Bad Art in a piece of bad art! (Fanart)

Furries + college life + Vince Suzukawa = one great comic strip!

Moderator: ClassMg

Bad Art in a piece of bad art! (Fanart)

Postby CJGarver on Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:12 pm

OK, I wouldn't be posting it if I thought it was BAD, but you get the point. :)

Anyway, as I was correcting midterms and wondering why the students who had slept through the test hadn't come up with better excuses for it, I came to a shocking realization: there are practically no pieces of fanart for any of the CM villains, some of whom are in desperate need of it (*COUGH* RYAN *COUGH*), despite the important role they play in the strip of making the good guys look...well, good in comparison. Yes, even Biff. Furthermore, there are NO pictures of the human versions of the male villains to be found anywhere. Being a conscientious fan of Class Menagerie, not to mention easily distracted once I get an idea in my head, I felt the strong need to correct this situation, and then mangle it by coloring it. Hence:

Comments and criticisms appreciated; I'm always seeking to improve. Remember, you want it to look good when I do the girls, right? :)

CJ
<i>"I wanna be the minority,
I don't need your authority,
Down with the moral majority,
'Cause I wanna be the minority."
-Green Day, "Minority"</i>
CJGarver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Bad Art in a piece of bad art! (Fanart)

Postby Mr. Hunt on Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:35 pm

CJGarver wrote:I came to a shocking realization: there are practically no pieces of fanart for any of the CM villains, some of whom are in desperate need of it (*COUGH* RYAN *COUGH*), despite the important role they play in the strip of making the good guys look...well, good in comparison.

What ho! I, the clear resident grump of this forum (well, more sparodic than ever, but STILL resident grump) has delievered the evil that was Algernon in a swim suit guest-starring his similiary-evil buddies not too long ago! As a villain myself, I refused to be ignored! Pay attention to me!

All right, FFVII obscure references aside...

Good job on the pic, of course ;) Especially like the little details, like Art holding a crocdile-skin bag and Alg's shoelaces untied. In comparison with the other two Ryan seems a tad more ordinary...but he has the hairstyle of evil villains, so that is good indeed. My only complaints is that Alg seems to be less pudgier than I expect him to be (long legs?), and Art's hands seemingly a tad stiff.

By way, what is the little blue triangle at Ryan's hand?
Mr. Hunt
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tegeran on Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:49 pm

I pretty much agree with Mr. Hunt here.

I think Ryan came out best of the lot, and Al's legs look just a bit long.

I'm wondering what that is in Al's right hand behind his back... looks dangerously like some sort of remote :o

Mr. Hunt wrote:By way, what is the little blue triangle at Ryan's hand?

I think his thumb is in his pocket. I stand like that a lot, esspecialy on the rare occasions I'm forced into wearing jeans.
Tegeran
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CJGarver on Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:15 am

Mr. Hunt wrote:What ho! I, the clear resident grump of this forum (well, more sparodic than ever, but STILL resident grump) has delievered the evil that was Algernon in a swim suit guest-starring his similiary-evil buddies not too long ago! As a villain myself, I refused to be ignored! Pay attention to me!

Heh, notice that I said "practically" no fanart of them. Trust me, I'm sure that NONE of us have forgotten that pic of Al. No matter how hard we may try. :wink: Not to mention the fact that Lord Emsworth also did multiple pics of Ryan. I was just saying there could stand to be more, that's all. :) Wish I could remember what part of FF7 that was from. One of the Shinra execs? Or Don Corneo?

Yeah, Tegeran's right about the "triangle"; Ryan's just standing with his thumb in his pocket. Algernon obscures most of the pose, I suppose. I'll admit it; Algernon's the chubbiest character that I've EVER drawn, so I might not have enough experience to do him justice (hmm, maybe he should look more like Cheng Sinzan?). As for the legs, I think I have a natural tendency towards drawing them on the long side, although I don't think he's all THAT short. Something to watch out for, I guess. :)

Yes, that's a remote in Al's hands. And a crocodile-skin case in Art's. And I'm pleased that Ryan seems to have come out the best. But you knew that already, I bet. :P

CJ
CJGarver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Alfador on Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:48 pm

I think it's Don Corneo, at the scene in Wutai where two characters are tied to a rock, then the Turks show up. I think. My memory of FF7 is far too bad, I must play it again sometime.

Three-tailed fox, in the house...Fox Den, that is!
Alfador
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mr. Hunt on Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:31 pm

CJGarver wrote: Wish I could remember what part of FF7 that was from. One of the Shinra execs? Or Don Corneo?

Actually, I think that line is used a lot in a lot of other media. This one I particularly remember from FF7 was when you enter the play in the amusement park as Cloud and Aerith - if you keep on choosing the stupid options, you'll get to a part where Aerith slaps Cloud silly, and the dragon goes "Rarrrgh! I'm ignored! Pay attention to me! Rarrrgh!", so Aerith punches him out of the stage.

Heck, that was one of the funniest parts of the game. I managed to get Tifa instead of Aerith (which requires HOURS of playing), but could never get Barrett to go out with Cloud. I am eternally frustrated.

One thing I always remembered about the Shinra execs (not just the black-suited ones) was that they all had their different versions of laughing. And then if you fight them, they have these sort of strange "lose" poses, where they try to act like "I have something more important to do, haha" and run the other direction.

(hmm, maybe he should look more like Cheng Sinzan?)

*remembers Cheng Shinzan from one of the Fatal Fury 3s* Ok, that's evil enough...
Mr. Hunt
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ClassMg on Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:08 pm

Yes, Ryan definitely came out great! He's got the right attitude, with the slouch and sidelong glance. He's like "I don't WANT any fanart of me, dangit!!" Al's eyes are great, too. I don't think his legs look too long, personally. Art...well, I think HE should be more overweight. I think he'd be downright flattered by that picture. The alligator suitcase is a hoot, it's just the kind of reference I'd have slipped into a Bikeeni pic. No, I WON'T be doing one of Art.

Thankee much, CJ :wink:

Vince
ClassMg
Keenspot Despot

Postby Buckeroo on Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:14 pm

Hey! It's Wall Street Kid! And he's stopped smiling incessantly! I guess he finally realized what kind of selfish bitch of a girlfriend he has...

Okay, enough of the cryptic, obscure pop culture references. But if anyone got that, GOOD FOR YOU!

You know, you guys are missing one other characterization on these human characters that speaks out for who is who... look at the back of Ryan's head...
"I knew things were getting bad when I started getting spammed in another language..." -- Me, upon receiving unsolicited e-mail in Spanish.
Buckeroo
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to The Class Menagerie