[STORY] 04/23/2005 - I'm Surprised it Didn't Take Longer

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Tangent on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:10 pm

Cameo wrote:On a lighter note, Justine looks a lot like Diane.

Nope. Not a chance. Justine is much more beautiful, and has a softer face. Diane just doesn't evoke any real attraction. I look at her and go "meh" while Justine (*clothed* even) gets me wanting to give her a hug. :) Also, Justine's hair looks to be more fun. Natural, not just styled to get what she wants.
Robert A. Howard

Save Clan of the Cats! This fantastic web-comic needs your help to stay alive! Even "just" reading the comic helps. Go to the web-site to learn more. :)
Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:18 pm

I really should put this in the FAQ (and/or filler), but Uryuom tech is designed with safeguards for non-uryuom species, which means they've accounted for species that have pregnancy. If someone becomes pregnant while TG'd, the transformation becomes permanent, and Uryuom methods of transformation will no longer have any effect until after birth has been given. It's the only current official way in EGS to be permanently transformed into a woman. Quite a commitment on many levels.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Subjectmatter on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:27 pm

That's a relief.
The alternative is just too horrible: just imagine, the child being crushed to death as the womb... ceases to exist, perhaps the child gets lodged in the stomach, recieving severe acid burn before being removed from the corpse (as the TG-ee would almost certainly not survive either...)

*shudder*

But this is interesting in other ways also, could you fake a pregnancy, causing the transformation to be permanent without the *ahem* side effect? Tedd could make a lot of money off this...
'T is moonlight, summer moonlight,
All soft and still and fair;
The silent light of midnight
Shines sweetly everywhere,

But most where trees are sending
Their breezy boughs on high,
Or stooping low are lending
A shelter for the sky.
-Emily Bront
Subjectmatter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tangent on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:30 pm

*eyes Darkshive's comment*

*starts grinning evilly and rubbing his hands together*

Exccccellent! Oh Juuuustin... could you come here for a minute? *hiding the Gerbal Insemination Gun (from Narbonic) behind back* (Hey, Dan didn't say pregnant with what... :D)
Robert A. Howard

Save Clan of the Cats! This fantastic web-comic needs your help to stay alive! Even "just" reading the comic helps. Go to the web-site to learn more. :)
Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:41 pm

Erik Mesoy wrote:
Tangent wrote:I'm betting that it was an... enhanced dream. That the spectre that was trying to avoid our two "immortals" was responsible for this.
Atashi-Cloud wrote:*insert evil Maniacal laughter here*Okay...this obviously has something to do with the spirit that wants to be at Ellen's party....This dream Justin has could be a pre-cursor to the actual party, though I doubt that it would be a true indicator of what will happen...Not to mention that the spirit that the two immortals are trying to stop apparently seems to have made a come back in what appears to be a younger form of Elliot....after all, the two immortals were following Elliot for a while, so it would stand to reason that the spirit is actually an extra persona/inner demon of Elliot's....after all, remember what Greg said just before that fight with Nanase? Anyways, I'm guessing it's possible that the spirit could be the result of an old inner demon Elliot has held back for so long that it manifested itself a form in the shape of Elliot as a Freshman and is now going out to try and ruin the party, or shift it in his favor so that Elliot will re-use the demon incidentally as he is Female and far more susceptable to emotions like anger and sadness....^ ^
Starcat5 wrote:When I first saw this, and I mean saw, as in before reading it, my first reaction was "Ach! Evil dude messing with Justin!". ...and then I realize that the guy was Elliot. That was when the cold chills hit. That smirk practicly screemed to me:

"I'm thinking whicked thoughts about you. I'm thinking whicked thoughts about you, in which you suffer great pain and hardship, and most likely not survive. I'm thinking whicked thoughts about you, and I'm getting off on them."

...and then I remember seeing that grin in the comic once before: http://www.elgoonishshive.com/d/20050218.html
It sounds like we have a consensus.* (Make sure to view the links.)

Dan Shive, you are summoned to comment on these dark speculations at once. Stop posting random nonsense about people going to the party :P

*This over-descriptive Quoteseek Project brought to you by the Lucky Bunny Bounty Show, now in reruns!

