The Official Dragon*Con 2004 Discussion Thread

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

The Official Dragon*Con 2004 Discussion Thread

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:38 am

It's that time of year again, gang! Dragon*Con is rapidly approaching (Labor Day weekend, Sept. 3-6, Atlanta, GA, USA) and we're getting ready to go. The "con countdown" is up on the site, the pre-con report is up, and we're starting to make plans for what's going to happen. D*C is always our most active con presence, so we try our best to make it a big deal.

As per our usual custom, this thread will serve for the discussion of all things D*C/GPF related. You can discuss official GPF events at D*C, Faultie gatherings, and almost anything else so long as it involves D*C and/or GPF. Off-topic posts will be deleted. ("Gee, I wish I were going but I can't" posts are considered off-topic (unless you've previously been active and planning to attend, but you need to announce a last minute change), so please don't post them.)

Look for official GPF/D*C announcements to be made both here and on the pre-con report. As usual, this thread will probably get updated more quickly with news, but the pre-con report will be more organized.

Let the posting begin! :D
Last edited by jtdarlington on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby MaxJenius on Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:52 pm

Gee... I wish I were going... Wait a minute... I am going. *DOH*

In fact, this year I'm not going to be in Security, but I'll actually be running the GO games, in the board gaming area!
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aurizen_Darkstar on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:36 pm

Me and the whole family are going this year (it's our first D*C), so we hope to meet some of the Faulties there. :D
Aurizen_Darkstar
Junior Keenspotter

Postby The Roach on Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:08 pm

Jeff, when you're there -- IIRC Eugie Foster is member of the oprganizing committe. Would you tell her I said hello to her, Matt and Hobkin? And that I will get back to crittering? Thanks in advance...
--
yIn nI yISIQ 'ej yIchep
The Roach
The Roach
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kittara on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:12 am

So, are we going to try to have a dinner/lunch again this time? I unfortunately didnt get to come to last years dinner, because of my little one, but this year, she's going to be at the babysitters, instead of the con, so I'm a free woman this year. (YAY!!!!!!!) I look forward to seeing you guys again, espically since I'm a much more hardcore fan this year. Last year, I had JUST started reading GPF, so I wasnt as excited as I am this year.

~Mel
<AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
<AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
<Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
<AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
*** AgentSmith sets mode: +m
Kittara
Keenspotter Supreme

Dragon-Con Plans

Postby Unit Squared on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:24 am

I'll be there again this year, probably spending almost all my time at the GPF table. And I will be in costume again this year. Who am I going as? That's a secret for now, but my statement last year concerning going as Sharon is looking better and better . . . :D

Kittara wrote:So, are we going to try to have a dinner/lunch again this time?

I'm up for it. We went to Steak and Ale last year . . . maybe we could give hibachi a shot this year.
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kmd on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:40 am

Mmmmm....Hibatchi....

I'm going to have either some Andes mint cookies or some homemade truffles over at the GPF booth. So be sure and come by there when you first hit the con, because between Bill, Jeff , Gneech and other fans, I doubt they will last long!

Can't wait to see everyone! :D
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby MaxJenius on Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:33 am

I vote we actually make some reservations this year. ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:49 am

I vote that someone sends me a reservation and a plane ticket. :P

Actually, I'll be there in spirit, or hosting Unit's body... take your pick. ;)
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kittara on Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:57 am

Will you have any Fred Plushies for sale?
<AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
<AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
<Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
<AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
*** AgentSmith sets mode: +m
Kittara
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Unit Squared wrote:... my statement last year concerning going as Sharon is looking better and better...

Okay, now I'm officially scared. :)

Kittara wrote:So, are we going to try to have a dinner/lunch again this time?

It's certainly fine by me, but we need to decide things in advance if at all possible and, as Max pointed out, we really need to make reservations if we can. The local resturaunts fill up fast during meal times, so the further we plan in advance, the better. Benihana is fine with me (passable, if not the best, hibachi); there's also a pretty good Mexican/TexMex place IIRC, as well as the ol' stand-by of Steak & Ale. I'm sure locals could suggest other options.

Of course, the real hitch in that plan is it's hard to tell what's the best time to do things until we get there. Most folks won't know what they'll be doing until they get the printed schedule at the con. Thus, it's hard to pick a time now and stick with it. Hopefully D*C will have the online version of the schedule up before too long, and we'll all have a rough idea of what we're interested in going to and what times we'll be available.

Also, communicating the decision will be rough. We tried to organize things here on the forum last year, but lots of people didn't have access to the 'Net while at the con and missed the announcement. Unfortunately, aside from that and announcing it at the table to passers-by, I can't think of another way to do it.

Um, and I should also point out that the individual who ended up paying for dinner last year most likely will not be able to treat everyone again this year. So plan accordingly. :)

Kittara wrote:Will you have any Fred Plushies for sale?

If all goes well, yes. I've talked with Keenspot, and if they can ship some to me before I leave, I'll have them. If that falls through, though, I'll try to announce it as such and I'd suggest you order them through Keenspot's online store before you leave (assuming you want them signed). (Of course, I'll have to find the best way to "sign" a slime mold... I touch the pen to the cytoplasm, and it just seem to sink in and get digested....)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Dinner Reversal

Postby Unit Squared on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:32 pm

jtdarlington wrote:Um, and I should also point out that the individual who ended up paying for dinner last year most likely will not be able to treat everyone again this year. So plan accordingly. :)

It'll be the other way around this year if I have anything to say about it. ;)
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:26 am

Certainly. I agree with Unit here.

I know of some great places, but they are a bit a ways away from the con.

Hmmm... Yano, the Greasy V (The Varsity) might be a good place. ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:56 am

I think any place within walking distance is fine, and maybe stretching it to a short MARTA ride could be acceptable. But anywhere that requires a drive should be out, as some people won't have transportation (and I know I'm sure as heck not going to move my car until time to leave). I think we should also keep it relatively family-friendly (i.e., no bars), since I'd like folks of all ages to be able to attend.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby MaxJenius on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:28 am

Oh, okay... I'll cancel that limo. ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:02 pm

Well, if you're paying for everyone's ride.... :D
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:06 am

There's now a new option in the GPF Store called "local pickup" or "pickup at the con" (can't remember which). If you choose this option, we'll reserve the items you order, then bring them with us to Dragon*Con. Then you can come to Artists' Alley, present some form of ID, and we'll exchange cash for merchandise. While we'll have some general items like T-shirts with us at the table, this will be the only way you can purchase custom-made items (like prints) while at the con.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:34 am

New item to discuss: A while back, I half-jokingly, half-seriously talked about auctioning off my old college machine, Pandora (the inspiration for this comic). The whole idea was primarily to clear the rather large space in the office that her full-tower case occupies while making a tiny bit of quick cash on the side. I don't use this machine for anything anymore mostly because of its age (I'll give the vital stats in a bit), so it's a waste of valuable space in an already cluttered room.

Well, I never went through with the auction, mostly because I've been uncertain of how to ship the darn thing to whoever won the auction. My guess is that the shipping alone would be more than what the machine would go for in the auction, and that's just the CPU; last I heard, there was no interest in the accompanying monitor and/or dot-matrix printer. So I've held off on this, dragged my feet, and otherwise largely forgot about the whole thing... until last night.

kmd and I had some old friends over to visit this week (we were their mid-way layover in their move from Tampa, FL, to Syracuse, NY), and the topic of the auction of Pandora came up. Someone suggested that I bring Pandora to Dragon*Con and hold the auction there. Since we're driving to Atlanta anyway, we won't have to pay for shipping, and I'll assume no one will bid on the thing if they don't have a way to transport it back home anyway. This unfortunately limits the number of potential bidders, because I know not everyone who may be interested in bidding will be able to reach the con. But it certainly clears up a lot of problems that held me back from holding the auction.

So what do you guys think? Is anyone (aside from Unit, whose answer I already know what it is :D ) potentially interested? I assure you, there's very little practical use for this machine now aside from perhaps making it a hardware network gateway (and even then you'll need to add in a couple ISA NICs first (that's right, this is pre-PCI)). The only real value in this machine is the fact that (a) it was owned by me and (b) the very first GPF comics were probably generated on this machine.

The details of the auction will eventually have to be worked out, but I figure it will be some sort of silent auction, with the winner being determined perhaps at the prerequisite Webcomics panel. Those details can be hashed out later, once it's decided if there actually will be an auction.

The vital stats: AMD 486 100MHz generic PC, 32MB RAM, approximately 3GB HD (across two disks), 4x CD-ROM, generic VESA video card with a whopping 1MB of video RAM. The main HD is a little flakey and requires that the system warm up first before it will actually run (it will report a "hard drive not found" error at first, but after a few minutes it can be rebooted and will boot normally). The parallel port doesn't stay in place and will fall inside the case, so the only way to hook a printer up to it is to open the case and push the DB-25 from the inside while pushing the cable on from the outside (but it does work). Currently, it has Red Hat 7.1 installed, but I'll wipe the drives and install Fedora Core 1 before giving it away. I can also sign the case if so desired, and earlier talks had me putting all the GPF comics from the beginning up to the auction date on the HD as a bonus (not the high-res originals, but at least the High-Def versions).
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:58 am

Must....possess...unit...to.... possess...pandora.....
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby inspiration on Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 am

Pandora will be mine. Oh yes.
inspiration
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:42 am

The 2004 schedule is now up! (Note: This is a PDF file, not HTML, so you'll need Acrobat or a similar reader.) Now here's the biggest problem... so far, I can't find any panels or events having to do with online comics. I could have easily just missed it as I've only scanned the grid, but I didn't see anything in the Comics programming track or in the multi-purpose rooms ("various"). I'll keep looking, and I'd appreciate it if others might do the same, just to make sure.

If it's true that there aren't any online comics events, then I suppose I'll be easy to find. :-? As usual, my default location will be the table in Artists' Alley. I might try and slip out and see a few stars (epecially Peter Davidson) and panels (I've always wanted to attend some of the EFF track events). But my main goal is to be somewhere where you guys can find me. I'm going to be available to the fans above everything else.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:21 am

The Dinner: Okay... my current suggestion for a time for our official unofficial dinner gathering is 7PM on Saturday, 9/4. The main thing that seems to conflict with is the Awards Banquet, and to be honest, I'm not sure how many people are actually interested in attending that. (I've never been, so I wouldn't know.) My second suggestion would be 7PM on Sunday, 9/5. Again, not much to compete with from I can see.

As to where: Well, my two big suggestions would be Benihana or Steak & Ale, mostly because I know where those are. :) Again, if there are more suggestions, let's hear them. I'd really like to decide something in advance, so we can try and make reservations so we won't have to wait forever and a day like we did last year.

Fred plush dolls: At this point, we will NOT have any dolls with us. Sorry. Long story short, the dolls are kind of lost at the moment, buried somewhere in the mass of stuff Keen had to transport in their move from California to South Dakota. If they find them before I have to leave, then I'll bring them, but at this point, don't count on it.

Pandora: I can see there's at least some interest in the auction, so I'll try and get her prepped. I can't get to her at the moment without disturbing kmd (who works out of our home and is currently on the clock), so I'll see about freeing her from her corner this weekend and firing her up one last time.

Art raffle: I've managed to get Pete Abrams, Bill Holbrook, and possibly John "the Gneech" Robey in on the art raffle this year. The skinny: If you buy anything from the four of us during the weekend, you'll be given a ticket and will be entered into a raffle. At some designated time, we'll draw the winners and they will receive some exclusive original art from one of us. I'm not sure when the drawing will be, but I'll try and find out before we get there.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:14 am

Ack... one of these days, I'll get my thoughts collected and make updates all at once. Another announcement: Dragon*Con will mark the debut of the GPFConCam, a new way to get the ultimate virtual con experience. Who knows, you guys could very well end up in a video clip on the GPF site. ;) Check the link for all the details. I'll be making another announcement in Monday's news update.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

More Con Thoughts

Postby Unit Squared on Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:37 pm

Limax wrote:Must....possess...unit...to.... possess...pandora.....

Unit Squared checks his bank account balance

Hmmmm . . . own Pandora or eat nothing but ramen for a month. Decisions, decisions . . .

jtdarlington wrote:Ack... one of these days, I'll get my thoughts collected and make updates all at once. Another announcement: Dragon*Con will mark the debut of the GPFConCam, a new way to get the ultimate virtual con experience.

I'm suddenly rethinking my decision to go as Sharon. Dressing up as her to freak out Jeff is one thing, but freaking out other Faulties? I need to check my evil quotient and see if I have extra points available for that. :D
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:28 pm

Art Raffle Update: Well, I just spent most of my day going to the eye doctor, as well as working on this:

This is my entry for the art raffle at the table this year. As mentioned above, you buy something from the table, you're entered into the raffle. I haven't seen any of the other guys' entries yet, but I can wait to. :)

Oh, and for those who can't make it to the con (or who don't get the original in the raffle), the print is already available in the Store.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Next

Return to General Protection Fault