Auctions for GPF original strip art

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Would you be interested in GPF original strip art auctions?

Yes, and I would prefer EBay auctions
75%
Yes, and I would prefer Keenspot's auctions
7%
Yes, and I would prefer another auction site
4%
No, I am not interested
14%

Total votes : 28

Auctions for GPF original strip art

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:28 am

Hey, gang. Just putting out a feeler here for an idea I've been thinking on. Looking at the success that Pete Abrams and some other artists have had doing the same thing, I've been mulling over auctioning off some of the original artwork to select GPF strips. Since I keep high-resolution digital versions of all the strips, the originals really don't do anything else but take up space, and I know there's more than a few of you who would actually want the art for an actual strip instead of a random con sketch or something similar.

The biggest questions, I suppose, are (a) are people really interested in such a thing, and (b) what's the best way to go about it? Question A is easy enough; if you're interested, pick one of the options above and submit it to the poll. Before anyone complains "I'd love to, but I can't afford it," if you really can't afford it, just pick the option you'd choose if you did have the money to splurge.

The other option is a little trickier. At one point, I was terrified of the prospect of using EBay, mostly because I thought the fees for sellers would be so ridiculously high that it wouldn't be worth the trouble. However, I actually went combing through EBay's FAQs recently and did the math, and found out that the fees aren't really that bad. By contrast, Keenspot actually has its own auction site. (Never heard of it? You wouldn't be the first.) I'm sure Keen would prefer I use their site, and I've used it before, but it may be less secure and has been known to be flakey at times. Plus, Keenspot's proposed fee for using the site is higher than EBay's, but if the item doesn't sell Keen won't charge me a listing fee like EBay will.

Personally, I'm heavily leaning toward EBay. I'm not entirely sure why I'm even asking about the Keen auction, but I know there could be people who don't trust EBay and would prefer to go somewhere else. (Then again, I read this week that EBay is one of the most trusted companies online with people's personal information, so go figure.) So take your pick. If you would rather use a different, third-party site for auctions, make sure to specify it in a post.

Just some additional info on the originals: Most original strips are drawn on 9" x 12" Bristol board turned in a landscape orientation. The originals contain only the original pencil and ink line art, as all the coloring and shading is done on the computer. Most do not have the text inked (makes it easier for me to put the text in digitally), but I can go back and fill that in by hand before putting them up for auction. Sundays have one strip per page, but Monday through Saturday usually have two strips per page. I haven't decided whether I will auction the page uncut (two strips together) or cut (separate the strips and sell them individually). I will most likely include a gray scale or color print of the finished strip along with the original, and perhaps some sort of certificate of authenticity. Reserve prices will probably be at least $25 per item, with the option of raising that somewhat for strips I anticipate to be very popular.
Last edited by jtdarlington on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Yankeebabe on Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:43 am

I was looking at a recent It's Walky! auction and he got about $325 dollars from a picture drawn of the cast. I think it's a great idea and I would deff bid... :)
Yankeebabe
Keenspotter Supreme

Original GPF Art

Postby Unit Squared on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:21 am

Unit Squared envisions a room filled wall-to-wall with GPF original prints.

*drool*

Once reality reasserts itself, I probably could only afford to buy one, but I'd definitely be interested in such an auction. Would you post them on a request basis, or will you be posting them in order or at random? I think a request basis works best since it cuts costs for reposting auctions and guarantees a sale (in theory, at least), but that's just my take on it. ;)
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Yankeebabe on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:28 am

I'm with Unit, I don't have all that much money, but I do want to get one. But since it does cost money to post one on ebay, what if you were to pick 3 or 4 of the favorites and take a poll on that, on what people liked the most?
Yankeebabe
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:44 am

Unit Squared wrote:Would you post them on a request basis, or will you be posting them in order or at random?

That's a good question, and I don't have a good answer for it yet. I might throw together a poll script, then put a link on each archive page that says something along the lines of "Vote for this strip as your favorite GPF strip of all time!" or somesuch. Then I could collect those votes and find out what strips are the most popular. (I can take a wild guess at a few, but this would be a lot more helpful.) Then I could choose the most popular ones (minus any that I'd want to keep for other reasons) and put those up for auction.

The request basis does kind of guarantee at least one person is interested in a given strip, but it may not guarantee the best return (i.e., it may be only that one person is interested in that particular strip). I don't know... I'll give this some thought, Unit.

Yankeebabe wrote:But since it does cost money to post one on ebay, what if you were to pick 3 or 4 of the favorites and take a poll on that, on what people liked the most?

Just the clarify, the insertion fee for something like this would only be about $1.20 and the reserve price fee is $1 (and is refundable if the item sells). So if it doesn't sell, I'm out a whopping $2.20. Not a big deal. If it does sell, I get the reserve price back and pay a percentage of the final price, which is less than 10%, which also isn't bad. So I'm not worried about the fees anymore. But making sure I pick something that people are interested in does help minimize the risk, however small it may be. :)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Allanon on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:22 am

Question: Will the strips be autographed?

Comment then another question/suggestion: What would really be cool (and what I'd love to do if/when I get one of the strips) is this...

I'd take the original pencil strip, match it up with the final version (color would be my choice, if possible)...maybe with a matting or two...and frame them both in the same frame for display.

Any chance of getting them this way?

I know the price would be higher this way and I know not all the final strips are in color (yet, grin), but it would sure be a great piece for display.

Thanks!
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:31 pm

Allanon wrote:Question: Will the strips be autographed?

Well, most of the originals (minus the occasional one where I forget) have the original signatures that appear in the strips, so technically they're already autographed. But I can add a personalized autograph if the winner wanted one.

Allanon wrote:I'd take the original pencil strip, match it up with the final version (color would be my choice, if possible)...maybe with a matting or two...and frame them both in the same frame for display.

Any chance of getting them this way?

I'd love for someone to do this to one of my strips; I can't think of a higher honor to have one my works framed and mounted on somebody's wall. But I don't think I'd want to actually auction them off that way. First of all, it increases my up-front costs (paying for the custom matting and framing) and the reserve price (to cover those costs), which might actually make it harder to sell. Then I'd be concerned about shipping, which I'm sure will be a pain and quite expensive if we'd expect the glass to arrive intact. I think it would be better to offer the artwork as-is and let the buyer decide to matte and frame it if that's their desire.

I will point out, though, that I mentioned in the first post that I'll most likely include a print of the finished strip, like you suggested. However, I have no plans of going back and colorizing any strip that was originally grayscale; grayscale strips will come with grayscale prints, and color strips will come with color prints.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Allanon on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:01 am

jtdarlington wrote:I'd love for someone to do this to one of my strips; I can't think of a higher honor to have one my works framed and mounted on somebody's wall.

Not to put pressure on you then, but get some of that stuff up on eBay then...I need something other than movie posters on the walls at my new house... ;-)

jtdarlington wrote:But I don't think I'd want to actually auction them off that way. First of all, it increases my up-front costs (paying for the custom matting and framing) and the reserve price (to cover those costs), which might actually make it harder to sell. Then I'd be concerned about shipping, which I'm sure will be a pain and quite expensive if we'd expect the glass to arrive intact. I think it would be better to offer the artwork as-is and let the buyer decide to matte and frame it if that's their desire.

True, shipping would be a b!tch and much more expensive with them already framed. And considering the issues with the Fred print, I can understand... :o

jtdarlington wrote:However, I have no plans of going back and colorizing any strip that was originally grayscale; grayscale strips will come with grayscale prints, and color strips will come with color prints.

Damn, I knew that would be the answer but I had to try... ;-)

Sitting in the corner quietly waiting for the eBay announcement...
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:58 pm

Okay, I've spent some time over the past few days and have coded the Favorite Strip Voting Poll. At the moment, it's considered to be somewhat beta, which is why I'm letting you boardies take the first crack at it. (There's the chance I might have to reset the database if something goes wrong, but I'll try to keep the "beta" votes intact.) To submit a vote, select the date of the strip using the drop-down boxes and submit. It will then display the strip, and you can click the confirmation link to finalize your vote. (Eventually, there will be a link on every archive page that points to this script, so by clicking the link you'll automatically get to the confirmation page.)

Make sure to check out the poll rules, and you can keep tabs on the current rankings as you go. Keep in mind that these votes don't determine which originals get auctioned off, but in what order they might be auctioned off. All originals may be available of auction eventually, save for a few I plan to hold on to. (Don't expect the November 2, 1998 strip to up for grabs.) I'm going to assume that the June 18th strip is automatically going up for auction, since so many people are interested in it.

The script leaves beta phase and goes live as soon as I announce it on the main site.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Allanon on Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:21 am

Getting into my "mock ire" mode...

What, how dare you force me to go through the archives yet again!...Another Saturday down the drain!... :lol:

Off to place my votes...
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Allanon on Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:03 pm

I think someone has been doing a little ballot stuffing...I mean this is an OK strip, but 76 (at this time) votes?
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Yankeebabe on Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:52 pm

Yeah, I agree...
Yankeebabe
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby fossil on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:57 pm

Allanon wrote:I think someone has been doing a little ballot stuffing...I mean this is an OK strip, but 76 (at this time) votes?