Hrm....Thanks for the compiling, Erik...and, I do have to say that Dan has to comment on this....I mean, it's the best thing we, as speculators, have going so far...all I see right now is for Dan to say something along the lines of that this is interesting and does derserve a note of honor as we've done quite a bit of challenging on finding it out.....either that, or my ego is definitely taking over my mind right now.....^ ^;;;; Dan, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us what's with our speculation that seems to have gone wrong, if anything at all....*bows*Thank you,(insert long and winded titles that all mean something powerful and great in the world here) Dan Shive...
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:50 pm

Oooh... TFG + the pill = permanent transformation? Indeed, that could be sold for many thousands of dollars a hit. Many, many thousands. Yipe!
Is soo designing a TFG in spare time now...

As for the reversion being halted until parturition, how soon after, exactly, would the reversion occur? I'm trying to imagine the look on the Ob-Gyn's face, but it doesn't seem to want to stick :o

Does this also mean that the transformation time is essentially arbitrary? As in, whoever was programming the form could set a time limit well into the future, like a year, say?

P.S. What happens when a transformee is killed - would the body revert immediately, once the programmed time is up, or not at all?
P.P.S. On a related note, what effect would a TF beam have on a dead body?
“Onward to Victory!”
Azrael, Colony Leader, Victory Colony.
Resident Evil Chocolatier and Mad Geneticist.
Bearer of the Ring of Creativity and of the Ring of Intelligence.
Pre-pre-orders for Felis jeremiah specimens now closed! Sorry folks!
There is no DGMP conspiracy. And I am certainly not member #1427.
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tangent on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:51 pm

Subjectmatter wrote:That's a relief.
The alternative is just too horrible: just imagine, the child being crushed to death as the womb... ceases to exist, perhaps the child gets lodged in the stomach, recieving severe acid burn before being removed from the corpse (as the TG-ee would almost certainly not survive either...)

*shudder*

More likely is that the placenta would latch onto the abdominal wall and the man would become pregnant. The womb and stomach are nowhere near close enough for the child to be "digested" (and considering TG#5 lasts one month, the child would be quite small:
Week 1:

You get your period.

Week 2:

While an egg ripens in one of your two fallopian tubes, the uterus starts to form a lining of blood-rich tissue.

Week 3:

Conception. Only one of the thousands of sperm that have traveled through the fallopian tubes breaks through the egg's protective barrier to form a zygote. The cells start to divide into a small cluster as they travel down the fallopian tube towards the uterus.

Size: .006 inches

Week 4:

The tiny cluster of cells attaches itself to the uterine wall and then divides in half. One half becomes the placenta and the other half the baby. At the same time, different germ layers form. These are the building blocks for the central nervous and skeletal systems.

Size: .04 inches

Even assuming that you skip weeks 1 and 2 and have the new woman instantly fertile... then the baby might be at this size range: Size: .08 to .16 inches (smaller than a morsal of food). In week 6 (which is the size listed above) the brain is just starting to form as well. Week 5 has the heart forming.

Said information can be found here.

Interestingly enough, men can carry a child to term, it's been done with monkeys. You'd just need to do a cesarian to deliver the child.

But Dan's already said it's a moot point, so... :D
Robert A. Howard

Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cameo on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Tangent wrote:
Cameo wrote:On a lighter note, Justine looks a lot like Diane.

Nope. Not a chance. Justine is much more beautiful, and has a softer face. Diane just doesn't evoke any real attraction. I look at her and go "meh" while Justine (*clothed* even) gets me wanting to give her a hug. :) Also, Justine's hair looks to be more fun. Natural, not just styled to get what she wants.

Well, I think it's mainly the fact that they have the same hair color. And that was largely based off of panel 13, too. I seem to recall Diane having a similar expression at one point, so that might be it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Pencil_Crayon_Phoenix on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:23 pm

Stingra wrote:Hey, has anyone seen the one where the King is at the bottom of this hill when the guy opens his front door, and then when he looks inside his house and then turns around, the King is right there! Less than three feet from the guy's face!

