[3:152] "Old Muffins"

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

[3:152] "Old Muffins"

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:29 pm

Link block:
Comic now
Comic archived
Thread(s) of last comic: 59098
Thread(s) of next comic: 60113

MarkusN writing here, quick poll: Would it be acceptable for the Lynchers if I "abuse" my moderator privilege to add such a link block to the first post of all comic related threads from now on, regardless of the original poster?

emergency... emergency....

DAMN! I can't remember what may have happened that would warrant this.

QUICK! TO THE ARCHIVES!!!!!!

Anywho, seems Alison isn't so cynical anymore after all. I still say she needs to tell him to forget about Gar considering he's married and all.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Re: [12/10] "Old Muffins"

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:51 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:emergency... emergency....
QUICK! TO THE ARCHIVES!!!!!!
Now that's something I consider insignificant. It's just setup; some minor thing to explain why Phil expected Gar and encountered Alison instead.

Anywho, seems Alison isn't so cynical anymore after all.
Yep, they quickly recovered the situation after the first clash.

Phil: 'Sorry I was rude first' *shiftyeyes* 'need to find an acceptable reason why I came here.'
Alison: ' Hey, no need to pretend, I know why you came here anyway.'

Phil: *enter panic mode at emergency remark*
Alison: 'Whoa! Come on down already'
Alison: 'But you know, you just dropped your guards there!'

Phil: *attempt at damage control*
Alison: *rubbing it in deeper and tuning in on the vibe*

DocEB wrote: I still say she needs to tell him to forget about Gar considering he's married and all.
Sorry, Doc, I think Alison enjoys her feeling of being in control way to much to act responsibly like that. After all, stable people are not interesting study objects. Plus, if she can get her friend a love interest out of that, why not? She has no responsibilities whatsoever towards the Bradley family. We don't even know if she knows Sarah. So her being biased in this situation is a natural. (It also works well with her cynicism.)

I must say, that knowing half smile and expression of contentment in .3 makes her awfully cute.

Good one, Josh!
Last edited by MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:36 am

Damn, browsing over the listing that thread title looks naughty!

Oh, and anybody want to keep up their notion that this chapter is not going to be about he Gar-Phil-Sarah triangle?

*self righteous grin*
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:21 am

"Old Muffins" sounds dirty to you? That's a new one by me...

And I checked the archives. No mention of previous emergency, so we haven't gotten the details yet.

What do you mean by the "Threads of last comic/next comic" stuff?

And I don't see why not put the links in. I'm to lazy to try to figure them out anyway (and I seem to be the first to post threads on new comics anyway)
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:29 am

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:"Old Muffins" sounds dirty to you? That's a new one by me...
Good for you, good for you.

And I checked the archives. No mention of previous emergency, so we haven't gotten the details yet.
As stated above, that emergency is probably insignificant. Just a plot device to make Phil drop his guards.

What do you mean by the "Threads of last comic/next comic" stuff?
Well, usually there's one thread per comic strip. I want to link them all up into one consecutive list, so a forum diver can jump from thread to thread without having to dig them out of the chronological jumble (as the threads have quite diverging lifetimes and sometimes are resurrected.) Should also make work easier for Josh when he writes his sociological study about brainwashing the masses.

And I don't see why not put the links in. I'm to lazy to try to figure them out anyway (and I seem to be the first to post threads on new comics anyway)
Good. Expect your posts to be mutilated, then. ;)
Last edited by MarkusN on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:44 am

MarkusN wrote:Phil: 'Sorry I was rude first' *shiftyeyes* 'need to find an acceptable reason why I came here.'
Alison: ' Hey, no need to pretend, I know why you came here anyway.'

Yes, that's how I read it. he either came to get away from Sarah, or to see Hildegarde.

.2 Hey Alison, it's not fair to read anything into it just yet.

.3 For someone who was trying to be nosey, Alison talks too much here - the second part of her comment was unnecessary. So I think she's for real. Alison isn't being mean, or twisting the knife. I think her smile is genuine. She wants her mentor to be happy. Playing matchmaker would be wrong, however. Hildegarde has already asserted that she doesn't need a man around. And we all know that she can look after herself.

MarkusN wrote:As stated above, that emergency is probably insignificant. Just a plot device to make Phil drop his guards.

Not insignificant: fanservice! In Avalon Days 2, a domestic emergency (an electrical fault IIRC) caused Alison to fill in for Hildegarde at the cafe before school. A mysterious Australian backpacker fixed it.

MarkusN wrote:I must say, that knowing half smile and expression of contentment in .3 makes her awfully cute.

Yes, but I think Josh draws her best when she's had a wake-up call:

here (my favourite of all), here, and maybe here too.

MarkusN wrote:MarkusN writing here, quick poll: Would it be acceptable for the Lynchers if I "abuse" my moderator privilege to add such a link block to the first post of all comic related threads from now on, regardless of the original poster?

