The Cookie Thread

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

The Cookie Thread

Postby kmd on Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:28 pm

[EDIT BY JEFF: This thread was split from the Umm... thread because it was swerving quite a bit off-topic. First off, Shadowydreamer had in one of her replies:

Shadowydreamer wrote:However, I have the recipe for Jeff's true weakness (KMD shared! ^_^ ) so I'm sure with enough bribery..

To which I replied:

jtdarlington wrote:You have kmd in a sexy red dress like the one Ki was wearing last week? ;)

And she subsequently replied:

Shadowydreamer wrote:No, I have better! (Riiiight..) I have uber good cookies! .. and .. uhm.. they'll be served by kmd in a slinkly black dress?

This broke loose a whole mess of cookie-related post munching, spreading crumbs everywhere. So I decided to split the thread, so all the cookie crumbs could be confined to a single tablecloth. We now return you to the thread currently in progress.]

Sorry, I know I'm going OT here, but I just gotta know...

Shady, have you had a chance to make those cookies yet? They're so yummy! I'm going to bake a batch here in the next couple weeks for a church bake sale, so I know Jeff will be getting a few cookies soon. Though I doubt I'll be wearing a sexy dress of any color. Probably more like a ratty old t-shirt, so I can get flour all over it and not worry.

Oops. Didn't mean to kill the fantasy there. Ummm... I'll be wearing the t-shirt to bake the cookies, of course. Then I'll be slipping into something slinky and revealing to serve them to Jeff. Yeah. With a big glass of cold milk. :wink:
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Shadowydreamer on Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:59 pm

Let's hope he's not lactose intolerant.. ^_^

Actually, I haven't.. Between all the home woes (my furnace broke this morning) I've been so broke I haven't been able to justify buying the ingrediants. (Isn't that SO sad?!)

I'm about to employ my secret plan.. Do a 3 times a week anime comic that doesn't update regularly and whine about my art and demand donations. I should be rich by the end of the week.. .. .. Oh, nevermind, I'd have Bunny in the comic by the end of the first week. >_<

-Shady.
The adventures of an evil rabbit and his penguin companion.
http://www.tuxandbunny.com
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:13 pm

you know, if you guys keep talking about delicious cookies, i may need to invoke the 'share the recipe' rule....either that, or you will have to do a mass mailing of actual cookies.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby fossil on Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:41 pm

mouse wrote:you know, if you guys keep talking about delicious cookies, i may need to invoke the 'share the recipe' rule....either that, or you will have to do a mass mailing of actual cookies.

Ooh! Ooh! Share and enjoy!! ;-)
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WinterWolf on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:04 am

Screw the cookies, I want the pix.

wait, was that my out loud voice?
...or I could be completely wrong
WinterWolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rombobj on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:33 am

fossil wrote:Ooh! Ooh! Share and enjoy!! ;-)

If you use that phrase you'll get some inedible stuff that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike cookies.
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby algdil on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:53 am

Ohh...

How about some fresh-baked cookies and, uh...

FLUX?!?!!?!!

:wink:

Okay, maybe not.

Flux would probably ruin the atmosphere.

Jim
algdil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kmd on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:08 am

algdil, you would sooo get along with my RL friends. We're currently planning a Saturday Fluxx game, and it'll be potluck! They already know who will be bringing dessert. :)

*quietly ignores WinterWolf while slipping him a cookie behind the back*
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby algdil on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:25 am

I've had the cards for nearly two months now, and the only person I've gotten to play is my Mom -- just one time: she beat me all three hands (having never played before).

I told you it would be a waste for me to get a deck. Maybe the spiders and mosquitos will play a few hands with me. They're the only consistent company I have.

And, as I don't bake -- don't get me started on the cookies, too.

Nor the slinky, red dress.

No flux players, no cookies and no red dress. (Although, it's probably a good thing that I don't have a red dress -- or any dress for that matter.) :wink:

P.S. This thing about Dexter dating sounded awfully familiar when it popped up in the strip just now. That was until I realized that I'd heard Jeff talking about doing it when we were at Ubercon III. For a minute there, I thought I was suffering from some deja vu.

Jim
algdil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby WinterWolf on Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:08 pm

(munch, chew) Fluxx Rocks! (gulp, wag wag wag)
...or I could be completely wrong
WinterWolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:57 pm

[quote="Rombobj
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Shadowydreamer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:21 pm

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to spill the chips and post it publicly. ^_^; KMD passed it to me, so I'll allow her to pass it along or not at her discretion. It may be a family secret! ^_^

Then we can all grousse about trying to find Andes chocolates. (I may just go down to the nearest Wal-mart in the States.. which is Bellingham, rather than trying to find them up here. ^_^;)

-Shady.
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby kmd on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:00 am

It's not a family secret, but I will give credit where it's due. This recipe is courtesy of Momma Snider. She's the mother of Eric Snider, humorist. I found his site from a link in Howard Taylor's news, and Eric's writing is so funny, I've been reading it for years and his movie reviews are dead on. One day I stumbled upon his forums, and I've been lurking there ever since. Jeff and I have decided these cookies are better than Girl Scout Thin Mints, because they're just as minty, but are soft and chewy.

Andes Cookies Recipe

3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp water
12oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1lb Andes mints

Heat butter, sugar and water in saucepan until butter is melted. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour into large bowl and cool 10 minutes. Beat in eggs, then add flour, soda and salt and beat just until blended. Chill dough for an hour. Don't worry that the dough seems a little bit oily - it turns out fine once baked. Line cookie sheets with foil. Roll dough in 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 11 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place an Andes mint on each cookie. After they melt, swirl each one with a knife (think of it like spreading frosting on a cake but with the Andes mint instead) and remove cookies from cookie sheet and let them cool until chocolate is solid.