I literally jerked upwards in shock when I saw that one.

Yeah. I just find that whole series of commercials to be creepy as all get-out, really.
I don't want random strangers coming up to me and coming into my house. It doesn't matter if they also bring food in offering - I just don't like people in my space.
Pencil_Crayon_Phoenix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mullon on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:31 pm

I wonder if this is the record for longest thread for a strip against the shortest time it has been up?....Did I say that right?
Mullon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tangent on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:45 pm

I think we've had some that went further than 6 pages. 8 is I think the biggest, but I'm not a regular in the EGS boards so... *shrug* The CRfH boards have had pages grow to 10+ pages in a course of 24 hours. Now that's scary.
Robert A. Howard

Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby masonwheeler on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Morgan Evans wrote:That is rather my stance as well. After all, can the soul be said to have a gender?

I don't see why not.

Mason
[i]Si no viv
masonwheeler
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tuitsuro on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Well this is one of those comics that can be cause for a lot of speculation, so it's no suprise I guess. I`m just having fun trying to find posts that other people quoted, and having to look 2 or three pages back... o_O
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambi on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 pm

On the topic of Elliot summoning inner demons, I always thought of that as sending the opponent into an inner conflict. Something like: fight begins, Elliot doing the "summoning", and then his opponent has a flashback to an episode of his past where he did something which he now hates.

Had Elliot used that against Damien, Damien would probably have had a flashback about killing his creators. The result would probably be a distracted, but also very angry Damien, and since Damien wasn't actively fighting him, Elliot didn't try it. (He tried a short-distance soul fury, though, which failed - due to Elliot's hands being bound - to the extent Damien didn't even recognize it as an attack) And when Elliot did fight, it was against the semi-friendly Hedge.

So there still might be a way Elliot could use it in the future. After all, he seems talented in even throwing his friends into inner conflict, the latest example being Justin.
Ce mobol nyumja cho julpmoais, quo cgyura sum hyumja u quui
umja mechot rucgec helobol, obom serja mebonvol luyum

ImageImageImageImageImage
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
And what's with all the carrots
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies, bunnies, it must be bunnies
Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:31 pm

Tangent wrote:I think we've had some that went further than 6 pages. 8 is I think the biggest, but I'm not a regular in the EGS boards so... *shrug* The CRfH boards have had pages grow to 10+ pages in a course of 24 hours. Now that's scary.

Only 10 pages? Over at megatokyo, I've seen comic discussion threads go from zero to fifteen pages in less than 12 hours; that is not just scary, it is impossible to keep up with - by the time you've actually clicked on th reply button, someone else already has and in the time taken to process that click, as many as three other posts have already been added :o
That dosn't take into account the (minimum two) other threads about the same strip (the inevitable CG & a more focused discourse of the paricular fashions the characters are sporting that day).
Nor does it account for the other 15 or so active threads in the SD forum...
“Onward to Victory!”
Azrael, Colony Leader, Victory Colony.
Resident Evil Chocolatier and Mad Geneticist.
Bearer of the Ring of Creativity and of the Ring of Intelligence.
Pre-pre-orders for Felis jeremiah specimens now closed! Sorry folks!
There is no DGMP conspiracy. And I am certainly not member #1427.
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:32 pm

The bonus story in EGS: Volume 1 briefly addresses/will address the "inner demons" dealie ("/will address" added on because it's not out yet as of the time of this post ^^; )
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby 127.0.0.2 on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:38 pm

Morgan Evans wrote:My own stance on such things is that the body is of less relevance than its pilot. The person means more than the shape.

Which is, if you think about it, exactly the way how people communicate over the internet :D
Do what the abcd_z sais and visit the El Goonish Shive IRC channel at http://www.nightstar.net!
Click here, if you already have an IRC client, or here, if not!

Image Image
Keenspot Despot

Postby Burentsu on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:40 pm

"I love me the Mochacina" - T.J.
America the Book by Jon Stewart
Burentsu
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GA Jedi Knight on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:10 pm

Burentsu wrote:whee inner demons!

