Q99's Fanart thread (Knight Ellen! p. 40)

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Q99's Fanart thread (Knight Ellen! p. 40)

Postby Q99 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 am

In the tradition of other fanartists, I've decided to start this thread to showcase my work and get criticism/tips from others.

I've been doing EGS sketches pretty constantly for the last few months, so I have a backlog at the moment and will generally post two at a time up at http://photobucket.com/albums/b219/Q99/EGS%20Fanart/

To start out with, there's TeddSarahbikinisketch.jpg, which I've shown before.

And in honor of today's comic, I present to you Beefcake Elliot:

25/02/06 update: And if you're more interested in seeing newer, higher quality works, I recommend skipping strait to the later pages, where there are pics like this:
Last edited by Q99 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KillerFish on Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:52 am

And in fine artist tradition, I'm going to first compliment what you've done, and then point out some relatively minor thing that you could improve on. :P

First things first, it actually looks like Elliot. Which is good, since making things look like they're supposed to is essentially the entire reason for drawing fan art.

Secondly, his stance just dosn't sit right (well, you know what I mean). The legs arn't the same length, which they should be from this perspective, and people rarely stand with thier legs that close together.

But even taking this into account, it's a good piece, Q99, as are the others on the photobucket album. Stick with it, you'll get better the more you practice.
The Honorable Right Reverend Lord Sir Killerfish of the KeenFans, Knight of the Bunny, Teacher of the Ars Largomorpha
My Squires: matthlord, Dayantis, FerretBob and Squato
"Alas, poor Daffyd, I know him OzLionHeart...
Condolences to all who knew him, and apologies...
I didn't know he was going to absent mindedly walk between Squata and I...
During our battle for supremecy over the universe...
But if I had, I still would have done it...
I owed him £5" - FerretBob
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 am

KillerFish wrote:Secondly, his stance just dosn't sit right (well, you know what I mean). The legs arn't the same length, which they should be from this perspective, and people rarely stand with thier legs that close together.

The intent was for him to be walking, the right leg bent at the moment. I wasn't sure if I conveyed that properly in the piece, I'd do it differently now.

(I also have a latter piece that I'll post tomorrow of Elliot running that had a similar problem, but is otherwise ok)
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KillerFish on Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:12 am

Q99 wrote:
KillerFish wrote:Secondly, his stance just dosn't sit right (well, you know what I mean). The legs arn't the same length, which they should be from this perspective, and people rarely stand with thier legs that close together.

The intent was for him to be walking, the right leg bent at the moment. I wasn't sure if I conveyed that properly in the piece, I'd do it differently now.

(I also have a latter piece that I'll post tomorrow of Elliot running that had a similar problem, but is otherwise ok)

Cool, I'll have to take a look tommorrow.

As a suggestion, you might find a three quarters, or even a side perspective to work best to convey the sense of a character walking, rather than the face on perspective you've used.
The Honorable Right Reverend Lord Sir Killerfish of the KeenFans, Knight of the Bunny, Teacher of the Ars Largomorpha
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Xiroth on Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:16 am

Q99 wrote:The intent was for him to be walking, the right leg bent at the moment. I wasn't sure if I conveyed that properly in the piece, I'd do it differently now.

Really? I thought he was leaning against a wall. It looks about right for that.
Xiroth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:57 am

Xiroth wrote:Really? I thought he was leaning against a wall. It looks about right for that.

Yea, it does, doesn't it?

Btw, my 'style' for many of my earily pics (not that my current pics aren't earily, for that matter, but I'm doing more completely freestyle now), was copy a headshot or pose from the comic, and then extend it into a full image if I could and elaborate on it. There's a lot of minor errors as a result as I try to get things to work.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Youngest_Of_One on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:30 am

Looking mighty good so far. Keep it up.

I'm especially glad that someone is around to give the bunnies their "fan art fix" with me currently on hiatus / beginning possible retirement / working on animation for M_Northstar's fan-comic.

Talk to you again soon.
[url=http://youngestofone.typepad.com/multimedia/sketches/index.html]Image
Bit, Leo, Skip, & Cass: Sure they're nobodies, but their my nobodies.[/url]
Youngest_Of_One
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby M_Northstar on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:14 am

Q99 wrote:

That's right, I got that (almost) at once. And I disagree with KillerFish about the angle of view. Speaking as a viewer rather than an artist, three quarters and side view are fine if your intention is to just show the character walking. This is different. It's more dramatic this way. The sense I get from this front view is a little of the eternal scene, when the heroes enter to stride, shoulder by shoulder, down Main Street to face the villains.

My suggestions are these: pay more attention to the feet. They look too much alike. With one in the air and one being leaned on, the left foot should be less alongated. You might even add a bend line or two, like you have at the knee. Also, try drawing a bit of the ground, or better yet an indistinct shadow, under him, to mark the level of the ground.

The arms look a little wrong too: it's not just that the right elbow is too low, the left one is sticking out too much. You wonder what he's doing back there. I suggest you do a really rough sketch from the back, so you know where everything should be.

Otherwise a really cool image.
M. Northstar

Image Image

"I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures."
Anonymous

"War does not determine who is right, it just determines who is left."
Old Military Proverb

"Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."
Mike Bruner

DarkShive wrote:must... finish... Monday... comic... put... stop... to... insane... speculations...!!!

