Dragon*Con 2003 Discussion Thread

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Dragon*Con 2003 Discussion Thread

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:51 am

Well, gang, it's that time of the year again. Dragon*Con 2003 is coming up fast, this year being held August 29 - September 1, 2003, in Atlanta, GA. After missing this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, I'm anxious to get back into the con scene. And since Atlanta is a lot easier (and cheaper) for me to get to than San Diego, we'll be there for our third guest appearance.

This thread is for the discussion of Dragon*Con related news and events, especially concerning Faulties. While the GPF Dragon*Con 2003 Pre-Con Report will be online shortly, look here for news and updates as well. (Since it's easier for me to post to the forum than to the actual site, you'll often find news posted here first.) Faulties can use this thread to set up meetings and gatherings, as well as discuss con events as they happen.

Hopefully, this thread will become a valuable tool for Faulties heading to the con. Keep watching this thread, folks. More news to come.
Last edited by jtdarlington on Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby bookw0rmy on Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:56 am

Sigh...and yet again, I can't go (darn grad school--no Labor Day holiday). Jeff, do you and Keri plan to come in any time between now and then? Keri told me she'd get Anne McCaffery to sign a book for me; I need to get one to you.
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.

AKA bookw0rm
bookw0rmy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby xaandria on Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:25 am

I swear, once I get enough money to get over there (and get old enough to travel without having to ask my mom's permission), I'll be there...or SOME con...
xaandria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MaxJenius on Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:21 am

As last year, I'll be there... working as usual.

The last staff meeting has already come and went.

Key guest for me this year, (Second to JTD of course) is George Takei.
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Roach on Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:49 am

MaxJenius wrote:Key guest for me this year, (Second to JTD of course) is George Takei.

Ask him for some fencing lessons :wink:

Seriously though, George takei is/was a real good fencer, and he even wrote a book (together with Robert Asprin) in which Fencing plays a mroe than pivotal role. "Mirror Friend, mirror Foe". I really liked it...
--
yIn nI yISIQ 'ej yIchep
The Roach
The Roach
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby -marzipan on Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:54 pm

xaandria wrote:I swear, once I get enough money to get over there (and get old enough to travel without having to ask my mom's permission), I'll be there...or SOME con...

I have to agree here. Being young has some major disadvantages.
-marzipan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby helva834 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:20 pm

I'm so excited that I'm going! It's going to be my first "real" con. I've been to Balticon and am going to Otakon in a couple weeks, but this will be the first time I'm physically present for the entire con. so cool! being in college with lots of fen rocks. they have cars and organize trips like this.
Not all who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkein
Life is what happens while you're making other plans. ~John Lennon
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RainInVa on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:07 am

I'll be there this year... but I will be working for the game company WizKids all 4 days and won't get to see much of the day time con :-( I'm hoping I can convince people to go get some autographs for me if I pay them in limited edition figures from the company!
When all else fails... take a nap.
RainInVa
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:52 am

MaxJenius wrote:Key guest for me this year, (Second to JTD of course) is George Takei.

Oh, I'd happily take back seat to Mr. Takei. Personally, I'm hoping to get his autograph myself. Of course, after embarrassing myself in front of Walter Koenig three years ago by mispronouncing his name every time I said it, maybe I should just let kmd do it for me.... :)

RainInVa wrote:I'll be there this year... but I will be working for the game company WizKids all 4 days and won't get to see much of the day time con :-( I'm hoping I can convince people to go get some autographs for me if I pay them in limited edition figures from the company!

WizKids, huh? I'll see what I can do about swinging by. I do my best to try atleast walking the con floor once. Most of the time, though, I prefer to stay at the booth so folks can find me. However, I won't be in the dealers area this year; since Plan Nine isn't going, I'll be in Artists' Row... assuming they have a free table for me.... :-?
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Re: Dragon*Con 2003 Discussion Thread

Postby Samanfur on Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:47 am

I still can't believe that I'm getting to go to my first real, huge US fantasy convention. I've always been jealous that the UK gets comparative minnows.

This wouldn't be bad due to the quality of the guests, if it wasn't for the fact that The Powers That Be in London seem to forget that there's sentient life in the country anywhere north of Bristol. So us poor folks in the north can never actually <B>get</b> to these things!

So I'm going. But I haven't flown before, and the thought of spending eight hours at 36,000 feet in a flying cigar isn't doing me any favours...

