Can you handle... the DAILY GRIND?

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Can you handle... the DAILY GRIND?

Postby STrRedWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:25 am

I just heard from Scott Kurtz on his web comic that he's entered into the The Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge. You basicly bet $20 that you will update every day before 12 midnight PST, and for ANY reason you fail, you're out.

Scott's in. Can we get our own Iron Men, including Jeff (GPF) and Howard (Schlock Mercenary) in on this?

I belive Gav and Nate can answer any update-on-time issues concerning the servers.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis (Mallet Swinging Penguin Wrangler at Large)
Artist, Stalag '99 (Canmephians. 'nuff said.)
Free malleting for posting CG questions on 'Spot forums! Ask them on ours instead.
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby McBean on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:33 am

Psh, this contest would be no sweat. I doubt scott kurtz will last more than two or three weeks though.
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby carsonfire on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 am

Howard's got a buffer of, what, ten or twenty years, doesn't he? How long does this contest last? :D
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:53 am

I think both Jeff and Howard would have a great shot at it. Unfortunately, J Alexander of [url=http://www.algernonsdilemma.com]Algernon
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Maritza Campos on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:11 am

Chris Crosby, Jeff Darlington, Darren Bleuel, David Willis, and Howard Tayler own Kurtz any day.
Maritza Campos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:27 am

I've already respectfully declined, but that shouldn't keep anyone else from joining in. :) (I can't speak for Howard, but my buffer stands currently at six weeks (down from eight), with rough plans at least into Year Ten of the comic.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby macclint on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm

Buffer? What is this... buffer?
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby STrRedWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:41 pm

You know. You can shove more comics for future dates and the server will update them at the correct time. It's handy for being ahead and when you're doing convention tours.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Free malleting for posting CG questions on 'Spot forums! Ask them on ours instead.
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby yalborap on Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Maritza Campos wrote:Chris Crosby, Jeff Darlington, Darren Bleuel, David Willis, and Howard Tayler own Kurtz any day.

you lose the thread.
yalborap
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: behind your eyeballs, about to rip them out and escape your tiny brain

Postby Phalanx on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:15 pm

Hm... The Longest Sojourn currently has a 6 month buffer, but that's for 3 updates a week, though.

Tempting. I have no doubt my readers wouldn't mind getting more updates, but as much fun as it sounds, nah. Too many things to do. My other comic only has a 2 week buffer.

I really shouldn't bite off any more stuff. I have too much to chew already.

Pity though. Sounds fun.
The Jaded, now on Graphic Smash!
Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.

This is How NOT to Run a Comic

Webcomic Finds | Keenspace Gear
Phalanx
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Freak on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:35 pm

Maritza Campos wrote:Chris Crosby, Jeff Darlington, Darren Bleuel, David Willis, and Howard Tayler own Kurtz any day.

The other three, maybe, but with a minimum M-F, Gav's right out.
Freak
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mr. Bushido on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Updating every day isn't that hard. Hell, I manage to do it 5 days a week for no reason at all...certainly not for any sort of following, especially when I don't have one
Blue World - Coming soon
Mr. Bushido
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 am

[quote="Mr. Bushido"]Updating every day isn't that hard. Hell, I manage to do it 5 days a week for no reason at all...certainly not for any sort of following, especially when I don't have one
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby STrRedWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:29 am

Howard's out. He joined Jeff in that.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby josh l. on Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:40 pm

I made a post and deleted it, 'cause I sounded like a total douche (more than usual, I mean), but seriously, where are the handicaps? Don't artists who make a living from their comic and cut-n-paste artists have a slight advantage here? Doing 5 comics a week isn't THAT hard if you actually have time for it.
josh l.
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:23 pm

That's what comic sabotaging ninjas are for.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby TdotOdot2k on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Yeah, they have an advantage. Shame this contest came up when it did...I'm just starting to really build a bufferzone before I launch on my keenspace site T_T
Dotty wrote:I almost see those two as disgrunted DD readers. Celesto is the casual fan who snaps after enough cliffhangers and racist/dumb bad guys, and proceeds to kill them one by one. TIM is a step further. He's completely lost his mind after the SuperGreg arc and proceeds to insert himself into the comic with the goal to kill absolutely anything that moves, as it might become a secondary cast member if he leaves it alone too long.
TdotOdot2k
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gav on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:32 pm

Yeah, I could never do 5-a-week at the moment. The only reason I'm as consistent as I am is because I never bit off more than I could scribble frantically at 11:59.