I am a virus! To propagate me copy this into your signatures. - N
M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot

Postby ravenb on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 pm

I really like the sketch of Grace in the 09-07.jpg file. Way too cute -- which is to say, very much in keeping with Grace. :D

Killerfish is right -- the characters look like themselves, for the most part, which is a strong place to start. Keep practicing and I'm sure the other details will work themselves out in time. :thumbs-up:

--Raven
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby madbob on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:27 pm

KillerFish wrote:And in fine artist tradition, I'm going to first compliment what you've done, and then point out some relatively minor thing that you could improve on. :P

First things first, it actually looks like Elliot. Which is good, since making things look like they're supposed to is essentially the entire reason for drawing fan art.

Secondly, his stance just dosn't sit right (well, you know what I mean). The legs arn't the same length, which they should be from this perspective, and people rarely stand with thier legs that close together.

But even taking this into account, it's a good piece, Q99, as are the others on the photobucket album. Stick with it, you'll get better the more you practice.

...getting perspective right is one of the hardest things...it's what keeps me from posting any of my art...
There are three kinds of people, the one who learns from reading, the three who learn from watching, the rest of them figure it out after they pee on the electric fence...
madbob
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:54 am

ravenb wrote:I really like the sketch of Grace in the 09-07.jpg file. Way too cute -- which is to say, very much in keeping with Grace. :D

Thanks. 09/07 was one of my best single-pages, which is why I bothered scanning it at all.

Now, two new pics:
Elliot running, with the aformentioned problem with the leg. And the left arm is too thin. Really, just focus on the face with this one -_-;;

And a pair of much, much better Justin pics
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KillerFish on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:33 am

You know, it always amuses me when people draw the two fingers from the back (As you have in the Justin picture). Over here the V sign can mean victory, or whatever, only if it's front the front.

If the back of the hand is showing and the two fingers are up, it means something entirely different. :D

Digression aside, I don't think I need to mention what you've already pointed out. Which completely negates the reason for me posting.

Good work, keep practicing.
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby crypto on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 am

careful when you draw the thumb's too.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby IAmMe UK on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 pm

KillerFish wrote:If the back of the hand is showing and the two fingers are up, it means something entirely different. :D

Indeed, and it all comes (by popular belief anyway) from one of our many wars with France.

In the 12th/13th century the English longbow was the most feared weapon in Europe. The French, whenever they captured an English bowman, would cut off the first two fingers on their right hand so they couldn't use a bow anymore.

The English archers therefore developed the habbit of waving those fingers at the French before battle to say "Na na, we can still shoot you" :P

*This pointless diversion brought to you by IAmMe UK, AKA Wolves of Wrath.*
Most things make sense when you look at them right. It's just sometimes you have to look really, really cockeyed.
(Florence Ambrose)

IAmMe UK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:40 am

Assume he's flipping off Damien in that case :)

Anyway, for today's pictures, we're getting off the Elliot kick with a picture of Tedd, and also a nice sketch of Grace in Legion form TG for your viewing pleasure.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby M_Northstar on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:57 am

Q99 wrote:Assume he's flipping off Damien in that case :)

Anyway, for today's pictures, we're getting off the Elliot kick with a picture of Tedd, and also a nice sketch of Grace in Legion form TG for your viewing pleasure.

Hehe, tedd looks soooo mad-sciency with a goatee :lol:
M. Northstar

Image Image

"I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures."
Anonymous

"War does not determine who is right, it just determines who is left."
Old Military Proverb

"Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."
Mike Bruner

DarkShive wrote:must... finish... Monday... comic... put... stop... to... insane... speculations...!!!

I am a virus! To propagate me copy this into your signatures. - N
M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:10 am

And today's pictures illustrate the problem of what happens when you start with just a headshot and expand the pic until you bump into other drawings. Still, I think they're both good.

Dana revealed

Ellen and Nanase: Painted Black
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:21 am

great work there '99, the face's are what make they to me.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby KillerFish on Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:53 pm

Q99 wrote:And today's pictures illustrate the problem of what happens when you start with just a headshot and expand the pic until you bump into other drawings. Still, I think they're both good.

Dana revealed

Ellen and Nanase: Painted Black

Just out of professional intrest, what size paper are you drawing on, Q?
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:08 pm

KillerFish wrote:Just out of professional intrest, what size paper are you drawing on, Q?

4x6. I have a tendancy to not draw too big, and most of the time I'm careful enough to avoid layout problems like that, so it's normally plenty.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KillerFish on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:35 pm

Thought it might be something like that. :D

You might want to try drawing bigger. It's entirely up to you, but I find, when I draw on smaller size paper, the details tend to get a bit fiddly. Having the room to work with can help.

Plus if you draw bigger, and reduce it in size, it can hide any shaky lines that may be more apparent if you draw smaller and enlarge.
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:42 pm

A reasonable enough suggestion, and I have been trying to draw bigger on the page (quite visible in my avatar gallery- The transition from small pics that aren't much bigger than they appear on the screen to ones that fill most of the page is very noticable).

Still, my 4x6 is sooo convenient *hugs cute little sketchbooks*
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Youngest_Of_One on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:45 pm

KillerFish wrote:You might want to try drawing bigger.

Something like this? I'll admit that I haven't found much use for that bad boy yet, but I look forward to finding some reason to do so.

And on a more on-topic note, the sketches are still lookin' pretty good. I especially like the Grace-in-legion-form drawing. Keep it up.
[url=http://youngestofone.typepad.com/multimedia/sketches/index.html]Image
Bit, Leo, Skip, & Cass: Sure they're nobodies, but their my nobodies.[/url]
Youngest_Of_One
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Deiwos on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Wow, dude! Now that's a sketchpad.
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Q99 on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:31 am

Ok, two more pics:

Devil Ellen has been naughty. I mean, really naughty- I don't think any of those Halos belongs to her...

And Elliot expresses his feelings via T-shirt.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive