Jeff's Birthday OF DOOM is Here!!!!

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Jeff's Birthday OF DOOM is Here!!!!

Postby kmd on Wed May 12, 2004 8:03 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that a certain cartoonist is about to turn thirty. That's right. The big 3-0. On May 25th, to be exact.

I think one of the best birthday gifts he could receive is an outpouring of support from his fans. So, a donation to the tip jar, buying a book from Plan 9 or a purchase from the GPF Storewould be great ways to show your appreciation to Jeff. I know some of you are "financially challeneged", so other ways to show Jeff some love are by creating some fan art, sending him an e-mail, or just by telling other people about the comic. I also want to mention that GPF has a PO box, if any of you would like to send him a birthday card.

PO Box 13
Gibsonville, NC 27249

Jeff is one of the hardest working cartoonists in webcomics today. For his birthday, let's make him know how much we appreciate all the effort he puts into the comic for us to enjoy.
Last edited by kmd on Tue May 25, 2004 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Wed May 12, 2004 8:20 am

And remember people... his age will now be divisible by 6.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby stjen on Wed May 12, 2004 8:29 pm

There's also the infamous saying "Don't trust anyone over 29". (Although, the moment I turned 30, it became "Don't trust anyone over 39", and so on...)

On the other hand, he's an Evil :evil: Cartoonist (R)(TM), so we're not supposed to trust him anyway....
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lady_Phoenix on Thu May 13, 2004 12:02 pm

I didn't realize he was so young! Kudos on such a successful comic at such a young age!

(Man, I feel old now.)
Take care,
Theresa

Rising from the ashes of her past...

Avatar supplied courtesy and permission of http://rydia.net/tangerine
Lady_Phoenix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Thu May 13, 2004 1:22 pm

wow - i also am seriously impressed!

i _would_ send in fan art...but he would probably wonder what demented child was sending in crayon scribbles....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Thu May 13, 2004 1:26 pm

mouse wrote:i _would_ send in fan art...but he would probably wonder what demented child was sending in crayon scribbles....

That's why I'm thinking of having my daughter do a picture. She's a better artist than me. :P
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby UGA Agent 4 on Thu May 13, 2004 3:02 pm

Happy Birthday, Jeff! Hope you have a good one! :D
"Agent four, for the last time, what is your real name?"
"If I told you that... I'm afraid I'd have to kill you... or maybe just beat you up a bit..."
UGA Agent 4
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shadowydreamer on Thu May 13, 2004 3:41 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who's saying 30 is young. *grin*

Happy Birthday Jeff! I will try and think of something creative to send you. *evil little grin*

-Shady.
The adventures of an evil rabbit and his penguin companion.
http://www.tuxandbunny.com
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby blondeGeek? on Sun May 16, 2004 7:23 am

I might just have to organize a LAN party, invite my faultie friends over, and make a cake in Jeff's honor!!! If I have time to pull it off, I'll be sure to take pics!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEFF!!!
Geek Girls Rock!
blondeGeek?
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WinterWolf on Mon May 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Crud! And other g-rated expletives. Apparently you can't buy these anywhere. I hate it when my plans are thwarted by harsh reality.

<raises cold Mt. Dew>
Happy Birthday Jeff. Thank you for a wonderful, evil, addicting webcomic. May you frustrate your readers for years to come.
</cheers>
...or I could be completely wrong
WinterWolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Amethyst Shadow on Wed May 19, 2004 5:23 am

Go Jeff. Go Jeff. It's ya birthday (well almost) :D
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less" -- Dega Disciple

The media and fashion industry's view of the ideal female body is garbage. I like my women with curves, not angles.
Amethyst Shadow
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Steve Rogers on Wed May 19, 2004 9:46 am

Well, Happy Birthday! (a tad early)
Steve Rogers
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mobilene on Mon May 24, 2004 5:27 am

Just thought I'd share the best big-3-0 zing. On my 30th birthday, my wife sent to my workplace a HUGE funeral arrangement, on an easel, with the word "Youth" written in gold letters across a big black ribbon. Not only did that thing have to sit outside my cube all day, I had to carry it all the way through the cube farm, down the elevator, and out the door to my car. People thought it was absolutely hilarious. I had just started at that company a few months before and I thought I was going to get away with nobody knowing when my birthday was. Shee!
mobilene
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Amethyst Shadow on Mon May 24, 2004 6:03 am

mobilene wrote:Just thought I'd share the best big-3-0 zing. On my 30th birthday, my wife sent to my workplace a HUGE funeral arrangement, on an easel, with the word "Youth" written in gold letters across a big black ribbon. Not only did that thing have to sit outside my cube all day, I had to carry it all the way through the cube farm, down the elevator, and out the door to my car. People thought it was absolutely hilarious. I had just started at that company a few months before and I thought I was going to get away with nobody knowing when my birthday was. Shee!

Man that's priceless :)
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less" -- Dega Disciple

The media and fashion industry's view of the ideal female body is garbage. I like my women with curves, not angles.
Amethyst Shadow
Keenspot Juggernaut

Have a GREAT day!!

Postby cyberwood on Tue May 25, 2004 4:57 am

Hope your day is the best.

Gaylene
cyberwood
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ingonyama on Tue May 25, 2004 6:09 pm

Happy 30th, Jeff. Yer only as old as ya feel.