Speaking for myself: no, it wouldn't.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:57 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Not insignificant: fanservice! In Avalon Days 2, a domestic emergency (an electrical fault IIRC) caused Alison to fill in for Hildegarde at the cafe before school. A mysterious Australian backpacker fixed it.
In fact I was tempted to quote that fic when I read about the emergency...

Crappy attempt at colouring. I still have to tweak Hai-Etlik's method to isolate the line art. It ended up too much etched away anyway, then when I tried to re-fatten it with blurring techniques it got, well, blurry.

Neil wrote:
MarkusN wrote:MarkusN writing here, quick poll: Would it be acceptable for the Lynchers if I "abuse" my moderator privilege to add such a link block to the first post of all comic related threads from now on, regardless of the original poster?

Speaking for myself: no, it wouldn't.
Too many negatives here. If I read your answer correctly, you'd rather not that I mess with your posts. Is that correct?
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:38 am

New line art layer. Much crispier.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:44 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Not insignificant: fanservice! In Avalon Days 2, a domestic emergency (an electrical fault IIRC) caused Alison to fill in for Hildegarde at the cafe before school. A mysterious Australian backpacker fixed it.

Yaknow, we really ought to try and finish that story Grassy.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Rob on Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:45 am

So, when he thinks of stale muffins for half price, he thinks of Hildegarde? I wonder if he's interested in Alison's freshly-baked, firm, juicy muffins?

...the ones baking in the oven, of course. What did you think I meant? :wink:
Rob
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Animal on Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:32 am

Some of us that are ouselves old and stale ourselves prefer day-old muffins over young muffins that remind us too much of muffins we've baked ourselves.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:56 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:

Yaknow, we really ought to try and finish that story Grassy.

Yeah, that would be good, but I took it off the rails a fair way. So we would have to back up a bit.
MarkusN wrote:Too many negatives here. If I read your answer correctly, you'd rather not that I mess with your posts. Is that correct?

Yes. I would not like it :)
Animal wrote:Some of us that are ouselves old and stale ourselves prefer day-old muffins over young muffins that remind us too much of muffins we've baked ourselves.

There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: [3:152] "Old Muffins"

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:49 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:emergency... emergency....

Perhaps it has something to do with Monkey Master blowing a hole in the floor of the AHS gym? The Pages' house has been taken over by the RCMP (?) investigation team.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby showler on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:53 pm

Nah, as someone just pointed out in the It's Walky forum, SEMME and Hedy destroyed the school in spring of '03. Most of the Avalon cast will have moved on to university by then.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:51 am

Aw. At least one of the time-frozen silhouettes had a Ceilidh-sized hairdo; I thought it was supposed to be her.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:24 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Aw. At least one of the time-frozen silhouettes had a Ceilidh-sized hairdo; I thought it was supposed to be her.
Come on folks, stay realistic. As fun as these speculations are, Josh would never lend hand for such sci-fi hilarity in the Avalon canon. It's not in the scope of the story. Period.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:02 am

You'll note that over in the Walkyforum I never said there'd be a two-way crossover, nor did I want one.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby showler on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:01 am

Eh, the whole nature of the storyline seems designed to make fun of/have fun with Avalon without affecting Josh's storyline at all.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:54 am

Huzzah! Two comics in three days! Let's hope it continues :D

BTW Neil, what's your sig mean? I only know basic German.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Bo Lindbergh on Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:BTW Neil, what's your sig mean? I only know basic German.

It's pseudo-German. :)

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/b/blinkenlights.html
Bo Lindbergh
Keenspot Despot

Postby Eliot Fan on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:14 pm

I still say she needs to tell him to forget about Gar considering he's married and all.

You know, Gar seems more interested in giving him sensible advice then anything less innocent. Granted the ideal person to talk to in this situation would probably be James, but oh well.
-Wilhelm
If Homer has taught us anything, it is that war is hell and romance is a whore.
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In this brief transit where the dreams cross/The dreamcrossed twilight between birth and dying

Postby showler on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:47 pm

Bo Lindbergh wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:BTW Neil, what's your sig mean? I only know basic German.

It's pseudo-German. :)

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/b/blinkenlights.html

I actually thought he was saying "keep your damn hands off my computer and go look at this."

showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:45 pm

He who steals my car steals trash, but he who steals my computer steals 90% of my free time :P
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TheAuldGrump on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:42 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:
Animal wrote:Some of us that are ouselves old and stale ourselves prefer day-old muffins over young muffins that remind us too much of muffins we've baked ourselves.

There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

Was that a comment on one string fiddles? (Sorry, old folk song reference...)

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:34 pm

I thought it was an old proverb. But if anyone did write it down first, I'd say Mark Twain or Benjamin 'We must either hang together or hang separately' Franklin.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to Avalon