You guys'd better be worth it. :)
Samanfur
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:53 am

First things first... come over here Samanfur... this won't hurt... MUCH

*POKE*

Welcome to the GPF boards.

Back on the subject of the con.

We need to coordinate a Faultie get together, and do lunch.
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby kmd on Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:56 am

Now THAT is a great idea!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:09 am

A Faultie meal would be an excellent idea, whether lunch or dinner. (Something tells me breakfast would be hit or miss, however. :) ) We tried to set something up last year, but it kind of fell apart. One possibility might be to try and coordinate something with Bill Holbrook (since he and I will be practically joined at the hip this time, as we're sharing a table) and have a joint GPF/Kevin & Kell lunch/dinner. Just a thought....

Speaking of Mr. Holbrook, he has informed me that we do know of at least one panel that we will both be on. There will be a webcomics panel Sunday, August 31, at 7PM in the Madrid/Trinidad room of the Hyatt. Nothing else appears to be on my schedule yet, so I don't know what else will be going on.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Re: Dragon*Con 2003 Discussion Thread

Postby terribleRobbo on Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:31 am

Samanfur wrote:I still can't believe that I'm getting to go to my first real, huge US fantasy convention. I've always been jealous that the UK gets comparative minnows.

Except for Games Day (Games Workshop). *Shudder*
terribleRobbo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:39 am

Just some updates on the Pre-Con Report page to announce: I've listed the panel on Sunday, as well as some of the merchandise we're bringing. We're going to hold a little raffle like we did at Technicon 18, where anyone who purchases something from Bill and I will get a ticket, and later we'll hold a drawing. There will be two winners, and each will get a special exclusive piece of original art. My entry is a spiffy gray Primsacolor marker piece of Gamester and Mischief, framed and matted. (See the pre-con report for a preview.)

I'm assuming since there hasn't been any discussion about a get-together meal that there isn't any interest. :-? Oh well....
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:41 am

Ahem...

There are two main places I would suggest.

There is a nice Chinese resturant near the Hyatt, and there is a TexMex resturant across the street.
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby helva834 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:39 pm

jtdarlington wrote:I'm assuming since there hasn't been any discussion about a get-together meal that there isn't any interest. :-? Oh well....

Would love for a get-together meal. just don't have any knowledge of atlanta. Why not pick a time that's good for you Jeff? the Faulties will show
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:10 pm

More updates, going live tomorrow: The official con schedule is finally online, and can be found here. Start picking out your favorite panels, folks! Also, I should go ahead and announce that the drawing for the art raffle will be held Sunday evening at the webcomics panel. Make sure to bring your tickets!

On the lunch/dinner: I'm essentially free as soon as the Artists' Row closes. The only thing currently planned during the evening hours is the panel (although Mr. Holbrook and I may plan a private artists' pow-wow one evening). Chinese and TexMex are fine with me, as long as I can get my sesame chicken or something reasonably bland. :)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby kmd on Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:55 am

How about Sunday after the webcomic panel? Most of the people who would want to go to dinner would be there anyway, we can all just gather up in the hall and head out.
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby helva834 on Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:57 am

that'd be wonderful
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kmd on Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:06 am

OK MaxJenius, with all of your knowledge of Atlanta, which restaurant do you think would be better equipped to deal with a bunch of hungry cartoonists and fans at approx. 8:30 at night? Jeff said he's up for either place.

Also, for those who didn't know (like me!) I heard that John "The Gneech" Robey will also be at Dragon Con.
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby MaxJenius on Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:56 pm

On Sunday? Doesn't the Con kinda die out about 3pm?

<edit>

Duhhh... Labor Day weekend... boy do I feel sheepish.... Baaa....
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:29 pm

Sunday Dinner: kmd "put her foot down" and made me pick something, so we'll go to the TexMex place. I think I know roughly where it is, but Max can back me up if need be. IIRC, some Plan Nine folks went there last year, and even Jeff "Mr. Picky" Darlington found something he would eat there.

Max, do you think we need a reservation? If so and you can remind me of the name of the place, I'll place the call.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby MaxJenius on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:15 pm

Reservations isn't required. It's across the street from the Hyatt.

We might have to deal with a little wait, competing with other con goers...

Of course there is also the Hard Rock Cafe... I'm not too fond of it myself.

One more day!

I can't wait! ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Party of Two to the Fifth Power

Postby Unit Squared on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:25 pm

Do you think the restaurant will be big enough to house all the GPF and Kevin & Kell fans? Seems like there will need to be several tables . . .
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to General Protection Fault