3:122 coloured - the continuing stooory ...

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

3:122 coloured - the continuing stooory ...

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:09 am

Original 3:122

Colour version 1

Colour version 2 - work in progress:

Any better so far? See the speckles around the mortar joints on the brick walls are gone, the door is darker (but still green, that's the symbolism) and the doorframe is white. This hides the antialiasing of the original, which caused the speckles.
Last edited by GrassyNoel on Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BanditAngel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:20 am

The second one is a very nice improvement on the technical side, since there's pretty much no artifacts left (Ceilidh's lips in the third panel are a bit thin, but that's just nitpicking :)). On the artistic side, I think the new color choice is a fair bit nicer, although a grey floor (fourth panel) just seems wrong to me. Also, Ceilidh's eyes look a bit big, and it makes her seem a bit frantic or worried, although that could be accepted as intentional. Seriously though, the second one is quite a nice coloring, and you definently improved quite quickly. Heck, keep up THAT pace and you're gonna make mzacher pretend to quit again :)

If I remember right, you said you used PSP7 in the other thread - If so, check out the tolerance setting on the fill command, it's quite useful (it's the only coloring trick I know, but it serves me well :))
BanditAngel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:33 am

BanditAngel wrote:On the artistic side, I think the new color choice is a fair bit nicer, although a grey floor (fourth panel) just seems wrong to me.
Above, I wrote:work in progress
Haven't finished yet :) Haven't worked out how to do gradient fills, for example.

BanditAngel wrote:Also, Ceilidh's eyes look a bit big, and it makes her seem a bit frantic or worried, although that could be accepted as intentional.

The eyes are as Josh drew them, I've only added colour. (Same goes for everything else). Some boardies have interpreted Ceilidh's expression as surprise, or even shock, at seeing Alison at Joe's place.

BanditAngel wrote:Seriously though, the second one is quite a nice coloring, and you definently improved quite quickly. Heck, keep up THAT pace and you're gonna make mzacher pretend to quit again :)

Aw - he's surely safe from me, but thanks.

BanditAngel wrote:If I remember right, you said you used PSP7 in the other thread

Yes
BanditAngel wrote:If so, check out the tolerance setting on the fill command, it's quite useful (it's the only coloring trick I know, but it serves me well :))

In the first version, I used the colour replacer to fill areas, not the fill tool because I didn't then know how to use that.

In the second version I used fill for the wall, door, hair and clothing.

Thanks for your comments!
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fool on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:42 am

It's less the thinness of Ceilidh's lips than the colour.
her lips looked better in the first version, but just about everything else looked better in the second one.
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby MarkusN on Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:40 am

I like this one way better.

Few nitpicks:

Unless PSP 7 is very good at sub-pixel brush-sizes you will probably have to blow the picture up at least twofold, then re-compress it after painting to avoid the pixelated look of Ceilidh's lips.

Try to find a brick red. That house looks as if it were painted in blood. (You don't happen to be red-green blind? I mean this seriously, many males are, and a good percentage don't even know.)

Joe still hasn't any fashion sense concerning his socks. (See the edited in comment on thes in my old criticism.)

But, hey, you rush up that learning curve! (About the anti-aliasing trouble: have you tried painting in multiply-mode? That does wonders.)

Coloring at screen resolutions is a bitch. I really look up to folks like DaFalcon and Davey3000, and soon Neil.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby BanditAngel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:11 am

The eyes are as Josh drew them, I've only added colour. (Same goes for everything else). Some boardies have interpreted Ceilidh's expression as surprise, or even shock, at seeing Alison at Joe's place.

The coloring just seems to bring it out a bit more, assuming you didn't do any color work on the eyes.
BanditAngel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:20 am

New iteration, still not finished:

MarkusN wrote:Unless PSP 7 is very good at sub-pixel brush-sizes you will probably have to blow the picture up at least twofold, then re-compress it after painting to avoid the pixelated look of Ceilidh's lips.
I tried a Gaussian blur just now (I'm down with this terminology huh.) It looks more real.
MarkusN wrote:Try to find a brick red. That house looks as if it were painted in blood.

