Lomgren's Artwork (update Nov 13th, new hosting)

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Lomgren's Artwork (update Nov 13th, new hosting)

Postby Lomgren on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 pm

I've had to move my artwork and such to photobucket. New links on all images I've posted here.

Well, seeing that someone had already created their own -1 level bunny banner, I decided I would try and create a banner of my own, based off of Uite's original banners... and I've also been thinking about trying to make avatars as well.

Here is the result of my first project:

It's a level i banner, for the square root of -1. I've already seen suggestions that a 'pi' banner and an 'e' banner need to be made now, and I might try and make them if I can get a bit of free time.

Here is an update, using a different technique to do the text. It's still not as clean, since I can't quite follow what Uite does using the GIMP, but it's still decent.

Here is the next bunnypoint banner, using the same technique as the above.

New Bunnypoint Banner!

Next up are some banners I created to be used over in the Mayhem forums that are free for everyone to use:

Here is a banner for voting for EGS over at topwebcomics:

Here is the first avatar I created (from the Aug 2, 2002 comic), so that I could use the image in the banner (I thought it made sense to use Ellen just after she was created, due to the name I gave the xp, heh). Due to constructive criticism, I updated the avatar a bit to give it more shading, and a less harsh background, which is the one on the right.
Image Image

Well, I finally got a chance to make a new avatar. It is based off the 6-20-2004 comic, using Commander Jaguar, since I didn't see anything in the avatar thread using him.

Another avatar update, from the same comic as the one above:

I couldn't help it. I saw the last panel in the 12-12-05 comic, and had to colorize it. And animate it...
Image Image

Here's an avatar from 12-14-05. I decided to animate it as well.
Image Image

Due to some events over in Mayhem, I decided to make an avatar from the 7-21-2002 filler:

Here's another avatar, based on the 12-16-05 comic:

New avatars, from the 12-21-05 comic:
Image Image Image

Another avatar, as requested by whackamole2, based on the 7-2-2004 comic.

Three new avatars from the 12-30-05 comic:
Image Image Image

New avatar from the 1-6-06 comic:

New avatar from the 1-11-06 comic:

New avatars from 2-1-06 comic:
Image Image

New avatar from 2-8-06 comic:

Fanart listing:
Here's the first fanart I tried, and a coloration of it too:
Image Image
Here's my second attempt, this time with a full body.
Image Image
Third attempt:
Image Image
Fourth attempt:
Image Image

Trying Sarah:
Image Image

Dan's Birthday fanart contribution (pngs):
Image Image

The TF-Gun (and yes, there are errors, heh):

Requests and Semi-requests:
anti-paragon's character, Ann:
New stuff here!

Stuff I've done but haven't put on the front page here yet, in no particular order:
Last edited by Lomgren on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:04 am, edited 37 times in total.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby ssokolow on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:34 am

Yes it does. You just keep the text a separate layer, select it, use "shrink selection" and then apply a different color/transparency to the shrunken region.
== For the record: ==
As long as they're civil, I welcome PMs from anyone and everyone.
I use Gentoo Linux with a KDE desktop... heavily customized
== Quotes: ==
"I'm aware this is a comic with weresquirrels and magic, but that would have made no sense whatsoever." -- Dan Shive
"Out of all of this, I have become completely convinced of one thing: some omniscient being is playing Yahtzee with fate here." -- Midnight_zephyr
"What about painting my house an ugly color, spilling ugly photons on your land?" -- Tim Lee
I has a cookie.
ssokolow
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 am

Nice banner! Oddly, I get Calvin & Hobbes -vibes from Sarah's image in that banner...

On another note: Yes! Soon there'll be so many people doing coloring, we should consider coloring the entire comic as a joint effort! :evilgrin:
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby ssokolow on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:56 am

Raging Mouse wrote:Nice banner! Oddly, I get Calvin & Hobbes -vibes from Sarah's image in that banner...