Finding Andes mints seem to be the biggest trick to this recipe. I've found Wal-Mart has started carrying Andes mints baking chips in their baking aisle. I just open a bag of those, and put about a teaspoon of chips per cookie. The actual mints are less messy, but these work too. Also, if you are buying the mints, if you find them in a small bag, buy two bags, because this recipe makes about 5 doz. cookies. And if 5 doz. sounds like a lot, I've found these cookies freeze really well. Or you can half the dough, make half with Andes mints, and with the other half mix in white chocolate chips. Or take that second half, bake them as usual, and put chocolate chips on top and let them melt and frost them. There's lot of room here for experimentation. But the Andes cookies are the best I've made. Enjoy!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Shadowydreamer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:47 am

I'm thinking After 8's or Junior Mints may work in a pinch..
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby algdil on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Surely, the moderator of this forum should boot most of the participants in this thread!!! Either that, or post a WARNING!!! COOKIES w/recipe DISCUSSION!!! in the forum index!!!

That way, those of us who expect to be able to browse forums without being accosted by descriptions of tasty tidbits, delicious morsels, and otherwise fattening deserts -- about which we can only read (and entertain wicked fantasties in the privacy of our own homes) -- can opt to read non-tempting, non-food-mentioning threads where such vivid descriptions will not blatantly assault our poor, deprived, senses... (munch, munch, munch, gulp, munch, gulp, munch...)

Uh...wait. I have to brush these crumbs off my keyboard. Drats!!!

Jim
algdil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:49 pm

actually, i think this one might be ok - i mean, you must burn off a lot of calories when you are frantically unwrapping andes mints to get onto the cookies while they are still hot (and swirling them as well - sounds like plate-spinning is simpler!).

but giving us all those variations to try as well.....i think the evil in your cartoonist is rubbing off on you, kmd.

(now, there must be _something_ coming up i can use as an excuse to bake cookies...)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Shadowydreamer on Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:43 am

Mmm.. White Chocolate.. No Caffiene! ^_^ I can eat those!

-Shady.
Shadowydreamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Steve Rogers on Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:57 am

[quote="Rombobj
Steve Rogers
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Limax on Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:27 am

I'm not much of a cookie maker. I'm more of a pie maker.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kmd on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:22 am

I was hoping Jeff would split this into it's own thread. And he did without having to be told. I give virtual cookies to Jeff, and this weekend we'll go shopping, and I'll buy ingredients to give you real cookies. :D

OK Limax, what type of pies do you like? I've got a great recipe for a french silk pie. And a pretty good key lime pie. But on both I'll admit I take the easy way out and use premade Oreo or graham cracker crusts.

Everybody! Post recipes of your favorite sweets! I need new recipes, and I love sharing recipes! And, apparently I love over using exclamation points!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:30 am

I usually make pecan pies for my wife, using the pillsbury ready-made crust. Nothing too fancy yet.

I made all the pies for Thanksgiving last year. (Pecan, apple and pumpkin) That was a bit tricky since my aunt is diabetic.

My personal favorite pie is rhubarb, however.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:06 pm

mmmmm....pies.....

my personal favorite is blueberry, made with those lovely tiny wild maine blueberries. failing that, i'll go for blackberry. hard to think of a _bad_ pie, though...

i should dig out my recipe for sweet potato pie....haven't made that in a _long_ time.

and i have a recipe for a pretty simple crust - but it's at home...and my home computer is sick :( . it's a betty crocker recipe - so if you have access to an old betty crocker cookbook, it's the one that uses oil rather than solid shortening.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby kmd on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:21 pm

My mom has old Betty Crocker recipe books. Too bad she's 2 states away. Next time I go to visit I'll have to look that up.

My MIL gave me a Better Homes and Gardens recipe book at Christmas one year, and that's where I got my apple pie recipe. I usually use a Pillsbury crust too Limax, but only for the bottom. The recipe has this great variation for a crumb top, and I just love it. It's so pretty that the last time I made it and brought it to work, my co-workers accused me of buying the pie at a local bakery.

Can you tell that I love to bake, but with it just being me and Jeff there's not a lot of reason to do much baking? I'm always looking for an excuse to bake. Church bake sale, people at work are hungry, potluck Fluxx games? :)
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Allanon on Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:45 am

Would 'Rice Pudding' count as a sweet? That's my speciality and I'm more than happy to share if anyone wants it.
Allanon
Keenspotter Supreme

Almond Cherry Cheesecake

Postby Lady_Phoenix on Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:51 am

I heard a request for our favorite sweets? Well, here's mine. :) I make this for major holidays. It's much too fattening to make the rest of the time!

LadyPhoenix's Almond Cherry Cheesecake

Crust:
  • 2/3 cup graham crumbs
  • 1/4 cup margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, broken
  • 1/4 cup sugar
Filling:
  • 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup cherries (or other berry)
Topping:
  • 1 pint (16 oz) sour cream
  • 5 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • slivered almonds, for garnish
  • maraschino cherries, for garnish

1) Mix crust ingredients together. Press firmly into pie pan to make pie crust. Set aside.
2) Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Mix in eggs until creamy and smooth, then stir in cherries.
3) Pour cream cheese mixture into crust. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
4) Let pie cool for 10 minutes.
5) Mix topping ingredients, except almonds and maraschino cherries. Pour over pie.
6) Bake put at 375F for 5 minutes. Top or garmish with almonds.
7) Cool pie for 8 hours or overnight before serving.
8 ) Garnish with cherries.
Take care,
Theresa

Rising from the ashes of her past...

Avatar supplied courtesy and permission of http://rydia.net/tangerine
Lady_Phoenix
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to General Protection Fault