, like blacksmithing or tanning leather or weaving or music, and in that sense it would be appropriate for both Nick and Fooker.

I'd love to ask Jeff to comment, but since he hasn't provided much background on Scott other than his membership in The Brotherhood, I expect that *if* he wants us to know why Scott talks that way, he'll let us know via the comic, in his own good time....
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 am

While the Brotherhood cast entry does list Scott, Tim, and Patty together, it also identifies them all individually in the text. The first sentence of the second paragraph explicitly denotes that Scott is "the black haired geek pictured." Just so's ya knows...

Actually, since Scott's not going to be getting a lot of face time during "To Thine Own Self..." I don't mind elaborating a little on him. (He'll probably figure prominently in the first story of Year Nine, but that's getting ahead of things. ;) ) In my head, everyone is a little bit right about him. We don't know much about Scott outside of his Brotherhood duties and his contract work for GPF, but he does have a life (albeit not much of one). Being in the SCA could be one possibility. His description of the rehearsal dinner as "a most bounteous feast" kind of strikes me as him having a Renascence flair, which is what I had in mind. I've thought a time or two if he'd get along well with King Luca....

However, we do know his zealous nature puts both Fooker and Sharon on a pedestal, seeing them as the parents of "the One" who will be the geek Messiah. He could easily be seeing their friends and coworkers as their royal court (or, perhaps to better fit the religious analogy, as saints or apostles). Thus, although Nick, Ki, Dex, and Dwayne wouldn't have the significance of Fooker, Sharon, and "the One," they would still be worthy of respect by association. "Master" is the honorific he has chosen to designate them with.

Oh, and atristain, my story notes are safely locked in the crumbled remains of my dead laptop hard drive, so nobody's getting to them... including me.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby WhizGidget on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 am

Sorry to hear about the laptop Jeff... I hope you're back to 100% runtime very soon. Laptop downtime stinks.

Thanks for the notes on Scott... I kind of had him falling into the Renaissance for important occasions sort of guy - trying to stand out, fit in, and give the whole matter the respect it deserves all at the same time.

...and I have to agree with an earlier poster - he certainly *could* be the shadowy figure in the alternate universe strip - his head is shaped just the right way....
WhizGidget
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:45 am

Limax wrote:
jtdarlington wrote:Oh, and atristain, my story notes are safely locked in the crumbled remains of my dead laptop hard drive, so nobody's getting to them... including me.

Wow... a completely unhackable computer. Brilliant, Jeff! ;)

Thanks for clarifying that Jeff. I hope your laptop gets better some day. :( I guess it's the only way for not getting any Spam.

Sounds like a story I heard (I don't know if it's Urban Legend or not) about the author of Babylon 5, that while checking his e-mail, he got a message from a "fan" saying he sent him an attachment (I can't remember if it was Fanfiction, a screesaver or an animation) based on the program. When he opened it, a screen appeared saying "Star Trek Rulz" and it wiped the entire scripts of a season.

Sadly, some geeks give the rest of us a bad name.

EDIT:
Illjwamh wrote:
kiga wrote:It could be Scott just uses names that sound like they mean a lot more than they do. In old-fashioned usage, "Master" is to "Mr." as "Miss" is to "Mrs."

That's been my assumption. I keep wanting to give him a British accent in my head. :P

At least he knows better than calling Sharon a "Mistress". He would be under a pile of servers in no time after calling her that.
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby kiga on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 am

Thanks, Jeff, for the inside scoop on Scott. And sorry to hear about your laptop hard drive. :(
Kevin Iga
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
kiga
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:03 pm

I've split the hard drive crash discussion into its own thread, so it wouldn't monopolize this one. So keep the hard drive comments of there and theorize about Scott over here. ;)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby atristain on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Thanks Jeff. I was not implying that you needed to do that. It's funny how a random comment can end up in splitting threads and forum bannings.

I hope this is not the case. :shifty:
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

I was already considering splitting the thread before your comment; I like keeping things relatively tidy. It's just hard to split things when an individual post responds to both ongoing threads of discussion. ;) (Ironically, I'm typing this on Apollo now, with the HD in another room and Knoppix sitting in the CD-ROM.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Return to General Protection Fault