On another note: Yes! Soon there'll be so many people doing coloring, we should consider coloring the entire comic as a joint effort! :evilgrin:

I'd donate resources to such an effort. I've never tried to color anything and my brother (who's a decent colorist) isn't interested in EGS (despite my best efforts) but I am a highly skilled generalist geek with tons of knowledge and digital tradeables.
== For the record: ==
As long as they're civil, I welcome PMs from anyone and everyone.
I use Gentoo Linux with a KDE desktop... heavily customized
== Quotes: ==
"I'm aware this is a comic with weresquirrels and magic, but that would have made no sense whatsoever." -- Dan Shive
"Out of all of this, I have become completely convinced of one thing: some omniscient being is playing Yahtzee with fate here." -- Midnight_zephyr
"What about painting my house an ugly color, spilling ugly photons on your land?" -- Tim Lee
I has a cookie.
ssokolow
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Windzarko on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:00 am

ssokolow wrote:I'd donate resources to such an effort. I've never tried to color anything and my brother (who's a decent colorist) isn't interested in EGS (despite my best efforts) but I am a highly skilled generalist geek with tons of knowledge and digital tradeables.

Your brother isn't interest in EGS :o

Blasphemy!

But yeah, a full-colour EGS could be really cool, but some parts of the story seem to belong in Black and White; has greater effect, greater impact that way.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Level 13 Bunny with 4520 XP

Support the chance of Firefly Season 2!

Munky yawns... it's super effective!
Windzarko
Keenspot Despot

Postby Uite on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:12 am

And I think if we are going to colour it, the result should be consistent. If you browse through this thread, you'll see that is impossible.
Uite
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Free Radical on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:32 am

Raging Mouse wrote:On another note: Yes! Soon there'll be so many people doing coloring, we should consider coloring the entire comic as a joint effort! :evilgrin:

You might want to ask Dan about that first, he wasn't too pleased the last time...
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:45 am

Uite wrote:And I think if we are going to colour it, the result should be consistent. If you browse through this thread, you'll see that is impossible.

I see your point, but that is a problem that should be solvable. Of course, I was only half-serious. Having a version in glorious color would be extremely nice, but the task is herculean.

Free Radical wrote:You might want to ask Dan about that first, he wasn't too pleased the last time...

:o Now that I wasn't aware of. Even if I'm only half-serious, I'd like to know more about that. Can you point me to a thread?
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Free Radical on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:03 am

Raging Mouse wrote::o Now that I wasn't aware of. Even if I'm only half-serious, I'd like to know more about that. Can you point me to a thread?

It was quite a while ago, and Dan does seem ok with occasional coloured strips now, but he wasn't so keen back here...
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raging Mouse on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:10 am

Right then. I can respect that. Please note my first comment as a joke only.

Hmmm, but what to do with all this potential... Perhaps we could illustrate Enid Blyton's work? :wink:

Oh, and I apologise to you, Lomgren, for this threadjack... :(
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lomgren on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:36 am

ssokolow wrote:Yes it does. You just keep the text a separate layer, select it, use "shrink selection" and then apply a different color/transparency to the shrunken region.

Heh, I should know that I need to be more clear... believe me, I already tried that. The problem is that the text font size used in the banner was small enough that when I tried selecting the text and shrinking it, the selection disappeared. Maybe I'm not doing it quite right, so I can try again when I have a bit more time. Or maybe I should use a larger text size to begin with, and then shrink it down. Maybe I'll be able to get to it tomorrow, since I am a bit too busy today (I hate crunch time at the university, when everything seems to come due at once).
Raging Mouse wrote:Right then. I can respect that. Please note my first comment as a joke only.

Hmmm, but what to do with all this potential... Perhaps we could illustrate Enid Blyton's work? :wink:

No worries, I'll just try to keep my first post edited with artwork and bump it up when I add new stuff :D.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Malachy19 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:51 am

Personally, while a color cover art or filler is fun now and then, I much prefer the black & white / grey scale style. Another habbit picked up from reading a lot of Manga I guess
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Windzarko on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:57 am

I know what you mean. Plus, like I said before, black and white can have a much greater impact sometimes, and that is really what's most important, isn't it?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Windzarko
Keenspot Despot

Postby Uite on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:24 pm

Lomgren wrote:
ssokolow wrote:Yes it does. You just keep the text a separate layer, select it, use "shrink selection" and then apply a different color/transparency to the shrunken region.