Plus, very very occasionally, I do something stupid, like FTP to my account to upload advance strips before I go on vacation, but forget to actually hit the "Upload" button. :roll:

But in response to the challenge, in general, I'm afraid I don't much get the point.

No, that's not right. I mean exactly the opposite: I mean, rather, that I fully get the point, but the actual implementation doesn't seem like it's going to work.

I mean, it really isn't hard to update consistantly. Lots of people have been doing it for many many years. For some people, yes, it's impossible. But for others, anyone with a buffer (and there must be hundreds), it's a piece of cake. So a bunch of people will drop out right away, but then what? Do we have to wait 20 years for cartoonists to start dying off? Or does then the challenge simply become one of who has the more reliable server?

It's a bit like holding an underwater breathing contest for all the animals on earth, isn't it?

Besides, Steve Troop will throw things at me when the system clock on his server screws up and his site updates at 12:01 PST one day. ;)
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby mcDuffies on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:20 pm

5 a month isn't so hard if real life doesn't kick you out of the game (which is what happened to me). And if you can actually concentrate on only one comic.
mcDuffies
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby McBean on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:37 pm

Gav could really benefit from this: Say it comes down to Chris Crosby and a non keenspotter. What's to stop Gav from maybe throwing a wrench in the works for a little cut of the winnings? eh? you see where I'm going with this?
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 pm

Gav wrote:But in response to the challenge, in general, I'm afraid I don't much get the point.

No, that's not right. I mean exactly the opposite: I mean, rather, that I fully get the point, but the actual implementation doesn't seem like it's going to work.

I mean, it really isn't hard to update consistantly. Lots of people have been doing it for many many years. For some people, yes, it's impossible. But for others, anyone with a buffer (and there must be hundreds), it's a piece of cake. So a bunch of people will drop out right away, but then what? Do we have to wait 20 years for cartoonists to start dying off? Or does then the challenge simply become one of who has the more reliable server?

Well, the point is to encourage small-time webcartoonists to update regularly, since they're seriously prone to missing days or even weeks and going on sudden random hiatuses (hiatii?). Except that really isn't relevant to guys like Kurtz and Troop who already update regularly, have done so for a long time, and don't really need any additional encouragement.

Personally, I think the contest got subverted when the Big Boys joined up. It just means a bunch of small-time cartoonists will be giving $20 each to an already established cartoonist, unless there's a total upset.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Gav on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:29 pm

gwalla wrote:Well, the point is to encourage small-time webcartoonists to update regularly, since they're seriously prone to missing days or even weeks and going on sudden random hiatuses (hiatii?). Except that really isn't relevant to guys like Kurtz and Troop who already update regularly, have done so for a long time, and don't really need any additional encouragement.

Well, yeah, as I stated, I did get the point... ;)

The problem is in implementation. This contest won't end for maybe 20-30 years. I don't see "limiting it to the smaller comics" or the "less reliable comics" as any solution. That just feels artificial and I wouldn't be at all impressed. It's basically like having a real "best of" contest for all the bad singers from American Idol.

Not that I watch that show.

But a good idea with a critical problem can't be put in front of my without me offering a perfect, completely unsolicited and unwanted solution. Set a time limit. After, say, five years, the pot gets split up among whomever's left.

And I like that McBean believes I have complete control over the entire non-Keeniverse. Bwhahahahha!

Besides, it wouldn't be Chris. I would make Steve Troop win out of sheer irony. ;)
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:20 am

Chex strikes again! :lol:
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby STrRedWolf on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:43 am

Just a small bit of update and pimping: Not only Chris Crosby, Brad Guigar, Ryan Smith and Steve Troop have joined from KeenSPOT...

...but up and comming artists Jennie Breeden (The Devil's Panties), Bruce Gorr (A Day in the Life), and Matt Johnson (Cortland) have joined from KeenSPACE.

The SPACE team WILL WIN!!! BWWWWAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
... and 12 feet of tail.
STrRedWolf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mcDuffies on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 am

Gav wrote:The problem is in implementation. This contest won't end for maybe 20-30 years. I don't see "limiting it to the smaller comics" or the "less reliable comics" as any solution. That just feels artificial and I wouldn't be at all impressed. It's basically like having a real "best of" contest for all the bad singers from American Idol.

But they could've limited it to artists who don't get paid for their comics. Specially those who make a living out of it, have a strong additional mothive to update, and they definitely have more time to devote to making their comic. It's unfair to people who have another daily job to attend.

Anyway, go Cortland!
mcDuffies
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Keenspot Central