Jeff's Pad Featured on KeenCribs

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Jeff's Pad Featured on KeenCribs

Postby jtdarlington on Fri May 23, 2003 4:45 am

I'll announce this in next week's news item (yes, one is actually on the way), but here's the advance notice: My work spaces are featured in this week's KeenCribs feature over at Greystone Inn. As usual, the current KeenCribs is freely available to everyone, but the archives are available to PREMIUM subscribers only. (So if you're not a PREMEE, you have until May 30th to see it.) Combined with our PREMIUM-exclusive Behind the Scenes segment, this gives you a good idea of how GPF comes into being.

Feel free to discuss how much of a slob I am. Just don't fault kmd... she actually tries to keep the house clean....
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Erzengel on Fri May 23, 2003 8:31 am

heh. Cool spot. So you've switched over to remote as well, eh? I suppose that happens when you get a laptop (mine is faster than my desktop, that's why I've switched over to it)...

So do you do the digital part of the strip in your living room so that the strip takes even LONGER than it should? ;)
Erzengel des Lichtes
光の大天使
Archangel of the Light

Can't see kanji or kana? Find help here on Microsoft's website, Check here for linux help, and Macs (should) work fine without setup.

Read or the Owl will eat you!
Erzengel
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri May 23, 2003 10:33 am

:o

Is that a new strip on the laptop? I don't recognise it at all (and that "Suck" word would have tipped me off if I had). If it is, then is that Fooker? he sure looks like it! TELL ME THAT'S A NEW COMIC!
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Erzengel on Fri May 23, 2003 10:46 am

Looks like it probably is. Maybe it's something for PREMEEs, or maybe it is a new strip that we won't see for a few months (he does have a very large bunch of strips done already--or so I've heard)
Erzengel des Lichtes
光の大天使
Archangel of the Light

Can't see kanji or kana? Find help here on Microsoft's website, Check here for linux help, and Macs (should) work fine without setup.

Read or the Owl will eat you!
Erzengel
Keenspot Despot

Postby showler on Fri May 23, 2003 11:15 am

It's for later. It has Fooker. It has a woman who looks suspiciously like a younger version of Trudy's mom (you know who?). It appears to have Dr. Irving Schlock from Sluggy Freelance. It takes place somewhere where Hawaiin shirts and palm trees are common. It says SOCK not SUCK. She hit him for something he said.

This's gonna drive me nuts. The MUHAHAHA! is a nice touch, Jeff.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jtdarlington on Fri May 23, 2003 11:22 am

Erzengel wrote:heh. Cool spot. So you've switched over to remote as well, eh? I suppose that happens when you get a laptop (mine is faster than my desktop, that's why I've switched over to it)...

I do a lot of the digital work on the laptop now, mostly because it frees me up to work anywhere in the house I want. On the plus side, I can work in whatever room kmd is in, so I'm not holed up in the office and cut off from her. On the negative sign, when I was unemployed several months ago, I spent almost my entire day sitting in bed. With the WiFi card and VNC installed on all the machines, I only had to leave the room to get food. So very sad.... :)

Erzengel wrote:So do you do the digital part of the strip in your living room so that the strip takes even LONGER than it should? ;)

Um, yes.

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Is that a new strip on the laptop? I don't recognise it at all (and that "Suck" word would have tipped me off if I had). If it is, then is that Fooker? he sure looks like it! TELL ME THAT'S A NEW COMIC!

Hmm... I think I'll quote you and make it look like I'm actually replying, but not really say anything useful in response. You can infer from that whatever you wish. ;)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby stjen on Fri May 23, 2003 1:00 pm

jtdarlington wrote:Hmm... I think I'll quote you and make it look like I'm actually replying, but not really say anything useful in response. You can infer from that whatever you wish. ;)

Bad, Bad, Evil Cartoonist. No KMD for you!
:lol:
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby showler on Fri May 23, 2003 1:37 pm

Doesn't anyone care that WE'VE FOUND TRUDY'S SISTER and she's with Fooker?
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jeffery McLean on Fri May 23, 2003 6:38 pm

jtdarlington wrote:Hmm... I think I'll quote you and make it look like I'm actually replying, but not really say anything useful in response. You can infer from that whatever you wish. ;)

Consparicy.. It's a decoy comic or one he never printed or worse...
It's an exsiting comic edited to make us THINK it's new.

Or it's actually a new comic and I'm trying to out evil Jeff here something I'm not sure is actually possable.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Hmmm . . .

Postby Unit Squared on Fri May 23, 2003 8:08 pm

stjen wrote:Bad, Bad, Evil Cartoonist. No KMD for you!
:lol:

Isn't that a little harsh? Maybe one fifth less KMD a day would be a more suitable punishment. :D
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Hmmm . . .

Postby Jeffery McLean on Fri May 23, 2003 8:59 pm

Unit Squared wrote:Isn't that a little harsh? Maybe one fifth less KMD a day would be a more suitable punishment. :D

I suspect KMD wouldn't go along with that.
And I don't blame her. Evil cartoonists are sexy....

I've known a few evil female cartoonists.... :)
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kmd on Sat May 24, 2003 5:43 am

He gets all the KMD he wants! Besides, I know what's on the strip on the laptop. I'm his evil cohort.
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Jeffery McLean on Sat May 24, 2003 6:08 pm

Ohhhh
Jeff minds are unusually resistent to my mind control technology
(This was not an accadent BTW)

But... if KMD knows.......
(However it dose not help that I've had to seek advice from an evil female scientist...)

(If you'll look into my history you'll see I tend to seek out female evil genusis for advice amoung other things)
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby technomancer on Tue May 27, 2003 2:39 am

jtdarlington wrote:On the negative sign, when I was unemployed several months ago, I spent almost my entire day sitting in bed. With the WiFi card and VNC installed on all the machines, I only had to leave the room to get food. So very sad.... :)

WiFi and VNC? So all we have to do is sit around outside your house and watch as you draw new strips! 8)
technomancer
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Tue May 27, 2003 3:11 am

Heh... maybe, if it's nice outside, I'll work on today's comics while sitting on the back porch. :)

Nah... I'll get a terrible sunburn in ten minutes and the glare will prevent me from seeing the LCD screen... :(
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Jeffery McLean on Tue May 27, 2003 5:03 am

Ok now I see a new use for a teraport...

Jumpping over to comic artists pads to watch them draw.
And....

Premium Keenspot idea here...
"How I draw my strip" Drawing tutorials.
Each artist could give a lesson on drawing like they do.
In the Premium section of course. I'm gona pay money to buy drawing books and a touch tablet I'll pay to get pointers from practacing artists.

What cha say hmmmm?
Course what I'D like to know is the coloring problem. Becouse I already got the drawing side down but gotta color in colored pencle instead of with a computer becouse I can't seam to get Da Gimp to do da job.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Tue May 27, 2003 6:29 am

A "How I Draw the GPF Characters" segment will probably be in the PREMIUM-exclusive Jeff's Sketchbook feature eventually (i.e., once I take the time to actually sit down and design it). As for a coloring tutorial, there's a partial one in the PREMIUM version of Behind the Scenes, and I've been planning to do a color version (i.e., Sunday strips instead of gray scale dailies) for a while. I use Paint Shop Pro, but most of the tips would be transferable to the GIMP if you know the tools well enough.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Micha on Tue May 27, 2003 11:06 am

Say, Jeff, where do you live? :lol: Why? Um... I have some money and I, uh, wanted to send it to you to, er, thank you for, um... making such a wonderful strip. Uh, Yeah, that's it; I wanted to send you money. :roll:
One Raindrop Rises The Sea
Micha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JapioF on Wed May 28, 2003 5:28 am

The strip on the IBM....that's obviously Fooker :D but who is the lady next to him, she reminds me of Trudy's mother.... could it be.....that would the wrong kinda woman to be with as she is as evil and cold as Trudy is...

But hey, let's see what develops... I cannot wait to see Fooker in the strip again... but doesn't Jeff usually work 8 weeks in advance? In that case we know how long we have to wait :wink:
We are but packets in the internet of life (c) Illiad<br>
It's the principle of the thing; "because it's there (c) Fooker
JapioF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed May 28, 2003 6:17 am

ah, but we know that Jeff's buffer suffered a bit while he was working in Charlotte. So perhaps that's the next storyline!
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby showler on Wed May 28, 2003 9:47 am

JapioF wrote:The strip on the IBM....that's obviously Fooker :D but who is the lady next to him, she reminds me of Trudy's mother.... could it be.....that would the wrong kinda woman to be with as she is as evil and cold as Trudy is...

Close up view indicates that she is too young to be Trudy's mom and the hair is not quite the right colour. I am declaring my belief that this is Trudy's sister.

In eight weeks (or less depending on buffer size and date the photos were taken) I will either say "Ha Ha!!" or edit these messages.

showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Wed May 28, 2003 11:31 am

showler wrote:
JapioF wrote:The strip on the IBM....that's obviously Fooker :D but who is the lady next to him, she reminds me of Trudy's mother.... could it be.....that would the wrong kinda woman to be with as she is as evil and cold as Trudy is...

Close up view indicates that she is too young to be Trudy's mom and the hair is not quite the right colour. I am declaring my belief that this is Trudy's sister.

In eight weeks (or less depending on buffer size and date the photos were taken) I will either say "Ha Ha!!" or edit these messages.

not this one, you won't. hehe.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

The speculation is over...

Postby stjen on Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:10 am

... for the strip on his laptop is that of today, 6/22/03. The lady in question is #12 Maddy -- surprisingly enough you *can* dress her up and take her out, although it becomes all too obvious that she and #6 Fooker have been together for a bit too long this time.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby JapioF on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:47 am

showler wrote:In eight weeks (or less depending on buffer size and date the photos were taken) I will either say "Ha Ha!!" or edit these messages.

Start edititing showler.... not that I was right, we were both very wrong. BTW... Jeff's buffer must have decreased rapidly for this strip to be online already (the article on KeenCrib was featured on May 23rd)...

O well, as long as GPF is going one, I'm one happy customer :wink:
We are but packets in the internet of life (c) Illiad<br>
It's the principle of the thing; "because it's there (c) Fooker
JapioF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby helva834 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:16 am

[quote=JapioF] BTW... Jeff's buffer must have decreased rapidly for this strip to be online already (the article on KeenCrib was featured on May 23rd)...[/quote]

Or Jeff deliberately put that one on his desk.
Not all who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkein
Life is what happens while you're making other plans. ~John Lennon
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to General Protection Fault