Comic-Con 2002 Discussion Thread

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Would you be interested in a GPF get-together at Comic-Con this year?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:05 am

Yes, I'll be there and I'm definitely interested in a get-together!
17%
No, I won't be at the con, but I'll be in the area. Let's meet!
6%
No, I won't be at the con, and I can't join you off-site. Sorry.
78%

Total votes : 18

Comic-Con 2002 Discussion Thread

Postby jtdarlington on Thu May 30, 2002 5:05 am

You know... Someone reminded me this morning that while we've been talking about a GPF get-together at Dragon*Con in another thread, there hasn't been any discussion of at Comic-Con! :o So here we go!

Are you planning on coming to Comic-Con International, America's largest popular arts and comics convention? It will be held this August 1-4 in San Diego, CA, USA. Keenspot is planning a big presence there this year (for more info in Keenspot's plans, check out the KeenCon II Forum), and we'll be there once again, hopefully with books, shirts, and perhaps even Fred dolls in tow.

If you're interested in a GPF fan gathering sometime during the con, please respond to the poll above. Like the Dragon*Con poll, the gathering could be as formal or informal as you'd like; we can either meet for an hour or two "under the sails" just to talk, or we can make reservations at one of the fine Gaslamp Quarter restaurants for lunch or dinner. Help us decide! The poll will close July 20th, a couple weeks before the con.
Last edited by jtdarlington on Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Limax on Thu May 30, 2002 10:06 am

I am planning to be in the area that weekend, but am still working out the details of getting down there.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spark05 on Fri May 31, 2002 8:19 pm

Sry, comic con is on the wrong coast for me. :(
"Pshycos don't explode when sunlight hits them! I don't care how crazy they are!" -Seth Gecko, From Dusk Till Dawn

"Well, would you describe yourself as completely fire resistant... or just extremely fire resistant?" -Gordon Frohman, Concerned

Spark05
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:16 am

i'm in the area, but haven't decided if i want to brave the crowds - also , dragon-con struck me as rather expensive - any idea what comic-con costs?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:15 pm

mouse, we'll be glad to have you if you can come. Here's the info from the Comic-Con Registration page:

FULL, FOUR-DAY MEMBERSHIPS
Pre-Registration (DEADLINE: JUNE 12, 2002)
Adults: $55
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+): $27

FULL MEMBERSHIP AT-THE-DOOR PRICES
Adults: $60
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+): $30

SINGLE DAY MEMBERSHIPS
Pre-Registration (DEADLINE: JUNE 12, 2002)
Adults (Thur/Fri/Sat. only): $20.00
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+) (Thur/Fri/Sat. only): $10.00

Adults (Sunday only): $10.00
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+) (Sunday only): $5.00

SINGLE DAY MEMBERSHIP AT-THE-DOOR PRICES
Adults (Thur/Fri/Sat. only): $25.00
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+) (Thur/Fri/Sat. only): $12.00

Adults (Sunday only): $15.00
Juniors (7-16)* & Seniors (60+) (Sunday only): $7.00

*Children under 12 free with PAID adult membership.

You can download the multi-purpose registration form (PDF) here:
http://www.comic-con.org/media2/MultiPurpose2002.pdf

One thing to keep in mind: this thing is HUGE. A single-day pass really isn't enough to see everything, unless you're only interested in specific things. If you're only planning to come on a single day, my suggestion would be Friday. That's because the Keenspot panel will be that day (no time set) and I'm pretty much guaranteed to be there the entire day. (I'll be arriving about midday Thursday and may not be there Sunday.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:39 pm

It looks like one way or another I will be in the area. With or without family still has to be answered. If I'm without family, I'll probably come to the con for a day, especially at those prices. If not, I'll find some way to be around for a 'special' gathering, if there is one. More to come, as usual.......
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

decisions, decisions

Postby mouse on Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:26 am

i'm pretty much only into web comics these days (unless they have a booth with the entire canon of pogo books on sale) - so maybe i'll see about cruising by on friday....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

In town.

Postby Geeki on Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:18 am

Considering I live in the area I will be there. Also, several co worker's read this strip on aregular basis, so perhaps we will see if we can all drop by your table...But I will stop by the booth and /wave.

:)

-geeki
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Solara Hanover on Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:28 am

Ummmm Geeki-

::POKE::

Consider yourself officially welcomed :)
Save the whales, collect the whole set!

http://www.myspace.com/SolaraHanover
Solara Hanover
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Spark05 on Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:47 am

greetings, solara! Since Ur new urself..................

POKE

Welcome to the GPF message boards! I am Spark05!

:D
"Pshycos don't explode when sunlight hits them! I don't care how crazy they are!" -Seth Gecko, From Dusk Till Dawn

"Well, would you describe yourself as completely fire resistant... or just extremely fire resistant?" -Gordon Frohman, Concerned

Spark05
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Geeki on Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:27 am

Solara-

Thankies. I used to post on the old board a LONG time ago.. been a long time fan...
related to Ki on a few levels.

-me
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

ACK!

Postby Geeki on Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:33 am

:cry:

Saw an ad last night for Comic-Con.

*blinked*
*looked again*
*blinked*

they made it the same days as Defcon....so I wont be able to attend... as that Fri-Sunday I will be in vegas.
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jalthos on Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:50 am

I live 20 minutes from the Convention Center. I'll definitely be there! :P
jalthos
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kmd on Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:18 am

Welcome jalthos!

*POKE*

See you at Comic Con!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:42 am

I haven't made any arrangements for a place to stay while I'm down there. I have friends in the area, but I'm not sure if I want to impose on them.... my hope is to find a cheap motel 6 somewhere within the city limits.....
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

hotel :

Postby Geeki on Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:33 am

Prior to moving to SD from Los Angeles I came down every year. Hotels in dowtown while withen walking distance of the convention center can be expensive. There are a few motel 6's types not that far away. One year I stayed in one right off the 8, in La Mesa. About a 15 minute drive down there. There is also Hotel Circle right off of the 8 as well near Mission Valley which is also only about a ten minute drive to dowtown. I would call around but cost of living is pretty high in SD right now, so expect expensive motels, even as the Motel 6's go. I think they are around 65/night for the cheapy motels. Downtown around 180/night I believe....but I think that was what we paid two years ago. Also parking in downtown is going to suck!

oh and can I rant about hotel accomodations? I am going to vegas that weekend already made my travel arraingements... and the pricing is astounding!

Rio on thursday night, 59. Rio on Friday night 190. /boggle... amazing! And because of conference everywhere is almost booked in vegas. My friend had to stay in a motel 6 last year and paid 85/night!

bah!
/rant off

bah.
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

another thought...

Postby Geeki on Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:35 am

Jeff,

Hey want any geek artifacts from Defcon? It is a 'hacker conference'

Thought you might like a t-shit. I have a few from prior years, like the 'God...root...what is difference'...
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

Re: another thought...

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:20 am

Limax, C-C has an online hotel reservation form, but good luck if you want to use it. The cheapest with rooms still available was $142/night. TravelNow.Com has a few listed for cheaper, but I don't know how far away they are. I got mine pretty early, and it was still pretty pricey (don't remember exactly how much, though).

Here's another interesting thing to do in San Diego: The Computer Museum of America is just a few blocks from the convention center. My wife and I passed it walking back to our hotel last year, but they were closed. Well, I just found their Web site and they're definitely open (they were moving from another location last year). I'm seriously thinking about making a trip there one day during the con. It might even make an interesting Faultie gathering place, if anyone were interested.

Geeki wrote:Hey want any geek artifacts from Defcon? It is a 'hacker conference'

Heh heh... I wouldn't turn any down, Geeki. What you do with your money is up to you. :) (Here's the DefCon Web site, for anyone that's curious.) Heck, if I hadn't already committed to C-C, I might have tried to talk Plan Nine into going. We looked rather out of place at the Super Computer Show in Raleigh, NC, in January, so we certainly couldn't do much worse!
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby kmd on Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:25 am

Limax, another thing to keep in mind about CC is that they run buses to a lot of the hotels all day long, and well after the con is over. So even though our hotel wasn't super-close, it was just a quick TOTALLY FREE bus ride away, courtesy of Comic Con.
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:33 am

... if the hotel is one of the participating hotels. If it isn't, transportation is up to you. (You could always cheat and travel to the nearest bus stop, then catch the bus there.)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:43 am

Yeah... at this point, I'm just playing it one day at a time... my wife and I need to discuss what will be happening, since we will have just returned from Tahoe. It is my intention to be there, although things have happened before. That's why I was thinking Motel 6, since you don't need a reservation.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:09 am

uhhhh - you might not _need_ a reservation, but (especially for the hotel circle one) it's not a bad idea to try - they _do_ fill up. (the old convention center is right behind hotel circle - don't know if there is anything on that weekend, but i wouldn't bet against it) the la mesa one might be ok, but you will definitely need to provide your own transportation from there. (from hotel circle there will undoubtably be buses)

actually, scratch transport from la mesa - depending on where the hotel is, the san diego trolley runs from la mesa. (this is also a possibility to avoid parking fees - park offsite)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:34 am

A coworker was kind enough to give me his copy of the ComicCon brochure, so I can find the trolley stops/shuttle stops in it. The ideal thing, I know, is to find something not too far away from one of these stops. Hmmm....
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Travel:

Postby Geeki on Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:00 am

travel shouldnt be a problem... MOST likely hotel circle will have several lines running over there, and if not you can get just about any hotel off the trolley. The red line runs about every 15 minutes (San Diego isnt too bad for public transportation)... I used to take it into work until job location moved my office from Downtown to right by Qualcomm. Also, i *think* you might even be able to see Fireworks from Sea World down by the convention center at night.

*side note*
Jeff- several of my co-worker's who are going to Defcon read your strip, and last year we all were sitting around drinking (which is what you do at Defcon...) and your strip came up in conversation. Several of the geeks I know and see there and only at Defcon read you...so getting free swag for you probably wont be a problem :) I will just mention I mentioned it to you on the site and most of them will probably run over to read.

I always thought it would be cool to see Fooker at something like Defcon. The other conference they went to was cool.. but I always thought since the FBI and NSA go there to recruit, shouldnt Fooker's top secret agency go there to look for other hackers' as well? Of course I am not sure the world is ready for Fooker in vinyl.

-me
Geeki
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:50 am

The Comic-Con event schedule is slowly but surely being posted on their main site: http://www.comic-con.org/pages/2002Countdown.html

Once the full list is out, I'll be posting which panels I'm interested in going to. Like last year, I'll probably post a likelihood percentage that I'll be there (seeing that I'm planning to spend as much time as possible at the actual booths). You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be at the Keenspot panel on Friday.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Next

Return to General Protection Fault