Make that 77, and thanks for saving me the time and effort of looking up the link. That strip has got to be one of the best pieces of geek humor ever, and no surprise that it's the frontrunner.

I first found GPF by following a link from a Usenet group (alt.sysadmin.recovery, if anyone is interested) to the "barely verbal" strip, which was good enough to get me to click the "Today" link in the archives, which landed me in the middle of C.R.U.D.E.'s ultimatum, which confused me so completely that I went back to the beginning of the archives and started reading from scratch, and when I got to the abovementioned strip, I knew I was hooked.

What good would Chicago-style voting ("early and often" ;-) ) do, anyway? Maybe ensure that one's own personal favorite would become available for an eBay auction, but that would be about all.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Yankeebabe on Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:20 am

Make that 113?
Yankeebabe
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Allanon on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:00 am

fossil wrote:What good would Chicago-style voting ("early and often" ;-) ) do, anyway? Maybe ensure that one's own personal favorite would become available for an eBay auction, but that would be about all.

It was just a little surprising to me that that strip went from zero votes just hours before to the 76 quantity of early yesterday...where it sat for many more hours. Then last night made another 'jump' to its current level.

Maybe I've just watched too much X-Files over the years. :o
Last edited by Allanon on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:07 am

Hrm... It could be ballot stuffing, but then again, that strip is one of my personal favorites, and I always had the feeling it was one of the most popular strips. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think I'll let it stand for now. If I see any evidence to the contrary, I'll see about adjusting it.

BTW, as the poll rules and news post stated, it ultimately doesn't matter which strip "wins." All this poll does is give me a general idea which strips are the most popular, so I have an idea which ones to try auctioning off first. Almost every strip will have a chance at the auction (aside from a few I plan to keep).
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby regal on Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:27 pm

I'm a bit late to this thread, but yes, I would be interested in original GPF art if one comes up that I like.

You mentioned the Fred print problem so I know you already know this, but make sure any artwork is *very* well protected for mailing. The post office has a squad of trained gorillas whose only job is to find and bend artwork.
regal
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kittara on Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:06 am

So whats going on with this? I want to spend money on original artwork!
<AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
<AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
<Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
<AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
*** AgentSmith sets mode: +m
Kittara
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:16 am

Sorry, Kittara. As mentioned in the August 2 news post, I'm almost ready to go. I just need to start creating and posting the auctions. There's a part of me that's wanting to wait until after Dragon*Con to start this, but there's at least a good week in there I could be using to auction. The final results of the poll are up so you can see them, and the top 25 favorites will be auctioned off in the approximate order listed there. (The big exception is the 6/18/2004 strip, which as promised will be auctioned off first even though it came in at second place.) I'll try to have the first auction up on Monday August 23rd.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Kittara on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:13 pm

*blushes* I wasnt rushing you..

just excited is all. I was worried that I was gonna miss that first auction, as I want so badly to own it.

~Mel
<AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
<AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
<Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
<AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
*** AgentSmith sets mode: +m
Kittara
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:02 pm

No, I'm not resurrecting a dead thread, but reviving one put into suspended animation. ;)

After much embarrassing lateness, the first original art auction is finally up! This is the original line art for the June 18, 2004 strip, where Fooker and Sharon are finally reunited during [url=http://www.gpf-comics.com/d/20040502.html]"Rendez-Vous
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby regal on Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm

I'm afraid you nailed it. I doubt these are going to go cheap, and with holiday expenses about to begin, now I can't afford to bid much. :(

Oh well, maybe one I like won't come up until after Christmas.
regal
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shadowydreamer on Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:36 pm

Suggestion for next time.. :) Include a print out of the one you ran, signed or dedicated to the winner. The original is neato-peachy-keen but framed on the wall they look even better with what the final product turned out to be. :)

ANd I get paid on Wednesday.. Mouahaha!

-Shady.
The adventures of an evil rabbit and his penguin companion.
http://www.tuxandbunny.com
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby jonaso on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:04 am

Shadowydreamer wrote:Suggestion for next time.. :) Include a print out of the one you ran, signed or dedicated to the winner. The original is neato-peachy-keen but framed on the wall they look even better with what the final product turned out to be. :)

I'll second that. Framed with the original artwork together with the final product. That would look really awesome :)
jonaso
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:07 am

A couple of quick corrections:

As mentioned in the first post in this thread, each original will come with a print of the final strip. I forgot to include that in the auction description. I'll see if I can add that in, if eBay will let me.

The artwork will not be framed. That's an exercise left up to the winner. See this post (also further up this thread) for the reason why.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Next

Return to General Protection Fault