Yeah, that's a problem. I used other reds for Ceilidh's clothes - the same colours Josh used in 3:121. Plus her coat, I sorta tried something that looked dark enough to match Josh's greyscale and match the rest of the outfit at the same time.
MarkusN wrote:(You don't happen to be red-green blind? I mean this seriously, many males are, and a good percentage don't even know.)

No, I'm not. I went outside just now, and had a look at the bricks of my own house. Sure enough, none of them are that bright.
MarkusN wrote:Joe still hasn't any fashion sense concerning his socks.

But I haven't finished yet -- I wrote that above, twice :) In any case, Josh made his socks white (#000000) so I have to leave them. If he had shaded them at all, I'd be at liberty to pick a colour.
MarkusN wrote:But, hey, you rush up that learning curve! (About the anti-aliasing trouble: have you tried painting in multiply-mode? That does wonders.)

Don't know anything about that - I'll have a look. Thanks for your comments, Markus!
MarkusN wrote:Coloring at screen resolutions is a bitch.

True dat.
MarkusN wrote:I really look up to folks like DaFalcon and Davey3000, and soon Neil.
aw...
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:23 am

She looks haunted to begin with (panel 1). I think she's not completely at peace with her own plans.
Her expression is quite similar to the one she has on the cast page, which is taken from the walk in the woods when Joe reveals to her that James never really loved Gar...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:38 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Yeah, that's a problem. I used other reds for Ceilidh's clothes - the same colours Josh used in 3:121. Plus her coat, I sorta tried something that looked dark enough to match Josh's greyscale and match the rest of the outfit at the same time.

I see that problem now. Now she's camouflaged in front of the brick wall. But you certainly are not stuck with the standard palette. Try something a bit more towards orange, but subdued.

But I haven't finished yet -- I wrote that above, twice :) In any case, Josh made his socks white (#000000) so I have to leave them. If he had shaded them at all, I'd be at liberty to pick a colour.

That only goes to prove that Josh hasn't any fashion sense either :P .
Socks & not(tenniscourt) == dark. Dunno if that's any accepted syntax, but you get what I mean.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:23 pm

Hmm. The inside of the house looks too drab with only shades of grey, and Joe's and Jim's clothes don't help... But that's about the only problem with it.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:38 pm

Joe's socks *are* white, so keep making fun of his fashion sense. :-)

I don't have any hues in mind when I colour a strip in greyscale; I only care about contrast. So if you want to add hue, the existing contrasts will probably be all wrong. Feel free to change the contrasts as you see fit.

I guess the best way to go, if you can use layers, is to first get rid of all the greys and just leave black outlines (by flood-filling the greys with white, increasing the image contrast while lowering brightness, etc.). Then set that as a multiply layer, and colour on a normal layer beneath. The important thing when colouring screen-resolution images is that the outlines must be anti-aliased already (so when it multiplies over the colouring, there's no jagged pixelation), so keep that in mind if you try to remove the greys from the lineart.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:22 pm

I tweaked Neil's last version... Here it is...
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mzacher on Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:10 pm

That's not a learning curve you're demonstrating there GrassyNoel, it's practically a vertical assent. :D

Just a few points:

When I colour strips(or pages, whatever), I routinely double the size(ie: an 800x600 image becomes 1600x1200) of the lineart before working on it.
This gives me an easier way to do any fine detail work, and means slight problems (shaky detail work, awkward)are usually diminished/lost when the image is reduced back to it's original size.
(It also helps to compensate for my lousy motor control skills, but that's another saga. ;) )

I usually colour the characters on one layer, and background and foreground objects/props on seperate layers, so if I find that a character is 'blending into the background' too much, I usually can reduce the colour saturation of the background layer on that panel a little to bring the focus to the character, not the geography. :)
(I'm unsure what control with this PSP offers, but it's relatively simple with Photoshop and/or GIMP).

And I'd add a little colour to the background of your last panel, but not much.

I think I've plugged this link before, but:

Polykarbon

has some great starting tutorials for colouring with Paintshop Pro and Photoshop.

...and anyone who can colour already grayshaded strips has my admiration, since it tends to drive me crazy. :)
mzacher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:28 pm

Thanks for your comments, mzacher.

Giga, your backgrounds are a bit too bold for my taste in interior decorating. Also I want to learn how to do gradient fills like in Josh's original.

And everyone, the reason there's so much grey in it, is that it's not finished yet. Said that already three times :)
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:32 pm

mzacher wrote:That's not a learning curve you're demonstrating there GrassyNoel, it's practically a vertical assent. :D

Assent, noun:
Agreement.

Ascent, Noun:
Act of moving upward.

Nitpick over...

I totally ruined the hair-highlights. I'm pleased with the lips, though.
And as for interior decorating, this is why my high school major isn't commercial art. :D (Though now I realize I forgot to recolor Ceilidh's jacket in the last panel. D'oh!)

Okay, new, re-tweaked version with background gradients and carpet fuzz.
Image[/quote]
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nrg Spoon on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:26 pm

PSP7 is MY tool.

I still have my load of year-old colourings at http://www.geocities.com/nrgspoon/avalon/ so if you want to see what I could accomplish at the time it'll be there.

As of late, however, I've been redrawing stuff completely with vectors.
Nrg Spoon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mzacher on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:54 pm

Gigafreak wrote:
mzacher wrote:That's not a learning curve you're demonstrating there GrassyNoel, it's practically a vertical assent. :D

Assent, noun:
Agreement.

Ascent, Noun:
Act of moving upward.

Nitpick over...

Multi-Tasking (noun): The 'art' of simultaneously eating breakfast, sorting out your drawing board, answering forum posts,And making dopey mistakes.

...so, What's your point?
<sigh> ;)
mzacher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:00 pm

mzacher wrote:...so, What's your point?
<sigh> ;)

Attention ... span ... thingie? :wink:

Josh Phillips wrote:Joe's socks *are* white, so keep making fun of his fashion sense. :-)

Hmm.... The master hath spoken. So we're forced to assume that there is artistic purpose behind this colour selection. Over at It's Walky I'd know in which direction I'd have to look for that purpose, but here?

I also notice that Ceilidh outside seems to be cold. After coming inside her skin tone changes to a much more healthy light tan.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:36 am

Ha, so the socks are Joe's fault, not Josh's - don't flame the messenger.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cholma on Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:58 am

Maybe Joe is wear blue jeans; white's the proper color of sock to wear with those. (unless he wears dress shoes with jeans, then it looks tacky; socks should match the color/shade of the shoes)
Support our troops by donating to the USO: http://www.uso.org/pubs/8_18_23.cfm
Cholma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:05 am

I only wear white socks with sneakers (thick woolly socks) or with my dancing shoes (thin cotton socks).
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:00 pm

MarkusN wrote:(You don't happen to be red-green blind? I mean this seriously, many males are, and a good percentage don't even know.)

Is *that* where they got the name for the TV show? (yes I am Canadian)

Anyway, looks good so far. I also see Joe as a jeans man, and white sock wouldn't look so weird if his pants were blue. I do not, however, like the paint job on the inside of the house. Maybe that's because my house has off white colors and that is what I'm used to, but the purple looks a bit off.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby RebLaw on Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:13 pm

hey I know I haven't been here in a while... but I got creative today :-)

RebLaw
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gigafreak on Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:17 pm

Whoa! Ceilidh in Christmas colors! But didn't we just establish that purplish was not a good wallpaper color? Twice? :D

Color-changing skirt, heh.

It's okay, though...
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby paradon on Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:26 pm

Okay, I usually avoid art-type stuff at all costs, 'cos I suck at it, but I don't know what got into me today...

Here's my version, based on RebLaw's version above.

Please don't hurt me too bad... it's my first attempt ever at colouring anything... :-?

I'm not real happy with the colour of James Page's' sweater, but I didn't know what colour to change it to. :(

paradon
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Avalon