Take me. I'm 21 and already feel 40. Mostly thanks to the Dominic Deegan crowd, but anyway...Fantastic stuff, man. Keep it up!
Soul belongs to Mookie and Cape. DD, leetspeak, and cornbread.
Allegiance belongs to Jiyu. Cookies!
Heart belongs to my boyfriend. So nyah.

Current Avatar: Szark looking pervy.

Chosen Because: I still <3 him.

Caption: How can you hate someone this pretty? (Copyright Mookie, I didn't do it, etc.)
Ingonyama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sillyname99 on Tue May 25, 2004 9:03 pm

Well, technically I blew it, since it's 1am eastern, but is watching The Return of the King tonight a good excuse?

Belated Birthday Wishes for Happiness Always!
Embrace Change
sillyname99
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shadowydreamer on Tue May 25, 2004 10:32 pm

Jeff's not evil, he just draws that way!

Happy Birthday Jeff, may you forever be a year and a half older than me so I can always feel young. ^_^

-Shady.
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Wed May 26, 2004 6:15 am

Shadowydreamer wrote:Happy Birthday Jeff, may you forever be a year and a half older than me so I can always feel young. ^_^

Bah. Stand still so that I can hit you with my cane!
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jtdarlington on Thu May 27, 2004 6:57 am

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. I had a great birthday: low key, not much hype, a quiet dinner out with my wife, and spending most of the day working on comic strips. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. :)

If anyone's curious, my wife got me a very nice professional quality tripod for our digital camera and camcorder. It's one of the few things I actually asked for, but I didn't really expect anyone to get it because I thought it was too expensive. My in-laws sent me a DVD, and unfortunately we haven't been back to West Virginia in a few months, so I have no idea what my parents and sister bought me. (Fortunately, I'm patient and all I really expect is the love of my family, so gifts aren't necessary and can certainly wait.)

kmd then took me to one of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants, The Melting Pot. While there, she presented me with my best present, which you can see here:

This is a polymer clay figurine created by Lanin Thomasma of 'N'Toonz from a sketch I once did of Nick and Ki dancing. (PREMIUM subscribers can see the original sketch in the Sketchbook here.) I was completely floored by it, both because it was thoughtful, unexpected, and especially by the quality of the craftmanship. I'm so impressed, in fact, that I've already contacted Mr. Thomasma to see if we can strike a deal similar to what Steve Troop of Melonpool has and have him create exclusive GPF figurines on demand for you guys. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'd definitely like to hear from you guys if you're interested. (I'll probably start a new thread about this later for feedback.)

Anyhoo, I had a great day yesterday, even if I did finish another decade of life. I figure I've got several more decades to go, God willing, and hopefully a lot more comics to draw. So thanks again, everyone.
Last edited by jtdarlington on Sun May 30, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Limax on Thu May 27, 2004 7:01 am

Wow. :o I am also floored by the workmanship.

I'm glad to hear you had a good birthday, Jeff! Odd that you receive no 'geek gifts' this year.... could it have something to do with your age? ;)

(Although I did receive some on mine this year.... which is actually unusual)
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jtdarlington on Thu May 27, 2004 7:14 am

I wouldn't say I didn't get any "geek gifts." Ever since I got the DVD burner for Christmas and the digital camcorder a few months ago, I've definitely been bitten by the cinematography bug. So the tripod will definitely get put to use (and probably in connection with the strip as well <wink-wink, nudge-nudge>). And of the two DVDs we got (one was a gift, the other we just couldn't wait any longer so we bought it anyway), I wouldn't call Return of the King and Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas not geeky.

Of course, I'll also admit that I really didn't give anyone any good ideas for gifts this year. I couldn't think of any technology that really needed upgraded or replaced (at least, not within gift-giving price ranges), there aren't any movies out on DVD that I just couldn't wait to have (well, excpet ROTK), and I couldn't think of any PC games that I really wanted (Doom 3 still isn't out yet). I know I've been frustrating all of my relatives for the past several years because every gift-giving season I either can't come up with a good list or everything I come up with is too expensive for me to buy on my own.

So I'm pretty satisfied with what I have received, whether or not it was geeky. But I think I can but enough of a geek spin on anything to make it geeky enough. :D
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Shadowydreamer on Thu May 27, 2004 8:57 am

I'm lucky, every year my dad pays up to $400 in car (truck now) repairs for my birthday and that's my present. I think I'm lucky that my vehicles consistantly choose to go kaput in August and September.

That minature is amazing Jeff. I can't see any Faultie who wouldn't want one. (Heck, my desk isn't nearly cluttered enough and Morrigan could always use the company..)

Glad your birthday was an awesome one and you got toys to play with and giggle over. ^_^

-Shady.
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Thu May 27, 2004 9:12 am

Shadowydreamer wrote:That minature is amazing Jeff. I can't see any Faultie who wouldn't want one. (Heck, my desk isn't nearly cluttered enough and Morrigan could always use the company..)

And in my case, Fred's looking a little lonely.... Of course, he does have my brain to play with...
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Thu May 27, 2004 2:07 pm

wow - the miniature is really excellent! i won't put myself in the pool of 'will buy' (because lately everytime i look anywhere in my house, my first thought is "i've got to throw half of this away") - but i expect it (or similar figures of other cast members) would be popular.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to General Protection Fault