Foamy!!!

... I have nothing of value to add to this discussion, as it all has been said already...
Eternal Legends - Chapter 8 (8/12/06) Read it or the owl will eat you!
*Apprentice of the Keeper of the Flowery Backgrounds* :D
This thread should be mandatory reading for all potential Jedi bunnies.
GA Jedi Knight
Keenspot Despot

Postby Morgan Evans on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:24 pm

127.0.0.2 wrote:
Morgan Evans wrote:My own stance on such things is that the body is of less relevance than its pilot. The person means more than the shape.

Which is, if you think about it, exactly the way how people communicate over the internet :D

Actually, I didn't write that, I merely agreed with it.
Morgan Evans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Morgan Evans on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:26 pm

Mr. Bushido wrote:strangely, the comic made me tear up a bit. I don't know why...unless it's the fact that I have no talent for drawing women, beautiful or otherwise...might be it...doubt it...

EDIT: just realized what it was. This comic kinda struck home with me (as this comic tends to, moreso than others I read). I had this girlfriend who basically broke up with me because I'm a nerd. Bah, I don't care about her and I'm beginning to think I never did. Good times, good times...

I, on the other hand, would consider going out with someone because they're a nerd. . . .

What can I say, I think nerds are hot.
Morgan Evans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mr. Bushido on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:33 pm

heh...heh...
*^_^'*
Blue World - Coming soon
Mr. Bushido
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Weavah on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:20 pm

Darkshive wrote:I really should put this in the FAQ (and/or filler), but Uryuom tech is designed with safeguards for non-uryuom species, which means they've accounted for species that have pregnancy. If someone becomes pregnant while TG'd, the transformation becomes permanent, and Uryuom methods of transformation will no longer have any effect until after birth has been given. It's the only current official way in EGS to be permanently transformed into a woman. Quite a commitment on many levels.

We read this and we ponder... It suggests that the TF gun 'seeds' a target with a microscopic smart probe, possibly generated in the transformation, which is capable of collapsing the energy structure that would morph the person back. Said probe would monitor a body for sign of pregnancy, and would lock the transformation, resetting it as the person's baseline, when such was detected.

But I did not know the gun could do permenant changes...

Weavah
Weavah
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tangent on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:36 pm

azrael_2001 wrote:
Tangent wrote:I think we've had some that went further than 6 pages. 8 is I think the biggest, but I'm not a regular in the EGS boards so... *shrug* The CRfH boards have had pages grow to 10+ pages in a course of 24 hours. Now that's scary.

Only 10 pages? Over at megatokyo, I've seen comic discussion threads go from zero to fifteen pages in less than 12 hours; that is not just scary, it is impossible to keep up with - by the time you've actually clicked on th reply button, someone else already has and in the time taken to process that click, as many as three other posts have already been added :o
That dosn't take into account the (minimum two) other threads about the same strip (the inevitable CG & a more focused discourse of the paricular fashions the characters are sporting that day).
Nor does it account for the other 15 or so active threads in the SD forum...

I was giving a conservative estimate. During the heyday of the forums, before UniqueUsername started getting First Post every single time (we suspect time travel is involved) we would have four, five reaction threads crop up in a matter of minutes to each other. Each would, within an hour, each have 5+ pages of reactions. After the first couple of hours it would naturally slow down... and the top two threads would continue to accumulate even more posts until finally the people reacting to the next day's worth posts started up.

I am curious about one thing though: how many posts are in a page for their forum board? It's 20 for the CRfH forum. If it's less for the other one that pushes up the pages but at a cost of number of posts.
Robert A. Howard

Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Minivet on Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:31 pm

Subjectmatter wrote:I'm unsure as to whether one can ever be raped in a dream, does not a dream invariable depict something which we want to happen on some level?

I think that theory was eventually disproved. Dreams can be things we don't want too. (Does anyone want, on some level, to take an exam for a class they never attended or studied for?)
"I for one do not lament the passing of social organizations that used the many as a manured soil in which to grow a few graceful flowers of refined culture." -- Theodosius Dobzhansky
Minivet
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive