Opinions about Fred plush doll exclusive print

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Opinions about Fred plush doll exclusive print

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:15 am

As mentioned in the April 21st news item, things are finally looking good for getting the Fred plush doll in production and shipping soon. I'm still waiting on the pictures of the final prototype before I approve it, but that's the last thing standing in our way. If things go well and this process goes quickly, we could be looking at having the dolls ready by the big summer cons, Comic-Con and Dragon*Con.

However, in order for us to break even, we have to sell a minimum of 200 dolls. Anything less, and Keenspot will be expending a huge chunk of cash that can be used for far more valuable purposes. As of this writing, we have quite a ways to go to reach that goal, so we're planning on adding some incentive to get folks to pre-order.

The current plan is for me to draw an exclusive GPF image, of which Keen will produce full-color 8.5" by 11" prints. I will then hand-sign and number each one of the prints. These prints will never be available anywhere else and never again, making them instant collectors' items. We will make the prints available only to the first 200 people who order the dolls, which includes everyone who has already pre-ordered one. (We've got your orders on record, so we already know who you are.)

The purpose of this thread is to gather your thoughts on what you'd like that image to be. I could just throw down any old image and let you guys be stuck with it, but I'd rather poll you and find out what kind of exclusive image you'd like to see. So, if you've already ordered a doll or you think this exclusive print offer will sway your opinion toward ordering one, please give me your thoughts on what you'd like to see in the print. As stated, it will be full color and hand signed and numbered, and will never
be reproduced after this promotion.

Of course, I reserve the right to nix any design I feel in inappropriate, so keep it clean, gang. ;)
Last edited by jtdarlington on Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby stjen on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:49 am

Hmm. Methinks it should be a brand new Cast Picture -- one with all of the old and new main characters, and several of the important minor ones.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby blondeGeek? on Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:47 am

The GPF gang having a big LAN party would be fun and geeky! :D
Geek Girls Rock!
blondeGeek?
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TX_Bera on Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:41 pm

Just a brain flatulence :oops: , but what about the first week of strips ( 11/2/98-11/7/98 ), or series of strips choosen by Jeff, redrawn in color, maybe?

Realized that would be a lot of work for him though, especially on his current schedule.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE-----
Version: 3.12
GO d- s++:++ a-- C++ UL P+ L+>+++ E W++ N+ O? K- w++++ O--- M V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP- t* 5-- X R+ tv-- b DI+ D++ G++ e+ h- r+++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE------
TX_Bera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:24 pm

Actually, I'd be more inclined to order one if it were a special strip rather than if it were a picture of the cast. Maybe a play on the one where Fooker mistakes Perseph's toy Fred for the real one.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby formerlygpfaddict on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:32 pm

ohhh good one Dr Emmitt Brown
Im a Faultie Wombat !...Confused?
Go HERD or Go Home!

Marshall VS WVU
At least once in her life, every woman should kiss a dangerous man.
formerlygpfaddict
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby formerlygpfaddict on Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:42 pm

How About Jeff's favorite strip?
Go HERD or Go Home!

Marshall VS WVU
formerlygpfaddict
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

hmm

Postby kormoc on Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:20 pm

I would love to see Sharon as she is in the last panel. Decked out matrix style with a few nice guns :)

That would rock.
kormoc
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:11 am

Well, gang, I finally saw the pictures of the latest prototype, and they look great. They have the Jeff seal of approval. With that in mind, we really need to get moving on this, so I need ideas and suggestions ASAP. I'm leaning toward a massive cast picture (as in almost every single character that's ever appeared in the strip), but I'm afraid such a picture will take so long to complete that the folks who order will have to wait forever to get the picture. However, expect a massive push to try and get these pre-orders in. I doubt we'll get them ready by Comic-Con now, but if we can get the 200 pre-orders soon, we should easily have the dolls by Christmas 2003....
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

A Quick Suggestion

Postby Unit Squared on Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:48 am

jtdarlington wrote:The purpose of this thread is to gather your thoughts on what you'd like that image to be. I could just throw down any old image and let you guys be stuck with it, but I'd rather poll you and find out what kind of exclusive image you'd like to see.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I have one suggestion (for the time being): A Gamester style poster, akin to the many we've seen in the GPF universe. Hang it on the wall and watch reality go out the window. :D
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: A Quick Suggestion

Postby Limax on Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:53 pm

Unit Squared wrote:I've been thinking about this for a while, and I have one suggestion (for the time being): A Gamester style poster, akin to the many we've seen in the GPF universe. Hang it on the wall and watch reality go out the window. :D

I'd buy THAT for a dollar!!! :P (Or a the price of a Fred plush doll...)
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Trodamus on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:15 am

Personally, I think the mass cast picture would be fantastic. Something akin to those Simpsons posters you see with all those people on it. You could have people in little sections, you know...all the people in black pajamas would be UGA, people with long noses and evil smiles would be CRUDE, et cetera.

Care to show the picture of the plush doll?
Trodamus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:42 am

Here's a few selected pics sent to me by the Keenspot crew:

http://www.keenspot.com/toys/fred2-photo1.jpg
http://www.keenspot.com/toys/fred2-photo2.jpg
http://www.keenspot.com/toys/fred2-photo3.jpg
http://www.keenspot.com/toys/fred2-photo4.jpg

Essentially, you can see the approximate size of the doll and get a good idea of what it will look like. One feature that you can't get from this is the fact that the bottom is made like a "beanie" toy, so it will sit easily on most any surface, especially on top of a monitor.

Now, to the picture: Those of you who have given me ideas, thanks. Those of you who haven't, shame on you. Time is really critical on this, so it's kind of a "speak now or forever hold your peace" situation. I'm going to try and come up with something and post it here to gather opinions. I'll probably post the initial sketch first, get opinions, then work on the finished product. The current idea is not a massive cast picture like I was thinking, but something more like stjen mentioned, but with a gag aspect to it (obviously involving Fred as the central aspect). But I'll still accept other ideas if anyone has one.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

A thought or two . . .

Postby Unit Squared on Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:47 pm

jtdarlington wrote:The current idea is not a massive cast picture like I was thinking, but something more like stjen mentioned, but with a gag aspect to it (obviously involving Fred as the central aspect). But I'll still accept other ideas if anyone has one.

The only forseeable problem with a massive cast picture centered around Fred is that a few of the cast members (Dexter and Trent, namely) have no idea that Fred even exists. This may be a moot point since this picture wouldn't be in the continuity of the comic or they saw Fred when Nick revealed the Mutex, but I thought I should bring it up.

The new Fred plush doll does looks great, though. It makes the choice between the Fred plush and Keenspot Premium all that much harder. Decisions, decisions . . . :D
Unit Squared
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby formerlygpfaddict on Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:42 pm

ohhh ! How about the cast members as slime molds? just an idea ...Unit i have to agree with you, Choices, Choices!! :P
Go HERD or Go Home!

Marshall VS WVU
formerlygpfaddict
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:06 am

Okay... no responses for over a month, so I don't know if that's good or bad. :-? However, Keen is pressing me for the print, so I got down to brass tacks and threw something together. Good thing is, I woke up this morning with a pretty nifty idea which I think will work just dandy. I'll inline the image at the bottom of this post (so it won't obscure this text like images sometimes do for some people), but here's a link to it as well: http://www.gpf-comics.com/fred_doll_print_strip.jpg

The idea is the same: The first 200 [pre-]orders we have for the doll (including everyone who has already pre-ordered) will receive a beautiful(?) 8.5" x 11" print of this strip. This strip will never appear elsewhere on the GPF site, nor will it be printed in any of our books. Each print will be individually signed and numbered by me. IN ADDITION, I will be providing Keen with the original of this strip, on the understanding that one lucky order will be chosen at random to receive it. This is the original 9" x 12" Bristol board art, still fresh with ink from this morning and even still has the non-photo blue pencil marks on it.

Opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated, folks. I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible before I show this on the main site.

Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:18 am

Oh man, That's great! I think I may need to splurge a bit now and order one.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby showler on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:21 am

Cool comic, but why have Ki and Trudy only got one leg each?
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:12 pm

fred's still an amateur - so we shouldn't be surprised that some of his impressions are a bit lame....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby showler on Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:54 pm

mouse wrote:fred's still an amateur - so we shouldn't be surprised that some of his impressions are a bit lame....

10 second delayed reaction to that pun. Funny.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby formerlygpfaddict on Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:43 am

OH goody goody !! JTD liked my suggestion!!!! =-D Now I HAVE to BUY One!!
Go HERD or Go Home!

Marshall VS WVU
formerlygpfaddict
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby formerlygpfaddict on Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:00 am

Bought one!
Go HERD or Go Home!

Marshall VS WVU
formerlygpfaddict
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby stjen on Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:57 am

Yeah, I just ordered one too.... (As if I need more "stuff".)

I hope Fred likes cats and dogs -- he'll probably go between Garfield and Dogbert....
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Roach on Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:05 am

stjen wrote:Yeah, I just ordered one too.... (As if I need more "stuff".)

I just tried to order one (together with some Premium), but found that KernnSwag will not let me pay by credit card, it only offers PayPal -- which in turn doesn't work for me, as it doesn't accept Dutch bank accounts as valid :cry: Any idea how to get around that -- fast, to order among the first 200?
--
yIn nI yISIQ 'ej yIchep
The Roach
The Roach
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:25 pm

That's odd... just to test it out, I created a KeenSwag account and went through the ordering procedure, and it gave me the option for a credit card as well as PayPal. The credit card option was a radio button right under the PayPal radio button, with fields for the name, card number and expiration date.

Roach, can you try it again, just to make sure? Do you think it might not be showing that option because you're outside the US? If you're still having problems, let me know and I'll contact the Keen Tech Crew ASAP.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Next

Return to General Protection Fault