Heh, I should know that I need to be more clear... believe me, I already tried that. The problem is that the text font size used in the banner was small enough that when I tried selecting the text and shrinking it, the selection disappeared. Maybe I'm not doing it quite right, so I can try again when I have a bit more time. Or maybe I should use a larger text size to begin with, and then shrink it down. Maybe I'll be able to get to it tomorrow, since I am a bit too busy today (I hate crunch time at the university, when everything seems to come due at once).
Raging Mouse wrote:Right then. I can respect that. Please note my first comment as a joke only.

No worries, I'll just try to keep my first post edited with artwork and bump it up when I add new stuff :D.

I'll tell you how I did it. If you look closely, you won't see any real transparency. I had two layers, one greyscale background, and one 128-grey text. After I input the text, I merge them into one layer, and then colourise it.
Uite
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Thanks, I was wondering about that. One question, though - what exactly do you mean by 128-grey text? I don't know a whole lot about image editing besides a few things I've picked up by reading some GIMP tutorials (which has been enough for my needs).
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Windzarko on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Yeah, I'm curious to know as well. I've heard the phrase used before, but never found out what it meant, and I'm fiddling around with Photoshop right now, so I'm in an arty mood (and it sounds arty :P )
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Windzarko
Keenspot Despot

Postby Uite on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:28 pm

I'll explain it a bit clearer.

This is my background layer. I actually keep it like this.

Then comes my text layer, which I keep like this:
Well, actually, I keep it as a vector text, of which this is an image. (The font is Georgia, italic. The upper line is 14 pts and the lower is 8 pts. I set the line width to 0.5 pts colored black, and filled with 128-grey. 128-grey is 128-128-128 in RGB, or 0-0-128 in HSL. It is basically the colour halfway between pure black and pure white.)

If you then combine the two, you get this:

I keep the character images on separate layers, and add it afterwards. To get to a coloured banner, I merge the background and text layers, and use the colorize tool set to whichever hue I want, saturation 50 (of 0 to 100) and lightness 0 (of -100 to 100)

It's as simple as that.
Uite
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:36 pm

That helps a lot... though I might need to see if I can find a plugin for GIMP that allows me to do hollow text like that. That's about the only thing I am really missing at the moment, though I am working on a way to at least somewhat duplicate it right now. Of course, my method is a bit different, but it's the results that matter :D
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Uite on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:49 pm

Lomgren wrote:That helps a lot... though I might need to see if I can find a plugin for GIMP that allows me to do hollow text like that.

As far as I can see, the text in the banner you posted already uses it. I mean, you've got a solid letter, which is lined by black at the edges.
Uite
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 pm

That was actually me cutting and pasting your text, since I couldn't get it to work right in the GIMP yet, heh. You can see how the actual text from the GIMP looks like by looking at the xp line.

I've got a possible strategy now, though, that should come close to replicating your style, so I'm going to try redoing the banner a bit. If it works, I'll do the other couple of banners someone suggested.
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Lomgren on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 pm

I apologize for double posting, but I have edited the first post to include some more artwork - a reworking of the first banner, as well as a second banner and an avatar. Enjoy :)
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Uite on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:44 am

Lomgren wrote:That was actually me cutting and pasting your text, since I couldn't get it to work right in the GIMP yet, heh. You can see how the actual text from the GIMP looks like by looking at the xp line.

Which is why I stick to Paint Shop Pro. While the GIMP is open source, which is good, and it is actually pretty powerful, it just doesn't seem to be able to create smooth details.
Uite
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:07 am

I might have to see if I can find a copy of Serif Photoplus 5 or 6, I think it's free. It might allow me to do hollow text since it's supposed to be a photoshop-alike, I think.

Oh, and updated the first post again with some minor changes to the avatar
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Q99 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:43 pm

I quite like the new version of your avatar. Especially the shading on the hair, it's interesting and different from the adverage avatar coloring. More recognizably yours.
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:47 am

Finally got around to making a new avatar, hopefully I'll be able to do more during the semester break.

Comments are welcomed.
Image Image
Image Image
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive